Sign in to follow this  
wilcal

New bikeway to connect Downtown, Midtown and the Museum District on La Branch and Austin

First of all, there is a public meeting on this tonight at 6:30 PM. I'm planning on attending, so if anyone has any questions that they want me to ask I'll be more than happy to do so.

You can see how this fits into the Houston Bike Plan here, on the greater 3rd Ward section http://houstonbikeplan.org/implementation/infrastructure/third-ward/

I was initially upset that nothing was planned to connect all of the way to Hermann Park, so it's welcome to see that extension. HOWEVER, it appears they are not going to utilize both La Branch and Austin with a dogleg on Alabama? Hard to understand how we can't find a single street to continuously run a straight bike lane on. 

Based on the flyer stating partnership between CoH and Prct 1, have to think that this will be funded by part of the $10 mil from Ellis. 

I thought Caroline was being rebuilt with a bike lane?  I guess I was conflating this project and the Caroline rebuild

51 minutes ago, wilcal said:

First of all, there is a public meeting on this tonight at 6:30 PM. I'm planning on attending, so if anyone has any questions that they want me to ask I'll be more than happy to do so.

You can see how this fits into the Houston Bike Plan here, on the greater 3rd Ward section http://houstonbikeplan.org/implementation/infrastructure/third-ward/

I was initially upset that nothing was planned to connect all of the way to Hermann Park, so it's welcome to see that extension. HOWEVER, it appears they are not going to utilize both La Branch and Austin with a dogleg on Alabama? Hard to understand how we can't find a single street to continuously run a straight bike lane on. 

Based on the flyer stating partnership between CoH and Prct 1, have to think that this will be funded by part of the $10 mil from Ellis. 

I think the dogleg runs on Holman, not Alabama.

47 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Yep, you're right. And that makes much more sense. 

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

I thought Caroline was being rebuilt with a bike lane?  I guess I was conflating this project and the Caroline rebuild

From what I understand, they are both going to have them. Each being a one-way. 

22 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I asked last night, and the dogleg is going to be on HCC's campus (at Winbern). About to do a writeup. 

Report from last night: first of all, it was surprisingly packed. Every seat full plus 30-40 SRO, so maybe around 100 people?

PDF of the presentation not available online yet, so my phone photos will have to suffice.

Timeline: 50% design early Feb. 90% design late Feb, 100% design mid-March, Construction begins late March.

Here is the proposed system as a whole. They are thinking that construction on all 4 of these will be mostly done by the end of the summer! 

pXE9VPW.jpg

The detailed #2 segment:

Ngyj4Hx.jpg

The route will extend from a soon to be built plaza at Austin street on the north end of downtown, where the parks board will be joining the westbound and eastbound bike trails together. 

They originally were going to split the north and southbound bike trails to Caroline and Austin, but due to Caroline being a clusterf*ck with construction for the next 2 years, they are going to go 2-way just on Austin.

YC5x54J.jpg

So a reduction of one lane and parked cars between the street and the protected bike lane. Big thumbs up for this solution. This will run from the north side of downtown all of the way to McGowan.

Next section:

5yNmqrN.jpg

This is where the only negative comments came from. Several townhome owners from the Anita/Tuam area were there and mildly perturbed that there would be a parking reduction.

Peter Eccles actually handled this pretty well. Total loss of parking spots would be 37 spaces. One homeowner, who identified himself as a bicyclists, was unconvinced that it made sense to eliminate the parking and had they studied it. He said that it had been studied, and that the parking in the area never topped out above 45% utilized, and that was actually during the day when it was likely that construction workers were parking. At night, it varied from 30-35% utilized. The 37 spaces were equivalent to 7% of the parking. (Ed. comment by me: rekttttttt)

One homeowner said that although his parking would be affected, the bike lane was so so much more important (raucous applause followed).

All intersections with lights would have the bike traffic lights added to give bikers a few extra seconds to enter the intersection.

NmhWbgE.jpg

At HCC, the project would dogleg over one block, and that dogleg would occur in HCC's campus at Winbern. Everything south from there would be sharrows, so shared on-street with cars and bicycle arrows painted on the street.

QbiJvUz.jpg

At either Prospect or Calumet, the sharrows would dogleg over to Crawford. Crawford at Hermann will likely be turned into a four-way stop. 

They received feedback from the children's museum that they didn't want to have the bike lane going through when they have so many buses parked along the street there. 

Let me know if y'all have any questions. 

Edit: presentation looks to be up now http://houstonbikeplan.org/implementation/infrastructure/austin-corridor/

Edited by wilcal
  • Like 2

A little disappointing that they are going with Sharrows for the last segment (did they say why?) but overall it looks good

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cspwal said:

A little disappointing that they are going with Sharrows for the last segment (did they say why?) but overall it looks good

It's a big disappointment.

They did talk a little bit about it. I think the leading reason was that they've decided with certain low traffic thresholds it's not worth upsetting people by removing street parking. 

• Like 1

So cool, this has pretty much been my weekend trike route to get downtown from Rice for years! I welcome the influx.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 11:07 AM, cspwal said:

I'm disappointed that they chose to jog over from Austin to La Branch and Crawford, rather than just going the other way at Alabama to get to Caroline. they'd only need 3 blocks of sharrows at that point. after that, it becomes wide enough to handle different configurations.

1 hour ago, samagon said:

I'm disappointed that they chose to jog over from Austin to La Branch and Crawford, rather than just going the other way at Alabama to get to Caroline. they'd only need 3 blocks of sharrows at that point. after that, it becomes wide enough to handle different configurations.

Please email Peter Eccles and tell him that! 

I'm still bummed out we won't have protected lanes all the way through.