Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

That would be Kahn's Deli on Rice Blvd. Unfortunately, Mike Kahn sold it a couple of months ago and my understanding is that he's no longer affiliated with the business at all. Supposedly the new owner did a complete new buildout of the interior as well, but I haven't been by there to confirm that.

I miss Alfred's. Best potato soup I've ever tasted.

My understanding is that Mike took on a partner and the website indicates he's still involved.

When I drove by the place several weeks ago the sign indicated the revamped place will be open evenings.

Everybody who ever ate at Alfred's misses the place. It was my go-to place for years after I moved to Houston in 1970.

My understanding is that Mike took on a partner and the website indicates he's still involved.

When I drove by the place several weeks ago the sign indicated the revamped place will be open evenings.

Everybody who ever ate at Alfred's misses the place. It was my go-to place for years after I moved to Houston in 1970.

Alfred's...a great place....I remember going to the original one on Almeda in the early 60's....wonderful roast beef sandwiches.

Unless something's changed very recently, that's no longer the case.

Not saying that the new ownership shouldn't be given a fair chance once the changes shake out; about the only thing that's certain right now is that it will be different.

Yea I also remember a "Poor Folks" on the west side of S.Post Oak south of Willowbend that closed down and morphed into a funeral home...no crude comments needed. :blush:

Just remembered another joint, an all you can eat franchise--how many remember "Sveden House"? one in Oak Forest area, South Park pre MLK...

Edited by readam

:D

thanks to all who responded to the alfred's in rice village. what a shock to drive down rice from greenbriar and not see it. the sour cream cheesecake from the bakery gave me so much comfort food back in the late 60s. they also had fruit topped cheesecakes, but the sour cream topped one was so good.

...also, a kosher bakery called 3 brothers are braeswood had the BEST onion rolls. and, 3 brothers still is there and not all that different except for prices, of course.

again, anyone know anything about the old albritton cafeteria on waugh drive not far south of allen parkway? it just may be too far in the past for most of you.

ding

Never ate there, but if nothing else they should have saved the giant shrimp with six-shooters!

That wasn't Kaphan's. I think that was Gaido's or Christie's. It was a seafood restaurant, in particular, Kaphan's wasn't.

Edited by val619

Does anyone remember an Italian market called, Zampieri's.... or something like that. It was a god-send to my Sicilian grandmother who transplanted herself in Texas in 1970. I thought it was where Mandola's Deli is on Telephone Rd./Leeland.

And what about the LC Cafeteria downtown under Woolworth's?

how about Phil's off s.shepherd? i remember the mason jar out on katy frwy...

i remember the fillin'station on richmond with all its memorabilia... does anyone know if don jose mexican restaurant is still on antoine and pinemont? mr. clark and his first wife were some of the nicest people...i was their first customer when they opened...

anyone remember "the goldmine"? They had the best prime rib.

can anyone tell me the name of the steakhouse that used to be at the intersection of

t.c. jester and ella? it had been in the building that "the smorgesboard" restaurant used to be in... anyone remember roznovsky's store off of birdsall and washington? that was the best place for cheesburgers and longnecks...

all this talk is making me hungry :blink:

I remember "Poor Folk" on Fondren and 59 freeway. Their chicken and dumplings were wonderful. I also remember they had a big black and white poster of John Wayne right there as you came into the place.

Yes, I remember that place very well. I think the name was actualy "Po' Folks", wasn't it? It was too bad that the place went downhill so bad, because the last year or so that it was open those chicken and dumplings turned into something more like dumplings in dish water! :(

Does anybody remember the name of the restaurant, that was back in the corner of that same shoping center? This would have been mid 70's, and where the martial art's studio is now. We used to eat there at least once a week, and now I can't remember hardly anything about it.

Regards,

Rhino

again, anyone know anything about the old albritton cafeteria on waugh drive not far south of allen parkway? it just may be too far in the past for most of you.

There is a picture of Allbritton's in 1996, as well as one of its demolition the same year, on this website (scroll down to the bottom). The property was purchased by American General. I can't remember exactly when it closed, but it was still open in the early 1990s, as I ate there a few times then when I was working nearby.

how about Phil's off s.shepherd? i remember the mason jar out on katy frwy...

i remember the fillin'station on richmond with all its memorabilia... does anyone know if don jose mexican restaurant is still on antoine and pinemont? mr. clark and his first wife were some of the nicest people...i was their first customer when they opened...

anyone remember "the goldmine"? They had the best prime rib.

can anyone tell me the name of the steakhouse that used to be at the intersection of

t.c. jester and ella? it had been in the building that "the smorgesboard" restaurant used to be in... anyone remember roznovsky's store off of birdsall and washington? that was the best place for cheesburgers and longnecks...

all this talk is making me hungry :blink:

Phil's has been 59 Diner for years now and there are several locations.

Was the steakhouse Texas Tumbleweed? When the chain went belly up that location continued to operate as Pecos Grill until just a year or so ago.

I always heard of Roznovsky's at that location but never got to go - too far from work.

Several from long ago in my childhood when we used to come to Houston to see my grandparents:

-Kapan's on South Main at Kirby (where the Eckerd's is now), our usual Sunday after church lunch place - good steaks and seafood, and those excellent crab ball appetizers that the guy in the white suit used to bring around to all the tables

-Angelo's, another long gone seafood restuarant

-The Strawberry Patch on Westheimer, the Pappas family's country/home cooking concept (Pappas Bros. Steakhouse is there now)

-Tokyo Gardens, the first place I ever had Japanese

I grew up on the East End of Houston and after high school we moved to the Tanglewood area. We ate out a lot and here are some memories of long gone restaurants and cafes:

Derrick Drive Inn-on Winkler near South Houston

Holt's Drive Inn-on Evergreen in Pecan Park

Aunt Bea's Cafe-on Broadway

Las Vegas Inn-on Telephone

The Wishing Well-on Telephone

Tomek's Steakhouse-on Old Galveston Rd.

Bertha's Mexican Restaurant-Pasadena,South Main,Downtown and lastly on Montrose

Charlie Lung's Mexican Restaurant-Post Oak Rd. and lastly on Hillcroft

Petty's Steakhouse-on Post Oak Rd. and lastly on Richmond Ave.

Elliott's Steakhouse-on Almeda Rd.

Chicken in the Skillet-on West Gray

Clear Creek Inn-in Kemah

Robinson's Cafe-in Kemah

Salina's Seafood-in Seabrook

Eric's Restaurant-in Seabrook

Kibby's Hamburgers-on South Richey in Pasadena

Ship Ahoy Restaurant-on South Main

Youngblood's Fried Chicken-South Main and other locations

Simpson's Diner-on Main St.

Dudley's Hamburgers-on Holcombe Blvd.

Chuck Wagon Hamburger's-on Broadway and other locations

Chicken Shak-on North Shepherd

Tinsley's Fried Chicken and Roll's-various locations

Later in college at UT-Austin:

Bag of CHicken-on South Lamar

Lung's Cocina del Sol-on Burnet Rd.

Hank's Grill-on "the Drag"

Hamburger Bar-near S.W.Bell Bldg. downtown

Casaraghi's Italian Food-west of Lamar off W. 6th St.

Lung's Chinese Food-on San Jacinto

Mi Casa es Su Casa-downtown(near the Capitol)

Matt's Big Four Mexican Restaurants-various locations

The Red Barn-in northwest Austin(a Jack Ray concept-he later started Texas Tumbleweeds and other concepts)

Night Hawk Restaurants-various locations

G.M. Steakhouse-on "the Drag"

The Bierstube Restaurant-on Riverside Dr.

Holiday House Hamburgers-on "the Drag" and other locations

Villa Capri Restaurant-at the Hotel on I-35

The Gondolier-at the Hotel on I-35 and Riverside

The Summer House Restaurant-on South Congress at The Terrace Motel

Chicken Delight-Near the campus

Burger Chef-on South Lamar

Toddle House-on 19th Street

Big Daddy Pizza-in Goodall Wooten Dorm on "the Drag"

Mooreburger-on 19th Street

Yes, lots of memories!

Phil's has been 59 Diner for years now and there are several locations.

Was the steakhouse Texas Tumbleweed? When the chain went belly up that location continued to operate as Pecos Grill until just a year or so ago.

I always heard of Roznovsky's at that location but never got to go - too far from work.

thanks bruce...yes, it was texas tumbleweeds

phil's had good cfs

the best cfs i had was at tomball at goodsons when mrs goodson was still cooking in the the little white building on the backside of tomball

one of those would sure be good right now :rolleyes:

thanks bruce...yes, it was texas tumbleweeds

phil's had good cfs

the best cfs i had was at tomball at goodsons when mrs goodson was still cooking in the the little white building on the backside of tomball

one of those would sure be good right now :rolleyes:

Champs, does anyone remember this place that was located on Braeswood in the SW part of Houston during the 1980's? It was right next door to where Beldons is today? This location of Champs is now a Mexican food pub like eatery.

Champs was more like a diner like place that served breakfast and hamburgers and randomness. Plus I liked the place because I was able to play the arcade games that were in the front of the cafe as my parents ate the rest of their meal. Plus the waitress would always ask us if our food and everything okay at the end of the meal.

Plus there was another Champs on Fondren and West Bellfort which is now a Shell Gas Station.

Edited by Aland11223

Some other restaurants I remember:

La Hacienda de Los Morales - Located at West Belt and Deerwood They had the best frozen margaritas I've ever tasted; very nice ambiance and good food, though I remember that this was an expensive place for me at that time.

The Mexicatessen - Downtown next to the original Treebeards. Cheap meals with fresh ingrediants. Ate there around 1980-1981. And then one day it was gone....

The Flying Tiger - near the corner of Gessner and Westheimer in the Woodlake Shopping Center. Around 1979-1981. Lots of great memories. Might have been the dates more than the food.

"Lockwood Inn and Cozy Kitchen barbecue on Lockwood and 1-10 East Frwy"

The old BBQ Inn on Crosstimbers and Yale is still there ... and I remember Price's 19 cent hamburgers ... they had a hamburger stand on Bingle Road, I believe. And what was the name of that all you can eat Mexican food place on Longpoint? Also, I had several dates at the Copper Goblet on Hempstead Highway near I-610; it was my favorite restaurant in the 1970s. Wienerschnitzel on Longpoint is now Otilia's Mexican Restaurant.

price's hamburgers were on wirt road just below long point...

the mexican restaurant was panchos mexican buffet...they opened in the mid-60's next to palais royal...the buffet was $1.49

monterrey house was on wirt road next to fed-mart...

western kitchen just around the corner from fed-mart had the BEST bbq...you could watch the meat being sliced for plates and sandwiches and they had the biggest baked potatoes... :rolleyes:

price's hamburgers were on wirt road just below long point...

the mexican restaurant was panchos mexican buffet...they opened in the mid-60's next to palais royal...the buffet was $1.49

monterrey house was on wirt road next to fed-mart...

western kitchen just around the corner from fed-mart had the BEST bbq...you could watch the meat being sliced for plates and sandwiches and they had the biggest baked potatoes... :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, there used to be a Panchos on Bellaire Blvd...that's the first one I remember...

Champs, does anyone remember this place that was located on Braeswood in the SW part of Houston during the 1980's? It was right next door to where Beldons is today? This location of Champs is now a Mexican food pub like eatery.

Champs was more like a diner like place that served breakfast and hamburgers and randomness. Plus I liked the place because I was able to play the arcade games that were in the front of the cafe as my parents ate the rest of their meal. Plus the waitress would always ask us if our food and everything okay at the end of the meal.

Plus there was another Champs on Fondren and West Bellfort which is now a Shell Gas Station.

Did Jim's become Champs? Very similar, kind of a Denny's. I remember/or not many late night pig out sessions at Champs and Jim's. :P

OK, I got a new oldie that hasn't been mentioned:

Huber's Seafood on Travis near Allen's Landing.

I mentioned upthread an oyster bar/seafood restaurant that had live Jazz, but could not remember

the effin' name.

I just talked to my friend Joe a '73 Bellaire grad, living in Portland OR now, and he remembered it

straight away.

Thank God for friends cuz at 53 I'm finding my memory is already not what it used to be.

As far as the restaurant, I remember it mostly for the cold, fresh oysters on the half shell

and the sweet tunes of saxophonist Arnett Cobb.

Maybe some other 'oldtimers' can chime in with their memories of this colorful downtown restaurant.

Did Jim's become Champs? Very similar, kind of a Denny's. I remember/or not many late night pig out sessions at Champs and Jim's. :P

Yes they did, as well as most of the JoJo's.

There was also the Champ's at 59 & Gessner, and 59 & Murphy. I spent many a 3:00am at that Murphy location.

Yes they did, as well as most of the JoJo's.

There was also the Champ's at 59 & Gessner, and 59 & Murphy. I spent many a 3:00am at that Murphy location.

I had forgotten all about Jim's. Was there a connection between Jim's, Champ's and JoJo's?

There was also a Jim's/Champ's on Hillcroft @ Westward?, where there's a Conoco station and strip center now. I was in that one several times with friends, otherwise would never have been there. Went to the one on Murphy @ 59 once for breakfast when it was JoJo's, once for dinner when it was Champ's.

The only one of those buildings still standing is the one on N. Braeswood @ Chimney Rock which was Pastine's, an Italian place, for a while and is now El Ranchero.

I had forgotten all about Jim's. Was there a connection between Jim's, Champ's and JoJo's?

There was also a Jim's/Champ's on Hillcroft @ Westward?, where there's a Conoco station and strip center now. I was in that one several times with friends, otherwise would never have been there. Went to the one on Murphy @ 59 once for breakfast when it was JoJo's, once for dinner when it was Champ's.

The only one of those buildings still standing is the one on N. Braeswood @ Chimney Rock which was Pastine's, an Italian place, for a while and is now El Ranchero.

There was a Champ's on I-45 between West Rd. and Aldine Bender (FM 525). Had many a drunken breakfast there, once saw two waitresses get into a food fight. Last time I was in the area, there was a Mexican Seafood restaurant on the site (the building was completely remodeled and was painted Taco Cabana pink).

In cleaning out a bookshelf I found an old book from my college days: Houston Epicure from 1981. It was a collection of menus. Here are a few scans, if you'd like to see any others please let me know.

contents002.jpg

Wow. Thanks for posting that. It was a little before my time here, but I do remember some of those places: Ouisies on Sunset,

Cattle Guard in Midtown was a trendy place for "yuppies" (this was the 1980s) for five minutes or so. There was another restaurant nearby that was nice the name of which escapes me. It was between Brazos and Bagby, and it had kind of turquoise painted metal work. Paradise maybe?

Wasn't Armandos the Mexican place on Louisiana near the Pierce Elevated and then at Mercado?

Uncle Tais on Post Oak I remember thinking was way overrated.

as someone who has been away almost 40 years and is now back, can anyone say what happened to these?

albritton's cafeteria on waugh dr close to dallas? great twice baked potatoes

Jetton's cafeteria on richmond maybe at buffalo speedway? close to greenway plaza

ding

I've never found anyone else - besides my siblings - who remembers Jaton's (wasn't it spelled that way?) My family rarely ate out, but this was a favorite cafeteria. I remember huge lines going out the door on Mother's Day or Father's Day. I asked my brother about it recently - he said it is now one of those medical buildings on Richmond behind Greenway.

Marmer, thanks a bunch for saving and sharing your booklet. I would dearly love scans of menus for Hobbit Hole and Ouisie's as keepsakes and to share with my family. We were recently dining at the "new" Hobbit and I was trying to explain how different the menu was way back at the original place. We did Ouisie's not just for the food, but for the great name, "Ouisie's Table and Brown Bag Traveling Company."

As for the cafeteria in question, Apollopride, I remember it spelled as Jetton's.