Historic Houston Restaurants

groovehouse

No but my father would take me to Sonny looks ...for his afternoon stop before going home...How funny...I have not thought o that place in years...Anyone remember The black angus or the cellar door?

Ah, The Cellar Door! The best BBQ, ever, on Bellaire Blvd. between Academy and Weslayan. I worked for 4 years in the SWBT building a literal stone's throw from the restaurant and spent as many lunchtimes as possible lapping up the excellent food. 15 years after that, I'd run by for the take-out for the family when I didn't want to cook. Their Boston Cream Pie was literally to die for, if you missed that, you missed tasting heaven.

By the way, the owner had one of the largest homes in West University on Buffalo Spdwy. I was heartbroken when they closed up shop.

No but my father would take me to Sonny looks ...for his afternoon stop before going home...How funny...I have not thought o that place in years...Anyone remember The black angus or the cellar door?

Ah, The Cellar Door! The best BBQ, ever, on Bellaire Blvd. between Academy and Weslayan. I worked for 4 years in the SWBT building a literal stone's throw from the restaurant and spent as many lunchtimes as possible lapping up the excellent food. 15 years after that, I'd run by for the take-out for the family when I didn't want to cook. Their Boston Cream Pie was literally to die for, if you missed that, you missed tasting heaven.

By the way, the owner had one of the largest homes in West University on Buffalo Spdwy. I was heartbroken when they closed up shop.

I grew up ion West U...i remember when they built that house....way back then we called it "Tara". I dated her nephew forever...

Poohbear! Always great to hear of someone from the neigborhood. Although the time factors are way off, I am sure, I grew up at 4226 University and my cousins lived at 3724 Jardin in Southside. Stayed around, my daughter went to St. Mark's and West U. Elementary. After some years away, she is grown and lives on Community. Nothing quite like it.

On topic, I only went to The Black Angus once, was very nice, but I didn't find the steak tasted different than any other breed served elsewhere.

You are Greek? How about that incredible shish-ka-bob they served at the Greek Festival every year at the church? Now, that was superior.

Poohbear! Always great to hear of someone from the neigborhood. Although the time factors are way off, I am sure, I grew up at 4226 University and my cousins lived at 3724 Jardin in Southside. Stayed around, my daughter went to St. Mark's and West U. Elementary. After some years away, she is grown and lives on Community. Nothing quite like it.

On topic, I only went to The Black Angus once, was very nice, but I didn't find the steak tasted different than any other breed served elsewhere.

You are Greek? How about that incredible shish-ka-bob they served at the Greek Festival every year at the church? Now, that was superior.

i lived at 5724 Buffalo...Then 2807 quenby......My husband is greek and his father use to own the Black Angus.... The greek fest food is incredible!

• 2 weeks later...
Alfie's was actually very delicious! I can just mentally picture the neat little basket of fish & chips now! (forget about the Slimfast right). :blush:

and Steak & Egg was also a very great place to have a nice fresh steaming breakfast and good coffee! We had one for years at intersection of 45 & Telephone Road right next to the huge Coca-Cola neon billboard sign. Was our teen hangout for a good while. It finally closed around earky 80's?

Although Taco Bell is still here, how many remember when the Taco Bell's all had that big FIRE pit flame as you walked in the front? I had to light that blasted thing on ocassion while working there!

In 76 that silly jingle/slogan was "Come to Taco, taco, taco , taco, Taco Bell". :lol:

I remember that! One of the first Taco Bells I can remember had that fire pit and was over on Bellaire near the Broiler Burger...

The one over on Beechnut? I used to go all the time back during high school. I missed my cheese melts when they closed.

Right across Beechnut from Meyerland Center, at the end of the strip center, across the parking lot from the carwash.

Great place. "Zappo's _andwich Land", IIRC, the S was missing for a long time. I think my parents got tired of my wanting to go there; Schlotzky's is a pale imitation, of the Zappo sandwich.

These threads have really brought back some great memories....Absolutely loved my time growing up in Houston during the 60's and 70's..

Wanted to put in a mention for The Mariner, near Westheimer and Fountain View. There was one on 1960 close to Champions also, and both were outstanding.

I loved that clown too, not to mention the old building design which was actualy a box.

Not sure thats the reason they got rid of it though. I think it was just a part of some goggle faced executives' plan to spruce up the company's image, and make it more upscale. :lol: This was the same time that they introduced the "steak sandwich" which actualy was a steak on a hoggie roll. It wasn't too bad either.

The biggest goof they made though, was blowing up the drive thru clown in the TV comercials. Do you remember the lawsuit that resulted from that. One family sued the company saying that their child would no longer go to Jack in the Box because she was having nightmares about the clown exploding, and was even scared to pass by one on the street! If memory serves....they won!

It was years before anyone saw "Jack" again.

Well, I actually posted an "expose" in a nutshell on my blog here, to demonstrate the great changes...

Man, you guys seem like you're having a blast discussing Houston restaurants! I had done a similar, unrelated thread that didn't do very well.

Edited by IronTiger

Three Alfred's locations:

Alfreds.jpg

My stepfather was food buyer for the Alfred's delis on Rice and Stella Link in the sixties. There were many nice people who worked there, and the store portion of the delis carried off the wall favorites like chocolate covered ants and Tiger's milk (don't ask).

The deli and bakery were always great, and the powdered sugar dusted brownies were solid chunks of chocolately goodness.

Inside Khan's high up on the walls are blown-up black and white graphic photos of the old deli, and when I mentioned to Alfred's son that my stepdad worked there, he said, "You mean Henry? He's right over there" and pointed to him in the photo.

Anyone remember the Town and Country Alfreds? It was modelled after a Swiss Chalet, complete with a painted-life sized diorama of Alfred wearing lederhosen on a Swiss hill.

Anyone have any photos of the stores?

My stepfather was food buyer for the Alfred's delis on Rice and Stella Link in the sixties. There were many nice people who worked there, and the store portion of the delis carried off the wall favorites like chocolate covered ants and Tiger's milk (don't ask).

The deli and bakery were always great, and the powdered sugar dusted brownies were solid chunks of chocolately goodness.

Inside Khan's high up on the walls are blown-up black and white graphic photos of the old deli, and when I mentioned to Alfred's son that my stepdad worked there, he said, "You mean Henry? He's right over there" and pointed to him in the photo.

Anyone remember the Town and Country Alfreds? It was modelled after a Swiss Chalet, complete with a painted-life sized diorama of Alfred wearing lederhosen on a Swiss hill.

Anyone have any photos of the stores?

Why yes, as a matter of fact. :)

alfreds771.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Ducho's Steakhouse just off N. Shepherd.

Alfie's Fish & Chips on Ella

The old Monterrey House Restaurants.

Butera's.

Dirty's on Shepherd.

I used to like H. Salt Fish and Chips...anyone remember those? The fish and chips came wrapped in paper that looked like an old newspaper.

I remember Alfies, but don't recall eating there...

Does anyone remember a downtown oyster bar in the vicinity of Old Market Square?

I'm not talking about Massa's. This was a full seafood restaurant with an emphasis

on it's fresh oysters and live jazz.

I remember eating there and listening to Arnett Cobb. I think it was the early 80s.

Could it have been the Ten Fathoms???

How to succeed when you open up a new restaurant : Don't put the word "Orleans" in the title!

www.B4Ueat.com (great site, by the way) lists 12 restaurants in the Houston area that have "Orleans" in their title. Of them, 8 have closed recently.

GONE:

Best New Orleans Seafood

Cafe Orleans Express

Cajun New Orleans Seafood Kitchen

N'awlins Seafood Kitchen

New Orleans Pizza Joint

NOLA's New Orleans Seafood Restaurant

Original New Orleans Po-Boy

Versash - A New Orleans Style Bar & Grill

LOOK OUT! (STILL WITH US):

A Taste of New Orleans

Little Taste of New Orleans

New Orleans Cajun Kitchen

Orleans Seafood Kitchen

Not sure what this means. Back to work!

Does anyone remember Hebert's Steakhouse near downtown? It was a restaurant in an old, 2-story frame house with the best steaks and shrimp cocktail with their signature (and killer!) remoulade sauce. Their neon sign had a bear on it and it read "A Bear's" so people would know how to pronounce their name. I went on many a date there, including with my husband. As I recall, the restaurant burned down in the 80's (?) and was never rebuilt.

Does anyone remember Hebert's Steakhouse near downtown? It was a restaurant in an old, 2-story frame house with the best steaks and shrimp cocktail with their signature (and killer!) remoulade sauce. Their neon sign had a bear on it and it read "A Bear's" so people would know how to pronounce their name. I went on many a date there, including with my husband. As I recall, the restaurant burned down in the 80's (?) and was never rebuilt.

Somewhere around here there are pictures and a menu of that place.

Doe's Anyone remeber the name of a Middle Eastern deli that was located on West Alabama nect to teh Stop and Go that was torn down to make way for the Annuncation Orthodox School gym. I think it may have been Micheal's. The food was good there. I could walk from my UST dorm to it in two minuets.

Just for you, marketingwiz....

Excerpts from an '80's menu...

th_HebertsMenu2recr.jpg

th_HebertsMenu3recr.jpg

There is more on Hebert's near the beginning of this thread where I posted a 1941 menu.

Anyone remember Zappos sandwich shop in Bellaire?

My husband grew up in Bellaire at the corner of Maple and Rice and he LOVED Zappo's. When we first started dating in 1980, that's the first place we went out to eat together. It was his favorite place. AND, he used to bus tables at Herfy's Steakhouse in Bellaire.

Just for you, marketingwiz....

Excerpts from an '80's menu...

th_HebertsMenu2recr.jpg

th_HebertsMenu3recr.jpg

There is more on Hebert's near the beginning of this thread where I posted a 1941 menu.

THANK YOU '57! Unfortunately nothing is showing up on your post so I'll search for your 1941 menu of Hebert's. Nice to know someone else remembers it.

My favorite was the Cyclone Anaya's that was on Durham at Center (Washington). I know they have opened a new one on Woodway and now even one on Durham, but they will never compare to the one I use to visit on a regular basis. I can remember getting out of the car in the cruddy parking lot in back and smelling the meat cooking. My favorite was the Tacos el Carbon they served with Black Beans. And the Top Shelf Margarita.... one would make you wobble a bit and two could put you down. So Chuy, if you are reading this...we don't want a fancy place, we just want the good food and drinks that use to be. And Rico, I liked the salsa that your dad use to make.

Yes, Chuy and Rico, I hope you've gotten your tacos al carbon together since you stiffed the ad agency I was working for (1982) for all your billboards, matchbook covers and menus when you tried to open your first restaurant together in Katy. Great location for authentic Mexican cuisine! No wonder it failed. But at least you kept your gold nugget chains and avocado green Mercedes convertible.

Does anyone remember a restaurant in The Galleria called "Shucker's", at least I think that's what it was called. The all you could eat boiled shrimpfor $5.99 was awesome, but you had to peel'em yourself. It was a nice little "sportsbar" type of place.

As far as I know, it's still there. I believe I've had oysters there in the past year.

Restaurants I miss:

Los Troncos (built in/around a huge tree)

Rice Hotel Coffee Shop and the downstairs cafeteria

Pier 21 near Braeswood and Fannin

The Red Lion on S. Main, north of Braeswood

Kaphan's

The Polyasian on S. Main, south of Braeswood

Alfred's on Stella Link

Trader Vic's on Gessner, near Westheimer

Wow Albert, I was just thinking about Los Troncos! But I thought it was called The Treehouse and it was located on Westheimer? My dad took me there for my birthday while I was still at A & M. We literally had to crawl up into a wooden booth that was elevated above the floor as were the other booths. Do you think this is the same restaurant?

I've been looking at this post for a while so if I repeat any places forgive this neophyte, this is my first reply...Here goes

Griff's hamburgers (in Bellaire)

Although the Griff's chain is long defunct, several are still in business. In fact, I have been meaning to eat at the one in Denver for years. It is highly rated by locals, and I have not tried it. So today may be the day!