Urbannizer

2805 White Oak Dr

On 10/17/2019 at 1:22 PM, s3mh said:

Also, the neighborhood is getting a bit frothy about the parking garage.  The developer for the garage needs a variance because there is a pending minimum lot size application for that section of the Heights.  Planning commission will be getting an earful on Oct 31.

That MLS application, covering the area between Oxford and Studewood, from the south blockface of 6½ St to the north blockface of 9th St, was pretty clearly designed to prevent development of the two lots on the corner of 6½ and Studewood (the 3rd lot from the corner is classified commercial already). The south blockface of 6½ is predominantly 3300 sf TH lots, and the MLS area was extended north until the 70% lot size cutoff reached 6250 s.f.

When the planning commission considered the application, they approved the staff recommendation that the south blockface of 6½ be excluded, and the modified area be forward to city council for approval.

There is also an application for JUST the south blockface of 6½, also in an effort to block development of the two lots on the corner. (The lot on the corner of Oxford, slated for multi-familty development, would not be affected since it's not currently restricted to SF residential). The developer has retained Richard Epstein (a law professor with a fair amount of expertise in takings law) to argue that since those two lots were already used for commercial purposed by Sara Fitzgerald, it would be inappropriate to restrict them to single family use. (Both of these applications were submitted AFTER the developer acquired the land, and at least one if not both were submitted after the structures were demolished.)

The second MLS application almost certainly meets the ordinance requirements (78% of the block face is SF residential, albeit at around 3200 s.f. lot size). Presumably the variance sought by the developer is to codify the land use for those two lots as other than single family residential, which would mean they would be unaffected by any MLS application. If that variance is rejected, it will probably result in litigation.

• Like 1

Originally posted February 20, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project - all of which the OP never includes when they create a thread that would be helpful for others to see as a reference (months or years later) or for those who view this forum on their tablets or cell phones and don't want to download PDF files to see additional details). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages.

On 2/19/2018 at 6:51 PM, Urbannizer said:

More on the new retail development proposed for the parking lot at 2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston.

The property is marketed by Centric Commercial REA.

From the Loopnet listing:

Gross Leasable Area:10,000 SF 

Near the corner of Studemont and White Oak Dr. A High Profile retail/restaurant location, in the heart of the Vibrant Historic South Heights. A beautiful, and unique building being built , as part of the already bustling South Heights district. A high curtain wall of glass will cantilever, and overlook White Oak Bayou. This is a one of a kind location, with a one of a kind construction.

From the brochure:

2805 White Oak Blvd is a unique restaurant/retail pad opportunity located in the heart of the historic Houston Heights neighborhood.  This site is surrounded by a vibrant mix of critically acclaimed restaurants and bars, historic Victorian era homes, and eclectic retailers. Situated where
White Oak meets the Heights Hike & Bike Trail, this 10,000 SF retail development serves as an exciting opportunity to connect with the pedestrian scene that this neighborhood is known for.

• Up to 10,000 SF of restaurant and retail space available

• One of the very few lots of this size in the Heights 
Historic District zoned for new development

• Direct access to and from the Heights Hike &Bike Trail, 
a 6.8 mile stretch of well-traveled pedestrian walkways
connecting the Heights to downtown Houston

YmAkEAd.jpg

mqlyNgy.jpg

Photos of the property, which functions as a parking lot, Photos are from the Loopnet listing.

lPd1j4h.jpg

wHDVWFh.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Originally posted February 20, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project - all of which the OP never includes when they create a thread that would be helpful for others to see as a reference (months or years later) or for those who view this forum on their tablets or cell phones and don't want to download PDF files to see additional details). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages.

Site mao and site plans for the new retail development proposed for the parking lot at 2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston.

This comes from the brochure.

2WoUItU.jpg
(direct link to non-compress, full sized image (easier to zoom in)

XB2fQAD.jpg

(direct link to non-compress, full sized image (easier to zoom in)

I wasn't  able to 

Proposed rendering for the new retail development proposed for the parking lot at 2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston.

iwSLCE0.jpg

Originally posted February 27, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 

More on the new retail development proposed for the parking lot at 2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston.

From Swamplot:

A NEW shopping center dubbed South Heights on White Oak has plans to land in the shared parking lot on White Oak Dr. just west of the former Jimmy’s Ice House at Threlkeld St. The rendering at top — taken from a leasing flyer for the development put out by Centric Commercial — views the proposed woodsy building from the north side of White Oak Dr., at the edge of the lot between Christian’s Tailgate and Barnaby’s Cafe. On the east side of the building, a deck fronted by a glass curtain wall cantilevers over a drainage ditch that runs north from White Oak Bayou through the woods between the site and the neighboring ice house.

...Only 
5 spots are planned for the 10,000-sq.-ft. building’s parking lot, indicated in the site plan with one way in and one way out onto White Oak. However, the owner of the property — an affiliate of automated parking developer Easy Park — is the same entity that bought the yellow car hangar across the street and appears to have plans to dramatically increase that lot’s car capacity
:

http://swamplot.com/new-modern-retail-center-to-park-next-to-former-jimmys-ice-house-dangle-deck-over-ditch-on-its-side/2018-02-27/

Originally posted May 1, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 

Updated Loopnet listing of 2805 White Oak Dr. This is the development South Heights on White Oak Dr. under construction in the Heights in Houston.

Discussion of the automated parking garage next to the Fitzgerald's building is here.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2904-2920-White-Oak-Dr-Houston-TX/15766084/
(archive link)

DdUnG7g.jpg

Originally posted May 1, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages.

Updated brochure and site plan of 2805 White Oak Dr.

This is the development South Heights on White Oak Dr. under construction in the Heights in Houston.

Discussion of the automated parking garage next to the Fitzgerald's building is here.

Tenants proposed include:

Karne
Chick'nCone

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/956CVFRE-hTe3nbegF5EesWV5JWE0WIPKlbXtS9lyhQ/document.pdf

(archive link)

T09htTB.jpg
(direct link to non-compressed, full sized image: link )

j7r3DoI.jpg

(direct link: link )

• Like 2

Originally posted June 7, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages.

Chick'nCone confirmed a restaurant is opening at South Heights on White Oak Dr. This is the development in the Heights (Houston) at  2805 White Oak Dr from Chicago-based developers My Park Easy. Houston-based Centric Commercial Real Estate Advisors are the brokers for the property.

From the website:

Coming Soon: 2805 White Oak Dr. Houston Heights, opening in 2020

https://www.chickncone.com/locations

Originally posted June 7, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages. Archive link to page 2 is here.

On 5/2/2019 at 6:56 AM, Angostura said:

Chick'ncone is a small chain serving chicken-nuggets-in-a-waffle-cone, with locations in NYC, Dubai, Colorado and the Woodlands.

Light googling didn't turn up anything on Karne, but one assumes it's a steakhouse of some sort.

Here's more on the restaurant Karne (possibly?) and the rest of the new development at  2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston. This was updated recently.

The development is named South Heights on White Oak and is from Easy Park in Chicago.

This comes from their other company Verde, which is their retail and apartment arm (I posted about this company in another thread):

Just across the street, we are under construction with a new building leased to a Korean restaurant opening its first restaurant outside of New York City.

The seating area will include an outdoor patio cantilevered over the White Oak ravine. A chicken and waffle cones restaurant concept will also open in the building in 2020.

We have a live camera on location and soon visitors to our web site can see ongoing construction in real time.

https://verdecommunities.com/retail/

Originally posted July 6 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages. Archive link to page 2 is here.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:28 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Here's more on the restaurant Karne (possibly?) and the rest of the new development at  2805 White Oak Dr in the Heights, Houston. This was updated recently.

The development is named South Heights on White Oak and is from Easy Park in Chicago.

This comes from their other company Verde, which is their retail and apartment arm (I posted about this company in another thread):

Just across the street, we are under construction with a new building leased to a Korean restaurant opening its first restaurant outside of New York City.

The seating area will include an outdoor patio cantilevered over the White Oak ravine. A chicken and waffle cones restaurant concept will also open in the building in 2020.

We have a live camera on location and soon visitors to our web site can see ongoing construction in real time.

I'm not sure when this site map and site plan were uploaded by Hunington Properties, but it shows  more details about Karne.

Yesterday, I found a blurb on Verde's website (the retail arm for Easy Park) that Karne  will be a Korean restaurant  at the South Heights on White Oak. This is the new retail building under construction in the Heights at 2805 White Oak Dr.

A marketing brochure for South Heights on White Oaks shows Karne as a Korean barbecue restaurant. The upload date in the url for the pdf file shows September 2018. It's possible this is old because the proposed automated parking garage is shown still on the site of 2912 White Oak Dr instead of the new site at 2714 White Oak Dr.

https://www.hpiproperties.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/south-heights-on-white-oak.pdf

ALxuelJ.jpg

J0xM8VR.jpg

Originally posted July 25 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 
retrieve  everything I contributed to this forum, mostly what was posted on the first page last year (included earlier renderings, updated renderings, earlier site plans, archived links to leasing brochures and Loopnet listings, and earlier reports of the project). However I was able to save pages 2  from this thread and will repost content I shared (and found) previously from those pages. Archive link to page 2 is here.

A blurb about the retail development South Heights on White Oak at 2805 White Oak Dr in Houston. This is a project from Easy Park and their retail arm Verde.

This blurb comes  from an article published yesterday by The Leader. This was included in a bigger report on proposed plans for the former Fitzgerald's property (and the two lots behind it) at 2706 White Oak Dr (thread about the Fitzgerald's property was moved to Going Up yesterday😞

From The Leader:

Across White Oak Drive and a little bit to the west, South Heights on White Oak is under construction at 2805 White Oak Dr. According to online leasing information, the plan is for 10,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space.

...HCAD records show the under-construction retail development, along with the group of businesses across the street, are on property owned by South Heights Purchase LLC, which shares a Chicago address with Easy Park.

...Verde Communities’ Marilyn Jimenez confirmed they are all affiliated with Easy Park. 

https://theleadernews.com/mixed-use-development-targeted-for-fitzgeralds-site/

Originally posted July 25 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order), and may include outdated information,  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before.

I wasn't  able to 

Construction progress photo of South Heights on White Oak at 2805 White Oak Dr.

This comes 
from The Leader:

p36gJYg.jpg

On 5/1/2019 at 11:26 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Updated brochure and site plan of 2805 White Oak Dr.

This is the development South Heights on White Oak Dr. under construction in the Heights in Houston.

Tenants proposed include:

Karne
Chick'nCone

https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/956CVFRE-hTe3nbegF5EesWV5JWE0WIPKlbXtS9lyhQ/document.pdf

(archive link)

T09htTB.jpg
(direct link to non-compressed, full sized image: link )

j7r3DoI.jpg
(direct link: link )

Light googling didn't turn up anything on Karne, but one assumes it's a steakhouse of some sort.

On 7/5/2019 at 7:28 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

On 10/17/2019 at 11:22 AM, s3mh said:

Restaurant tenant announced for this development. 

Karne Korean Steakhouse, an upscale riff on the traditional Korean barbecue joint, will soon open its doors in the Heights.

The new restaurant at 2805 White Oak Drive is a project of Korean fried chicken haven Dak & Bop owner Jason Cho and restaurateur Moul Kim, who operates the much-lauded Jongro BBQ in New York. Also involved in the restaurant is Mike Chen, a dumpling-obsessed YouTuber with millions of followers.

Blending traditional steakhouse offerings and Korean barbecue favorites, Karne will serve bite-sized chunks of top-notch steaks grilled right at the table by an “expert” server, a bountiful selection of banchan (small Korean side dishes), and updated versions of classic steakhouse dishes. A lengthy list of wines, soju, and a full bar will also be on offer. The restaurant sounds a whole lot like New York City’s Michelin-starred Cote, which also boasts fancy meats grilled at the table by servers.

...Right now, Karne Korean Steakhouse is raising funds for construction on its space via crowdfunding platform NextSeed. Stay tuned for more details on its arrival.

https://houston.eater.com/2019/10/17/20919161/karne-korean-barbecue-opening-houston-heights

More on Karne From the Nexseed campaign for the restaurant.

Karne is the upscale Korean barbecue restaurant coming to South Heights on White Oak . This is the new development from EasyPark and Verde. It's under construction at 2805 White Oak Dr in the White Oak District of the Heights in Houston.

https://www.nextseed.com/offerings/karne

Karne anticipates opening July 2020.

The floor plan was included on the campaign site:

HzBqfnP.jpg

There is a website for Karne (the domain and page are parked only):

http://www.karnekoreansteakhouse.com

Karne is the upscale Korean barbecue restaurant coming to South Heights on White Oak . This is the new development from EasyPark and Verde. It's under construction at 2805 White Oak Dr in the White Oak District of the Heights in Houston.

An update on Easy Park and Verde's retail development in the Heights: South Heights on White Oak. This is located at 2805 White Oak Dr,.

In a variance request for 742 6 ½ St  and 746 E 6 ½ St (the lots behind the former Fitzgerald's venue soon to become a development from Easy Park and Verde), details about South Heights on White Oak were included  before the city of Houston  Planning Commission on October 31.

Here's a blurb from the meeting, reported by Virtual Builders Exchange:

Construction on the strip to be known as South Heights on White Oak has since been completed and Levine plans to turn the shops over in a few weeks to several tenants that have signed leases and are ready to complete the interiors.

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-a-not-so-easy-park-in-the-heights/

And included in the variance request form regarding South Heights on White Oak ( 2805 White Oak Dr  )

The new retail structure is ready to be delivered to retail tenants in early November, however, the tenants will not be able to open without the *supplemental parking that cannot be built without the approval of this plat.  The City of Houston provided the construction permit for this new building which requires  the  supplemental  parking  in  February  2019,  before  the  Special Minimum  Lot  Size  Application. 

* possibly describing the automated parking garage

Posted today in the 2706 White Oak Dr thread for the EasyPark mixed-use development on the site of the former Fitzgerald's:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/23638-2706-white-oak-dr-multi-story-multifamily-formerly-fitzgeralds/?do=findComment&comment=607687

1 hour ago, Angostura said:

In the intervening two weeks, it appears staff uncovered an approved parking plan for 2805 White Oak that included three spots on the these lots to meet the minimum requirements. That parking plan pre-dates the MLS application, which means that those lots should have been coded commercial in the MLS application. As a result, the planning commission approved the Holcombe Heights North replat  (lots at 742 E 6 ½ St and 746 E 6 ½ St) without a variance.

• Like 1

The third tenant signed on for South Heights on White Oak is Houston-based pizza restaurant Russo's New York Pizzeria from what I've heard. I think the 2805 White Oak Dr location will become their standard restaurant since their upcoming brewhouse or in-house brewery concept is being built nearby.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4