A couple years ago, the Towers Motor Hotel at 2130 W. Holcombe was demolished to make way for a Metrontario development called the Life Science Plaza. Metrontario's site gives this information:

"This project is currently in the pre-construction phase, with over 100,000 square feet (9,300 square meters) already leased"

Does anyone know if this is current, or if there is any newer information on this project?

This is the sign on holcombe (pre-demolition, but it is still there)

http://arch-ive.org/towers/tow004.jpg

http://ephemera.arch-ive.org/postcards/towpc002.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
A couple years ago, the Towers Motor Hotel at 2130 W. Holcombe was demolished to make way for a Metrontario development called the Life Science Plaza. Metrontario's site gives this information:

"This project is currently in the pre-construction phase, with over 100,000 square feet (9,300 square meters) already leased"

Does anyone know if this is current, or if there is any newer information on this project?

This week's issue of the HBJ has an article about this building.

When it was originally announced in March 2003, it was going to be an 11-story building with 210,000sf.

As of now, it will be a 13-story building with 300,000sf. Seven floors of office space atop six levels of parking. The building will cost $80 million. Groundbreaking is or was this week.

The primary tenant will be a Cornerstone hospital with 70 beds. The first floor will have a fitness/wellness center.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
This week's issue of the HBJ has an article about this building.

When it was originally announced in March 2003, it was going to be an 11-story building with 210,000sf.

As of now, it will be a 13-story building with 300,000sf. Seven floors of office space atop six levels of parking. The building will cost $80 million. Groundbreaking is or was this week.

The primary tenant will be a Cornerstone hospital with 70 beds. The first floor will have a fitness/wellness center.

crud. And here I had been assuming from the name that it was going to be laboratory space for research renters. Lab space in Houston would be extremely nationally competitive compared to the construction prices and carrying costs in Chicago, California, Massachusetts... and if enough of it were built near the universities and hospitals, Texas could begin to consolidate a position in life science. Otherwise I think that the growth will be in North Carolina, Florida, and maybe Georgia.

• Like 1

crud. And here I had been assuming from the name that it was going to be laboratory space for research renters. Lab space in Houston would be extremely nationally competitive compared to the construction prices and carrying costs in Chicago, California, Massachusetts... and if enough of it were built near the universities and hospitals, Texas could begin to consolidate a position in life science. Otherwise I think that the growth will be in North Carolina, Florida, and maybe Georgia.

Big lab space projects have been tried and have flopped. From what I've heard, usually when a little startup firm is onto something, they need venture capital to make it work, and then the financiers want the firm to relocate to one of the biotech hubs so that they can more easily keep an eye on them.

Another problem is that government incentives to biotech firms are very substantial. They're really the flavor of the day for economic development officials, and as much as has to be paid to lure them, I'm frankly glad that the incentives that Texas puts out there tend to give biotech lipservice but be applied to less glamorous sectors.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not sure if this has been posted yet but I recently became a new member of LA Fitness and the sales rep told me that a facility was being constructed on the corner of Main and Holcombe (mentioned the site near the BK) and slated to open in the summer (2008). I am currently employed in the vicinity and I have noticed that area overwhelmed by daily construction.

However, I could not find a report on their website to back this comment but I searched and found a consulting firm involved with designing contracts in the U.S. and with the proposed LA Fitness facility:

http://www.advtechinc.com/Projects/feature.../la_fitness.htm

Welcome to the system and good catch.

I don't know if any of the members know about this, but I know *I* didn't know about it.

Kinda' makes me curious as to how well used it is going to be, lord knows employees with a long commute will probably use the hell out of it while the traffic empties out.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but I recently became a new member of LA Fitness and the sales rep told me that a facility was being constructed on the corner of Main and Holcombe (mentioned the site near the BK) and slated to open in the summer (2008). I am currently employed in the vicinity and I have noticed that area overwhelmed by daily construction.

However, I could not find a report on their website to back this comment but I searched and found a consulting firm involved with designing contracts in the U.S. and with the proposed LA Fitness facility:

http://www.advtechinc.com/Projects/feature.../la_fitness.htm

Appreciate the welcome......Yeah, it totally makes $sense$ to open a commercial fitness center straight in the TMC especially with the accessibility that it will welcome. I am very surprised that there are no other "commercial" fitness centers in the vicinity. There is no doubt that they will gain alot of attention and revenue from the employees/students who directly work or study in the area. The closest competitor is 24 Hour Fitness which is located down the road on Holcombe and Greenbriar away from the central congestion.

The site does mention a 5-story parking structure but it will be interesting to see how they will cooperate with members of the gym and TMC employees/visitors. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Isn't the Life Sciences Plaza really close to the Greenbriar 24 Hour Fitness? At least this one will be a shorter walk form the Metro. I know a bunch of people who will probably go there since it's going to be in walking distance.

ROFL Well, of course you did, Niche. Of course you did.

Yep, spoke with the guy at Metrontario. Would've been about this time last year, perhaps a couple months further. I recall him being very enthusiastic, a noticable change from when I'd spoken to him the time before that.

Isn't the Life Sciences Plaza really close to the Greenbriar 24 Hour Fitness? At least this one will be a shorter walk form the Metro. I know a bunch of people who will probably go there since it's going to be in walking distance.

Wouldn't you want to have a longer walk when going to work out?

Not necessarily, depends on how much of a rush I'm in and other factors like weather. I don't mind the heat as much as some people, but walking 30 minutes to a gym and back in July might suck more than walking 5 or 10 minutes to the gym and back.

Yep, spoke with the guy at Metrontario. Would've been about this time last year, perhaps a couple months further. I recall him being very enthusiastic, a noticable change from when I'd spoken to him the time before that.

LOL Yes, yes... and let me guess... you don't remember his name, or, better yet, can't reveal his name because that might expose your identity. ;-)

LOL Yes, yes... and let me guess... you don't remember his name, or, better yet, can't reveal his name because that might expose your identity. ;-)

As a matter of fact, you are correct. I can't remember his name. I'm terrible with names.

ROTFLMAO.

I just spoke with the Donald.

Funny you say that.

A partner of mine on a particular real estate deal ran into 'The Donald' several months ago in Manhattan. My friend called out to 'The Donald' as he rounded the corner with his entourage as he was about to exit the building, 'The Donald' stopped and my friend introduced himself on my behalf, pulled out one of my cards, handed it to 'The Donald', advising him that I'd be a good bird dog for the Houston market, and then watched as 'The Donald' looked it up and down, pouted his lips and nodded slightly, handed the card to an assistant, turned around, and continued on his way.

I kid you not. ...of course, I'm sure nothing will come of that chance encounter, but it makes an interesting story to tell people like the owner of my firm, if only to keep him on his toes.

As a matter of fact, you are correct. I can't remember his name. I'm terrible with names.

You know, as someone once said, "If it isn't on written down, it didn't happen."

I get all sorts of interesting information from eavesdropping or whatever, but most I never mention. One that I didn't think was very interesting I really couldn't post on here (no real relevance and no one would really care), but I wanted it on record in case it DID come through, so I just mentioned it to someone on the system and THEY can be my proof. :) Perhaps you should try that sometime.

You know, as someone once said, "If it isn't on written down, it didn't happen."

I get all sorts of interesting information from eavesdropping or whatever, but most I never mention. One that I didn't think was very interesting I really couldn't post on here (no real relevance and no one would really care), but I wanted it on record in case it DID come through, so I just mentioned it to someone on the system and THEY can be my proof. :) Perhaps you should try that sometime.

What can I say, it didn't strike me as very interesting at the time. :shrug:

now THAT I can relate to.

With so much happening, one doesn't really know what is important or not. "The Mix" development is one of them. I didn't think it was important until someone else pointed out we haven't talked about it.

if you knew, why didn't you tell us ?!?!?! do you hate us or something ??

If I told you everything I knew (especially as of yesterday afternoon), your head would start doing 360s on your shoulders, you'd start bleeding from the eyes, nose, and ears, and shortly thereafter would spasmatically collapse into a pool of your own bodily fluids, all the while involuntarily flailing your limbs randomly.

Be thankful that I practice discretion.