Winkler Drive-In Theater At 205 Winkler Dr.

Ashikaga

As I said, I've been trying to find out about that drive-in theatre that I went to when I was a little kid (the Winkler). I saw on a street map that it was located at the corner of Winkler Drive and Flowers Street. I looked up that intersection on GlobeExplorer.Com. In that space of land that the Winkler was on I saw some other businesses. Could anyone tell me what their names are? It looks like the front of them are facing Interstate 45, so their addresses should be listed as Gulf Freeway.

along plum creek lane there are some run down apartments, and also some new cheapie homes are going in around there.

i believe flowers st. runs alongside the home depot (flowers st. turns in to plum creek lane south of winkler, and plum creek ends at telephone rd...)

Thanks. Now I think I understand. For example, one person told me that a Home Depot is now where Globe Department Store on Woodridge was, then someone else told me that a Lowe's was in that spot. So, according to you, it's a Home Depot in the spot where the Winkler Drive-In Theatre was, and Lowe's is now where Globe was?

i am having a hard time placing the globe store, but the current home depot is cornered by I-45, woodridge, flowers, and winkler...

the lowe's is cornered by telephone, woodridge, and 610

From what I remember from back in the early 1960s, the Globe Department Store was on Woodridge which ran alongside Gulfgate. I think that I can remember a car dealership next door to Globe. Like I said, one person told me that a Home Depot was in that space, and another said that a Lowe's was there. My memories are over 40 years old.

the Lowe's address is gulfgate mall; the Home Depot's address is 6810 Gulf Freeway

You're right. I just looked up Home Depot's website. It is located at 6810 Gulf Freeway. Looking from GoogleEarth.exe and GlobeExplorer.com I saw a big business on the spot of ground where the Winkler Drive-In Theatre once stood.

I try to look at things from a historical perspective. If I were standing at that Home Depot, I would look and see a screen and all of the parked cars. And I would see a 4, 5, or 6 year old kid in one of those vehicles where everyone's eyes are affixed on the screen. That little kid was me.

• 2 months later...
I am putting this confusion to rest one and for all.

The Globe was next to Frizzel's Pontiac AMC which was next to the existing Wendy's

The Globe turned into Mervyns. That entire area is now Lowes.

Thank you.

I can help with the confusion here.

fc681089.jpg

The Globe was next to Frizzel's Pontiac AMC which was next to the existing Wendy's

Thank you.

Globe turned into Fedmart. After it closed around 82, I believe the building was either demolished or altered then opened as Mervyns

I absolutely need to dust off my time machine and go buy some of those cars from Frizzel. :D

Yes, the price of one of those cars back then wouldn't cover a down payment today.

How did you get that old newspaper page? There are some things that I'd like to try to look up.

How did you get that old newspaper page? There are some things that I'd like to try to look up.

If I read the date correctly, I'd say he saved it from the Kennedy assassination, like I did. I'll have to go back and check out some of those ads. I also saved newspapers and magazines from the first moon landing.

Yes, the price of one of those cars back then wouldn't cover a down payment today.

Shoot, I'll work with anybody that has at least $500 down. ;)

• 4 months later...
fyog1g.jpg

"It's always a 'Whale of a Deal' at Frizzell's Pontiac City"

:lol:

Since I haven't been able to find a photo of the Winkler Drive-In Theatre, I posted the aerial photo of Winkler Drive & Flowers Street (where the Winkler was located) from GlobeExplorer.Com on DriveIns.Com. I think that someone out there told me that a Home Depot is now in that spot.

• 2 months later...
I can help with the confusion here.

fc681089.jpg

Wow! In 1963 a 1956 Pontiac cost only $495? Today, a seven-year old car would be a 1999 model. Maybe that's about right. If the ratio of today's and 1963s dollars is 10 to 1, then a seven-year old car today would cost $4,995. Am I on the right track?

Thank you.

Are you saying that Mervyn's is now gone and that only Lowe's is there?

• 1 year later...
Thanks. Now I think I understand. For example, one person told me that a Home Depot is now where Globe Department Store on Woodridge was, then someone else told me that a Lowe's was in that spot. So, according to you, it's a Home Depot in the spot where the Winkler Drive-In Theatre was, and Lowe's is now where Globe was?

About a year ago someone said that he drove down Winkler Drive just east of where it intersects with Telephone Road. He said that there's still an old rusty sign standing that has a arrow pointing "Winkler Drive-In Theatre." Have any of you driven down there recently and are able to verify that?

From what I remember from back in the early 1960s, the Globe Department Store was on Woodridge which ran alongside Gulfgate. I think that I can remember a car dealership next door to Globe. Like I said, one person told me that a Home Depot was in that space, and another said that a Lowe's was there. My memories are over 40 years old.

With the bad things I've been hearing in the news about Home Depot, it might go out of business. If it does, then some nostalgic and benevolent investors will have it demolished, clear the land off, and build a new Winkler Drive-In for those who wish to go back to a simpler time.

• The title was changed to Winkler Drive-In Theater At 205 Winkler Dr.

Archived