Guadalupe Plaza Park At 2311 Runnels St.

Guadalupe Plaza Park renovation started.  Will be a one year project.

I saw this on the Greater East End website

http://www.greatereastend.com/guadalupe-plaza-park

Are they going to re-align the intersection (Runnels/Navigation/Jensen/Franklin)?  I know there were some plans to put in a round-about. Also will the TBH still be part of the new Plaza?

A roundabout would be very nice. Really they should be putting more roundabouts in this town as they are better at maintaining a continuous flow of traffic and are better for connecting multiple intersections.

The rendering looks good, but holy crap they need a new webmaster xD that image is super tiny on that webpage (of course when you click on it it's fine, but still).

Found this rendering on www.talentobilingue.org , which shows.  I understand, from a neighborhood acquaintance, that this project may currently in the bidding process. This sooo needs to happen and it is the perfect intersection for a roundabout.  Combined with the Guadalupe Park re-do...this will be a great and distinctive gateway to this side of town.

post-11710-0-85577200-1403119805.jpg

Edited by Naviguessor

Great to see new parks, or in this case existing park spaces reinvigorated and renovated!  The East End and Navigation areas will be very interesting to watch for the next 4-5 years with all the amenities soon to open up and allow access to other parts of town, plus the proximity to UH/Downtown and other areas!

Had never really driven down Harrisburg or Navigation Blvd's before so took some time to do so yesterday. As I was passing this intersection they were already at work demolishing the old stuff, so looks like this one is well underway.

• 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to Guadalupe Plaza Park At 2311 Runnels St.
  • 7 months later...

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/houston-clean-energy-artwork-arch-of-time-riccardo-mariano-2335103

A new public artwork called the Arco del Tiempo, or Arch of Time, will generate clean energy for Texans still rebuilding from the devastation caused by Hurricane Harvey in 2017.

City officials in Houston have accepted a proposal from German architect Riccardo Mariano for the massive, futuristic installation developed with the Land Art Generator, a nonprofit that seeks to advance renewable energy-focused public art.

Mariano said he expects the arch, when completed, to be covered in solar panels that will generate 400 megawatt-hours of electricity per year—about what 40 Texan homes consume.

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Love it. Live right by it and if it looks like that, it will be beautiful.

I ran into some folks from the city that were at the park to look at it "for a future art installation." Didn't expect this. That said, if this does get solar panels, I guess it explains why they removed quite a few from the Esplanade. This should generate more than enough.

Now, whether this will just become a giant umbrella for the local homeless community or not...we will see.

Edited by JBTX
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Guadalupe Plaza Park At 2311 Runnels St.