Houston Vs. Dallas Shopping

I was suprised after moving to Dallas what a crappy neighborhood exists around the Dallas Galleria. It looks good if you're on the tollway, but don't be fooled. If you approach the mall from Noel, Montford, or Frankford there are lots of rundown apartments and shopping centers, a large immigrant population and gangs are also a problem in the area.

It's a high crime area also. When I first moved here my first trip to the Galleria was by way of Montford, I couldn't believe we were going to an upscale, luxury shopping center from what I was seeing. However, they are trying to clean it up now. Last time I was there, they had torn down one really crappy complex and a urban style shopping center is going on the site. I wish them luck.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I can say is "Thank you" to Mr. TJ Maxx, Mr. Burlington's and Mr. Marshall's. Thanks to them I don't pay more than $20 for a shirt or pants, or more than $100 for a suit. $20 worth of alterations later and my suit looks no different than a $1000 suit (other than the label inside).

This is one Houstonian who finds it very strange that people consider the Galleria a "tourist destination".

I saw an article in the Chronicle recently about where to buy $300 jeans! You've got to be kidding me! I haven't spent $300 TOTAL on jeans since I started buying my own clothes 15 years ago. In fact, I'm still wearing some of those same 15-year old jeans today. (Some people would pay $300 for that "worn" look, BTW). :lol:

All I can say is "Thank you" to Mr. TJ Maxx, Mr. Burlington's and Mr. Marshall's.  Thanks to them I don't pay more than $20 for a shirt or pants, or more than $100 for a suit.  $20 worth of alterations later and my suit looks no different than a $1000 suit (other than the label inside).

This is one Houstonian who finds it very strange that people consider the Galleria a "tourist destination". 

I saw an article in the Chronicle recently about where to buy $300 jeans!  You've got to be kidding me!  I haven't spent $300 TOTAL on jeans since I started buying my own clothes 15 years ago.  In fact, I'm still wearing some of those same 15-year old jeans today.  (Some people would pay $300 for that "worn" look, BTW). :lol:

The prices are somewhat insane. The most I ever spent on jeans was $175.00. I only have one pair and have had them for 3 years. I saw a t-shirt the other day for $150. I can't imagine any justification of a price like that.

$150 for a glorified Fruit-O-the-Loom?

People will pay anything for a label. Doesn't make any sense to me, since most of the time people are wearing shirts that are so long, they cover the label. So how does anyone know or care as long as they look good?

Of course, I spend no more than $20 on jeans because within the first week of classes, they'll be covered in various substances - paint, oil, clay, glaze, charcoal, plaster, porcelain, wood-stain and who knows what else that covers the floors of my art building.

They don't fit like your Daddy's 501s.

Does that mean they don't have amazingly mismatched dimensions? Such as a 24 inch waistline with the pantleg long enough for a 5'8" woman? Or a crotch that rides you harder than a cowboy, but the thighs are so big you swim in them? My favorite would be "just right around the buttocks/hips/thighs, but a waistline so big, no one built like that would have the bum for it."

If you didn't catch it: I hate shopping. I hate shoe shopping, I hate jeans-shopping. I could try on 20 pairs in an hour and not a one would fit. Abercrombie to Express to LEI.. No one makes jeans to fit normal people. :angry:

According to that Chronicle article above, they state:

"Today, Houston is more likely to be included among the list of chichi towns. "

They got that right. Driving around the freeways you definitely see a lot of "chichi's" around!

Man, chichi is a REAL word?

Spanish-slang for ... um... Hooters. ([FamilyGuy] Peter, I'm holding hooters. [/FamilyGuy]) My soontobe sister-in-law did a mission in Guatemala and had no idea until she saw a little boy - very little boy - trundle up to his mother saying, "Chichis! Chichis!" It's sad they would name a restaurant after female body parts... Oh, wait. They did.

I just have this question since I want to get  into retail professionally ...Why is it that Dallas seems to have more upscale shopping centers, Northpark,Highland Park, Galleria, and Willowbend in Plano all of them tote highend designer labels at these centers.

Houston has the Galleria it seems to just have the monopoly powerhouse of luxe in Houston.  Highland Village,Rice Village,Uptown Park all are nice an have boutiques but nonsport major designer labels at their centers.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be vain or shallow.  Lets keep this clean an dignified I want legit answers/response since Ive seen what happened in the "Is Dallas newer than Houston" thread I hope this goes well

Maybe they have more vanity than us?

I think the point of the article was that the two were equal in terms of overpriced clothing and accessories.

The reason Houston Galleria has more vanity stores is because the developer had enough land to put them there, plus it is surrounded by wealthy neighborhoods. All of your Dallas examples do not have enough land to fit all of those stores, or they are not as well located as Houston Galleria.

I thought this quote from yesterday's Houston Chronicle article was interesting. I had never thought of this before, but it makes sense:

Dallas became more fashion-conscious than Houston because it had to, according to Bill Beckhart, senior vice president of the Better Business Bureau, Dallas.

"Dallas has no natural resource reason for being. It's not a port town, for example," he said. "Dallas is a marketing city, and we have a lot of marketing and advertising people who know that presentation and appearance are very important."

According to one of Dallas' own, there is apparently merit and reason for my long-time observation of Dallas' superficiality. It's because they're full of "marketing and advertising people." Or in other words, they're full of.... :o

What about Chi Chi Rodriguez?  Does this mean he was named after.... :blink: ?

lol

Beverly Hills is the ultimate example of a chichi town.

I think its great that designers are finding out that Houston is becoming its own in the fashion world. I cant wait till the Giorgio Armani store opens, I always stop by the Emporio Armani store when Im in town.

I hope Houston and Dallas both stay competative and recruit as many new upsacle retail as they can. Anything to make Texas more "chichi" I'm all for. Mabe people will recognize that we are not all cowboys down here.

San Antonio is also doing good with upscale retail now.

This is such a crock. Kids learn from the parents, not the other way around. Competing with your neighbors for the most lavish birthday party for 6 year olds is not pressure from the children, it is the superficial hyper consumerism of the parents, and they quickly teach their bad habits to the kids.

I thought everyone was preaching accountability these days anyway. When are these parents going to display some?

All of the HAIF
None of the ads!
HAIF+
Just
$5!