lockmat

Proposed Theme Park near Tanger Outlet in Texas City

Per the news articles: http://uhclthesignal.com/wordpress/2013/02/11/houston-we-have-a-potential-theme-park/

The Mayor of Texas City, Matt Doyle, announced that a man with ties to the old Playland Park in Houston has acquired about 25 acres south of the new Tanger Outlets mall with the intention of building a theme park.

“Yes, a gentleman has bought land with the intent to build a theme park,” confirmed Nick Finan, director of management, Texas City.

The original Playland Park was located from the mid-1940s to the mid-1960s near the site where the famed Astroworld once stood. With only 25 acres being purchased, this will not be the biggest of the four proposed parks. There are no other details available on this proposed park at this time.

Perhaps people will find this more convenient than having to endure the death march that is out past 1960 or so.

Perhaps people will find this more convenient than having to endure the death march that is out past 1960 or so.

I don't think a new theme park near Tanger is needed, there's Kemah Boardwalk and Pleasure Pier nearby. 

Via their Facebook page:

"Coming Soon, to the Heart of Texas, the 35 acre site will host a thrilling and innovative theme park, a hospitality center with amazing restaurants, retail and hotel accommodations, and an entertainment section complete with a state of the art concert venue.

Visionary, Harvey Slusky, knows the best times of your life define you. He and his expert team are building an environment where these experiences of a lifetime will happen daily.

So take your life to the Pointe, and have an Adventure. See you soon, at Adventure Pointe!
"

Playland Park is now Adventure Pointe!

• Like 1

Playland Park now has a new name and updated renderings.as Adventure Pointe opening mid 2015.   I say the more development down I-45 the merrier.   With a growing population and growing tourism market, it is only a win-win!

Edited by uscats35

1401860_546326445443188_6273137_o.jpg901226_553908808018285_499718077_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/adventurepointepark

From Adventure Pointe Facebook page showing a site plan of the theme park proposal which include a hotel, a large music venue, bars and clubs, a motor sport theme restaurants also includes several rides including a raft ride, boat ride and a car autopia style ride and a train that will go around the whole park. 

Edited by Mab
  • Like 1

Well this is just great. Smart bastards, now I wont be able to drive a kid to Galveston without them seeing THIS along the way and begging me to take them there. At least Kemah is hidden.

Location location location...

• Like 2

I am really liking the layout of this development. Once entering it looks like you can pay to enter the park to the left or go to the right and eat,sleep, shop,people watch or or be entertained for a non-admission fee.  I imagine this will be a big gathering destination........especially with tanger entrance across from adventure pointe's entrance..       Nice!

I am really liking the layout of this development. Once entering it looks like you can pay to enter the park to the left or go to the right and eat,sleep, shop,people watch or or be entertained for a non-admission fee. I imagine this will be a big gathering destination........especially with tanger entrance across from adventure pointe's entrance.. Nice!

The two will create quite the synergy.

Drop the kids off at the park while the parents go shop at Tanger. Ingenious I tells ya.

I would be suprised if this ever gets built. There was a proposal for a similar amusement park one exit down (next to the Gulf Greyhound Racetrack). It never happened, just a sign on the property for several years. 

By making Adventure Pointe more than a place with rides, but also a place with nightlife is a brilliant plan.  Can't wait till next spring groundbreaking!  Thanks for the link Mab.  Great article.

I would be suprised if this ever gets built. There was a proposal for a similar amusement park one exit down (next to the Gulf Greyhound Racetrack). It never happened, just a sign on the property for several years. 

I sure hope it does.  Galveston County will add to Schlitterbahn, Kemah Boardwalk, and Pleasure Pier!

If a spring groundbreaking does not take place and it is a hot summer july without any action on the site.  I will then assume it might not happen. However i feel like it will, according to the responses on the facebook page.

This and the Western theme park just seem like glorified Celebration Station's - like the tiny old rundown park with one roller coaster next to a go-kart track you see in smaller cities.

The only one that feels anything close to an Astroworld is Earthquest.

• Like 1

They have been very active posting updates on facebook but I'm just too lazy and it's too difficult to share from the iphone.

After researching i could not find any rinks that had Xtraice in Houston or the surrounding areas.  With this and the proposed entertainment project further down the way in galveston.  The options are creating more tourism related destinations in the metro.

After researching i could not find any rinks that had Xtraice in Houston or the surrounding areas.  With this and the proposed entertainment project further down the way in galveston.  The options are creating more tourism related destinations in the metro.

What makes it different...functions in warm weather?

From June 13th

We know that you have all been patiently awaiting news regarding Adventure Pointe’s official ground breaking date. Our team has been working diligently over the past few months to ensure our debut accommodates not only theme park enthusiasts, but the entire family as well.

During this time, we have made adjustments to the park’s site plan. This will allow new rides, new themes, as well as live entertainment.

In addition to the park’s four main themed areas, Adventure Pointe will now feature the “Land of Oz." This magical land will sweep you away with its attractions, just as Dorothy was in the Wizard of Oz.

Finally, upon completion of our engineering in the coming months, we anticipate ground breaking by year end!

10665678_710559465686551_618037834043602

From Adventure Pointe Facebook page

Can't find the brochure on transwestern website can somebody find it? 

Edited by Mab
  • Like 2

3 restaurant pad sites available along I-45 south. Amusement park currently under construction for an estimated Holiday 2016 grand opening. Estimated 5 million visitors per year. 11 themed attractions, hotel accommodations and a state of the art concert venue.

A family fun filled entertainment center located in the heart of the Gulf Coast, just off I-45 southbound, between Houston and Galveston that will pull from a super regional trade area with a population of over 5,000,000 people. Directly adjacent to the Tanger Outlets

http://www.loopnet.com/xnet/mainsite/listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=18979484&PreviousLinkCode=10850&PreviousSourceCode=1lww2t006a00001&&LinkCode=10850&SourceCode=1lww2t006a00001

Amazing how we are going from zero theme parks (I don't really count Splashtown as a 'theme park' just a waterpark) to like 3 in 2-3 years. That's kinda crazy lol.

Is anything happening on the site??

Yep, dirt being moved around.

From Adventure Pointe's FB Page:

https://www.facebook.com/adventurepointepark

Hello All,

We are excited to share the latest news. If you drive by our site, you will notice we have started construction on a few items. Once they are done, construction of the park will begin. We still plan to have a ground breaking ceremony soon. Going forward our social media will be more active so we can continue to give you updates. We will also update you all on the changes we made to the park. Finally, we want thank you all for being patient. This is just the start of our Adventure.

11218813_898351333574029_492562327014583

12239481_898351360240693_131859793280291

Earlier today, we had a groundbreaking ceremony at the site. Very exciting times for the Adventure Pointe team.

• Like 2

Nearly a yr later from the original groundbreaking date, excavators have now arrived to the site.

At the heart of Adventure Pointe park patrons will share in the experience of the roundhouse. The roundhouse will serve as an event center – a designated area dedicated to showcasing how the Slusky family’s historical train collection will be maintained and refurbished.

This communal space will feature rentable banquet spaces for conferences, weddings, dances, civic and company picnics, Quinceaneras, holiday celebrations and an indoor performance venue.  In addition to the roundhouse Adventure Pointe will feature a 4,200 sqft ice skating rink.

I'm pretty upset this place won't be open in time for me to have my wedding here.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 1

The only one that feels anything close to an Astroworld is Earthquest.

I'd really wish we'd stop trying to compare every theme park opening to AW. It's been gone for 10 years. It was built on years and years of love/memories and stuff we hold dear to it. 

Looks like the front part of the property facing I-45 is leveled and ready for construction.  Now work has jumped to back of the property where the amphitheater was originally supposed to go.