College Football 2011

Highway6

The biggest news of the weekend?

UH sold out for Georgia State. Sure, there were some no shows, but the place was rocking, the students were out in full force, and red was everywhere. Oh, and the Coogs pitched their first shutout since 1999.

Just a few short years ago, this game would have drawn 13,000.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks like Im getting better at this pick-em thing. however I expect this weekend to be an epic failure, alot of close matchups.

I agree, tough matchups this week. There only seems to be 1-2 locks and the others all up in air!

Says the guy whose team chokes to Arky every time the game matters.

Yeah, and says this all the time. There aren't any rose-colored glasses here. I already predicted we will lose 2 stupid games this year, and my guesses are Tennessee and Arkansas, ones that we should win.

You never know what will happen in the future. In the near-term, A&M will not be in championship talks, but things can change. Certain teams rise while others fall. A few remain relatively consistent, but they have all had down periods and up periods. As of right now, your Tigers look bound for a BCS game and are strong contenders for the NC. They've demonstrated they're a great team this year, but that doesn't tell me where they'll be in 10-15 years. And the stadium comment would seem to have no bearing on whatever point you were trying to make. If I remember, the plan is to enclose the field and expand it to 115,000 or so, but that takes a lot of money. If the program continues to improve, that will become more of a reality. I'll just have to watch and hope for the best as this year goes on for the Aggies.

I am still not certain what to make of the move to the SEC, but I'm sure A&M can eventually find some footing in the conference. The team may not be a perennial contender, but I'm certain it will have its successes. Only time will tell.

Things do change, and have changed. But A&M isn't there now. They were right there, so close, but couldn't get it done.

20th Street is like every LSU fan I've ever met (except for one). They all have amnesia prior to the year 2000. To hear them tell it, they've been the Nick Saban/Les Miles Tigers forever. But, ask them to actually look at the swamp kitties record for the 25 years prior to Saban's arrival, and you'll find that they struggled to win 6 games per year. Yes, add it up, 165 wins in 26 years equals 6.3 wins per year. If LSU can recover from a quarter century of suck and win a MNC, I have no doubt that the Aggies can as well.

Besides, since 2009, A&M has a better record versus top 10 teams (2-1) than LSU (2-4).

I'm nothing like that, not sure where you are getting that from. I was at games in the early 90s and late 90s. I watched us move up to #6 and then lose the last 8 games of the year. But 10 years is a long time to be relevant, and it's been that long for us (Sugar Bowl 2001 and beyond). It's been a hell of a decade. Don't act like 2 sugar bowl wins and 2 national championships isn't as good as it gets. If you would have told me we would do all of that in my lifetime I never would have believed it (see previous note about suffering through every bit of the 90s). Don't paint me like some short-sighted pro-SEC idiot, I'm very far from that. I hate all this pro-SEC talk, I think it's idiotic. The SEC has 2 good teams this year, the rest are the same as anyone else. I am tired of hearing the SEC chants and hearing the writers talk about it being the best conference by far. Name any team but us and bama right now, and they could easily lose to a middle of the pack team in any other conference. They might not, but they easily could.

It's official... Ags are in the SEC. Suck it 20th.

http://www.tamu.edu/...nouncement.html

http://www.secdigita...conference.aspx

Your record attendance is only 3000 more than ours.... Try adding a few 3rd decks.

PS... Looks like we all pretty much kicked ass in the pick'em this week. No big changes in the standings if any.

Sorry, why do I have to suck it? Welcome to the SEC, I guess. Should be fun to play you every year, I'm sure it'll happen. Personally, I don't want that. I like being in Texas, mostly insulated from fans of the schools we always play. If we lose, I don't want to hear garbage from those other fans. I don't talk garbage to them. I'm a cynical fan, always have been. This is due to the crap we went through for years and years. Being up on Auburn by 24 in the 4th, only to have Jamie Howard throw some pick-6's and it all go to crap. Mike Archer, Josh Booty, it's all etched in my memory, never to return. I am more critical of LSU than those who hate on us.

As far as attendance...your enrollment is 50% more than ours. Congrats on your stadium not even being a closed oval. We completed ours all the way around about 50 years ago. I've heard those 3rd tier seats might as well come with binoculars, so I'm not interested in that kind of junk.

I agree with you. The Aggie love affair with all things SEC is grating on my nerves. Rooting for all SEC teams? Excuse me? I've hated Bammer my entire life, and the SEC contract A&M signed does not obligate me to root for those gumps. I'm actually a fan of LSU. My only point is that LSU rose from a dreadful past, and A&M can too. In fact, in the modern college football era, (since 1974, when scholarship limits were imposed), A&M actually has a better record than LSU. So, it CAN happen. But it won't for several years, at least. Moving to a conference that demands your best effort every week will actually help. Being in the best conference will also attract the best coaches, if we decide Sherman isn't getting it done.

Meanwhile, I will be passing you in the HAIF Challenge standings this week. ;)

I agree with you. The Aggie love affair with all things SEC is grating on my nerves. Rooting for all SEC teams? Excuse me? I've hated Bammer my entire life, and the SEC contract A&M signed does not obligate me to root for those gumps. I'm actually a fan of LSU. My only point is that LSU rose from a dreadful past, and A&M can too. In fact, in the modern college football era, (since 1974, when scholarship limits were imposed), A&M actually has a better record than LSU. So, it CAN happen. But it won't for several years, at least. Moving to a conference that demands your best effort every week will actually help. Being in the best conference will also attract the best coaches, if we decide Sherman isn't getting it done.

Meanwhile, I will be passing you in the HAIF Challenge standings this week. ;)

Don't use me as the bar for college pick-em, I have consistently proven incapable of picking with my brain. Can't help it, CFB is an emotional thing.

I'm not one of the SEC homers either. I don't generally root for the other SEC teams (except maybe against USC, ND, Ohio St, and other nationally annoying teams). I could care less if they win, if we do our thing we will be good. Bama can lose every week, I hate Auburn, I hate Tennessee, Arkansas is a pain in my ass (see: recent history). I kind of pull for Florida sometimes, I've never really figured out why. I guess they were fun to watch when we weren't. There's no reason to care about anything in Mississippi. Georgia is like the Wisconsin of the SEC, all the hype and none of the actual accomplishment.

There is a long list of teams that aren't quite there that could be. It usually comes down to luck and coaches. A&M has the resources to do it, or not. We could be garbage in 5 years. That's how it goes in CFB. That's why I'm pretty damn happy with the last decade. I doubt we have another one like it in my lifetime.

I agree with you. The Aggie love affair with all things SEC is grating on my nerves. Rooting for all SEC teams? Excuse me? I've hated Bammer my entire life, and the SEC contract A&M signed does not obligate me to root for those gumps.

The honeymoon will be over once this football season ends. No biggie.

Don't use me as the bar for college pick-em, I have consistently proven incapable of picking with my brain. Can't help it, CFB is an emotional thing.

Concur. My love for A&M and hatred for ND has given me a 1-3 record on those games. I'm incapable of picking ND to win one or Ags to lose one.

I don't think Nebraska is for real this year. They can't beat Wisconsin (who I think is the best of a bad big 10).

Aggies, huh. I think we should employ a relegation two-tier system like soccer in England. Relegate teams that don't get it done to a lesser conference. C-USA would love that, gives their teams a chance to play in a BCS conference if they get it done.

I don't think Nebraska is for real this year. They can't beat Wisconsin (who I think is the best of a bad big 10).

Aggies, huh. I think we should employ a relegation two-tier system like soccer in England. Relegate teams that don't get it done to a lesser conference. C-USA would love that, gives their teams a chance to play in a BCS conference if they get it done.

I'm in agreement about the two-tier system as this would eliminate the "We are too small to play and we are too big to fail!"

BTW, I think this is a down year in college fball for the 2nd year in a row...it all started w/a weak bama team that beat texas, followed by a one-hit wonder of Auburn. I say this as I watch so called #10 ranked s.carolina struggle with Auburn.GROSS

I'm in agreement about the two-tier system as this would eliminate the "We are too small to play and we are too big to fail!"

BTW, I think this is a down year in college fball for the 2nd year in a row...it all started w/a weak bama team that beat texas, followed by a one-hit wonder of Auburn. I say this as I watch so called #10 ranked s.carlino struggle with Auburn.GROSS

SEC? You need to be watching Baylor's Griffin right now. Guy's a beast.

SEC? You need to be watching Baylor's Griffin right now. Guy's a beast.

Can't disagree, S. Carolina is overrated and Auburn are the " TERRIBLE TIGERS ". I hope that Florida/BAMA save the day

FYI..I picked K-State :lol:

Well, we all sucked this week but I gained a little ground due to some regional bias, A&M and Nebraska and what not. Actually all but 2 of the group took Wisconsin. I had ND at a 9, and I feel dirty about being right. Take Nebraska this week with confidence, Ohio State has literally been garbage this year. Then again, Nebraska has too.

It appears I missed the pick 'em this year. I apologize to whoever will place last this year for not taking on that role myself.

On another note, I know we have a lot of aggies on this board...any of you guys still plan on making the trip to Lubbock this weekend?? I'll make sure to greet you with a firm handshake and a beer, after that I don't know you until after the game.

It appears I missed the pick 'em this year. I apologize to whoever will place last this year for not taking on that role myself.

On another note, I know we have a lot of aggies on this board...any of you guys still plan on making the trip to Lubbock this weekend?? I'll make sure to greet you with a firm handshake and a beer, after that I don't know you until after the game.

awesome, guess Im not the only raider on the board! :ph34r:

No chatter today? I have an excuse, I was in E TX at a family reunion. Fun day, at least for my Tigers.

As for the pick 'em, I find it very odd that we all picked Tennessee. All low confidence, but they're hardly a big favorite. In fact, aside from 1 guy taking TT, we all have the same picks for the remaining 5 games. I don't feel like doing math, but confidence numbers will likely allow for movement in the weekly top score. I'm not doing so hot with Tennessee and Nebraska. Nebraska has proven to be garbage this year. but so has Ohio St, dammit. Not my fault.

No chatter today? I have an excuse, I was in E TX at a family reunion. Fun day, at least for my Tigers.

As for the pick 'em, I find it very odd that we all picked Tennessee. All low confidence, but they're hardly a big favorite. In fact, aside from 1 guy taking TT, we all have the same picks for the remaining 5 games. I don't feel like doing math, but confidence numbers will likely allow for movement in the weekly top score. I'm not doing so hot with Tennessee and Nebraska. Nebraska has proven to be garbage this year. but so has Ohio St, dammit. Not my fault.

I was depending on Nebraska w/9 so I'm dead if they don't pull it off. Ohio state is terrible which is why I put 9 on Nebraska. Also, what was all of the Hype about Florida?

Anyone predicting an OU/Bama ntl. title game following a Stanford/Wisc game which will ultimately lead us into a playoff discussion assuming all are undefeated?

Anyone predicting an OU/Bama ntl. title game following a Stanford/Wisc game which will ultimately lead us into a playoff discussion assuming all are undefeated?

I think the winner of LSU/Bama will be the de facto SEC winner and in the Championship game.

I think the Aggies don't stand much a chance in Norman, so Bedlam, OU vs OSU should be between two unbeatens.

OSU is looking dominant and they'll probably have 2 more ranked games - Baylor and Kstate before playing OU last game of the season.. I see them jumping Wisconsin, Stanford and Boise if they win out.

Techtards spray painted our team busses and spread dog poop inside them. When I was a student, it was a given that there would be problems, physical altercations, when visiting Tech on game day. Good riddance assholes clowns....

I think the winner of LSU/Bama will be the de facto SEC winner and in the Championship game.

I think the Aggies don't stand much a chance in Norman, so Bedlam, OU vs OSU should be between two unbeatens.

OSU is looking dominant and they'll probably have 2 more ranked games - Baylor and Kstate before playing OU last game of the season.. I see them jumping Wisconsin, Stanford and Boise if they win out.

Techtards spray painted our team busses and spread dog poop inside them. When I was a student, it was a given that there would be problems, physical altercations, when visiting Tech on game day. Good riddance assholes clowns....

Bama can lose more than just the LSU game, their offense is young, if they get down they will probably struggle to catch up. The problem is getting up on their defense, it would probably have to be a defensive score or two. I just hope Stanford loses and Wisconsin loses. If LSU or bama has 1 loss I think they deserve a shot more than Stanford or Wisconsin, because neither of them played anyone. That's what we're stuck with in this system. but this year of all years would be an awesome 8 team bracket to watch. Any one of the top 5 or 6 could come out of that.

. I just hope Stanford loses and Wisconsin loses. If LSU or bama has 1 loss I think they deserve a shot more than Stanford or Wisconsin, because neither of them played anyone.

Who has Bama or LSU played? WVU, Penn State and Oregon...Two of those 3 teams rely on gimmicky offenses and Oregon is only good at the Mid-Late Season point because their Offense requires weeks of game reps (Look at how Oregon or any team in Ntl. game after weeks off....again look at Oregon in game 1 after a summer off against no competition.) and they look like they are playing a style of Canadian football. Add Penn State..They have a solid defense but can't score on anyone and barely beat Iowa.

There's no way that a 1 loss LSU or Florida "Deserves" anything, which is why there are 3 major conferences that now have conf. championship games vs. 2 conf, (i.e. SEC and Big 12). So, if Stanford losses to 1 game but beats Oregon in Conference Championship, should they also "Deserve" a shot ? (They'd be able to say they beat Oregon just like a 1 loss LSU team)

Sorry 20th st., I find it hard to believe that BAMA won't prevail over your tigers and won't go undefeated because LSU's offense is suspect and hasn't played one real defense yet. Maybe I will be eating my words soon, but oh well.

Who has Bama or LSU played? WVU, Penn State and Oregon...Two of those 3 teams rely on gimmicky offenses and Oregon is only good at the Mid-Late Season point because their Offense requires weeks of game reps (Look at how Oregon or any team in Ntl. game after weeks off....again look at Oregon in game 1 after a summer off against no competition.) and they look like they are playing a style of Canadian football. Add Penn State..They have a solid defense but can't score on anyone and barely beat Iowa.

Please don't show ignorance by adding Penn St to the list of teams that mean anything. Come on. Bama hasn't played anyone out of conference, but their conference schedule is full of much bigger challenges than those that Wisc and Stanford will face. I said Stanford and Wisconsin haven't played anyone, and by the end of the season they still won't have.

There's no way that a 1 loss LSU or Florida "Deserves" anything, which is why there are 3 major conferences that now have conf. championship games vs. 2 conf, (i.e. SEC and Big 12). So, if Stanford losses to 1 game but beats Oregon in Conference Championship, should they also "Deserve" a shot ? (They'd be able to say they beat Oregon just like a 1 loss LSU team)

No, they don't. That's kind of my point. LSU or Bama making it with 1 loss is a much more impressive feat than if Stanford goes undefeated, because they don't play anyone. Oregon can't count for Stanford if you don't count them for us. The point is Stanford HAS to play them and doesn't play anyone out of conference, we chose to play 2 real out of conference games.

Sorry 20th st., I find it hard to believe that BAMA won't prevail over your tigers and won't go undefeated because LSU's offense is suspect and hasn't played one real defense yet. Maybe I will be eating my words soon, but oh well.

They might, they might not. It's fun being relevant, and damn good. How's your team doing?

Please don't show ignorance by adding Penn St to the list of teams that mean anything. Come on. Bama hasn't played anyone out of conference, but their conference schedule is full of much bigger challenges than those that Wisc and Stanford will face. I said Stanford and Wisconsin haven't played anyone, and by the end of the season they still won't have.

No, they don't. That's kind of my point. LSU or Bama making it with 1 loss is a much more impressive feat than if Stanford goes undefeated, because they don't play anyone. Oregon can't count for Stanford if you don't count them for us. The point is Stanford HAS to play them and doesn't play anyone out of conference, we chose to play 2 real out of conference games.

They might, they might not. It's fun being relevant, and damn good. How's your team doing?

My former team is doing great and in top 5 as well, but it's no big deal. As for out of conf. wins(or inner conference), please tell me again who have Bama and LSU have beaten? Florida is a complete over hyped joke just as FSU, Auburn, Miss St. and S.Carolina...LSU and BAMA are co-dependent right now and one will go down, but only to win against a "TERRIBLE" Eastern half of the SEC.

If you check my post from t before the start of the season, I called out exactly what's happening, correct?:lol:

My former team is doing great and in top 5 as well, but it's no big deal. As for out of conf. wins(or inner conference), please tell me again who have Bama and LSU have beaten? Florida is a complete over hyped joke just as FSU, Auburn, Miss St. and S.Carolina...LSU and BAMA are co-dependent right now and one will go down, but only to win against a "TERRIBLE" Eastern half of the SEC.

If you check my post from t before the start of the season, I called out exactly what's happening, correct?:lol:

We gave Oregon and WVU their only losses (probably the only ones they'll have all year). They aren't top 5 teams (one was, both might end up that way), but they're better than any teams in the big 10 outside of Wisconsin. Florida wasn't so bad until their starting QB went down, that would do most teams in. I agree that the SEC is Bama and LSU and everyone else, but everyone else is still better than Wisconsin or Stanford's everyone else. Who near the top has played a better schedule than we have? I don't care who bama plays, and I hope they lose every week.

We gave Oregon and WVU their only losses (probably the only ones they'll have all year). They aren't top 5 teams (one was, both might end up that way), but they're better than any teams in the big 10 outside of Wisconsin. Florida wasn't so bad until their starting QB went down, that would do most teams in. I agree that the SEC is Bama and LSU and everyone else, but everyone else is still better than Wisconsin or Stanford's everyone else. Who near the top has played a better schedule than we have? I don't care who bama plays, and I hope they lose every week.

You are under a complete illusion about some things.

1. Oregon has to play Stanford, which could equate to a second loss as Oregon barely beat Stanford last year.

2. Are you forgetting the BIG 12, specifically OU and Okl. State? There will likely be an undefeated team from the Big 12 this year and OSU has an Offense that's on fire (They look like LSU's polar opposite mirror image...great Offense, questionable Defense)

3. With the exception of the Big 10, there are 2 solid teams (OU/OSU,Stan/Ore,Wisc/?) in each "Major Football" conference which makes your "Everybody else's" argument flawed if you're including Auburn, Kentucky,S.Carolina, Georgia, Ole Missing, FLA, Tenn,etc.

4. What about Boise, they crushed you're everybody else Georgia correct?

5. Penn State has a top 10 Defense, hence the reason I threw them in the convo unless you want to agree that Bama's only formidable opponent is LSU

6. WVU and the Big East football(?) is a joke currently...please don't consider that a meaningful win.

7. Who near the top has played your schedule? What week of the season is this and please don't get too high on the Oregon win?

8. I've always had a likening for LSU but I'm just stating the obvious

You are under a complete illusion about some things.

1. Oregon has to play Stanford, which could equate to a second loss as Oregon barely beat Stanford last year.

2. Are you forgetting the BIG 12, specifically OU and Okl. State? There will likely be an undefeated team from the Big 12 this year and OSU has an Offense that's on fire (They look like LSU's polar opposite mirror image...great Offense, questionable Defense)

3. With the exception of the Big 10, there are 2 solid teams (OU/OSU,Stan/Ore,Wisc/?) in each "Major Football" conference which makes your "Everybody else's" argument flawed if you're including Auburn, Kentucky,S.Carolina, Georgia, Ole Missing, FLA, Tenn,etc.

4. What about Boise, they crushed you're everybody else Georgia correct?

5. Penn State has a top 10 Defense, hence the reason I threw them in the convo unless you want to agree that Bama's only formidable opponent is LSU

6. WVU and the Big East football(?) is a joke currently...please don't consider that a meaningful win.

7. Who near the top has played your schedule? What week of the season is this and please don't get too high on the Oregon win?

8. I've always had a likening for LSU but I'm just stating the obvious

I kind of forgot what my original point was, so I don't even know if I'm arguing any more. I agree that a big 12 team will come out undefeated, and they will be in the championship game. I kind of hope it is OSU, for no other reason than I think orange (not burnt) is a better color than maroon. Past that it will be about SEC, big 10, or pac 12 having a horse in the race.

1. I hope Oregon beats Stanford, not to make our win look better but so Stanford isn't undefeated. If Stanford and Wisconsin end up undefeated and play for the title and LSU/Bama has 1 loss, it'll be playoff insanity controversy because neither of those 2 teams has a difficult schedule.

2. No, as per 2nd sentence above

3. My comment is about the teams after the top teams in each conference, not the top teams themselves. Though not awesome, the also-rans that you note are better than other conferences also-rans.

4. Yeah Georgia sucks. But Boise will have played 0 great teams. Maybe not their fault, but so what. I have no fear that voters will put a 1-loss LSU or Bama above Boise in the end.

5. Penn St is horrible. They haven't played anyone besides bama. They barely beat Temple, or somebody like Temple if I'm not remembering right. Bama's offense is no juggernaut, they are young in most key spots.

6. WVU hasn't played anyone good but us, and though the big east is crap they are handling it like a good team should by winning. We beat them by a lot, at their place. It doesn't mean nothing.

7. The season is halfway over, and we already know the schedule the rest of the way. Bama scheduled out of conf cupcakes, as did Wisconsin and Stanford. OU put FSU in there, but Clemson and Wake Forest just took the meaning out of that game. You have to look at WVU as a better win than FSU at this point.

8. Fun

In the end, we are going to lose 2 games anyway. But right now it's fun to look ahead.

In the end, we are going to lose 2 games anyway. But right now it's fun to look ahead.

I give LSU 1 loss max (unless Ark gives them #2) since they've beat Oregon already. Don't undersell ur tigers..BTW, playing in Morgantown is weak and has never been a tough place to play, that place is no different than many Texas high school stadiums other than maybe the Trailer parks that surround the Stadium in WV...It was only a big game b/c of rankings at that time.

Gotta get out of the house and go to work, but definitely looking forward to tracking our convo's over the next few weekends 20th. Maybe ASU will take down Oregon this wknd?

Archived