College Football 2011

Highway6

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN censored like there was no tmrw. They didn't allow simple signs like "OCCUPY THE BCS" to be held in view of the camera.

Some of the best signs that didn't pass the ESPN Game Day censors in my mind were;

What Do Liberace

Andy Warhol and

SMU Have in Common?

They all died in 1987

Rick Perry's Top 3 Reasons Coogs Win

1) Offense

2) Defense

3) Uhhhh, the EPA?

Hey Craig James

Let Your Son Out of the Closet

As soon as I realized the fun was going to be severly limited, I left and went back to the tailgate village, which was packed out.

Looks like Houston is heading for a BCS bowl game...

I'm not big into football, but it's good to see one of the home teams making their way up this year.

A friend of mine today - after the Tulsa game - pointed out that, while people are critical of Houston's schedule (and, perhaps, rightfully so), this team beat Tulsa by 32 points. That's more than the amounts by which Oklahoma St (26 points) and Boise St (20 points) beat them - and only one point behind the excess poured on by then-#1 Oklahoma at the beginning of the season.

What do you all think? Is that a valid measurement of the strength of this Houston team?

Looks like Houston is heading for a BCS bowl game...

I'm not big into football, but it's good to see one of the home teams making their way up this year.

A friend of mine today - after the Tulsa game - pointed out that, while people are critical of Houston's schedule (and, perhaps, rightfully so), this team beat Tulsa by 32 points. That's more than the amounts by which Oklahoma St (26 points) and Boise St (20 points) beat them - and only one point behind the excess poured on by then-#1 Oklahoma at the beginning of the season.

What do you all think? Is that a valid measurement of the strength of this Houston team?

It's not invalid, but just looking at one game will hardly ever get you anywhere. You could probably find counter arguments just as easily when you start getting into opponents and scores. UH really didn't play anyone. It sucks. I wish they could be in the national championship, I don't think it's right for bama to get there.

It's not invalid, but just looking at one game will hardly ever get you anywhere. You could probably find counter arguments just as easily when you start getting into opponents and scores. UH really didn't play anyone. It sucks. I wish they could be in the national championship, I don't think it's right for bama to get there.

I guess you take the good with the bad with this crap BCS system. I'm just having a hard time understanding THE BCS can justify sending a 1-loss Bama to the NTL.Championship w/o winning or participating in a conference championship. From the looks of it, if VTech/Ok St./Stanford wins out they are just as deserving for a chance to play in the game as BAMA...A loss is a loss

Poor Houston...BCS will get you everytime

LSU vs. Alabama part two will be a yawner.

Here's the list of teams that Bama beat that finished above .500 overall; Penn State, Arkansas, and Auburn.

Here's the list of teams with 2 or fewer losses that have equal to or more wins than that against winning teams;

Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Virginia Tech, Oregon, Stanford, USC, Boise State, TCU, Houston, and Southern Miss.

Yes, the SEC West is stacked at the top. However, the rest of the SEC was down this year. Heck, the champ from the EAST (Georgia) got donkey stomped by Boise State in Atlanta while all of Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Miss State, and Florida failed to win 6 games against FBS teams.

LSU vs. Alabama part two will be a yawner.

Here's the list of teams that Bama beat that finished above .500 overall; Penn State, Arkansas, and Auburn.

Here's the list of teams with 2 or fewer losses that have equal to or more wins than that against winning teams;

Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Virginia Tech, Oregon, Stanford, USC, Boise State, TCU, Houston, and Southern Miss.

Yes, the SEC West is stacked at the top. However, the rest of the SEC was down this year. Heck, the champ from the EAST (Georgia) got donkey stomped by Boise State in Atlanta while all of Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Miss State, and Florida failed to win 6 games against FBS teams.

That's interesting....But, some part of me believes that "IF" Va Tech wins out and fails to advance to #2, there will be a national out cry b/c Bama failed to beat LSU at HOME in OT in Alabama. So why should they get a second shot to play them when they already had their chance to over take LSU. A rematch is definitely not fair for LSU, but Life isn't fair.

I'm hoping that 20th's Team (LSU, who else?) can pull it off and go undefeated!!!!

Undefeated would be nice. It's time for a playoff though. And also the end to automatic qualifying bids. Who cares if you won your conference? The conference championships and the national championship don't always sync up. A wild card can win the super bowl. I am totally against bama going to the NC, but not because they didn't win the conference. Conferences only exist to pool money and get tv contracts anyway.

More SEC east bashing: the SEC west went 12-3 against the east this year, not counting the worst team ever, Ole Miss. LSU, bama, and Arkansas went 9-0.

Playoff system definitely needed and I agree with the wildcard statement, but after reading Kinkaid's post about Bama it seems outrageous to give Bama another shot esp if LSU makes it...That Just Ain't Right.

There's nothing good about playing a team twice esp when the 2nd meeting is for everything. Anyway, let's see if Beamer and Va Tech plays the "Opportunity" card if they win out this weekend......There's too much money on the table for them not to do so.

Forget Va Tech. Ok State needs to make a statement this weekend. I'm drinking this Kool-Aid right now (pasted from somewhere else):

If Oklahoma State wins on Saturday:

• Wins over current BCS Top 25 teams: Oklahoma State: 5, Alabama: 2.

• Wins over current BCS Top 50 teams: Oklahoma State: 7, Alabama: 5.

• Wins over FBS teams with winning records: Oklahoma State: 6, Alabama: 3.

• Overtime losses: Oklahoma State 1, Alabama 1.

• Conference titles: Oklahoma State: 1, Alabama: 0.

I agree, Highway.

LSU deserves the berth for sure. Scheduling Oregon AND West Virginia is huge. Scheduling both outside of Baton Rouge is almost unheard of.

I simply don't get the love for Bama. Their non conference consisted of Penn State, Kent State, North Texas, and Georgia Southern. The Penn State win is the only one that makes any sort of statement, and quite frankly, everyone knows the Big Ten usually sucks.

Bama also got to HOST both Arkansas and LSU. They didn't play a single team from the SEC East that finished above .500 (namely, Georgia or South Carolina). Their road games in conference play were against Ole Miss (a team that lost at home to Louisiana Tech 27-7), Mississippi State (a .500 team solely due to playing 4 scrubs in out of conference play), Florida (Gators just got SHUTOUT at home by a mediocre Florida State team that finished behind Wake Forest in the ACC), and Auburn (a team with absolutely no defense).

I agree, Highway.

LSU deserves the berth for sure. Scheduling Oregon AND West Virginia is huge. Scheduling both outside of Baton Rouge is almost unheard of.

I simply don't get the love for Bama. Their non conference consisted of Penn State, Kent State, North Texas, and Georgia Southern. The Penn State win is the only one that makes any sort of statement, and quite frankly, everyone knows the Big Ten usually sucks.

Bama also got to HOST both Arkansas and LSU. They didn't play a single team from the SEC East that finished above .500 (namely, Georgia or South Carolina). Their road games in conference play were against Ole Miss (a team that lost at home to Louisiana Tech 27-7), Mississippi State (a .500 team solely due to playing 4 scrubs in out of conference play), Florida (Gators just got SHUTOUT at home by a mediocre Florida State team that finished behind Wake Forest in the ACC), and Auburn (a team with absolutely no defense).

Sounds like The SEC Sucks outside of LSU and maybe BAMA....Look at what Wisco did to Penn St. (45-7) vs. Bama's (27-11). Here we are with another year of meaningless bowl games(Sr.'s only care about not getting hurt, same for Jr's so they can take advantage of their remaining time off before class starts) outside of Title Game (5 week lay over...yeah that's great football)...can't wait for a playoff.

Maybe I will pull my own BCS this week and give a half effort in my participation this week in Pickem, since it appears that I have this "HAIF" thing wrapped up! :D

Just curious which team everyone thinks deserves to play against LSU for the national title. I'm assuming everyone's choice would come from one of the top 10 BCS-ranked teams:

1 LSU 12-0 2 Alabama 11-1 3 Oklahoma State 10-1 4 Stanford 11-1 5 Virginia Tech 11-1 6 Houston 12-0 7 Boise State 10-1 8 Arkansas 10-2 9 Oregon 10-2 10 Oklahoma 9-2

I'm not huge into sports, but Houston's record's got me interested. (Yes, I admit I'm jumping head-first into the bandwagon.) I'd love to see UH go to the championship game, but that's only because it's my alma mater.

Not knowing much about this stuff, I've heard that Alabama may get the slot, but many people are arguing against that because they've already played this year - at Alabama - and Alabama lost (in overtime, 9-6).

I'm curious about others' thoughts.

you know SHSU is undefeated too...

of the schools listed I would take them right in that order: OK St, Stanford, VT hopefully one of those 3 can manage to not lose remaining games/conference championship and play LSU. I would like to see UH play Boise ST. UH is beyond over-rated and their sudden bandwagon fans coming out of the woodwork is getting on my nerves! =) In my opinion any of the top ten teams should stomp UH, but that is why they play the games instead of just following what should be so on paper. it will be interesting

Through 3 quarters, UH is looking like every other Houston sports team throughout history. They look like they thought Southern Miss shouldn't even be trying and are surprised they are. With so much on the line it's pretty pathetic. Don't expect UH to have another shot at a BCS bowl any time in the near future. Man up in the 4th!

Coogs....looks like S.Miss is the best team on the field today!! Oh well, all of that build up for what? Also, who really wanted to see UH's Defense play against the BIG BOYS if they can't handle S. Miss...not I!

These night games are good entertainment. Ok state doing its part, and to help them out VT is losing big and UH lost. Please do not let bama into the national championship game.

SEC champs! It's nice to only need to play 1 half and still blow decent teams out.

• 2 weeks later...

You knew it was coming. College Bowl Mania! Confidence style.

This game challenges you to select the winners of each of the NCAA college football bowl games. You can play with a Confidence scoring system (assign confidence points to your picks) or Straight scoring system (just pick the winners!). Best of all, the game is FREE to play!

Get in the action now:

http://games.espn.go.com/college-bowl-mania/en/group?groupID=33966

Group: HAIF Bowl Pick Em

Password: haif

I can't help but think this Sumlin to A&M thing is going to end badly. It reminds me of what LSU did back in the early 90's when they hired Curly Hallman. If you don't know, he came from Southern Miss (low profile school, they don't play anyone...sound familiar?). They had a pretty good run when they had 1 really good player, a QB named Brett Favre. Another similarity. Anyway, Curly Hallman single-handedly took LSU football from perennial conference champ contenders to a 2-9 team.

Just warning you Aggies, don't overestimate a coaches "accomplishments" that were actually achieved by a good QB against a bunch of junior college competition.

Since Curly played at A&M, we are well aware of the Curly fiasco. Certainly, there is concern that Sumlin can handle the jump to the big time. He seems to get high marks from some big time coaches, however, and is a good Texas recruiter. If he can do something with the defense, he may turn out alright.

I can't help but think this Sumlin to A&M thing is going to end badly.

I felt the same way. I initially didn't see how this was much different that the Francione hiring ( a coach that looked way better than he actually was due to the play of 1 future NFL star).... but at this point, gotta back my coach, and hope for the best.

2M a yr wasn't as outrageous as I thought we'd pay him.. so hopefully we have plenty of coin left over to attract some top notch coordinators.

And.. I'm glad DeRuyter has moved on.. I think he did a good job building us back up to respectability, but I also think he's a little overrated.

You knew it was coming. College Bowl Mania! Confidence style.

This game challenges you to select the winners of each of the NCAA college football bowl games. You can play with a Confidence scoring system (assign confidence points to your picks) or Straight scoring system (just pick the winners!). Best of all, the game is FREE to play!

Get in the action now:

http://games.espn.go...p?groupID=33966

Group: HAIF Bowl Pick Em

Password: haif

Great. Thanks for starting this up. I've signed up.

I encourage everyone to sign up pronto considering the first bowl game is tomorrow.

Regular season completion is over..... And the Results....

In 1st... finishing in the top 5.2% of all ESPN players is Sowanome.

In a close 2nd... finishing in the top 8.6% of all ESPN players is RedScare

In distant 3rd.. finishing in the top 20.4% of all ESPN players was 20thDad

Honorable Mention goes to Highway6 for being the only other player to finish without missing a week.

I had a hard time with the confidence this year. I kept moving every game farther down, to the point that ones I moved down earlier kept coming back up. I don't know if it's just good matchups, the fact that I've been more absorbed in my own team than usual, or the fact that it seems like every team this year isn't that great.

• 8 months later...

Archived