Bagby Street Redo

REALaw

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

coming home is like a game each day, trying to figure out what lane on w gray and bagby will be closed.

but they seem to be doing an efficient job, it'll be worth it.

LOL -- isn't that the truth....while they were redoing Pierce (where the entrance to my parking garage is)....it was a daily guess as to how I was going to get home....including going the wrong way down Pierce for a couple days....but they worked fast and it's so much better now...

LOL -- isn't that the truth....while they were redoing Pierce (where the entrance to my parking garage is)....it was a daily guess as to how I was going to get home....including going the wrong way down Pierce for a couple days....but they worked fast and it's so much better now...

No joke, they FLEW on the Pierce redo, though they didn't have to deal with the excavation for utility upgrades that they do on Bagby. Seemed like every night I walked my dogs through there they had another 4 or 5 sections paved.

Good work so far, and the contractor is nearing McGowen on Bagby already.

• 2 weeks later...

innerlooped has some bad news on this http://innerlooped.c...news-for-bagby/

Email response from PWE Director, 6/21/2012:

Thank you for writing with your concern. Unfortunately, the anonymously offered blog entry is highly inaccurate. The Public Works and Engineering Dept has recently addressed project issues to the entity responsible for the project, the Midtown Redevelopment Authority in conjunction with TIRZ 2, regarding the conformance of the already constructed and proposed improvements with the City’s Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan. These issues can be readily addressed by the project’s sponsor with minor revisions to the project. With such revisions the project can conform with the Plan and yet provide for vehicular mobility, pedestrian mobility, and use of street space for parking, overall still fulfilling the project purpose. Such revisions need not be cause for delay, reconstruction, or significant additional expenditures.

We appreciate your interest in these public improvements and thank you for sending your thoughts.

How is it "highly inaccurate" when he's saying that Bagby will be brought in compliance with “the City’s Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan”? The plans had been approved (we've all seen the renderings for awhile now) and the "minor revisions" are actually major to property owners and Midtown. Basically, he's saying he wants to turn Bagby into a major thoroughfare with "minor revisions" to a project that had already been approved and has been under construction for awhile.

This is the problem with the way they do planning in Houston. The planners are less interested in creating a neighborhood than in insuring traffic flow for commuters, which is why self-sufficient neighborhoods don't exist.

Besides, why does Bagby need to be a thoroughfare? Smith is two blocks over.

Besides, why does Bagby need to be a thoroughfare? Smith is two blocks over.

It probably has something to do with the fact that Bagby feeds directly into the Spur 527 mainlanes down at Elgin/Westheimer. I wouldn't be surprised if in 20-30 years, TxDOT decides to extend 527 to I-45 when it comes time to reconstruct the Pierce Elevated and the 288/59 dual freeways.

How is it "highly inaccurate" when he's saying that Bagby will be brought in compliance with “the City’s Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan”? The plans had been approved (we've all seen the renderings for awhile now) and the "minor revisions" are actually major to property owners and Midtown. Basically, he's saying he wants to turn Bagby into a major thoroughfare with "minor revisions" to a project that had already been approved and has been under construction for awhile.

Dude, just bringing it in compliance with the Major Thoroughfare and Freeway Plan does NOT mean they plan to make it a major thoroughfare. In fact, Bagby is listed on the MTFP as a Collector street.

• 7 months later...

I did not like it when they shut Bagby down because that was the way I would go home when coming in from the north. Now that is is essentially complete I regret they did not leave it closed for cars exiting 45S.  Going down to Smith just isn't that big of a deal and there is the offsetting value that it takes me by Spec's.

Htx

I did not like it when they shut Bagby down because that was the way I would go home when coming in from the north. Now that is is essentially complete I regret they did not leave it closed for cars exiting 45S. Going down to Smith just isn't that big of a deal and there is the offsetting value that it takes me by Spec's.

Htx

At first they said they'd close one lane for pedestrians but essentially there's no change above ground except some laughable trees that were planted in.

At first they said they'd close one lane for pedestrians but essentially there's no change above ground except some laughable trees that were planted in.

I have to wonder how long it will be before a drunk (or texting walker) falls in to one of those "pits" that have the trees planted in them....

The rain gardens are part of the green features of the redo. They will be planted with natural grasses that will filter the rainwater so pollutants are not immediately dumped into our sewers. It's a way to cut down on pollution in our water system.

• 4 weeks later...

The rain gardens are part of the green features of the redo. They will be planted with natural grasses that will filter the rainwater so pollutants are not immediately dumped into our sewers. It's a way to cut down on pollution in our water system.

Rain water goes into the storm sewer and then into the bayous. Very little rain makes it into the sanitary sewer, which is a good thing. And, the outfall of the sewage treatment plants also goes into the bayous, and then into the Gulf. Houston does not recycle the water that comes out of the treatment plants, which is also a good thing, given how much water doesn't make it into the bays from the rivers.

Archived