Historic Houston Haunted Spots

JColle1975

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm convinced Tremont Towers is a ghost town and is haunted because no one lives there. 1 construction worker died during its construction and 2 others were electricuted. It's only been open for less than a year and am convinced the place is haunted....66 out of 76 units sit vacant.

I'm convinced Tremont Towers is a ghost town and is haunted because no one lives there.  1 construction worker died during its construction and 2 others were electricuted. It's only been open for less than a year and am convinced the place is haunted....66 out of 76 units sit vacant.

it does look like a creepy drawing out of a vintage comic book. it's the one with the changing ambient light right? i know that you are having other issues about the building (read from your other posts) but when driving by i always wondered how the light pollution was in the units there and if the middle pointed section was the elevator shaft -- the random stuff you wonder about buildings...

how did the worker die? it could be haunted now with things other than mold particles, yes?

Houston Public Library

The downtown library's Julia Ideson Building is reportedly the home of Mr. Cramer, a spectral violin-playing janitor. Cramer began working in the building when it opened in 1926; at night, after the library had closed, he often practiced his violin in its rooms and corridors.

The Julia Ideson Building of the Houston Public Library is reportedly the home of the ghost of a former janitor. Mr. Cramer, who worked in the building from its opening in 1926 until his death 10 years later, practiced his violin there after the library closed. Many visitors have reported hearing his ghostly music, especially on overcast days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cramer died in the Ideson Building's basement in 1936, and since then, he has made his presence known with ghostly violin playing, particularly in the rotunda and the Texas Room. Many people have reported hearing the music, especially on overcast days, and visitors often report feeling like they are being watched.

The Julia Ideson Building is located at 500 McKinney Street downtown.

KLOL Radio

Another site that Long Star Spirits has checked out is the orginal KLOL-FM broadcasting studio on Lovett Boulevard in Montrose. Several employees of the station had reported experiences ranging from poltergeist activity to apparitions in the building -- including telephone receivers jumping as far as 3 feet and sightings of what appeared to be an Hispanic cleaning lady.

The station's modern building is located on the site of the Jesse Jones mansion (the Joneses were one of the wealthiest families in early-20th-century Houston), and Lone Star Spirits reports that at least one murder and one assault have taken place on the premises.

When the investigators first visited the location last year, they found that the elevator doors opened and closed for no reason. One of the members rode the elevator to the second floor, and when the door opened, he caught a glimpse of an Hispanic woman in a denim shirt.

During the team's second visit, just before Halloween last year, it brought along a camera crew from KPRC-TV. While the reporter was interviewing one of the station's employees, a camera bag fell off a table for no apparent reason, and the room temperature reportedly dropped.

Later, the reporter, the camera man and four members of Lone Star Spirits were near the elevator when the door began to open and close repeatedly with no explanation.

Battleship Texas

The Battleship Texas is the only such surviving vessel to have taken part in both world wars. It was the first ship in the U.S. Navy to have anti-aircraft guns and commercial radar. It fired on Nazi defenses on D-Day in 1944 and was later hit by German artillery near Cherbourg, France. Now retired, the Battleship Texas is moored near the San Jacinto Battlefield east of Houston and is open to the public.

The ship is reportedly haunted by a red-headed sailor who appears on one of its decks. Reports indicate the apparition is seen dressed in a white sailor's suit and standing near a ladder, smiling.

Also, a caretaker in the trophy room (located on the same deck) claims she entered a space/time slip that sent her to the cemetery at Normandy. The room is used to display guns and other military equipment.

Old Town Spring

Spring began as a railroad town in the late 19th century, and although many of its buildings from that era are gone, enough remain today -- with a few additional historic structures having been moved there -- to form a district of restaurants and shops along the old railroad tracks. Most of the buildings are well over a century old, and several have reports of hauntings.

White Hall is one of the few original structures in Old Town Spring. It was once the Klein Funeral Home, and the bodies of a couple who were killed in an auto accident were brought there; they occasionally appear on the balcony or are seen dancing inside the building.

At Rose's Patio Cafe, an old iron leaves its home atop a refrigerator, a rocking chair sets itself in motion occasionally and a keyless dead bolt lock actuates itself.

The nearby Puffabelly's is located in a building that was once the train depot in Lovelady, Texas. When it was a depot, legend has it a signalman was decapitated when he slipped and fell on the tracks -- and word in the area is that the spirit of the man still inhabits the building.

Perhaps the most documented haunting in town is at the Zwink House, which was moved about 4 miles to its current location behind Puffabelly's and is being restored. Lone Star Spirits visited the house after hearing someone was murdered there; in four visits, they recorded a number of orbs on film and some strange sounds on audio tape.

Old Town Spring is located one mile east of Interstate 45 on Spring-Cypress Road, about 20 miles north of downtown Houston.

Regarding Tremont Tower- I'm not sure how the young worker died, but his parents will walk around the block silently in remembrance. They shut the construction site down after it happened and media kept quiet. I didn't hear about until after I closed on my unit from a construction engineer who worked there and from folks in the neighborhood.

There was also a man who caught on fire during construction. The silver store across Westheimer actually saw him on fire and went to put him out.

The two who were electrocuted lost control of their manlift while patching our balconies and swung into the power lines three times. Our power turned off - Looking out my balconey, saw the men grasping each other to live and the news reporters, fire dept, ambulances below. Since I was home, the recue crew used my condo to reach the men and bring them inside. Because my balconey was still wet from the coating, the men's footprints and white rag are still engrained on my balconey floor. I've since tried to sand it down, but the cloth particles and footprint are too deep.

Now, the mold particules and the strong musty smell definitely make it smell haunted. The mysterious bloody noses I got in the middle of the night, and how I could sleep for 12 hours while living there....the haunting symptoms are gone now that I have moved out. I'm truly scared to ever go back...Haunted Tremont Tower....it's a block away from KLOL station, which is also noted as being haunted.

ps. the pointed section is merely ornamental and serves no purpose.

Tremont Towers could also not be being leased/bought because of the protestors that hang out on the corner on the weekends stating that their Tremont Homes are 'lemons'....

Tremont Towers could also not be being leased/bought because of the protestors that hang out on the corner on the weekends stating that their Tremont Homes are 'lemons'....

You seem to support free speech by posting ideas online, thus support anyone who protests, stands up for what the believe in. If a protestor wants to hang out on the corner- it's free speech. It's our constitutional right and what makes this country so great. Have you spent the time to listen to their personal stories before passing judgement? Do you really think they should not be allowed there?

1) Even though my beliefs align more conservative you are right... Freedom of speach is great and means that protecting others freedoms means you may not agree with what they say. Of course as long as they aren't harming others in the process.

Okay, the brief political commentary out of the way, Where are the Tremont Towers? I have lived away from Houston for 10 years now and have only returned to visit friends and family.

You seem to support free speech by posting ideas online, thus support anyone who protests, stands up for what the believe in. If a protestor wants to hang out on the corner- it's free speech. It's our constitutional right and what makes this country so great. Have you spent the time to listen to their personal stories before passing judgement?  Do you really think they should not be allowed there?

WTF!? My post says NOTHING about anyone not being allowed anywhere... If the protestors bought 'lemons' then let them protest. I am not for or against them, I am merely stating another reason, besides supernatural activity, as to why they are not being leased. EASE UP Torment... torment the towers, not me.

I agree with the Groove. Suggesting that the complex is haunted because no one lives there is out of left field. Stick to your facts, such as faulty construction and other bad acts.

When you start blaming the builder for ghosts, light rail fatalities and high taxes, you just lose credibility and harm your cause.

I am sure that the posters on this forum, like me, feel for your plight. We wish you the best in a successful resolution of your problem. We are glad to help by allowing you to post in the proper thread. But please, don't play us for fools.

Thank you for your response...Three near fatalties and one fatalty in the same location right next to KLOL radio station, which was earlier suggested as being haunted is worthy of discussion on this board. Are they mere coincidences, is it a haunted building? Or as you have suggested, just many construction defects? Rather than contiuing on it being haunted, will go with it being construction defects and take it to another thread.

Another place that I have heard about is Pasadena High School in Pasadena Texas. A number of people that I have meet say that the Auditorium is Haunted but a work man that fell to his death from the upper catwalk.

• 3 weeks later...

"Ghosts" are proof that most stories people tell you are embellished or made up because they think their life is too boring..

But before i bring that up-

i forgot the address and name of it, but there is a site out there with dozens of reportedly haunted places in texas listed by town. Most of them are obviously goofy ghost stories made up by kids in the towns. For Example, there are at least ten cases of "School Bus gets hit by train, park car on track and their ghosts will push you off" and "Boy drowns in Natatorium, haunts Freshman Locker Rooms".

Heck, there was even a listing for my old school saying it had a ghost of a nerd who killed himself and haunts the programming computer lab, something id never heard of when i went there even though i took classes in there all the time.

Anyways -

Abandoned Buildings are creepy scary noise generators and a homeless crack addict backlit by a pipe light is enough to scare the bejeebers out of the neighborhood kids who spread rumors until ghost buffs and tourists find out and look for proof that something scary exists.

Not to mention how good being haunted is for business. There are quite a few haunted hotels that people only stay in because they want to catch a glimpse of a real live ghost, and with all the creepy noises, they have plenty of things to use for making up a ghost sitng when they are out of the hotel and dissappointed and left out because they didnt see a ghost.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know of any other haunted spots in Houston that may not be as advertised as JDH, Spaghetti Warehouse et al?

I am a real estate agent and I received a call recently from a woman who is renting a house in the Heights. I cannot disclose the address of this house. The woman who is leasing this house has been in it only a month and based on the things she recounted to me, it sounds like it has a poltergeist. She says that it has become more and more violent towards her. It throws pictures from the wall, leaves messages in her mirror and eats her food! I've never heard of this.

I don't think she was lying to me. I genuinely beleive that she was telling the truth.

Thank you for your response...Three near fatalties and one fatalty in the same location right next to KLOL radio station, which was earlier suggested as being haunted is worthy of discussion on this board.  Are they mere coincidences, is it a haunted building?  Or as you have suggested, just many construction defects? Rather than contiuing on it being haunted, will go with it being construction defects and take it to another thread.

I'm not saying that it's haunted, but I think that it would feel eerie and spooky to go into the Santa Rosa Theatre after it's been boarded up for all of these years. I wonder what was left in there? I'm pretty sure that the seat are still in it, unless they were taken out one by one and used in another theatre. I wonder if a popcorn and/or a soda machine is still in there?

• 3 years later...
Barnabas Collins comes to mind...I was always so scared of Dark Shadows... :unsure:

but intrigued by this guy.

It was the them song that shocked the world and scared kids like us to death! :o

This show was so bizarre for its time, I mean a daytime soap opera about a vampire? Wild! Now this kind of neat stuff should come back in vogue, better than all this reality crud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDj8ofYW9I4

Then Rod Serling's Night Gallery came along and made us a basket case. SEE TV was more cool then!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9pToHSFdwk

Ooh, "Night Gallery"! They used to air that on the Encore Mystery Channel a few years ago. I used to scare my little niece with that opening sequence. Oh my gosh, I'm terrible!

By the way, NBC.com has "Night Gallery" available in streaming video. They add a "new" episode every Wednesday.

http://www.nbc.com/Vintage_Shows/Rod_Serli.../video/#cat=new

My favorite episode "A Question Of Fear" starring Leslie Nielsen is still not available. Shoot.

True story of poltergeist phenomena...

One night it was thundering & lightning, I awoke to the light of the TV screen flikering on. My big brother and I shared the bedroom then. Apparently the thunderstorm somehow triggered the TV to come on? Wierdest thing I ever witnessed at that time anyway. I got up to turn off and it woudl not go off! It refused to shut off so I unplugged and it finally gave in. Had it stayed on I would have neded up in ICU!

Ever since that stormy night, we always had plug in and unplg when wanting to watch TV. One day it finally started smoking and the wires thre out sparks and caught fire. I did the smart thing and threw a glass of water on it. :wacko:

I just wish I could have heard "They're here" .

So I guess moms house falls under Houston haunted places (normally when pathetic relatives come around though). lol

I would think the most haunted place in Houston would be the first Jeff Davis hospital, since it was built on top of an early Houston cemetary...not a good idea. It has recently been turned into artists lofts and apartments, after sitting vacant for many years. :unsure::o

My friend's mom used to work at Hamilton Junior High (intersection of Heights Blvd. and 20th or 19th) and always told us stories of that school being haunted, especially the auditorium. I've also always heard that Reagan High School on 13th is haunted. I've never seen this school, but the stories always related to the second or third story of the school being vacant and haunted. Anyone know if the top story of Reagan was left vacant for a long time and if so, why?

Ooh, "Night Gallery"! They used to air that on the Encore Mystery Channel a few years ago. I used to scare my little niece with that opening sequence. Oh my gosh, I'm terrible!

By the way, NBC.com has "Night Gallery" available in streaming video. They add a "new" episode every Wednesday.

http://www.nbc.com/Vintage_Shows/Rod_Serli.../video/#cat=new

My favorite episode "A Question Of Fear" starring Leslie Nielsen is still not available. Shoot.

It comes out on the "Chiller" channel on DN and dish

Archived