Expedition Houston Episode 5: The Dark Hours (South Main Strip)

devonhart

Nice video. However, if I'm hearing right, the big shrimp was said to be at Christie's. It was at Gaido's, not Christie's.

I actually couldn't remember, so I googled and came up with this thread

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=377356

which someone remembered it at Christie's. I just search here and someone recalls the crab and shrimp as being on two sides of Guido's.

• Like 1

I wonder if children today, given all the sophisticated media they are exposed to, could be as impressed by a giant crab in front of a restaurant or a visit to Kiddie Wonderland or Peppermint Park as we were. I would like to think they would appreciate it because it is so real and different. I also wonder what proportion of children today have ridden a pony compared to those of us who grew up in the 50's and 60's.

• Like 2

I wonder if children today, given all the sophisticated media they are exposed to, could be as impressed by a giant crab in front of a restaurant or a visit to Kiddie Wonderland or Peppermint Park as we were. I would like to think they would appreciate it because it is so real and different. I also wonder what proportion of children today have ridden a pony compared to those of us who grew up in the 50's and 60's.

It's funny, my parent's generation talked about how they had to use their imagination as kids when they listened to radio dramas and comedies, and that TV deprived us of picturing stories in our heads. And told us that the reason we couldn't use calculators in class was that we wouldn't learn how to do math in our heads (which is probably true, I came across cashier who couldn't figure out what change to give when her register went down.)

At 55, I'm blown away by HD TV, Xbox 360, the internet, and I do wonder if you grow up with it, does real life fall short. Not fast enough, not stimulating enough. One thing though, because I play Xbox, I have something to do with my 20 something nephews when they visit.

I imagine when Samuel B. Morse invented the telegraph, and steam locomotive started barreling down tracks at 50 mph, there was no looking back.

• Like 1

Nice video. However, if I'm hearing right, the big shrimp was said to be at Christie's. It was at Gaido's, not Christie's.

Hi 57 ! In a related post I was reminded about a "pistol-packing" giant shrimp. Was that the one at Gaido's across from Playland?

Hey Specwriter ! Your point is valid. Today's kids are impossible to impress. Back in 2004 in my flying days I rented a Piper Warrior and flew my grand kids down to Galveston for a visit to the Lonestar Flight Museum. On departure from Scholes, I flew over the ship channel to provide them some great sightseeing. Just off Eagle Point, I turned to the back seat expecting two wide-eyed, excited little girls only to find both sound asleep. I guess it would have been more impressive to just drive them down for a day at the water park. (A lot cheaper too!)

devonhart, I'm with you on the HD TV stuff. I do my flying now with Flightsim X on a big flat screen. The fuel is much cheaper and the aircraft rental is pretty much free.

• Like 1

Hi 57 ! In a related post I was reminded about a "pistol-packing" giant shrimp. Was that the one at Gaido's across from Playland?

You got it! Gaido's was directly across South Main from Playland.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Nice to see the picture of the South Main Drive In on the video. I grew up in Willowbend in the 50's (my folks built their house in 1956) & 60's and remember going to the the Drive In many times. I also remember the controversy when the Willow Creek Little League built their new complex across South Main (Homeco Field IIRC) and the Drive In complained because of the lights for the fields bled over to their screen. They eventually raised the fence on the South Main side quite a bit higher to shut out the light. Also remember trying to get a glimpse of the movie as you drove on Willowbend as you passed the Drive In.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I can't help but think that life and america will never feel like that again. Growing, so many new things every year, cultural changes, and people with a real positive outlook that they can make things better for themselves. Today just feels so cynical. Or maybe it's just me.

• Like 1

I can't help but think that life and america will never feel like that again. Growing, so many new things every year, cultural changes, and people with a real positive outlook that they can make things better for themselves. Today just feels so cynical. Or maybe it's just me.

I think part of it was that WWII vets were only 15 years from having experienced victory as boys, and with their G.I. Bill education, had a can do attitude as men that gave them a great advantage over later generations.

• Like 1

Copyright problems??? Devon, your snippet was great...J.R. Gonzalez's Chronicle Blog has the 22 minute KTRK film let's see if that works.:rolleyes:

http://blog.chron.co...ton-after-dark/

The original source is the UofH Digital library, J.R. got permission to use the video. UofH has a general page about copyright and fair use and some of their material is public domain, I didn't check this specific item until later, it is copyrighted.

• Like 1

Some of the things to check out:

Red Lion

South Main when it was the main dragy

Shamrock Hilton

Poly-Asian Restaurant

Ye Olde College Inn

Maxims downtown

Ding How on South Main

Leo's Mexican on Shepherd

Alfred's in the Village

Valians with a rotating shish-kebab

Gaidos

Toddle House

Cokins Steaks

Kaphans

Alley Theater when it was in an alley

Playhouse on Main

Tower theater

Alabama theater

Lowes and Metropolitan on Main

Cork Club

Sheraton under construction

• Like 1

It's not just you. South Park did an episode on the phenomenon last season.

It's definitely not just you; my wife and I have had long discussions about this phenomenon/problem. My observation has been that nothing has been the same and/or as good as things were then. To imagine that Houston actually had a living, breathing, vibrant downtown and had had one since the turn of the century is quite remarkable. I can't quite imagine what the future holds and at my advanced age, it really doesn't matter but I've got a feeling that for Houston.............the future is that of the old, Downtown Port Arthur Texas.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's not just you. South Park did an episode on the phenomenon last season.

I've noticed automobile commercials (mostly foreign makes) these days using 30 and 40 year old music to lure people to purchase their product. Something just ain't right.

If ad men of 1960 had even considered using the 'Chattanooga Chu-Chu", or the "Boogie Woogie Boys of Company B" as theme music back then, they would have been thrown out of their un-air conditioned high rise office windows.

• Like 1

I'm assuming Baby Boomers are still targets for higher end products, music from 30 and 40 years ago is the music of our youth, possibly a subtle suggestion that car X will make you feel like you did in 1970.

I've noticed automobile commercials (mostly foreign makes) these days using 30 and 40 year old music to lure people to purchase their product. Something just ain't right.

If ad men of 1960 had even considered using the 'Chattanooga Chu-Chu", or the "Boogie Woogie Boys of Company B" as theme music back then, they would have been thrown out of their un-air conditioned high rise office windows.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to A Night In Houston Again 1960
  • 1 month later...

This was a KUHT-TV documentary that was archived on the University of Houston library website. The broadcast originally aired in the 1960s.

I'll try and narrate the drive down the South Main Strip back in the 1960s.  Starting in Midtown, going through the Museum District, to the Texas Medical Center, to the "End of Main".

Expedition Houston, Episode 5: The Dark Hours (South Main Strip Portion Only.)

https://av.lib.uh.edu/media_objects/sx61dm33r

dsVr7R9.png

The South Main Strip, looking like Las Vegas. Back in the 1960s, it was popular to have your restaurant sign as neon illuminated.  Lights, Lights, Lights!!

Km5ZRVx.png

The Original Kelley's Restaurant At 3512 South Main St.

wdNSfv2.png

Theatre, Inc. At ??

GwDB2ak.png

Cokins Restaurant At 4803 South Main St.

EaTjZSp.png

Someburger Stand At 6421 South Main St.

SiTPgl0.png

Ye Old College Inn Restaurant And Club At 6545 South Main St.

ubgCjgg.png

Playhouse Theatre At 6620 South Main St.

Mo5V7VY.png

Paul's Sidewalk Cafe At 6663 South Main St.

fDXij7I.png

Christie's Restaurant At 6703 South Main St.

sWm3Mrd.png

Ding How Restaurant At 6800 South Main St.

SJGxk9p.png

La Louisiane Restaurant Court At 6901 South Main St.

zBBvXzJ.png

Valian's Restaurant At 6935 South Main St.

l8aXNlp.png

Red Lion Restaurant At 7315 South Main St.

y7MOfri.png

Kaphan's Restaurant At 7900 South Main St.

Ur3TuXs.png

Lott's Grill At 8506 South Main St.

TSAZ1Gs.png

Gateway Swim And Skate At 8510 South Main St. (Bonus - added by me.)

0xqbeDE.jpg

Toddle House Restaurant No. 5 At 9101-A South Main St.

k4mcIXj.png

Gaido's Restaurant At 9200 South Main St.

Qi2uBeL.png

Albert Gee's Poly-Asian Restaurant At 9530 South Main St.

Sl2BnoZ.png

End of Main Ballroom At 9810 South Main St. (Bonus - added by me.)

iV45wS7.png

• The title was changed to Expedition Houston Episode 5: The Dark Hours (South Main Strip)