Teacher "beats" Student

lockmat

I don't blame the poor teacher one bit. Kids can really get on your nerves. What was she supposed to do with that unruly little abortion - talk to it like it was an actual human being? Come on, sometimes it just feels good to unmercifully beat a child within an inch of it's life - especially if there is a justification. But even if there isn't - it still feels great! If you were a teacher you'd be doing the same thing. Don't lie.

why the hell are kids allowed to have cell phones in the classroom?

We all just got by fine growing up without being in 24/7 constant communication with the world? They should at least be made to be kept in their lockers.

while what the teacher did is horrible.. even if the kid 100% deserved it.. the fact that kids are allowed to have cell phones, and cameras, and videos, and texting in the classroom is ridiculous. how the hell can that be conducive to learning?

Looks like they was just playing. Even the boy looked like he was laughing. I work at a middle school and kids today are grown and done just about lost their mind. There are somedays where I wish someone would beat one of them kids to let them know we are for real. Not where the child is bleeding or broken bones just a little something that would let them know we are not playing.

It's very curious at the timing of the starting and stopping of recording; too perfect to frame the event. Is it easy to edit phone videos?

I'm not sure if it matters what the tape didn't show. It doesn't matter what the kid did to provoke it. There are other ways, more adult ways, the teacher could have acted in response.

I'm all for paddling in school... but that's a controlled punishment, by a principal, and only for the worst offenses. There's never a reason for a teacher to hit a kid in the face or kick him on the floor, with the possible exception of the kid having a weapon and lives are at risk.. a.k.a Columbine poop hitting the fan. This teacher should have sent the kid out of the class, or any other number of punishments and she deserves to be fired.

I'm not sure if it matters what the tape didn't show. It doesn't matter what the kid did to provoke it. There are other ways, more adult ways, the teacher could have acted in response.

I'm all for paddling in school... but that's a controlled punishment, by a principal, and only for the worst offenses. There's never a reason for a teacher to hit a kid in the face or kick him on the floor, with the possible exception of the kid having a weapon and lives are at risk.. a.k.a Columbine poop hitting the fan. This teacher should have sent the kid out of the class, or any other number of punishments and she deserves to be fired.

I agree 100%. It's just weird. The way she crouched in that goofy (playful?) low down boxing form; it looked like all but one of her punches were misses; it looked like when she was kicking that she stopped her foot at the point of contact; kids were laughing (not that I put it past kids to laugh at the wrong times at the wrong things).

All I am saying is that when you're doing an investigation, you accumulate all evidence. If it was not fake and they were not joking, there's zero justification.

I agree 100%. It's just weird. The way she crouched in that goofy (playful?) low down boxing form; it looked like all but one of her punches were misses; it looked like when she was kicking that she stopped her foot at the point of contact; kids were laughing (not that I put it past kids to laugh at the wrong times at the wrong things).

All I am saying is that when you're doing an investigation, you accumulate all evidence. If it was not fake and they were not joking, there's zero justification.

If this was some playful goofing around gone terribly awry ... that would mean she was stupid enough to let kids tape it, and too stupid to be able to defend herself against a couple dozen lying kids who have decided to use the situation to oust her. Even by public school standards, she's too stupid to be teaching tomorrow's youth and should be fired anyways.

Cell phones are needed in case emergencies happen and parents need to contact their children (or children can use it to contact law enforcement or the fire department) - Also if a student drives an automobile to and from school he or she should have a cell phone anyway. Always having it on one's person (instead of putting it in a locker, etc) is also a good way to ensure that the cell phone is never stolen.

But in the classroom they need to be turned off so that usage does not disrupt the class. So the phones can be on their persons, but the kids shouldn't actually be fiddling with them.

why the hell are kids allowed to have cell phones in the classroom?

We all just got by fine growing up without being in 24/7 constant communication with the world? They should at least be made to be kept in their lockers.

while what the teacher did is horrible.. even if the kid 100% deserved it.. the fact that kids are allowed to have cell phones, and cameras, and videos, and texting in the classroom is ridiculous. how the hell can that be conducive to learning?

Cell phones are needed in case emergencies happen and parents need to contact their children (or children can use it to contact law enforcement or the fire department) - Also if a student drives an automobile to and from school he or she should have a cell phone anyway. Always having it on one's person (instead of putting it in a locker, etc) is also a good way to ensure that the cell phone is never stolen.

But in the classroom they need to be turned off so that usage does not disrupt the class. So the phones can be on their persons, but the kids shouldn't actually be fiddling with them.

Why not just have the parents call the school and leave a message for the kid? There are enough phones around for emergencies already, the kids don't need to add to the confusion. No child needs a cell phone when driving home - they are much more likely to use it while driving, and cause an accident, than do anything useful with it.

OR.. parents and children can contact each other via the Office like they did successfully for decades and decades.

OR.. Adults in charge, teachers and admin, should be making the judgment call on when to contact emergency personnel.

They are not Needed.

They are Wanted... to make life easier.

I realize times have changed.. I want my kid to have a cell phone on them too if they were driving.... but...

If they allow phones in the classroom.. they will be used.. as this video proves. Actually making phone calls is such a small % of what a phone is capable of and everything else is one big distraction. They should be kept in lockers. If not that.. confiscate them for the period if they are caught out in a classroom. Cell phones are just one small piece that helps contribute to the zero discipline in today's schools.. I weep for the public education system.

1. Too slow (For an emergency situation, going through the office is unacceptably slow now - for a non-emergency, going through the office is okay)

2. Too slow, or adults in charge are incapacitated or unable to do anything.

In emergency situations, seconds count, and you want people to contact authorities ASAP. The more people with cell phones, the more quickly it will happen

3. "They are Wanted... to make life easier." - There is a reason why cell phones without SIM cards can still make emergency calls

4. "If they allow phones in the classroom.. they will be used.. as this video proves." - If a teacher is unable to control a class, then a teacher will be unable to enforce a "no cell phones in the classroom" rule anyway. If a cell phone is off and in the pocket, the teacher won't see it and won't hear it. It's like it's not there.

"They are not Needed." - They were a luxury in, oh 1992. It's 2010.

OR.. parents and children can contact each other via the Office like they did successfully for decades and decades.

OR.. Adults in charge, teachers and admin, should be making the judgment call on when to contact emergency personnel.

They are not Needed.

They are Wanted... to make life easier.

I realize times have changed.. I want my kid to have a cell phone on them too if they were driving.... but...

If they allow phones in the classroom.. they will be used.. as this video proves. Actually making phone calls is such a small % of what a phone is capable of and everything else is one big distraction. They should be kept in lockers. If not that.. confiscate them for the period if they are caught out in a classroom. Cell phones are just one small piece that helps contribute to the zero discipline in today's schools.. I weep for the public education system.

How are cell phones and their use handled in HISD and other surrounding school districts? It has to be a nightmare for teachers. Maybe someone with kids in middle and high schools can answer.

Is policy managed by the individual schools within the district or is there a district wide 'code of student phone conduct'?

There was a report on 13 just now that said the incident happened on 4-28 and the teacher has been fired. Took place at Jamie's House Charter School.

No doubt it will make all the morning talk shows soon.

The HISD code of conduct is here: http://www.houstonisd.org/HISDConnectEnglish/Images/PDF/Code_Eng.pdf

Under its Level II offenses:

"Use or operation of paging devices, including beepers, cell

phones, electronic pagers, or any other type of electronic communication

system on school campuses or at functions during

school hours. Such devices may be used at a time and place as

determined by the individual campus in coordination with the

campus Shared-Decision-Making Committee (SDMC)."

How are cell phones and their use handled in HISD and other surrounding school districts? It has to be a nightmare for teachers. Maybe someone with kids in middle and high schools can answer.

Is policy managed by the individual schools within the district or is there a district wide 'code of student phone conduct'?

There was a report on 13 just now that said the incident happened on 4-28 and the teacher has been fired. Took place at Jamie's House Charter School.

No doubt it will make all the morning talk shows soon.

1. Too slow (For an emergency situation, going through the office is unacceptably slow now - for a non-emergency, going through the office is okay)

If a cell phone is off and in the pocket, the teacher won't see it and won't hear it. It's like it's not there.

2 contradictory statements.

As you have agreed, the 2nd sentence is necessary in order to achieve discipline in the classroom.

So how, in an emergency situation, is (A) a parent calling the office, and the office summoning the student either by sending someone down to the classroom or by a PA system

slower than (B ) student with a phone off, not getting an emergency voicemail until he turns his phone on during the break between periods. It is not slower.

And if the phone is only put away but still on... where do you draw the line? Is it acceptable for a student to check his phone everytime it rings, everytime a txt comes in, everytime an email comes in to see if its an emergency situation? You going to let a student check a voicemail in the middle of class to determine if an emergency has happened? How fast do you think the other students would catch on to the fact that feigning an emergency phone call in class gets them dismissed. It would be abused.

Is it acceptable for a parent to contact a student directly of an emergency, and that student leaving with Admin being left in the dark ? Where would the accountability be if students were allowed to drive off anytime an emergency arose without notifying the administration? How quickly would that be abused.

The only way for it NOT to be abused is to have adults talking to adults... parents to admin.

The only way any student should be allowed to leave in the middle of the day is if the admin is notified. Having parents bypass admin makes it impossible for the school to remain accountable for the welfare of the students.

2 contradictory statements.

How are they contradictory? If they are contradictory, how? I don't see how they contradict.

So how, in an emergency situation, is (A) a parent calling the office, and the office summoning the student either by sending someone down to the classroom or by a PA system

slower than (B ) student with a phone off, not getting an emergency voicemail until he turns his phone on during the break between periods. It is not slower.

By emergency I was thinking of scenarios where a students needs to contact a parent or to contact 911. Now, there are non-emergency times when students could check messages or place phone calls without disrupting class (between classes, lunch, or times when students have no work to do in a particular class and the teacher allows phone calls).

And if the phone is only put away but still on... where do you draw the line? Is it acceptable for a student to check his phone everytime it rings, everytime a txt comes in, everytime an email comes in to see if its an emergency situation? You going to let a student check a voicemail in the middle of class to determine if an emergency has happened? How fast do you think the other students would catch on to the fact that feigning an emergency phone call in class gets them dismissed. It would be abused.

By off I mean the power is off. By off, text messages are not checked, voice mail is not checked, etc. etc. If an emergency arises, a phone can be turned on.

Is it acceptable for a parent to contact a student directly of an emergency, and that student leaving with Admin being left in the dark ? Where would the accountability be if students were allowed to drive off anytime an emergency arose without notifying the administration? How quickly would that be abused.

The only way for it NOT to be abused is to have adults talking to adults... parents to admin.

The only way any student should be allowed to leave in the middle of the day is if the admin is notified. Having parents bypass admin makes it impossible for the school to remain accountable for the welfare of the students.

By "emergency" I was thinking of situations where a student needs to call a parent.

When a parent has an emergency on his/her end, usually the word is relayed to the student, but the matter does not need the student's assistance. In the case of an emergency happening at a school, the parents would want to know right away.

Well... someone needs to put today's kids in their place. Period.

Parents need to start with good teaching and consistent discipline. But people don't want to do that. They want to live their life however they want, so therefore they let their kids live however they want. They let what they think are harmless "childish" things slide and it just turns into bigger problems. Kids/people don't naturally behavior better, it has to be taught, and this is not being done for the most part. But as long as truth is relative and people live according to whatever they deem is right, then things will continue to get worse.

Is it acceptable for a parent to contact a student directly of an emergency, and that student leaving with Admin being left in the dark ?

I had a personal situation which would incline me to say yes if a HS student were in such a situation. When I was a senior in HS, my mother was having some health troubles. The house wasn't far away from the school, closer than where any other immediate family members would be during the day. So if something were to arise and she needed assistance and needed to make a direct call to me, I would be able to get there the quickest out of all of my family members. Thus, I had my cell phone on me in the classroom. If I had to leave (thank goodness it never came to that), I was going to tell the teacher (who would in turn notify the admin) and scoot out PDQ. If there was a misunderstanding of the situation, I'd leave anyway, as it would surely be straightened out later.

If it were a situation as above, how would that be abuse?

If it's a true emergency, the parents and admin can straighten things out afterward.

What exactly did the kid do to recieve the beating?

Who cares? Wouldn't you rather pass judgment before learning any facts? He's a teenager. And he has a cell phone. It's obvious he needs a beating.

Right, LTAWACS?

Who cares? Wouldn't you rather pass judgment before learning any facts? He's a teenager. And he has a cell phone. It's obvious he needs a beating.

Right, LTAWACS?

I care.

Something had to be done to provoke the teacher into such a rage.

Did he smack his gum too loudly?

Did he snort when she made a comment?

Did he grab her bottom?

Did he call her a derogatory name?

It's all a matter of context and it actually could have bearing on a future lawsuit.

I've talked to a few teachers after this incident and this is a fantasy of many of them. There are kids in the classroom that they would LOVE to beat over the head like this woman did to her student, but they're all restrained by rules, regulations, and wimpy/entitled parents.

Bring back paddling, I say.

I took it as sarcasm.

I think it's easy to jump to conclusions about this type video and yes, knowing the facts helps to justify our feelings (or not).

Apparently he and others were making fun of a challenged classmate. And, according to one news report, the teacher did not even have a teaching certificate. So, there was none to revoke. She was fired.

But, what is also disturbing about this is the fact that the students that made the phone video were expelled. There was an interview with the mother of one of the students who captured the event on video, on one of the 3 major channels, 2,11,13, don't remember which. The student turned the video over to the family of the boy who was beaten, I guess instead of giving it to school administrators. The reporter did a voice over which stated that after school officials determined what had happened, they invited the budding videographer to return to the school.

Archived