Houston19514

I don't know. Have you seen Rex Tillerson's house? And will the Boy Scouts of America move their headquarters to Houston, too? (Mr. Tillerson is president of BSA.)

This isn't all about who builds nice buildings. Powerful people often like to stay in the city in which they are powerful. And, besides, all of their friends are in Dallas. Why would he want to move to Houston?

True, which is why I said they have it good up in DFW. I know it's not all about shiny new buildings, but you can't deny that the new campus would be at least a little enticing to Tillerson. Or he could be perfectly content in his Irving digs, plus nice home out in Bartonville (small little town off the beaten path in the DFW Metroplex). And hey, the Boy Scouts could move, too if Exxon moved. The Woodlands has some speculative office buildings going up that I'm sure BSA would fit right at home in. Isn't there a Scout camp near there, too? ^_^ One thing is for sure, Houston will at least be getting their North American HQ. Houston basically runs the company already, and having the HQ would only be an added feather into Houston's cap, plus some prestige.

I don't know. Have you seen Rex Tillerson's house? And will the Boy Scouts of America move their headquarters to Houston, too? (Mr. Tillerson is president of BSA.)

This isn't all about who builds nice buildings. Powerful people often like to stay in the city in which they are powerful. And, besides, all of their friends are in Dallas. Why would he want to move to Houston?

It could possibly have nothing whatever to do with Rex Tillerson's house or his extra-curricular activities. It is possible that Exxon senior management has realized it makes no sense to have the entire company consolidated in one place and NOT have senior management in that same place.

• Like 1

Nah. I could easily see they consolidating all of the scientists, business folks, etc to the new campus, but keeping Senior Management separated up in Dallas. Corporate structure is set up so that there's really no need for 99.9% of the workforce to interact with the highest-ups.

Word on the street is it's all but a done deal

It could possibly have nothing whatever to do with Rex Tillerson's house or his extra-curricular activities. It is possible that Exxon senior management has realized it makes no sense to have the entire company consolidated in one place and NOT have senior management in that same place.

I found this so amusing that I called my brother to share it with him. We all got a kick out of imagining that Exxon's senior management (whoever they are) might tell Mr. Tillerson he had to move to Houston against his will. We assume that the senior management that you refer to are the ones down the hall from Mr. Tillerson's office in Irving? You think they are going to force ol' Rex...and themselves...to move, just to prove some point that has no evidence to back it up?

I found this so amusing that I called my brother to share it with him. We all got a kick out of imagining that Exxon's senior management (whoever they are) might tell Mr. Tillerson he had to move to Houston against his will. We assume that the senior management that you refer to are the ones down the hall from Mr. Tillerson's office in Irving? You think they are going to force ol' Rex...and themselves...to move, just to prove some point that has no evidence to back it up?

Think they'd give him a cost of living adjustment?

There's a nice 2/1 Bungalow down the street from me for sale... I should email him the listing. I bet he'd love it!

ExxonMobil has offices in a few DOZEN countries. I think they're ok with not having senior management of the corporation within spitting distance of all 90,000 employees.

Rex is obviously part of the senior management team. Nobody said, or implied, or wrote anything from which it could be inferred, that Rex would be relocated against your will.

And for all of you who are so intent on proving that Exxon is not moving its world HQ to Houston/Spring... I have not argued that they are. I have merely made the comment that they have not definitively excluded the HQ relocation as a possibility.

Edited by Houston19514

ExxonMobil has offices in a few DOZEN countries. I think they're ok with not having senior management of the corporation within spitting distance of all 90,000 employees.

You may well be right. But if that is the logic, then what is the point of all of this consolidation effort? It can equally be said that there is no need to have the refining and marketing people (from Virginia) within spitting distance of the exploration and production people. And yet, everyone here believes that is exactly what Exxon is doing.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

You may well be right. But if that is the logic, then what is the point of all of this consolidation effort? It can equally be said that there is no need to have the refining and marketing people (from Virginia) within spitting distance of the exploration and production people. And yet, everyone here believes that is exactly what Exxon is doing.

Dilapidated buildings

Serious safety concerns/issues in Greenspoint

Skyrocketing rent costs for leased buildings

Security issues & costs with so many individual buildings in high-traffic urban areas

Transportation costs for employees to attend meetings all over town

Inefficient workspaces

Need for technologically up-to-date infrastructure

etc

• Like 1

Dilapidated buildings

Serious safety concerns/issues in Greenspoint

Skyrocketing rent costs for leased buildings

Security issues & costs with so many individual buildings in high-traffic urban areas

Transportation costs for employees to attend meetings all over town

Inefficient workspaces

Need for technologically up-to-date infrastructure

etc

That's a nice list of reasons a random company might consider relocating an office. Which of those have anything to do with Exxon? (And in what market are tenants experiencing skyrocketing rent costs?)

A number of your listed reasons could apply to the current Irving HQ just as much as to other Exxon facilities.

More to the point, the only item on your list that is a reason for consolidation (as opposed to merely relocating a particular facility) is the "transportation costs for employees to attend meetings all over town". That item applies just as much to the Irving HQ facility as to any other.

Edited by Houston19514

Swamplot has some aerials of the site taken about a month ago:

exxon-aerial-close.jpg

exxon-aerial.jpg

Plenty of trees have been left to stand guard around the high-security future North American headquarters of the U.S.’s largest oil company. These views are from the southwest. The freeway running from the top left to the right of the above image is I-45; the Hardy Toll Road branches off and heads toward Downtown just opposite where a new road, Springwoods Village Parkway, connects the campus to the freeway feeder road.

http://swamplot.com/aerial-views-of-exxonmobils-new-sprawling-top-secret-houston-headquarters/2011-04-15/#more-27794

I noted a long time ago that there was an Energy Drive in the SWV development. This pic notes that in addition to a label for a "corporate campus."

I've lived off Riley Fuzzel (future grand parkway section G) for the past 5 years. When we first moved here, the road was just a trickle of cars. Now it's a serious thoroughfare. When the GP comes in, it will connect 59 and Kingwood. My point being, many employees will be accessing from the East. I'm surprised to see SWV was able to negotiate their development situated between the GP and Exxon. As someone put it earlier, the Sim City player in me wants to connect the GP where the current SWV parkway meets 45. As it stand now, even if you exit and drive up Energy Drive, you go through at least 5 five lights... one of which appears to be a f'n roundabout... and that's before you enter the campus.

http://springwoodsvillage.com/documents/town_lake_corridor_illustrative.pdf

BTW-- my neighborhood is already starting to get Exxon employees.

I had the privilege of speaking with an Exxon media relations guy and I informed him of the arial photographs we had of the area. I asked him straight up if indeed Exxon was moving forward with an elaborate corporate campus. The gentleman said "I can tell you that site work continues at that location and all options are still on the table---that's anything from leaving things as is on one end to building a new corporate campus on the other. I replied to him, "but sir, there have been thousands of trees cleared from the area and clearly this is in the exact location of the planned corporate campus according to Springwoods Village. Site work requires the removal of thousands of trees?" He replied, a statement on the campus would be released "very soon" and that all he could confirm is that site work continues at that location. When I asked what "very soon" mean, whether it was days or week, he would not comment. So that's the latest from the horses mouth.

• Like 4

I had the privilege of speaking with an Exxon media relations guy and I informed him of the arial photographs we had of the area. I asked him straight up if indeed Exxon was moving forward with an elaborate corporate campus. The gentleman said "I can tell you that site work continues at that location and all options are still on the table---that's anything from leaving things as is on one end to building a new corporate campus on the other. I replied to him, "but sir, there have been thousands of trees cleared from the area and clearly this is in the exact location of the planned corporate campus according to Springwoods Village. Site work requires the removal of thousands of trees?" He replied, a statement on the campus would be released "very soon" and that all he could confirm is that site work continues at that location. When I asked what "very soon" mean, whether it was days or week, he would not comment. So that's the latest from the horses mouth.

Good work sir. Looks like we can expect an announcement later on this month.

I like your 'in your face' attitude. This is what HAIF needs more of. I especially like that you made someone accountable for removing thousands of trees. I know I would be embarrassed if my company cut down thousands of trees and didn't build anything.

Well done!