Lola Restaurant At 1102 Yale St.

segovia

kids' menu is lacking. i would like to see more than 4 options(and before you make nasty comments about how i should keep my kids at home, Lola will have families there. all.the.time. non-kid friendly patrons will be the minority and by catering to families, the restaurant will always have business).

This seems to be a contradiction.

The demographics seem to contradict as well. Nearly 75%of the households in ZIP code 77008 have no children.

77008 demographics

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember the adult pasttime of going out to breakfast on the weekends?

Now it's impossible, thanks to families who bring their hungry, cranky children-- who would rather be at home in their jammies eating cereal and watching cartoons --to noisy, crowded restaurants at 9 in the morning, and then blame the restaurant for unhappy children.

I just glanced at Lola's B4-U-Eat profile, and it indicates the restaurant is "kid friendly." I would take that to mean "kid friendly" during all hours of business operations and not just when it was convenient to those without children. Just a hunch.

Now, seriously - I'm not trying to be insulting or start a flame war or anything, I swear... but I've got to ask - why did you wait 45 minutes? If the order consisted of eggs, why not ask what the holdup was after 10, maybe 15 minutes at the max? I'm not defending the restaurant's position or (in)action at all. I'm just saying that small neighborhood restaurant or most expensive hoity-toity restaurant on the planet... 45 minutes is a hell of a long time to wait for breakfast.

I know. I waited too long. But as many pointed out, they're new and I remembered Dragon Bowl being very behind. I was being patient and giving them time to work things out. That's the whole reason for waiting - being patient. I never imagined they lost my order.

So part of this should serve as a warning - please do check in the 10, 15, or 20 minute time frame.

I know. I waited too long. But as many pointed out, they're new and I remembered Dragon Bowl being very behind. I was being patient and giving them time to work things out. That's the whole reason for waiting - being patient. I never imagined they lost my order.

So part of this should serve as a warning - please do check in the 10, 15, or 20 minute time frame.

However, I will point out that I'll happily wait for an hour outside of The Breakfast Klub just to eat there. :P

The demographics seem to contradict as well. Nearly 75%of the households in ZIP code 77008 have no children.

77008 demographics

i can see how it does seem contradictory. i would like to see more items on the kids' menu but 3 or 4 choices is not a deal breaker. if i'm not in the mood to order my kids one of their 4 choices, i have no problem sharing or ordering an adult meal and taking 1/2 of it home. i would just like to see more small portion choices, especially since the atmosphere is definitely kid friendly and this restaurant will definitely have a strong family clientelle.

unless "houston heights expert scott rose" has gone door to door in 77008 himself, i would guess these numbers are from the 2000 census. i am willing to bet those demographics will change quite a bit when 2010 numbers are reported. consider that heights kids group has over 600 participating families. admittedly, about 20% of those do not live in the heights but half of that 20% do live in montrose, rice military and other close neighborhoods. most, if not all, of these families do not have children over the age of 9. in fact the group has only existed for 6 years, so those with kids older than 9 in the heights probably do not even participate and those would be the ones in 2000 census figures. in my small circle of existence alone, i have had 2 children since 2000. i was at a baby playgroup on thursday with 22 moms of kids under 6 mos old. on my block, there were no children when i moved in to my house 5 years ago. now 4 households have children and 1 is expecting. 2 other households were expecting and moved to larger homes in other parts of the heights. but i live in 77009.

ETA: has anyone else questioned their choice of web address? www.eatlola.com :blink:

I agree that the number of families in the Heights has exploded. Why, on my block alone, we've gone from 1 of the 20 households having children to 2. That's a 100% increase right there, from 5% to 10%.

All kidding aside, I am not sticking up for the restaurant that lost an order. However, during my years of restaurant ownership and management, families with toddlers were not our target demographic. They eat less, drink almost nothing, and often times make a huge mess. It's not that we did not like families, but our favorite customer consisted of 4 adults who drink. They fill up the table, spend a lot of money and do not make a big mess by demanding free crackers and throwing them all over the floor. Our next favorites would be couples or parties of 6. Families with toddlers ranked fairly low, just ahead of loud groups of teens.

None of this has anything to do with what initially annoyed me, which was the statement by the poster that pregnant women and families are entitled to better service than the rest of us. Now, as a single white male who smokes, drinks, and doesn't go to church, I am comfortable with my position at the bottom of the food chain, and I ask for no consideration, but as one of my mother's 8 children, I just feel like saying if she didn't ask for any special consideration (and she didn't), then you moms of 1 or 2 shouldn't either. But, at least now I know where the kids get that entitlement attitude from.

I will now await the wrath of one child moms everywhere.

I agree that the number of families in the Heights has exploded. Why, on my block alone, we've gone from 1 of the 20 households having children to 2. That's a 100% increase right there, from 5% to 10%.

All kidding aside, I am not sticking up for the restaurant that lost an order. However, during my years of restaurant ownership and management, families with toddlers were not our target demographic. They eat less, drink almost nothing, and often times make a huge mess. It's not that we did not like families, but our favorite customer consisted of 4 adults who drink. They fill up the table, spend a lot of money and do not make a big mess by demanding free crackers and throwing them all over the floor. Our next favorites would be couples or parties of 6. Families with toddlers ranked fairly low, just ahead of loud groups of teens.

None of this has anything to do with what initially annoyed me, which was the statement by the poster that pregnant women and families are entitled to better service than the rest of us. Now, as a single white male who smokes, drinks, and doesn't go to church, I am comfortable with my position at the bottom of the food chain, and I ask for no consideration, but as one of my mother's 8 children, I just feel like saying if she didn't ask for any special consideration (and she didn't), then you moms of 1 or 2 shouldn't either. But, at least now I know where the kids get that entitlement attitude from.

I will now await the wrath of one child moms everywhere.

you're not going to get the wrath from me. i don't think i deserve better service than anyone else.

i think the stereotype has changed. in this neighborhood, at least, families are a little more spendy and quite a bit more foodie than they were even during the 10+ years i was in the industry. i know when we go out with our friends and their kids we drink (we may only order one bottle of wine but it's going to be a good one), order food for everyone at the table, clean up after them and tip well. if we don't clean up after them, we tip even better.

and no one wants to live with kids on your block because they're scared of the giant flaming ball. :P

and no one wants to live with kids on your block because they're scared of the giant flaming ball. :P

Are you kidding me? That's the attraction! :lol:

Coincidentally, one house of kids is next door to the flaming ball, and the other house of kids is 2 houses away from it. And in between the 2 is me and my vicious dogs. ;)

during my years in the food industry, i found families with young children to oftentimes be the most demanding, and among the worst tippers. I'm glad to know that the heights patrons are more likely to not fit that trend.

I'm not in 77008 though, i'm in 77007 and moving to 77009 next week... so i guess the wife and I with no kids don't count

I'll check out Lola's sometime in the next few weeks. Their website name is definitely not 'kid friendly'. lol

77008 demographics

I'm not sure how up to date the demographics are on the link you posted, but I do know that in 2007, the number of children born in the United States set a record. It was the most children born in one year since 1957 (the height of the baby boom). So, I imagine that when the updated numbers come out, you will see an increase in the number of households that have children that live in The Heights. However, I don't think you need numbers to tell you that. Just look around.

Heck on our block alone (Norhill Heights), we have a child, our neighbors have three, and the folks two houses down just found out they are having triplets!

As far as variety on a kids menu, I don't think restaurants need to get exotic. Our toddler pretty much eats eggs in the am and, if we take her out to eat, will happily eat grilled cheese or chicken strips, so they've got us covered.

I'm not sure how up to date the demographics are on the link you posted, but I do know that in 2007, the number of children born in the United States set a record. It was the most children born in one year since 1957 (the height of the baby boom). So, I imagine that when the updated numbers come out, you will see an increase in the number of households that have children that live in The Heights. However, I don't think you need numbers to tell you that. Just look around.

Heck on our block alone (Norhill Heights), we have a child, our neighbors have three, and the folks two houses down just found out they are having triplets!

As far as variety on a kids menu, I don't think restaurants need to get exotic. Our toddler pretty much eats eggs in the am and, if we take her out to eat, will happily eat grilled cheese or chicken strips, so they've got us covered.

And yet, in 2008 the number of households with children hit a low not seen since the 40s.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/census/2009-02-25-families-kids-home_N.htm

I doubt (at least I hope) that you aren't suggesting the the 74.5% of childless households in 77008 (75% in 77007) has dropped to a minority in less than 10 years, since that would go against the trends both nationwide and in the Heights. And, this completely ignores the fact that families with children eat out FAR less than singles and couples, and my point made earlier (repeated by SilverJK), that families with toddlers are the most labor intensive tables, take up more space and return less revenue.

Look, no one is against families. I am even still a proud member of one. It is simply that when it comes to restaurants, you guys ain't all that.

BTW, being a stat freak, I DO look forward to the new Census numbers for the neighborhood, and for Houston. It has been an interesting 10 years, but these numbers do not change that dramatically in that short of a time. Besides, the biggest push in the Heights gentrification has come from empty nesters moving closer to town.

I don't know what the stats will look like in the next census. To be honest, I've never bothered to look at or read a census. I read that article about the number of children being born breaking a 50 year old record and thought it was interesting (the article also did say that the actual birth rate was low and will likely never surpass what was seen during the baby boom). While I'm sure that I haven't lived in this neighborhood as long as you have, I have lived here long enough (8 years) to see what appears to be a significant increase in the number of people pushing strollers around. That's all. Also, while we do not utilize day care, we have a number of friends who have had a hard time finding a day care in The Heights that doesn't have a 9 month wait list. I think all of this is simply because there are more kids in the neighborhood.

For the record, I am in no way suggesting that people with kids are better for restaurant business. I just like it when a new place opens that we can take our daughter to.

For the record, I am in no way suggesting that people with kids are better for restaurant business. I just like it when a new place opens that we can take our daughter to.

And I am in no way suggesting that you should stay home. I'm not one that is particularly bothered by kids in eateries. And I apologize for starting the total derailure of this thread. It was only one sentence in one post that irked me. Hopefully, we have all gotten it out of our system, and can return to the critique of Lola's. I hope to check it out soon, with heights yankee, poonks and lilyheights...and their lovely families...surrounding me.

And I am in no way suggesting that you should stay home. I'm not one that is particularly bothered by kids in eateries. And I apologize for starting the total derailure of this thread. It was only one sentence in one post that irked me. Hopefully, we have all gotten it out of our system, and can return to the critique of Lola's. I hope to check it out soon, with heights yankee, poonks and lilyheights...and their lovely families...surrounding me.

I have a family too, but my two month old drinks like an Irish sailor, tips generously and never so much as raises her voice above a whisper while eating out. If her excessive drinking was even remotely socially acceptable, we'd be able to please both the restaurant patrons and the waitstaff. Too bad we're not in Europe. Her er... habit... is acceptable there, but her generous tipping comes across as insulting. I guess you just can't win.

Well, I'm sorry to have irked you <no sarcasm>. Those who know me know I would have given your mom and your 8 siblings my table even at 9 mos. full-throttle waddle. (I grew up one of five and my mom was a saint too. I'm a brat with only 1.5.) :) I also give up placement in lines for potty for pregnant women and people with toddlers. They just can't hold it and do deserve special consideration in my book.

**We also tip extra, clean up when appropriate, and try our best to reign in our gremlin when eating out. He has to learn, but not at the expense of the poor waitstaff. Normally, he is pretty good but there are times.

I liked my food. The sausage was very good.

**We also tip extra, clean up when appropriate, and try our best to reign in our gremlin when eating out. He has to learn, but not at the expense of the poor waitstaff. Normally, he is pretty good but there are times.

I think that makes a very big difference. We always try to do the same.

I stopped by on Sunday night and chatted with the operator of Lola's. Looks like they're going to try to open up tonight or tomorrow.\

He handed me a menu and it looked pretty good-- upscale diner/comfortish food (can chilean sea bass be comfort food?)

Looks like it'll be hard to leave under $15 even for lunch. However, if the food tastes as good as the descriptions, it'll be worth it-- some tasty sounding menu items are there. It looks great on the inside and will have outdoor seating under shade and fans!

I'm going to try to check it out later this week.

I was glad to see them add a new place to the neighborhood, mainly for a breakfast place on weekends. An omelet with grits, two pieces of sausage and ice tea: $14.00. That's a little steep for my breakfast budget.

Walked acroos the street last night and ate there... They had really good food with good service. The prices we really steep for breakfast and lunch but were very reasonable for dinner (at least for what they were offering). They are supposed to finalize their menu in the next few weeks. Who know, maybe we will see prices drop.

Walked acroos the street last night and ate there... They had really good food with good service. The prices we really steep for breakfast and lunch but were very reasonable for dinner (at least for what they were offering). They are supposed to finalize their menu in the next few weeks. Who know, maybe we will see prices drop.

yeah, i thin it's strange that their bfast prices are almost the same as their lunch and some dinner options. eggs are cheap. maybe they know breakfast will be their boom?

I went there last week with a group of 6 other friends. We brought beers and all had a pretty good time. The food was tasty but not really the best value.

I had chicken fried steak with eggs and cheese grits. Wow, writing it out it sounds even less healthy.. but it really was mmmm good, especially the cheese grits. The girl at the counter didn't have a handle on the menu as she was unable to answer all of my questions (I didn't know what a few things were on the menu, but I can't recall what they were now).

Our food came out promptly, but I'm not a fan of the order-at-counter service with waiters bring your food to you. At this price point and environment, I'd like sitdown service. Plus, I don't really know how to tip when I have to stand in line to order and grab my own cutlery. Anyone know if the wages of the food runners assume tipping?

Overall, I was quite happy and will return. I can't wait for the right side of the menu to open. Also, anyone know if they're going to get a beer/liquor permit?

I ate there for lunch last Friday and it was not a great experience. No signage or decorations on the inside. It had all the ambiance of a bus station. Their food is over-priced. They brought the sandwich with no condiments. When I asked for them, they brought a French's mustard container and mayonnaise in packets. That is fine for a six dollar sandwich shop - but not a twelve dollar sandwich shop.

I will try one more time in a couple of months. If they don't serve better food in a better atmosphere or lower the prices, they will no make it. The breakfast prices sound ridiculous.

I went there last week with a group of 6 other friends. We brought beers and all had a pretty good time. The food was tasty but not really the best value.

I had chicken fried steak with eggs and cheese grits. Wow, writing it out it sounds even less healthy.. but it really was mmmm good, especially the cheese grits. The girl at the counter didn't have a handle on the menu as she was unable to answer all of my questions (I didn't know what a few things were on the menu, but I can't recall what they were now).

Our food came out promptly, but I'm not a fan of the order-at-counter service with waiters bring your food to you. At this price point and environment, I'd like sitdown service. Plus, I don't really know how to tip when I have to stand in line to order and grab my own cutlery. Anyone know if the wages of the food runners assume tipping?

Overall, I was quite happy and will return. I can't wait for the right side of the menu to open. Also, anyone know if they're going to get a beer/liquor permit?

As someone who used to work at an order-at-the-counter type place, I can say that tipping is not common or expected. Well, there is some middle ground like how Yia Yia Mary's does their lunch, you order at the counter and then basically a waiter comes and confirms the order, does drinks, etc. Either way, don't feel you have to do a full tip. If you see exceptional service or have a soft spot for people who bus tables (I do), you can leave a little something behind.

If its straight counter service I never tip. If someone comes around doing drinks I'll usually leave a dollar or two, not 20%. Table service where the server was at least satisfactory deserves 20% in my opinion, and exemplary service can get more. I have no problem with zeroing out the tip if I got bad service from the server. If its terrible food but good service I usually make a judgment call and try not to take it out on the server.

I disagree. I've been using fancy mustard for awhile, and sometimes you just have a craving for plain ol' yellow. It has its place in the condiment tray. In fact, it was just Sunday that I had to go to the store to get some because I was sick of the dijon and horseradish mustard.

Archived