HAIF-HD Upgrade

editor

As you can see, HAIF has gone through a significant upgrade in the last 24 hours.

There are many new features for you to explore.

Some of the old features have disappeared, but will reappear over time as I convert them to the new system.

Please take some time to explore the new system, kick the tires, and let me know about any bugs you may find.

Hopefully I'll be able to shake everything out in the next week or so.

Your patience is appreciated.

I'll post updates in this thread.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the 'View New Posts' key replaced by the list of new topics on the upper right hand side?

No. The View New Posts has been replaced by View New Content which is kind of in the middle of the screen just below the navigation bar. This is because it has the capability to now report new content from across HAIF including blog entries, new photos, etc...

I know it's a little hard to find, but so was the last one. I'm going to move that to a better place (it's on the list).

Also, note that the Recently Added Topics sidebar has a little X above it. You might enjoy playing with that.

• Updated blog settings.
  • Updated posting settings.
  • Updated gallery settings.
  • Facebook integration activated. You can now link your HAIF and Facebook accounts. When you update your status on Facebook, it will update in your profile on HAIF. When you update your user picture on Facebook it will update your avatar on HAIF (or maybe your profile picture, I'm not sure which). New members can now login with their Facebook account instead of creating a separate HAIF account.

Hold on... I broke that last one.

OK. This works now. It actually does more than I previously thought.

Facebook integration activated. You can now link your HAIF and Facebook accounts. When you update your status on Facebook, it will update in your profile on HAIF. When you update your user picture on Facebook it will update your avatar on HAIF (or maybe your profile picture, I'm not sure which). New members can now login with their Facebook account instead of creating a separate HAIF account.

No. The View New Posts has been replaced by View New Content which is kind of in the middle of the screen just below the navigation bar. This is because it has the capability to now report new content from across HAIF including blog entries, new photos, etc...

I know it's a little hard to find, but so was the last one. I'm going to move that to a better place (it's on the list).

Also, note that the Recently Added Topics sidebar has a little X above it. You might enjoy playing with that.

Will it have the good old "mark all topics as read" feature? As of now, I have over 18,000 posts that come up when I use the function.

That little bit aside, it's looking pretty slick! I must commend you for all the work you do for this site!

It's not that I don't appreciate the extraordinary amount of effort that you've put into this, but the new design aesthetic doesn't feel right to me.

It brings to mind a post that subdude made a while back that was critical of a design trend towards "bloated" consumer goods. Specifically, I recall that he made a comparison between a blocky, compact 1970's-era cloth-upholstered sofa and a cushy, bloated modern leather sofa that looks like it has the capacity to swallow you whole. That's immediately what came to mind when I logged on after this update.

Again, though, I do appreciate what you're trying to do and all the effort.

It's not that I don't appreciate the extraordinary amount of effort that you've put into this, but the new design aesthetic doesn't feel right to me.

It brings to mind a post that subdude made a while back that was critical of a design trend towards "bloated" consumer goods. Specifically, I recall that he made a comparison between a blocky, compact 1970's-era cloth-upholstered sofa and a cushy, bloated modern leather sofa that looks like it has the capacity to swallow you whole. That's immediately what came to mind when I logged on after this update.

Again, though, I do appreciate what you're trying to do and all the effort.

Yeah, my first inclination is to agree with Niche. I think some of the promised functionality sounds promising, but the design and interface so far just feels... bloated. Good word for it. I surf a lot on my netbook and the netbook is fighting back this morning, I think because of all of the graphics.

And cluttered, too. Lots of pictures and content but it's just kind of scattershot and hard to read, actually. I'm not sure how much of that is just being unfamiliar with it and how much is actual preference for the old style.

Definitely going to keep an open mind, though.

When i go to View New Content, it lists 18k posts. I thought it might move down to a more accurate number the second time I used this function. , but it didn't.

I do have questions, though:

• Under the old style, I could View New Posts, then click the icon next to the title, and it would take me to the first unread post in the topic. I don't see that now (the folder icon next to the title doesn't seem to do anything). Will this feature be turned back on? It's very convenient!
  • The HAIF HD screen (http://www.houstonar.../haif/index.php?) has too much going on at the top, the pictures and text are just too big and too spaced out, IMO. It takes up practially the entire first screen, and I feel like many visitors will see this and never scroll down to the actual content.
  • I haven't tried accessing this on our iPhone or Bold, so hopefully the larger text will format properly on those tiny screens, LOL.

Clicking on the title of the thread appears to take you automatically to the first unread post. Instead of having the option to go to the first post or the last like the old format, this one takes you to the first unread. It is not obvious right at first, as you have not opened the thread before in the new format, but it does do it the 2nd time.

I sure miss the list of new posts that we used to have. I'll agree that it is overall much more attractive than the old one.

I sure miss the list of new posts that we used to have.

Try either of these. #1 seems way more accurate. #2 missed some posts #1 had. #2 is View New Content (top of page in the middle) #1 is at the bottom of the page HAIF Now directly under HAI Extras

#1 appears to default to the server time not the local time as in your profile.

1. http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haifnow.php

2. http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=new_posts&search_filter_app[forums]=1

The maps feature seems to be gone. I sorta would like the option to switch back to the old style skin if so desired if that option is available under IP Board.

• The "Most Active In" feature is back - woohoo
  • It seems after posting in a thread, when you view New Content, it's now completely gone from the list, opposed to the old way where it was simply "Already Read"
  • Will the button "View Top of Page" be making a comeback? The Home key is working fine for now

Testis 1.2.3.

Sigs are a little out of whack.

Also.. After typing the first line of this post, i went to my profile settings.

Upon returning to "Vew new content" ... This thread had dissapeared from the list completely. I had to get back here by viewing my last post thought my profile.

I don't envy the barrage of bugs and quirks you're getting from all sides at the moment... Great job with all the hard work.

2 things that jump out at me. You can't skip to the last page of a thread without going into the thread. The "sub title" of a thread isn't below the thread title.

Sweet upgrade though Ed!

flipper

Archived