Mounted Patrol At Pride- What Happened?

according to 13 news earlier..a 2nd woman was also injured in another horse incident..

Yep:

On the same night Patricia Ochoa says a police horse backed into her at the pride parade. She was rushed to the emergency room with a swollen ankle the size of a tennis ball.

"That's the part that makes it so painful," Ochoa said. "Every time I think about the hoof pinching my foot I start shaking."

Neither woman received an apology from police.

Ochoa said, "Nobody said, 'Ma'am, let me help you. Ma'am, are you OK? Ma'am, do you need some assistance?"

That's what both women are upset about. Both say they are now on pain medication and want their medical bills and, in Reimers' case, plastic surgery, paid for.

A spokesperson with HPD didn't release an official statement but told me this was an unfortunate incident and that the horses were used to keep the parade route open on Westheimer. There is still discrepancy over whether or not police gave proper warning before the horses came in contact with the crowds.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=6890355

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i never heard a horseback officer at all, not one word, i did hear some officers on foot yelling to move back.

Wait a second.

You're part of a crowd of over 150,000 people. You're supposed to be aware of people around you, being jostled around and such.

Basically, your head is supposed to be on a swivel; how can one NOT notice a one ton animal towering over 8 feet tall?

Its like the same excuse people use when they smack into the light rail!

Wait a second.

You're part of a crowd of over 150,000 people. You're supposed to be aware of people around you, being jostled around and such.

Basically, your head is supposed to be on a swivel; how can one NOT notice a one ton animal towering over 8 feet tall?

Unless you're 7' tall, it's easy to lose sight of someone on horseback coming up from behind a crowd, especially when you're turned the other direction and you can't hear them. I just don't see any excuse for a policeman losing control of his horse and severely trampling someone. Maybe he should be riding a Segway instead.

Unless you're 7' tall, it's easy to lose sight of someone on horseback coming up from behind a crowd, especially when you're turned the other direction and you can't hear them. I just don't see any excuse for a policeman losing control of his horse and severely trampling someone. Maybe he should be riding a Segway instead.

With all the posts and quotes of people claiming to have seen these out of control officers and horses, an explanation that no one saw it coming does seem a bit contradictory.

I call BS on that one!

Having beenin the crowd at one point, I was four rows deep and EASILY saw the mounted patrol.

Even if you're 4ft (with more interesting views in that. Crowd!), you should have been seeing/watching the crowd reaction to what was going on.

If this woman was on the street within a couple of rows, she could have EASILY seen the horse within 15 to 20 feet of her.

Just because you're not in a car and on foot does not mean you should be watching the crowd.

Later when I was on top of Mary's watching the parade, it seemed that the crowd seemed to react to the patrols presence en mass. There were a few that weren't as quick on their feet, but they were simply oblivious as to what was going on (or drunk) until a companion yankeed them aside.

Wait a second.

I didn't say i didn't see them, or notice them. Just saying the officers were not being vocal, or whistling as they claimed. One could easily not see them until they were right on top of you if you were distracted by something... like a parade.

The other problem was that when the mounted officer came by and pushed people back, unless you were in the back row you couldn't move due to the crowd. I was in the back row..

I didn't get to go to this years' parade but I remembered in years past, they had metal barriers that block pedestrians from the street. Were the placed this year?

Somewhat. Not at the beginning or end but they had them in most crowded parts.

I live two blocks from the corner of Westheimer and Dunlavy and attended the parade last year with my six year old daughter who unfortunately did not have the advantage of being six feet tall and seeing the horses coming. She was busy collecting beads and next thing I know, a large, stressed-out unfavourably disposed cop astride a snorting wild eyed horse was a foot from her face. Their actions reduced her to tears - score one for HPD public relations. I can't speak for Montrose and Westheimer but the neighborhood sections of the parade, which I would classify Dunlavy and Westheimer as, isn't remotely comparable to the bacchanalia further down the road. There are small children watching the parade at these points and HPD should have acted accordingly. Ironically, I actually thought this year that the cops were more restrained so was disappointed to hear about this incident.

The bottom line here is that Pride needs to do the parade right or not at all. Fence off the entire length of the parade and forget the cost. They've only themselves to blame if this goes to litigation.

hmmmmmmmmmm you know HPD provides a venue to discuss ALL THINGS HPD----the PIP (postive interaction police program) meetings are held monthly 7pm 1600 state street------ central 1 & 2 division (the pride parade takes place in central 1 division)--is always on the 4th wednesday-- Taking all these concerns to Capt Holloway might be a good thing to do---

What an unfortunate event. I hate to say it, but it would have been worse if the horse was shod (I think all HPD horses go barefoot)

If the horse was as worked up as accounts indicate, it probably shouldn't have been on patrol. Hopefully the HPD will take some steps to correct this.

I believe the horses are donated to the program, so HPD works with what they get. I was suprised to learn that some of those horses are warmbloods - bred for sport - and in my experience those breeds tend to be fairly reactive. Obviously, you can't predict every thing that will happen, but a police horse should be as "bombproof" as it's possible to get. Otherwise, they should be off the force.

I viewed the fireworks from White Oak park a couple of years ago, and there were two mounted police there. One of the horses got extrememly upset when someone set off firecrackers nearby. I was kind of surprised, that's not supposed to happen.

What an unfortunate event. I hate to say it, but it would have been worse if the horse was shod (I think all HPD horses go barefoot)

I'm sure I will be corrected, but I thought that the horses were shod with a special shoe to protect the horses' joints from pounding on the pavement?

Either way, to be hit with one would definitely hurt.

I'm sure I will be corrected, but I thought that the horses were shod with a special shoe to protect the horses' joints from pounding on the pavement?

Either way, to be hit with one would definitely hurt.

For sure, but having been stepped on by both types, I prefer the bare hoof!

I THINK (based on a Chron article) that they may go out with EasyBoots - they are sort of like an adjustable rubber slipper that helps them get traction. Most "normal" mounted police forces shoe their horses. However, the HPD has apparently drunk the "Barefoot is Best" Kool-Aid that some horse people around here swear by. (Horse-keeping is about as fraught with opinions, fads and hysteria as child-rearing in some circles).

That was a bit off-topic, I know, but my riding instructor once went off on a rant about the horseshoeing subject, so I remembered.

• 1 month later...

I used to live right off of Buffalo Bayou, right next to the underpass where the police horses "rest" during the day, so I got to know Kato fairly well. If I'm not mistaken, he may have been one they received from the prison system...can't remember exactly, but I, too, was surprised that they used varying breeds of horses. I hope the horse is okay and that he wasn't "put down" or anything after the accident. I have watched the HPD guys handle their horses, and some were definitely better than most, but they all seemed exceedingly nice. I have pretty strong opinions about using horses for crowd control, however. Personally, I think horses are too "complex" and emotional for that job, if you follow me. I really feel for these horses, on many levels...the pavement, the stress, the heat... If you think about it, and how horses want to behave in the wild, it is really not a very nice situation for them.

Accidents do happen. I guess it's human nature, though, to want to place blame on someone or something. My thoughts are for the lady's complete recovery; I can't imagine how much that must have hurt!

This was posted on the community Yahoo group---

Dear neighbors,

As you may already know, my wife was trampled by HPD mounted patrol at the June 27th Pride Parade. K is doing well and back at work, but faces several years of reconstructive work for her mouth and chin.

Internal Affairs has begun an investigation into this incident and subsequent actions by Houston Police. If you were an eyewitness, you may have already given a statement to our attorney.

If you saw the incident but have not given a statement, we would love to hear from you. Or, if you were elsewhere at the parade and saw actions by HPD mounted patrol that you feel have relevance, your statement is also important.

Please contact:

Sergeant R.B. ChavezInternal Affairs Dept.713-308-8988Robert.Chavez@ CityOfHouston. net

Thank you,B MaxeyXXX Welch St.

• 9 months later...

It has been nearly a year since my wife Kirste was trampled, and she is finally speaking out. Last week 6/15 she appeared before city council urging changes to HPD procedures. Additionally a local pastor from Grace Lutheran Church, also a Montrose neighbor spoke about the HPD Mounted Patrol being out of control at last years parade. Here is a link http://houstontx.cit...fid=06152010-45 (then click on the "Public Speakers - Part 1 of 3). Pastor Lura begins about 45 seconds into it, followed by Cheryl, then Kirste (who gave an emotional speech about what it was like to be trapped under the horse), and then I closed.

I appeared before council again on June 22. Mayor Parker responded & made it very clear that HPD mounted patrol would not be replaced with HPD bicycle patrol as requested by Kirste in her follow-up email.

OK, I know Annise is a new mayor, has a new police chief, and a lot on her plate. I think she is trying very hard to be a good mayor. I would however like to point out how very disappointed I am with Wanda Adams - her nickname should be "useless". And to reiterate, my purpose was not to knock HPD in general, just the mounted patrol who recklessly acted like cowboys during the parade.

6/25 UPDATE: Appears the city has reversed their decision and now bicycle patrols will indeed be utilized. Mounted patrol will be on-site, but to be used only as a last resort (care to guess what that means?). Am wondering if this change of heart came from an article the Chronicle is preparing to publish. So perhaps one can fight city hall?

Prior to council meeting, I wrote an editorial which was rejected earlier this week by the Chron - their response "the incident described affected a limited number of people. We try to focus on larger issues in the op-ed pages". Damn! I know Houston is a big town, but I purposely refrained from inflammatory words in my op-ed to be sure it would get published.

Procedures, Police, and a Parade *** alternate title HPD Horses, Don't Tread on Me ***

When our neighbors invited us to join them at last year's Pride Parade, we didn't hesitate. After all, my wife and I own a 1920s bungalow in eclectic, walkable Montrose, known for its historic homes and recently honored as one of the country's 10 great neighborhoods. We count Annise Parker as a neighbor, and in previous times the late Walter Cronkite and Howard Hughes lived nearby.

So, on that Saturday night in June, we hopped on our bikes and pedaled over to Stanford St. We met our neighbors, a diverse bunch of single and married couples, some with children and others not. The parade began, and we cheered as Mayor Bill White marched past us on Westheimer, heading east to a crowd estimated by the Houston Chronicle to number 80,000. My wife Kirste was busy snapping photos with her iPhone, but she soon discovered that headlights on the floats caused glare, and her pictures looked better if she faced away towards the east.

And then it happened -- a tragedy that should never befall another person enjoying a parade in Houston.

A trio of Houston police officers on horseback approached from the west. They turned into the onlookers assembled along Westheimer, and used their animals to force back surprised spectators, many of whom were cheering as music blared from the floats. But the police did not use any whistles or other sound-making devices for crowd control. And, the Chronicle later reported, there were no barricades on that section of Westheimer. So, the people were immediately confronted with two choices: either step back or be trampled. And my dear wife, facing the opposite direction, never saw what hit her.

The next day, June 28, 2009, a Chronicle article recounted: "Police say the officers, and the horses, were just doing their jobs. `The woman wasn't kicked, stepped on or trampled,' HPD spokeswoman Jodi Silva said." However, several dozen witnesses watched in horror as Kirste was repeatedly kicked and stomped by Kato, a 1,200-pound gelding ridden by Officer P. Hernandez.

During the subsequent police internal affairs probe, an investigator told me that an officer on foot said she saw the horse strike Kirste in the back of her head and knock her to the ground.

Who can we believe? The injuries tell the tale:

An ambulance took Kirste to the emergency room that night. She suffered deep bruising on her arms, legs, and torso. Her forehead was swollen with knots the size of tennis balls as was the back of her head. And she had a hole from a deep cut to her chin that went clear through into her mouth.

But she survived the assault -- and for that I am thankful. And so here we are, nearly a year later, her bruises have healed and dozens of dentist visits are behind her. She still has temporary teeth, and faces multiple years of orthodontic work ahead of her, not to mention reconstructive surgery to her chin.

It's odd sometimes that a person in shock will focus on an issue that seems inconsequential. Kirste recalls asking herself in the ambulance, "Where are my shoes? I'm supposed to usher tomorrow at Trinity Episcopal, I have to be there. I want to tell the police officer that I forgive him. I can't leave without telling him."

Nevertheless, the HPD has never told me why the Mounted Patrol decided it was necessary to turn their horses into the crowd. Or why, at first (until multiple witnesses came forward), did the police department's public affairs office release statements to the media that this incident never even occurred.

Or why, despite the fact that the police are trained in first aid, no officer offered to render aid. A Good Samaritan helped me pick Kirste up and carry her safely away from the agitated horses. Eventually Lt. Wallace dismounted and watched as civilians attempted to stop the bleeding.

Paramedics loaded her into an ambulance, yet no police officer asked her name, or to our knowledge filed a report. Can any of this be standard police operating procedure?

For over 30 years, Houston has hosted a Pride Parade and included the participation of local leaders such as Mayor White. I believe Mayor Parker is this year's Honorary Grand Marshal, and she rode in the parade back in 1979. The 2009 parade was peaceful. Would this behavior be acceptable if a small child had been trampled by a police mount at the annual Thanksgiving Day Parade?

Houston surely is no stranger to parades, but perhaps our city can find an example in the way nighttime parades are managed in New Orleans, where they have been a way of life since the 1830s. Crowd control is managed by a large police presence, primarily on foot. Yet Lt. Wallace was quoted in the Chronicle as saying that about 20 officers were scheduled to patrol the Pride Parade on foot that night but they "didn't make it". Why not? Did the shortage of officers cause the mounted patrol to become overly aggressive?

So, we are left with little but questioning:

· Why did HPD use the crowd control methods they chose?

· Why did the police spokesmen initially deny that anything happened?

· Does HPD use different procedures for the Pride parade than it uses for other parades?

And, has the Houston Police Department or the City of Houston made any changes in parade planning or security procedures as a result of the incident involving Kirste?

My wife and I are both native Houstonians, and we love our city. Our insurance paid for the initial emergency room charges. As for the dental work, I have been paying for it out of pocket. Yes, the costs have been considerable, and much more will come in the months ahead. But it's not always about the money, sometimes it's about doing the right thing.

Kirste feels strongly that she needs to speak out and that the HPD needs to behave better. She plans to take her concerns to the City Council. For, if she does not speak out, and another parade onlooker was injured in a similar tragedy, she could never forgive herself.

Thank you x1000 for posting this. I hope officers not only lose their jobs, but also receive criminal punishment for their failure to render aide.

Its disgusting. :angry2:

EDIT: I just watched the video. Pretty emotional stuff. Would consider posting the pictures of your wife so that those reading this that just aren't getting it, actually get it?

Did Councilwoman Adams ever contact you for that meeting? And what is the current status of you obtaining the police reports?

Cops pulled this a couple of years ago, scaring the wits out of my 5 year old daughter and reducing her to tears. Let's say there's a certain amount of dynamic tension between the parade participants and the lumpen elements of HPD, which on the face of it, constitute a significant percentage of the force.

The mounted cops didn't patrol during the parade this time around for what I could tell. They waited behind the crowds and the event went along very peacefully. However, they were quick to march down Westheimer on horseback the second it ended, and gang up and yell at anyone still standing in the street trying to enjoy their last few moments of the event. I'm not sure what the big deal was, but a group on horseback seemed overly concerned and upset about a straight couple kissing at the edge of Westheimer as the parade wrapped up.

I don't care what those "straighties" do behind closed doors, but do they have to be in my face about it, all kissing in public, etc...I don't want it shoved DOWN MY THROAT!! Hello! We get it. You're straight. Sheesh. :P

• 3 years later...

Read this today--http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Jury-finds-injured-woman-mostly-to-blame-for-4998984.php

then this from Lisa Falkenberg

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/columnists/falkenberg/article/Police-should-learn-from-horse-trampling-case-5000395.php?cmpid=btfpm

I was there that night, standing just in front of Katz's. This was one of the most scary situations I have ever been close to. 

Archived