METRO Quickline Bus Rapid Transit Service To Begin

Neat.

At least from my perspective (I lived off of Bellaire and Kirkwood for a good majority of my life), a lot of people use Metro along Bellaire, specifically from Dairy Ashford to Beltway 8.

I never really ventured much inside the belt on Bellaire, but I can only assume ridership is high there as well.

It would be cool to see light rail from the med area out to Alief area.

One feature of the new rapid route:

The Quickline route also will have specially marked bus stops and GPS-linked trackers that communicate with the buses. A digital display at each bus stop will indicate how many minutes remain until the next arriving bus.

I hope they eventually begin using this on all the buses. The one I take every morning departs every 15 minutes, pretty much on the quarter hour; then, downtown to light rail. By the afternoon, the schedule is shot to heck. In the afternoon, light rail gets me downtown promptly but the bus tends to be late. A sign indicating when the bus will arrive would help a lot. (Although they are changing many schedules at the end of the month--mostly to make them fit reality. Like traffic patterns at different times of the day.)

Hope there's GPS the drivers can use. On occasion, a new one forgets the route. Usually the riders are able to help....

(And, after reviewing Comments at the Chronicle site: Let me congratulate HAIFers for their mainly intelligent level of discourse.)

The thing that caught me totally by surprise was the mention of light rail along Bellaire.

While I think it would be a complete success if it's built, I don't think the CITY of Bellaire would allow it to go through.

There is also the matter on how HUGE (long/whatever) those trains are going to have to be to handle the ridership without interfering with regular traffic. From what I've seen on the Red line, even running every few minutes, it can barely keep up with demand during the high peak times.

The thing that caught me totally by surprise was the mention of light rail along Bellaire.

While I think it would be a complete success if it's built, I don't think the CITY of Bellaire would allow it to go through.

There is also the matter on how HUGE (long/whatever) those trains are going to have to be to handle the ridership without interfering with regular traffic. From what I've seen on the Red line, even running every few minutes, it can barely keep up with demand during the high peak times.

Looking at the Bellaire schedule, it appears the #2 runs anywhere from every 5 minutes to every 15 minutes. They do that with a 40-something passenger bus. Why would a 200 passenger train (400 if they run tandem) not be able to handle the load?

Which is why I'm TOTALLY confused as to why there aren't Quicklines already operating in the planned light rail corridors!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the FUZZ is going on? This Quickline route is the seed for our next rail line!

Looking at the Bellaire schedule, it appears the #2 runs anywhere from every 5 minutes to every 15 minutes. They do that with a 40-something passenger bus. Why would a 200 passenger train (400 if they run tandem) not be able to handle the load?

I'm not saying that it isn't already handling the capacity, but from what I've seen and been told, there are times when those buses are totally packed, particularly during the Rush Hours.

Either way, I don't think it will happen; the city of Bellaire simply won't allow it to pass through their city.

Quickline is up and running, and I caught a photo of the outbound 402 on Holcombe and Greenbriar.

0601091753.jpg

I couldn't tell how many passengers were on the bus. Those graphics on the windows don't allow one to see in.

Folks,

I actually rode this Quickline bus on its first day of service and it was quite a nice ride, IMHO---minus the construction on certain areas along the route that made portions of the trip seem slow. I don't care what critics may say but I think this'll be better than the 2 during the rush hour because when I finally rode the 2 back to the TMC Transit Center after taking photos of the last Quickline buses passing me by on Bellaire @ Ranchester, I thought I was NEVER going to bet back---meaning---it took forever to get from Bellaire @ Ranchester to the TMC Transit Center.

I even did a three-part YouTube video of my ride on one of those buses:

I'll post some pics when I can for those who wish to see them. I'll just have to resize them before I do so.

Quickline is up and running, and I caught a photo of the outbound 402 on Holcombe and Greenbriar.

0601091753.jpg

I couldn't tell how many passengers were on the bus. Those graphics on the windows don't allow one to see in.

What bus number was that? The one I rode---on the first day of service---was 3585.

Just how much blue paint did they use to line both curb lanes from Fannin St. to west bf? And what is that funny symbol every so often? It looks like a coffee cup. I assume the painted lanes means that there is no stopping......ever.....or you get plastered by a blue bus?

• 3 weeks later...

This is good. When I was in LA last week, I frequently rode their METRO Rapid service, which is what I hope Quickline becomes. Their METRO Rapid were rarely late (we never waited longer than 15 minutes), cheap ($1.25), and a clean ride (gets crowded coming back from the beaches though). What are the other routes that METRO is considering for this service? I would think that Westheimer would have been one of the first streets, along with Gessner.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to METRO Quickline Bus Rapid Transit Service To Begin

Archived