Sharpstown Real Estate

HOUCAJUN

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Sharpstown area is an unrealized asset of the greater Houston community.  The real question is: "when will the true value of Sharpstown be realized?"

I think several things need to be satisfied first, including embracing the diverse cultural community that currently comprises the Sharpstown neighborhood; but also addressing the crime that originates from the large apartment complexes that were built during the 1970's.

The second part is the more difficult issue.  Should the complexes be torn down?  If so, what happens to the residents?  Perhaps, stricter law enforcement should take over.  If so, how would it work and who should pay for it?

If its problems can be addressed, the Sharpstown area can really takeoff and once again become a high demand Houston neighborhood.

There was a discussion about this in another thread as well. I think what we need is the city to enforce rules and regulations requiring commercial properties to maintain a clean and safe premises. In particular, these rules should target neglected or abandoned commercial properties including apartment complexes. While residents in most residential communities are required to abide by the deed restrictions, it appears that owners of commercial properties are free to do with their properties whatever they want.

The owners/management of neglected apartment complexes must be required to complete needed repairs and renovate their properties. Indeed, I think they are already in violation of current laws pertaining to public safety since I wouldn

• 5 months later...

I was wondering if anyone lives in or knows much about this area of Sharpstown. The boundries are Bellaire to the North, Fondren to the East, 59 & Beechnut to the South and Gessner to the West. In the middle of this neighborhood on Mary Bates Street is a Catholic Church and Private School called St. Francis De Sales, a City Park, Sharpstown Middle School, an Asian Temple, and a small HISD Elementary School. It feels kind of secluded from what I think of when I hear the word Sharpstown.

Specifically, I'm looking for feedback on quality of life, crime/safety, flooding, school info, etc.

Thanks,

Dream

• 2 weeks later...

Its a mixed area really. Sharpstown itself is actually much larger than the specific area you mentioned. Sharpstown mall is right to the east of Fondren, its been on the decline for quite some time now. There is a large mix of all sorts of people in the area. Some of the nearby apartment complexes are nice, but some have been plagued with crime. If u're looking to move there, I'd drive around the neighborhood streets all around, and look at the quality of upkeep on the houses, cars, trash, lawns, etc. At best, you will not be too far from crime.

Specifically, I'm looking for feedback on quality of life, crime/safety, flooding, school info, etc.

Thanks,

Dream

Ok for quality of life I would say pretty good the neighborhood is much nicer than the apartment lined streets that surround it. Could you ask about some specific factors? For crime/safety in the neighborhood I have personally never even had something stolen out of my yard. So I would say it is pretty safe (lived here ten years). Also someone I know who has lived here closer to twenty or so years has only had their bikes stolen when they accidentally left their garage door open all night.

For flooding it used to be pretty bad and would flood almost every time it rained hard and fast. But even then it never flooded my house or anyone elses house of people I know. But in the past four years or so flooding doesn't seem to be nearly as bad. Water either never rises or just goes down very quickly. Even during Allison I only know one person whos house flooded and it was pretty minor. I am sure there are a few more but I don't think many did.

Regarding schools I don't have to much info on that. I am sure they are not the best out there but I don't really know much about that. You could probably look it up somewhere. Or if you want firsthand "testimonials" I could ask some kids around the neighborhood.

Well I hope that helps.

The crime, as I understand, is concentrated within some of the lower end apartment complexes along Gessner south of Bellaire and along Bellaire starting from Sharpstown Mall and east toward Hillcroft. There are nice, stereotypically middle class homes/neighborhoods to the west of Gessner from US 59 to about Harwin Dr.

The schools in the area are not the worst in HISD or the state of Texas but they're certiainly not the best either. Pretty average.

As was mentioned earlier, take a moment to drive around the area to get a feel for the communities in general.

The housing is very solid and well-maintained and there are some good private schools to choose from. As mentioned, the crime is concentrated around the apartments and commercial businesses which all look like a mess. I'm too lazy to look up HPD crime stats, but I suspect most of what people say about the neighborhoods is exaggerated. Housing prices in Sharpstown have doubled in the last five years.

Thanks for the info.

We have made a few offers on houses in the neighborhood. My wife is pretty fired up about this pocket of homes. I've driven this neighborhood and the others that surrond it, North of Bellaire, West of Gessner, and across 59 by HBU. The other neighborhoods don't seem as safe and well kept up as the one we are discussing. There seems to be some very nice streets and the upkeep of the homes is great. We have talked to long term residents and they have all been very positive. We have noticed young and old couples out walking at night. I've heard the same things about flooding and crime, very little.

I live in the hood right now (3rd ward) so I feel like I can live anywhere and with anyone. The school options are good considering all of the private schools in the neighborhood. I also think new Chinatown on Bellaire is one of the greatest assets to Houston.

Yakuza, do you ever use the park? Is the temple veitnamese or chinese? there seems to be one apartment complex in the middle of the neighborhood behind the school/temple, on triola or carvel off of tanglewilde. is it quiet/safe? do you know much about the planned improvement to bellaire and fondren intersection? is their a homeowners association?

thanks,

dream

• 1 month later...

Any ideas on the revitalization of Sharpstown area, Sharpstown mall, etc.? Things have really picked up from west and east sides along the Bellaire corridor, and around fondren a few car dealerships have left over the years, freeing up some prime development land. Any ideas on what will be coming in? General price appreciation in area is sure to drive out atleast some negative elements that made the area less desirable over the years, but there is still quite a large number of apartments in area, so, any ideas?

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I have lived in Sharpstown my entire life. In my opinion, the homes located inside the various subdivisions of Sharpstown are very beautiful, and the civic association always makes sure that all yards are looking good. However, as you mentioned, the apartments located on Beechnut, Fondren, Gessner, etc. bring down the quality of the entire neighborhood. As a result, all of the shopping centers in the area are filled with poor quality retail. If there were some way to relocate all of the people in the apartments and build new luxury apartments and high-end retail, the area would see a building boom very similar to what happened to West U and Bellaire. However, it is impossible to move all of these people from their homes at once, so the process will be very slow.

but where do all the unwanted apartment dwellers go? where did all the lower middle class people go when bellaire, etcetera began the gentrification process?

not trying to start anything, but it is a legitimate question that i have no clear answer for...

Any ideas on the revitalization of Sharpstown area, Sharpstown mall, etc.?  Things have really picked up from west and east sides along the Bellaire corridor, and around fondren a few car dealerships have left over the years, freeing up some prime development land.  Any ideas on what will be coming in?  General price appreciation in area is sure to drive out atleast some negative elements that made the area less desirable over the years, but there is still quite a large number of apartments in area, so, any ideas?

I grew up in Sharpstown and my parents have live there since 1971. Just this weekend my mother told me she noticed that whites are now buying houses again in the neighborhood. (She is west of Gessner) She attributed it to higher home prices, which she claims can be as high as $160,000. (I admit, I'm a little skeptical). She said newcomers don't have children - no surprise there due to the local schools.

Sharpstown has really been hollowed out in terms of retail, due to both low income apartment dwellers and low-consuming empty nesters like my parents. Still, there have been some recent votes of confidence, such as the new Circuit City on Bellaire at 59.

As for Sharpstown Mall, I think the main risk is the pullout/closure of Foley's/Macys. However, I would expect Wal-mart to move in which should keep the mall going.

As for the apartments, I don't see that problem going away or improving anytime soon. As long as those apartments are there, they will preclude a full-scale revival of the area.

such as the new Circuit City on Bellaire at 59.

I hate that store for several reasons, mostly becasue it is in the same layout as all of there other stores. It used to be where everything was in its own area, kind of isolated. If you have been to their other store you would know what I mean. It used to be on the other side of 59. Kind of near memorial hermann.

I hope that Walmart does not come back to Sharpstown, but that is just me, I can't seem to remember the year they pulled out.

Regarding whites I have seen an upsurge, and they also seem to have children. But homes in my area are not going for 160, more like 110 to 120. Well at least selling for around there or a little higher.

• 1 month later...
Out of curiosity, I just took a look at har.com: there are indeed houses in Sharpstown--west of Gessner, even--going for $160,000 or more.

Prices sure are skyrocketing here in Westbury, and they'd probably be even higher if it weren't for the low-rent apartment complexes nearby.

If you had Zoning, this would not be a problem. but we are Houston dammit, we are diverse !

...If there were some way to relocate all of the people in the apartments and build new luxury apartments and high-end retail, the area would see a building boom very similar to what happened to West U and Bellaire. However, it is impossible to move all of these people from their homes at once, so the process will be very slow.

I think what the area needs are a few investors to actually buy and revitalize the apartments there and turn them into luxury apartments rather than building new ones completely (may be a faster process.) Sharpstown will never get back in shape as long as the lower-quality apartments are there driving out the high end business and higher quality living.

I do think Sharpstown has the potential to have a boom similar to Meyerland Plaza if people have a reason to want to go there more than another mall. But I think we all agree, if we want the Sharpstown area to not become a rundown neighborhood and mall in the next ten years, and if we want Sharpstown to become a first-class area again, the lower-quality apartments have somehow got to go, and Sharpstown's Mall and immediate Mall area would need to condense and become THE central business and retail place for the area (similar to how First Colony Mall is for Sugarland.)

The apartments that y'all are referring to are actually quite big. Growing up in the 70's my mother and I lived in one of the apartments on Beechnut, even way back then they weren't the best , but they weren't that bad either. Not like they are now. I don't even know that if you were packing a couple of Uzi's, That you'd feel all that safe there. :D

• 5 months later...

I don't know how aware some of you are of the problems Sharpstown has had with a club in the old K-Mart lot called Carnival. It has been a crime hotspot and continues to get worse and worse.

Much to our dismay, we learned that the owner had purchased the old Gillman lot at the corner of Bellaire and Fondren and was planning to develop it including a larger night club.

After much public and political outcry and action, Carnvial will be no more as soon as their current liquor license expires. You can be certain that many will try to get it terminated earlier than that.

This is a great thing. I have stood by the belief that if the new club was built on that corner, it would be one of the final nails in Sharpstown's coffin. Gladly, it won't happen and we can breathe a little easier now.

Still have two years of gun shots to hear every night at 2am though.

Article @ KPRC:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/8191761/detail.html

The only crime the article mentions was a shooting 4 years ago ? Did they miss a few items ?

Should they also close the MarqE - they had 1 shooting and one stabbing about a month ago ?

That is just one cited incident. The stack of complaints for that location for one month was over 4 inches thick when HPD brought some records to one of the meetings.

If the club is open, between 1:45 and 2:30am you will hear at least one set of gun shots. Also, the streets in the surrounding neighborhoods have people leaving the club speeding and weaving through them. Additionally, the overall crime rate in the area rose dramatically after the club opened (especially in the neighborhoods immediately surrounding it).

Additionally, the place is a well known drug and prostitution spot.

The Marquee is not at all as dangerous as the Carnival is. I heard that the former Gillman lot was going to be a Hispanic themed shopping center. Any truth to that rumor?

I think that was the original idea, but I think it got shot down with the new club being concept being shot down.

So far as I know, the property is up for sale again. It is prime real estate, so I'd love to see a nice retail development come in with a grocery like Randals, Kroger or HEB, perhaps a Target or Kohls, etc. A few restaurants would be nice too, perhaps on pads. There was discussion of a pad site development at sharpstown mall last year of a Starbucks.

• 1 month later...

I am looking to remove a wall in my house between the ridiculously tiny sunken living (actually an accident waiting to happen next to the entry) and tiny non-sunken dining and the den. This will require someone who can do the calculation to install a drop beam across a span of about 18 ft. We are looking to do a mod interior with a very open kitchen/den/flex space.

Any recommendation on who can remove this wall, install the beam, and restructure accordingly. Also, the "kitchen has got to be gutted. After that, i have contractors for everything else. Any recommendations?? Prefer someone that isn't going to require bringing smoke detectors up to code in a small house for $1000 along with all the other code issues in an older house??

Thanks for your help!!

• 2 weeks later...
It is prime real estate, so I'd love to see a nice retail development come in with a grocery like Randals, Kroger or HEB, perhaps a Target or Kohls, etc. A few restaurants would be nice too, perhaps on pads. There was discussion of a pad site development at sharpstown mall last year of a Starbucks.

Target closed their Sharpstown store not too long ago after the Meyerland store opened. I wonder if they will come back to Sharpstown.

• 4 months later...

I think it's great that Sharpstown is shutting down some of the bad places. I moved back there in 2000 and could not believe the changes it had gone through in such a short time. Sharpstown used to be a nationwide mecca for subdivisions. Sharpstown could come back if enough people got together and fought for it.

Is that ladies dancing bar still there? I off of Hwy 59 in the almost-Sugarland area, but I'm not sure. I do remember the big stink it caused when it first opened it's doors. But it was still there when I left Houston in 2002. At least the building was still there.

I was born and raised in Houston and lived there for 30+ years. I have seen communities go down hill, fall apart, act out in retaliation, reclaim, and then rebuild. Look at Montrose for example. It was in shambles in the early 1980s and with community effort, it came back and the property value even increased.

Sharpstown can come back, but not without community effort!

Sharpstown can come back, but not without community effort!

It's in a fairly good geographical location and there are some modest but decent mid-century homes over there that are bound to get more and more attractive in the coming decades. The reputation of the general area will have to be overcome first though.

With housing prices typically appreciating slowly but surely, it will probably be many years before gentrifying forces start to mass, although an unseen trickle of early scouts may have already begun to infiltrate.

A quick carpet bombing of the nearby apartments would speed up the process.

Archived