Why some people hate the suburbs

AAA

So all of the best stuff is inside the loop, and you've come to that conclusion by rejecting any evidence to the contrary. Enjoy your tiny world.

No, I didn't say that. See, you seem to be intent on arguing against a certain mindset, one which I have not expressed. I never said all of the best stuff is inside the Loop, but I'm not willing to drive to Webster for dinner. I'm sure its quite good, but there are plenty of good places close to me, and the good places are a lot closer together than the good places in outlying areas in my experience. You want me to hate Outer Loop people with a passion. I don't. As I have stressed several times in this thread I just have different priorities than people living in Sugarland, Katy, and Webster.

See, I never said anything good or bad about the place on Nasa Road One, because I've never been there. But the poster seemed to want to compare it to Mai's and Hollywood, neither of which is all that great. I was simply saying that there are better places in the Loop to compare to than Mai's and Hollywood. In fact, I would say that Hollywood doesn't have any redeeming qualities.

You seem to be mad at me for faulting other people for their lifestyle (something I haven't done) yet you criticize me for living my life the way I want to live it.

You keep standing up the same straw mans so that you can knock them down. They are arguments that I am not making.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I didn't say that. See, you seem to be intent on arguing against a certain mindset, one which I have not expressed. I never said all of the best stuff is inside the Loop...

Sure you did:

In particular, Houston's best restaurants are in the Loop. In fact, pretty much Houston's best _______ are in the Loop.

If that isn't your "mindset", why did you write it?

When I make claims like "all the best Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian and Mexican food in Houston is found outside the loop now", that's based on first hand experience. I don't let a freeway limit my mobility or my opinions. I spend about as much time inside and outside the loop. From your posts here, it sounds like you don't even bother to see what's going on outside the loop.

You want me to hate Outer Loop people with a passion.

No I don't.

You seem to be mad at me for faulting other people for their lifestyle (something I haven't done) yet you criticize me for living my life the way I want to live it.

Nope. I criticize you for making sweeping claims about suburbs and Houston outside the loop. I want you to live your life the way you want to live it, but I will object when you put down people who choose to live some other way, and further object when you make false generalizations about them.

Sure you did:

If that isn't your "mindset", why did you write it?

When I make claims like "all the best Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian and Mexican food in Houston is found outside the loop now", that's based on first hand experience. I don't let a freeway limit my mobility or my opinions. I spend about as much time inside and outside the loop. From your posts here, it sounds like you don't even bother to see what's going on outside the loop.

No I don't.

Nope. I criticize you for making sweeping claims about suburbs and Houston outside the loop. I want you to live your life the way you want to live it, but I will object when you put down people who choose to live some other way, and further object when you make false generalizations about them.

I think you're taking my statements a little too literal. Anyway, I don't believe I put anyone down.

Personally, I don't think there are enough legitimate examples of "urbanity" in Houston yet to really justify hating its suburban developments. As has been pointed out, most of Houston's "urban" neighborhoods are actually suburbs which had been annexed.

Personally, I don't think there are enough legitimate examples of "urbanity" in Houston yet to really justify hating its suburban developments. As has been pointed out, most of Houston's "urban" neighborhoods are actually suburbs which had been annexed.

that is the best observation made yet in this thread.

I think you're taking my statements a little too literal. Anyway, I don't believe I put anyone down.

Perhaps you should indicate when your statements shouldn't be taken literally, and I recommend reading over your posts in this thread to refresh your memory of how you've portrayed Houston and its citizens outside the loop.

Some people like suburbs, some like cities, some like farms... live where you like... I definitely prefer cities... that's just my preference.

Why I dislike the suburbs...

- they are further away from city centers and things that come with cities (better restaurants, shopping, clubs, bars, museums, theaters, etc.)

- very little diversity

- homes seem more "mass produced"

- people tend to be more socially conservative / close-minded

- lifestyles of those who live in suburbs (not everyone of course!) seem more "robotic"... they get up, go to work, drive home from work, make dinner, watch tv, go to bed... *yawn*.

- too quiet! too boring! too slow-paced!

- larger percentage of residents belong to cults... I believe they call them "churches"

- too many kids and minivans... also too many soccer / cheerleader moms and football fathers trying to relive their "glory days" through their kids since their lives now suck

- people interact with each other much less

- people, on average, tend to be more stupid (they think all blacks want to rob them... all gays want to steal and eat their children... all muslims are terrorists... you get the picture.) I work with more than 1 surburbanite who are afraid to go Downtown b/c they believe will get robbed or run over by the light rail... those words have come out of their mouths... either has yet to happen to me. :ph34r:

I could go on but I'll stop there. These are must my opinions... some people love suburbs and if they do they should live there... I would probably kill myself... but that's just me.

one trip through there on your 3 speed with your feather boa and your leather thong on and you were able to discern all this....WOW :lol:

See, this is exactly the attitude I mentioned earlier. There IS a snobbery about living inside the loop. I don't understand why...

Its not snobbery, its practicality. Why drive 20 miles for what I'm sure is good food when I'm surrounded by good food? It doesn't make any sense.

Its not snobbery, its practicality. Why drive 20 miles for what I'm sure is good food when I'm surrounded by good food? It doesn't make any sense.

are you too dense to realize that not everyone eats out for every meal......gasp......some people might not have to DRIVE anywhere to eat because they can actually eat at home :rolleyes:

No, because I would be bored to death.

...buy a house that needs work done on it... you'll never be bored... In fact, that alone, is like an adventure. "Let's see what they did under the sink... Wow! Look at that! Never knew you could wrap an electrical wire around plumbing like that... need to put this at the top of my 'My God, I can't believe they did this' list...Guess I'll be working on both plumbing and electrical this weekend..." Months, and months of endless entertainment...

are you too dense to realize that not everyone eats out for every meal......gasp......some people might not have to DRIVE anywhere to eat because they can actually eat at home :rolleyes:

We were talking about it in the context of Vietnamese restaurants. I eat at home most days.

We were talking about it in the context of Vietnamese restaurants. I eat at home most days.

my apologies this thread is so full of urbanist insults and total garbage it is hard to keep up with.....and I doubt anyone in Houston needs to drive 20 minutes to find good food of most any type no matter where they live

my apologies this thread is so full of urbanist insults and total garbage it is hard to keep up with.....and I doubt anyone in Houston needs to drive 20 minutes to find good food of most any type no matter where they live

First of all I never said anything about 20 minutes. Second of all, we were talking about a specific restaurant on Nasa Road One which is 20 miles from my house, and which I will likely not be driving to so long as there is good food much closer to me than that.

I never said people have to drive 20 minutes to find good food anywhere.

First of all I never said anything about 20 minutes. Second of all, we were talking about a specific restaurant on Nasa Road One which is 20 miles from my house, and which I will likely not be driving to so long as there is good food much closer to me than that.

I never said people have to drive 20 minutes to find good food anywhere.

excuse me 20 miles.....which ANYWHERE in Houston means much longer that 20 minutes even if you are a native Houston driver

Well, I'll tell you what I hate most about suburbs in Texas. How much driving it takes and the sight off the freeways between here and there. In Chicago and other cities up north where they actually have zoning and planning, the suburbs aren't so drastically different and offer such a drastically different way of life like they do here. Too much distance and too much ugliness between wherever "here" is and wherever "there" is. I minimize that by staying in my little ITL bubble. Also, the streets out there are confusing... there seems to be more of a grid here. So it is not suburbs I hate, per se, it's the way they are designed and how far they are from everything of interest to me here in Texas.

I also hate some of the superior suburban attitudes that associate anything the city with bad, dirty, dangerous, and poor... the people, the schools... The snobbery goes both ways.

But not everyone lives in the loop.

I'm pretty confident that people are not reading the thread and just responding to the last post or three in the thread without any sense of context.

memebag was asking why I was passing judgment on a particular Vietnamese restaurant on Nasa Road One. I said that I'm sure its good, but I personally am not going to drive 20 miles for it when there is so much good food around me right here in the Loop. For people that live out that way, I'm sure its great, I'm sure they love it, etc.

But not everyone lives in the loop.

True, most don't - I think the issue is finding places to patronize that are nearby. It's more about liking where you live and supporting local businesses, restaurants, and so on.

I think the common (mis?)perception is that folks that live "far out" live in some vortex with restaurants, retail, and entertainment they hate and therefore have to drive outside of the community.

I'm sure there are folks in the 'burbs that do live in winding vortexes of neighborhoods, but I'm not familiar enough with it to make a statement about it.

Well, I'll tell you what I hate most about suburbs in Texas. How much driving it takes and the sight off the freeways between here and there. In Chicago and other cities up north where they actually have zoning and planning, the suburbs aren't so drastically different and offer such a drastically different way of life like they do here. Too much distance and too much ugliness between wherever "here" is and wherever "there" is. I minimize that by staying in my little ITL bubble. Also, the streets out there are confusing... there seems to be more of a grid here. So it is not suburbs I hate, per se, it's the way they are designed and how far they are from everything of interest to me here in Texas.

I also hate some of the superior suburban attitudes that associate anything the city with bad, dirty, dangerous, and poor... the people, the schools... The snobbery goes both ways.

you know what a lot of people in Texas hate....is when someone from the north or California comes here and tells us how they all do it back home...and then talks about how good it all was there....and then bashes the suburbs.....and then when you ask them what it was like living in south Chicago or East LA they look at you like you are crazy and proceed to tell you what lilly white white flight area they lived in...it really makes you want to ask them if things were SO GREAT THERE then why the hell did they move here and why the hell don't they go back wherever they came from if it was all so great....and why did they not live in south Chicago, East LA, East St. Louis, or Gary Indiana when they lived in what ever "great" place they moved here from.....maybe if all these yankee idiots did not move to Texas we would not have so much sprawl!

and yes is is SO SNOBBY to desire that your child goes to school in an area that is SAFE and where the kids and parents value education instead of only getting into race based diversity crap while their "chilwren axe a foo" and read 3 or four grades below their level, can't speak proper English, or perform basic math, and have chilwren when they are still chilwren.....God forbid we look down on what is dragging society into the gutter.....next you would think some suburban snob might have the audacity to look down on drunken bums and prostitutes roaming school grounds and gang fights and shootings at schools!

you know what a lot of people in Texas hate....is when someone from the north or California comes here and tells us how they all do it back home...and then talks about how good it all was there....and then bashes the suburbs.....and then when you ask them what it was like living in south Chicago or East LA they look at you like you are crazy and proceed to tell you what lilly white white flight area they lived in...it really makes you want to ask them if things were SO GREAT THERE then why the hell did they move here and why the hell don't they go back wherever they came from if it was all so great....and why did they not live in south Chicago, East LA, East St. Louis, or Gary Indiana when they lived in what ever "great" place they moved here from.....maybe if all these yankee idiots did not move to Texas we would not have so much sprawl!

We're here... some of us are queer... get used to it! :P

and yes is is SO SNOBBY to desire that your child goes to school in an area that is SAFE and where the kids and parents value education instead of only getting into race based diversity crap while their "chilwren axe a foo" and read 3 or four grades below their level, can't speak proper English, or perform basic math, and have chilwren when they are still chilwren.....God forbid we look down on what is dragging society into the gutter.....next you would think some suburban snob might have the audacity to look down on drunken bums and prostitutes roaming school grounds and gang fights and shootings at schools!

Yes, I know some people in Texas hate that. Who did that, and what does it have to do with my post?

It is so snobby to ASSUME only schools in the suburbs are great, and only parents there care about their kids' education. Houston has some great magnets and neighborhood schools. I get really sick of the HISD-bashing and blanket generalizations based on thinly-veiled racism that the schools aren't as good, because it just isn't true. Not all the schools in the suburbs are great either.

We're here... some of us are queer... get used to it! :P

I think what some have no desire to get used to is that the only thing that some can state about themselves in any way shape or form is who or what they choose to have sex with....has it ever occured to you that some really don't care who or what you have sex with.....but they do care that is all you can seem to "be" :huh:

Yes, I know some people in Texas hate that. Who did that, and what does it have to do with my post?

It is so snobby to ASSUME only schools in the suburbs are great, and only parents there care about their kids' education. Houston has some great magnets and neighborhood schools. I get really sick of the HISD-bashing and blanket generalizations based on thinly-veiled racism that the schools aren't as good, because it just isn't true. Not all the schools in the suburbs are great either.

well has it ever occurred to you that not all parents or kids desire to go to a magnet school....because some people GASP just have regular kids that have no idea what they want to be in life when they are 14-15 years old or they have no desire to be ONLY that and just want to go to a normal local NEAR BY high school with an overall quality education....and possibly....I am about to say it....play on sports teams as well

and possibly some parents don't desire to be a part of thinly veiled acceptance of poor performance by sending their kids to a magnet school that is designed to cover up for the overall poor performance of the school it is attached to or to be a part of overt racism that seems to think that some students can't, won't, or shouldn't be held to the same standards of education solely because of the color of their skin

you claim racism like so many others...but when one looks at the stats a HUGE number of inner city schools are HORRIBLE.....and filled with crime, gangs, teen pregnancy, high dropout rates, and drugs...it is not exclusive to them, but who in the hell would CHOOSE that just to sooth the feelings of a few dolts on this forum.....you seem to be the one caught up on the race of those poor performing parents and their poor performing chilwren.....maybe you are the racist.....if schools with huge numbers of gangs, non English speaking students, violence, drugs, and pregnant students were performing at least EQUAL to or above grade level and had the same or lower drop out rates then possibly your race baiting MIGHT hold water because then one could wonder why parents choose to avoid better performing schools (other than the gangs, drugs and safety of course :lol: )......but you the racist seems to feel that kids performing at a much lower level (and again all the other social issues) is acceptable as long as one can use skin color as an excuse....who is REALLY the racist....and a few magnet schools tossed about here and there is just pandering that only fools and closet race baiters and racial excuse makers (the real racist) find acceptable

the ship channel can't be located inside the loop, or nasa, or petrochemical plants, or every large office building....nor can the people that serve all those things....which means only a total and complete FOOL would think that inside the loop is the ONLY place to live

well has it ever occurred to you that not all parents or kids desire to go to a magnet school....because some people GASP just have regular kids that have no idea what they want to be in life when they are 14-15 years old or they have no desire to be ONLY that and just want to go to a normal local NEAR BY high school with an overall quality education....and possibly....I am about to say it....play on sports teams as well

and possibly some parents don't desire to be a part of thinly veiled acceptance of poor performance by sending their kids to a magnet school that is designed to cover up for the overall poor performance of the school it is attached to or to be a part of overt racism that seems to think that some students can't, won't, or shouldn't be held to the same standards of education solely because of the color of their skin

you claim racism like so many others...but when one looks at the stats a HUGE number of inner city schools are HORRIBLE.....and filled with crime, gangs, teen pregnancy, high dropout rates, and drugs...it is not exclusive to them, but who in the hell would CHOOSE that just to sooth the feelings of a few dolts on this forum.....you seem to be the one caught up on the race of those poor performing parents and their poor performing chilwren.....maybe you are the racist.....if schools with huge numbers of gangs, non English speaking students, violence, drugs, and pregnant students were performing at least EQUAL to or above grade level and had the same or lower drop out rates then possibly your race baiting MIGHT hold water because then one could wonder why parents choose to avoid better performing schools (other than the gangs, drugs and safety of course :lol: )......but you the racist seems to feel that kids performing at a much lower level (and again all the other social issues) is acceptable as long as one can use skin color as an excuse....who is REALLY the racist....and a few magnet schools tossed about here and there is just pandering that only fools and closet race baiters and racial excuse makers (the real racist) find acceptable

the ship channel can't be located inside the loop, or nasa, or petrochemical plants, or every large office building....nor can the people that serve all those things....which means only a total and complete FOOL would think that inside the loop is the ONLY place to live

Poor kids and rich kids alike mix at schools like Lamar, and everything turns out okay.

Of course it's not the ONLY place to live... but it is a BETTER place. :D

But it is snobbery when you say "the best ______" is inside the loop and then admit you won't even try anything outside the loop.

Archived