TIRZ's are not meant specifically for blighted neighborhoods. Any neighborhood willing to take a slight property tax increase for improved infrastructure can form a TIRZ. Uptown has TIRZ and is hardly blighted. The TIRZ's allow for locals to pay for improvemnts without leaching off the rest of the city's tax revenues.

I glad that one exists for Memorial City (didn't know it existed). It will allow the area to become another center for the city. It's already on a good start and the proposals on the table will make it only better.

Actually, I looks like they are just going to take out some of the parking lot for the mall for the aquarium. I really like seeing the tall building in the background behind the mall. This appears to be part of the mixed used expansion for the mall side of Gessner.

It depends. Also, 30 days to the notice to proceed for construction could mean up to 120 days. It depends on the contract. Just because the construction company has the ok to start, they usually can wait up to 45 or 90 days based on the contract. This gets them time to get equipment relocated to the site from other sites. Get in big equipment such as crane which may have to travel far. It's a setup time. They may have a ceremony with some dirt shoveling and then work gets really started. Either way, it seems like it is in motion to be built.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I'm at the hospital twice a week I am always checking to see what is going on. They have closed the gas station there on the corner and they are about to tear it up. They've been leveling and filling the land a lot more, but still nothing new as to what the heck is going in there first. I can't believe they are going to put what is in that drawing on that little 8-acre site. It looks like it's way too big for it.

I know that the mixed used project around Memorial City Mall is well underway in design. GAP is moving there regional offices there and have already signed some leasing agreements. My partner is the head of a GAP store and heard the word from his district manager and was shown the flooplan of there new office in the complex. Of course it is not available to the public though.

• 1 month later...

The dirt keeps turning...

That is, they're still doing groundwork, probably refitting underground pipes and the like. However, I wouldn't expect too much progress until they really get deeper into the Katy Freeway construction along this section. Of course, I could be wrong but that would be my thinking. Kind of like how the Gardens @ Westgreen project in Katy didn't start until the overpass at Westgreen Blvd was completed.

• 3 weeks later...

I came to Houston yesterday and went to Memorial City Mall, and I saw the big posters and the cleared lots, I also saw that one of the buildings has started construction. There are some cement stick looking things coming out of the ground. That area is really clean, with all of the shinny buildings and the fresh looking mall. The only thing I did not like was Mervins, it's such a nasty place.

I came to Houston yesterday and went to Memorial City Mall, and I saw the big posters and the cleared lots, I also saw that one of the buildings has started construction. There are some cement stick looking things coming out of the ground. That area is really clean, with all of the shinny buildings and the fresh looking mall. The only thing I did not like was Mervins, it's such a nasty place.

To be fair I have to agree with citykid on this one. That Mervins does look a little out of place.

The Target is a regular target not Super. No full grocery store there.

Memorial City Mall is not upscale, but a nice suburban type mall. The rennovation to me brings it more into the suburban arean although there biggest competition is the Galeria.

Town and Country Village (not the Mall) is the upscale open air mall in the area. If they other planned development on the old mall location moves forward, it will continue to be the more upscale location from Memorial City.

Actually, the old Town and Country Mall was the upscale mall with Memorial City being the typical suburban.

Memorial City Mall is not upscale, but a nice suburban type mall.  The rennovation to me brings it more into the suburban arean although there biggest competition is the Galeria.

Town and Country Village (not the Mall) is the upscale open air mall in the area.  If they other planned development on the old mall location moves forward, it will continue to be the more upscale location from Memorial City.

Actually, the old Town and Country Mall was the upscale mall with Memorial City being the typical suburban.

You need to check out the west wing of Memorial City Mall. The only place you'll find more designer names is the Galleria. If that's not upper end, then please educate me.

Also, if it weren't for Bailey Banks & Biddle, Pottery Barn, William Sonoma, Neiman Marcus, Town & Country would be a typical strip mall with its other stores like Linens-N-things, Barns-n-Nobles, GAP, Einstien's Bagels, Baby GAP, and Starbucks.