The Most Sugar-Packed Foods

Subdude

Someone sent me the story because I used to get somewhat upset at all the sugar/HFCS that was added to every imaginable food in America - bread, ketchup, salad dressing etc etc. If you check the labels you will be amazed at the amount of HFCS out there.

The Most Sugar-Packed Foods in America Posted Mon, Jul 14, 2008, 4:43 pm PDT

Think your sweet tooth is harmless? Well, it just might bite you back. The average American is wolfing down 460 calories from added sugars every day. That

Someone sent me the story because I used to get somewhat upset at all the sugar/HFCS that was added to every imaginable food in America - bread, ketchup, salad dressing etc etc. If you check the labels you will be amazed at the amount of HFCS out there.

Full article from yahoo.

Interesting article. I was sad to see a Pei Wei entree on there. Sad, but I guess not surprised...

Its nausiating I know. Lets not even get started on SALT! That crap is everywhere too.

The American Heart Association normally divulges and details good long list of the common junk we put into ourselves. High blood pressure is another result of too much sugar.

http://my.americanheart.org/jiveforum/thre...messageID=61386

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4471

I am terrified of sugar!

If I use in tea or coffee, I only use about 1/3 of the little bag and chunk the rest. I see some people put 2 full bags! :oSuicide in slow motion. No thanks!

The artificial stuff is even worse than the real stuff, so you really can't win. I try to use more natural forms, unrefined, like honey in my tea and in cooking a lot. I haven't researched that it's better, but like most things I assume natural is better than processed.

The artificial stuff is even worse than the real stuff, so you really can't win. I try to use more natural forms, unrefined, like honey in my tea and in cooking a lot. I haven't researched that it's better, but like most things I assume natural is better than processed.

Based on what I've read, there's no benefit to honey or turbinado over plain old white sugar. That Oprah suck-up Dr Oz actually has useful stuff in his Your Body/ You on a Diet books. My take on it it: sugar in tea or coffee, just add the 2 teaspoons and don't sweat it, provided you're just having a cup or two a day. There's so much more sugar and HFCS in other foods, that if you cut out the bulk of the soda and white bread and Panda Express, etc out of the diet, you can have good ole sugary sugar in your coffee and not worry. (assuming of course you're not diabetic) Same with salt. I cook with salt. I love salt. But have had to learn to cut out other salt-heavy foods from my diet in favor of using the good stuff as a seasoning when I cook.

I don't know of any direct benefits of honey either, just random things I've read mostly with an Eastern medicine slant. But I just like it better than plain sugar in my tea.

As for salt, there will probably come a day when I have to cut back on that. I love it though. Right now I just counter my massive salt intake by drinking an insane amount of water, which is something I just do anyway, I don't force it. I figure I'm washing the salt out as fast as I put it in. Then again, I'm not a doctor, so making up reasons why what I do is ok is just fun.

My husband and I decided a year ago to cut HFCS out of our diets -- just that one little thing -- and it's made a significant difference on our waistlines and our wallets. But not just because we are no longer eating HFCS...

It's because we pay closer attention to the nutrition labels, eat healthier items overall (like whole-grain bread, just as an example, which doesn't have HFCS in it), eat out much less and prepare many things at home -- not just meals. For example, I make our salad dressings, which is stupidly easy. Plus, it's fun to customize the dressings and try new ingredients each time.

HFCS really is present in so many foods and food "products," that you'd be amazed how much your lifestyle changes when cutting out that one little thing.

My husband and I decided a year ago to cut HFCS out of our diets -- just that one little thing -- and it's made a significant difference on our waistlines and our wallets. But not just because we are no longer eating HFCS...

It's because we pay closer attention to the nutrition labels, eat healthier items overall (like whole-grain bread, just as an example, which doesn't have HFCS in it), eat out much less and prepare many things at home -- not just meals. For example, I make our salad dressings, which is stupidly easy. Plus, it's fun to customize the dressings and try new ingredients each time.

HFCS really is present in so many foods and food "products," that you'd be amazed how much your lifestyle changes when cutting out that one little thing.

My own theory, unsupported by any scientific evidence of which I'm aware, is that HFCS is one reason a lot of Americans are overweight. The "obesity epidemic" didn't really take hold until food manufacturers decided that HFCS needed to be added to practically packaged food. To me it makes perfect sense that you lost weight after cutting out HFCS. In Europe HFCS simply isn't used. If a sweetener is needed it is normally plain ol' sugar, they manage to make items like bread without sweeteners, and people are generally thinner. I'm just convinced it does bad things to your metabolism.

My own theory, unsupported by any scientific evidence of which I'm aware, is that HFCS is one reason a lot of Americans are overweight. The "obesity epidemic" didn't really take hold until food manufacturers decided that HFCS needed to be added to practically packaged food. To me it makes perfect sense that you lost weight after cutting out HFCS. In Europe HFCS simply isn't used. If a sweetener is needed it is normally plain ol' sugar, they manage to make items like bread without sweeteners, and people are generally thinner. I'm just convinced it does bad things to your metabolism.

I completely agree with you, and a big part of the problem is economic. We subsidize farmers to grow corn that is used to make HFCS at an artificially low cost. Food suppliers use it because it's a lot cheaper than sugar (which is imported and highly taxed). People buy the cheap food with HFCS, which makes them fat and unhealthy. They need medical attention that strains the healthcare system and costs the country billions of dollars in excess medical costs.

Can someone please explain to me how this makes sense? :blink:

Can someone please explain to me how this makes sense? :blink:

I already told you: Sugar is yummy. We spent millions of years evolving a sweet tooth. Now we get all the sugar we want, and the consequences that go with it. Say what you will, it still beats being eaten by a saber-toothed tiger.

I already told you: Sugar is yummy. We spent millions of years evolving a sweet tooth. Now we get all the sugar we want, and the consequences that go with it. Say what you will, it still beats being eaten by a saber-toothed tiger.

I'm all in favor of allowing people to choose to eat as much sugar as they want. Just don't make the prices artifically low the way we do now.

But yes, all things considered, I'd take diabetes over being a snack for a saber-tooth.

I am terrified of sugar!

If I use in tea or coffee, I only use about 1/3 of the little bag and chunk the rest. I see some people put 2 full bags! :oSuicide in slow motion. No thanks!

One packet of sugar is only 4 grams. By way of comparison, the glass of yellow dewy goodness, known as Mountain Dew sitting in front of me has a mere 45 grams of sugar...11 of those sugar packets...PER SERVING. And I am drinking a 24 oz. bottle! That is nearly one third of a 1 pound bag of Imperial Pure Cane Sugar in each bottle.

I think I am going to throw up.

One packet of sugar is only 4 grams. By way of comparison, the glass of yellow dewy goodness, known as Mountain Dew sitting in front of me has a mere 45 grams of sugar...11 of those sugar packets...PER SERVING. And I am drinking a 24 oz. bottle! That is nearly one third of a 1 pound bag of Imperial Pure Cane Sugar in each bottle.

I think I am going to throw up.

Just dilute the mountain dew with some vodka. all better!

Because this way, not only corn farmers, but processed food manufacturers, doctors and pharmaceutical companies get stinkin' rich. Without the subsidy, perhaps none of them do.

They call that a "win-win".

Wow. That's simply amazing. A Nestle's Triple Chocolate ice cream cone only has 24g of sugar. I'll eat 4 to catch up with you.

Oho! So there is evidence linking HFCS to obesity.

Does Fructose Make You Fatter?

High-fructose corn syrup is a sweetener used in many processed foods ranging from sodas to baked goods. While the ingredient is cheaper and sweeter than regular sugar, new research suggests that it can also make you fatter.

In a small study, Texas researchers showed that the body converts fructose to body fat with

Oho! So there is evidence linking HFCS to obesity.

link me baby

God forbid though that the FDA would ever consider limiting its use. I mean we certainly wouldn't want to do anything to upset food manufacturers and corn farmers. <_<

Sounds like the push to use corn for ethanol may be a good thing after all, since its use as a sweetener is probably killing us. It also seems to me that rather than demonize table sugar, it would be a better practice to caution that what you can't see is what is killing you. If a person is worried about that tablespoon of sugar containing 13 grams of carbs, but instead drinks a coke, you've done the sugar equivalent of putting down the knife and picking up a hand grenade.

So, to use Vertigo's iced tea example, even using 2 packets of sugar is not a bad thing, if that 16 ounces of iced tea kept you from drinking a Dr Pepper. The sugar difference is roughly 80% less.

Yep, the thing is that all sugars are not created equal. If you are trying to lose weight it would make more sense not to avoid all sugars, but to cut out all the HFCS, which, ironically, tends to be more loaded into low-fat foods. HFCS usage really picked up when manufacturers started using it to replace the sweetness that was lost when they were trying to reduce the fat in foods. Why they feel compelled to add it to bread etc on the other hand is anyone's guess.

Yep, the thing is that all sugars are not created equal. If you are trying to lose weight it would make more sense not to avoid all sugars, but to cut out all the HFCS, which, ironically, tends to be more loaded into low-fat foods. HFCS usage really picked up when manufacturers started using it to replace the sweetness that was lost when they were trying to reduce the fat in foods. Why they feel compelled to add it to bread etc on the other hand is anyone's guess.

Great thread! But add to this HFCS problem the fact that nearly everything is served with French Fries, Rice or some other carbohydrate and it's easy to see why obesity is such a problem. I mean, even so-called "Healthy Choice" (and similar brands) frozen means offer very few vegetables in them. More often than not, it's rice or some kind of pasta or potatos.

So, this problem is in the restaurants AND the grocery store. It's hard to get away from what is turning everyone into blimps.

All these carbs are fattening everyone up!

Looks like I picked the right week to quit drinking Vodka and Redbulls. I had a total of TEN of them last Friday, and literally passed out the next morning, very scary. No more FUll Throttles or Rockstars either. Thanks Subdude.

Can you suggest any easy things to eliminate to reduce HFCS intake? I already eat pretty healthy... no soda, very little fast food. But I would like to rediscover my waist.

Can you suggest any easy things to eliminate to reduce HFCS intake? I already eat pretty healthy... no soda, very little fast food. But I would like to rediscover my waist.

Just start by reading the labels on food you buy, but it is difficult to avoid with processed food. You can find sugar-free bread, and things like organic ketchup won't have it.

Its nausiating I know. Lets not even get started on SALT! That crap is everywhere too.

The American Heart Association normally divulges and details good long list of the common junk we put into ourselves. High blood pressure is another result of too much sugar.

http://my.americanheart.org/jiveforum/thre...messageID=61386

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4471

I am terrified of sugar!

As someone who is challenged with salt and sodium, it is really hard to escape. Unless you are cooking every meal yourself, you would be SHOCKED at the amount of sodium in most restaurant foods --even common lunch items like meats, breads, and peanut butter.

And peanut butters have high salt AND sugar.

As someone who is challenged with salt and sodium, it is really hard to escape. Unless you are cooking every meal yourself, you would be SHOCKED at the amount of sodium in most restaurant foods --even common lunch items like meats, breads, and peanut butter.

And peanut butters have high salt AND sugar.

Try the natural ones. You can get them in a regular grocery store. Just peanuts. :)

• 1 year later...

I knew it! It's HFCS that makes people gain weight.

Latest high-fructose corn syrup study generates buzz, debate

By Hanna Raskin, Special to CNN

March 25, 2010 10:50 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Acolytes of "Food Rules" guru Michael Pollan and other well-meaning foodies who've made corn a scapegoat for the nation's health crises, this week welcomed a new study from Princeton University that suggests high-fructose corn syrup causes more significant weight gain than table sugar.

But the findings have been criticized by food science experts and industry veterans, who say the study unfairly demonizes corn syrup and implicitly absolves cane sugar of responsibility for making Americans fat.

"The debate about which one is better for you is a false debate, because neither of them is good for you," says Elizabeth Abbott, author of the forthcoming "Sugar: A Bittersweet History."

Researcher Miriam Bocarsly counters that the study wasn't designed to demonstrate "what sugar does for the body." Instead, her team set out to uncover what happens when rats subsist on a diet rich in high-fructose corn syrup for six months. They reported that rats fed water sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup developed more belly fat and had an increased level of circulating triglycerides, fat's chemical form in the body.

Link to the full story

Why not keep the remaining 2/3rds for when you have coffee or tea at home? Use 1/3 each per cup, so that way you aren't wasting any sugar

• The title was changed to The Most Sugar-Packed Foods

Archived