Magnolia Park City Hall & Central Fire Station At 7301 Avenue F

This past weekend we were riding bikes in the Magnolia Park area and came across the old Magnolia Park City Hall (avenue F near canal). The area around is it run down but at least the building still looks maintained. This area is older, but there are still a few nice untouched homes.

Guest danax
This past weekend we were riding bikes in the Magnolia Park area and came across the old Magnolia Park City Hall (avenue F near canal).  The area around is it run down but at least the building still looks maintained.  This area is older, but there are still a few nice untouched homes.

I always wondered which city hall that was. I thought maybe Harrisburg but it's really too far west I suppose. Surprised it's still standing and hasn't been turned into a cantina.

The origin of Fire Company 20 is questionable. A historical document puts the origin of the fire station in the City of Harrisburg. However, old timers in the fire department claim the station was in the City of Magnolia Park.

...Yet, one history of Harrisburg mentions a building that was constructed for a city hall and fire station. The building was located at the site of Station 20 when the area was annexed by Houston in 1926. The boundaries of Harrisburg in another historic document did not include the area around Station 20. Harrisburg was bordered by the ship channel (Buffalo Bayou), Brays Bayou, the railroad tracks of the old Galveston, Harrisburg, and San Antonio Railroad, and LaPorte Road. The fire station was located northwest of Brays Bayou, beyond the borders of Harrisburg.

Despite this one historic record stating the City of Harrisburg built the city hall and fire station, it may be that Station 20 really originated in Magnolia Park.

Annexed

Houston went on an annexation spree in 1926 and absorbed the cities of Magnolia Park and Harrisburg into its city limits. The city hall and fire station became Fire Station 20 on Avenue F and 73rd.

http://www.maxmcrae.com/early_companies/fsno20.htm

Surprised it's still standing and hasn't been turned into a cantina.
2/5/04:
Mayor Bill White and other officials broke ground for the Antonio "Tony" Marron Park, which will be built at 808 North York near Buffalo Bayou.

... Marron was an activist who worked tirelessly to improve the East End for nearly 30 years. He helped renovate Hidalgo Park, fought to close cantinas that were adjacent to schools, spearheaded construction of a new building and parking lot for Stanaker Library and founded "El Centro," the former Fire Station No. 20 that provided services to the elderly.

Guest danax

Interesting info, thanks. Marron must've obviously been bothered seeing how the once nice area was turning into a dump but apparently there weren't enough people like him to stop it from happening. It's fitting then that his name is lent to a park that is on the forefront of, hopefully, mass improvements of the very areas that he envisioned being improved.

... Marron was an activist who worked tirelessly to improve the East End for nearly 30 years. He helped renovate Hidalgo Park, fought to close cantinas that were adjacent to schools, spearheaded construction of a new building and parking lot for Stanaker Library and founded "El Centro," the former Fire Station No. 20 that provided services to the elderly.

my grandmother lived on Ave F since the 40's. I know she use to go to el centro and to another place across 75th. Back in the 70's her house was beautiful. Only had one bathroom but two kitchens. The front door was glass with glass side panels. a similar setup went from the living room to the parlor area. She had a great flower garden cause that's all she ever did in her spare time. Trellises and multiple raised beds. She passed away in the mid-90's and sold it to my cousin who subquently divided the living room in half. i don't know what other "damage" he has done but the house is at least still standing..but i don't know how well it has been maintained. But i will say all the flower beds are history.

• 4 months later...

I was driving around and I came across this building at the corner of Ave O and 73rd streeet in Houston Zip 77012.

The words City Hall are in concrete across the top left hand side. Anyone know anything about this building? It is in the Magnolia neighborhood subdivision.

DSCN0601.jpg

I was driving around and I came across this building at the corner of Ave O and 73rd streeet in Houston Zip 77012.

The words City Hall are in concrete across the top left hand side. Anyone know anything about this building? It is in the Magnolia neighborhood subdivision.

I think you are right. Seems like it was their city hall and fire station.

I found this on the internet from the following page:

http://www.maxmcrae.com/Histories/fsno20.htm

"Houston went on an annexation spree in 1926 and absorbed the cities of Magnolia Park and Harrisburg into its city limits. The city hall and fire station became Fire Station 20 on Avenue F and 73rd. "(That's not the corner you said, though)

Then I checked out the pic and yep I think its the same building you saw.

fsno20Sta1.jpg

fsno20Sta55.jpg

Guest danax

It the same one mentioned, on Ave F. It must've been Magnolia Parks because Harrisburg's likely would've been further east, maybe on Broadway. It's good to see an old building on the East End in decent shape for a change, although it looks to have been through a gut-remodel.

You know, that building looks to be the same era as this one I found on HAR yesterday. (Don't ask - it's been slow here at work.) It's over on Congress St.

hr1504207-1.jpg

The listing says it was an old firehouse from the 1900's, though I question which part of that time period. If only I had more money and was closer to buying... I'm so tempted.

It the same one mentioned, on Ave F. It must've been Magnolia Parks because Harrisburg's likely would've been further east, maybe on Broadway. It's good to see an old building on the East End in decent shape for a change, although it looks to have been through a gut-remodel.

It is Magnolia Park's City Hall. My dad grew up a short walk away from there.

You know, that building looks to be the same era as this one I found on HAR yesterday. (Don't ask - it's been slow here at work.) It's over on Congress St.

hr1504207-1.jpg

The listing says it was an old firehouse from the 1900's, though I question which part of that time period. If only I had more money and was closer to buying... I'm so tempted.

Oooh oooh! I'll go in on it with ya!

Oooh oooh!  i'll go in on it with ya!

:bounces: I'm glad I'm not the only one. It says pending - I hope it's not some punk builder who'll just rip it down. Can you imagine how awesome of a place to live that would be? And sliding down the fire pole (granted, if it's still there) to get to the garage? Come on! Some drywall, paint, and nifty firehouse antiques and put it on Extreme Houses... Besides, who in their right mind would pass up a four car garage? Not me.

Perhaps we can go in on it together, sevfiv? :P

I think you are right.  Seems like it was their city hall and fire station.

I found this on the internet from the following page:

http://www.maxmcrae.com/Histories/fsno20.htm

"Houston went on an annexation spree in 1926 and absorbed the cities of Magnolia Park and Harrisburg into its city limits. The city hall and fire station became Fire Station 20 on Avenue F and 73rd. "(That's not the corner you said, though)

Then I checked out the pic and yep I think its the same building you saw.

Opp's! :huh: I am sorry it was on Ave F. I was on so many streets that day that I lost track of what Ave I was on!

Neat find. thanks!

You know, that building looks to be the same era as this one I found on HAR yesterday. (Don't ask - it's been slow here at work.) The listing says it was an old firehouse from the 1900's, though I question which part of that time period. If only I had more money and was closer to buying... I'm so tempted.

I think the Congress St. building is considerably older than the one in Magnolia Park. Notice the arches above the windows and door, the corbelled brick cornice, the stone sills - these are features found on 19th century buildings. Also, notice that there are rows of eight protrusions above and below the windows. I suspect that these are connected to cable 'ties', which were used to stablize all-brick structures (a cable connects the front and back walls, and has a turnbuckle in the middle to adjust the tension). If I had to take a guess, I'd say maybe 1880-85; possibly older.

The Magnolia Park building has no corbels or arches, much simpler brickwork, and decorative concrete (not stone). I'd estimate that it was built in the early-to-mid 1920s. The Mission Revival details on the roofline point in that direction, as do the original windows shown in the picture with the early 50's Ford.

Hope both of them fall into the right hands - well worth preserving.

I think the Congress St. building is considerably older than the one in Magnolia Park. Notice the arches above the windows and door, the corbelled brick cornice, the stone sills - these are features found on 19th century buildings. Also, notice that there are rows of eight protrusions above and below the windows. I suspect that these are connected to cable 'ties', which were used to stablize all-brick structures (a cable connects the front and back walls, and has a turnbuckle in the middle to adjust the tension). If I had to take a guess, I'd say maybe 1880-85; possibly older.

Are you trying to make things worse? I want it bad enough as it is. :cries:

Guest danax

Dbigtex is right, that has got to be one of our oldest buildings still standing. The only reason it's survived is because that area has been a ghost town for 60 years. And an entire set of storefronts to boot. Looks like it's held up well too. I'm sure the preservationists are keeping an eye on it and I'd be flabbergasted if someone were to demolish it.

Just went by there to check it out...definitely an interesting building

Any more pics, sev? I love the fact that the mile marker is still there... And that whole row I could see rennovated into a block of townhomes. Is the backyard as big as I think it is?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2209+CONGRES...10131&t=k&hl=en

By the way, the warehouse next door is now for sale too. I think we should go into the developer business, sev. :D2201 Congress St for sale.

Guest danax

Great photo, by the way, sevfiv. I can just see Clint Eastwood riding into town wearing a serape, tilted hat and cigar dangling from his mouth.

• 2 years later...
It is Magnolia Park's City Hall. My dad grew up a short walk away from there.

Wow Musicman, your dad might have known my family. I am presently gathering info. to write about Nena E. (my great-grandmother's) story. My mom just told me tonight that Nena used to take food to the firemen at the fire station. I got the impression she took care of political business there, as well. Among her many hats, she wore the one of precinct judge, whatever that means. Must have been in charge of instructing voters in what to do, at that bldg. She lived at Ave. E. & 71st ( I think). What a coincidence, to run across this bldg. topic. Couldn't understand why my mom was talking about voters & firemen, together. Nena was there from the 1920's or even a little earlier. Thanks for the link, gnu. Strange coincidence.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • The title was changed to Houston photo: Former Magnolia Park City Hall
  • The title was changed to Magnolia Park City Hall & Central Fire Station At 7301 Avenue F

Archived