The best retro soundtrack songs.

Pumapayam

Even though I was born in 1979, I have a huge appreciation for 80's retro music, especially the ones, in my opinion, you really never get tired of. Most of them I was listening too on my iPod had a common theme, they appeared in popular 80's movies and most of them on my list are associated with Brat Pack stars. I created a list of my Top Ten, and notice, I did leave out Oingo Boingo's "Weird Science", the movie was great, but that song plain sucked.

51SR0ZDGHYL._SL160_AA115_.jpg10. "I Melt With You" - Modern English - Valley Girl

51T3PItchgL._SL160_AA115_.jpg9. "(I've Had) The Time Of My Life" - Bill Medley and Jennifer Warner - Dirty Dancing

51hoNW5ynpL._SL160_AA115_.jpg8. "If You Were Here" - Thompson Twins - 16 Candles

51DOlh1CESL._SL160_AA115_.jpg7. "Flashdance (What A Feeling)" - Irene Cara - Flashdance

51JX98YDC5L._SL160_AA115_.jpg6. "Hazy Shade Of Winter" - The Bangles - Less Than Zero

41CTVK8CVSL._SL160_AA115_.jpg5. "In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel - Say Anything

51BkT79VFrL._SL160_AA115_.jpg4. "St. Elmos Fire (Man In Motion)" - John Parr - St. Elmos Fire

51F6K5SAF8L._SL160_AA115_.jpg3. "Don't You (Forget About Me)" - Simple Minds - The Breakfast Club

51GXETZ4DHL._SL160_AA115_.jpg2. "If You Leave" - OMD - Pretty In Pink

51BBPX77K5L._SL160_AA115_.jpg1. "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" - Starship - Mannequin

I am sure I will get laughed at for my number #1 choice, but it is a guilty pleasure of mine, heck, I sing to it in the car (Go Starship!). So what is your ultimate 80's soundtrack song top 10, or how would you change mine?

That's easy, I nominate the entire soundtrack album from Repo Man ('84) starring Brat Packer Emilio Estevez.

All I wanted was a Pepsi.......

When I found that on VHS I grabbed it! Classic Cult Film too! Cant believe I saw Suicidal Tendencies at a show and lived to tell about it. :o Still have that very album cover was taken on Venice Beach, CA.

Puma-busters, no need to be embarrased of the first choice it had great songs too. Although considered pop and somewhat mainstream they were still all the rage. Numbers would play too and that was a rarity for Bruce (DJ).

The main actor of the film is the only one that should change the subject when it comes up in interviews. :lol:

Sid n Nancy soundtrack was another winner at that time.

That's easy, I nominate the entire soundtrack album from Repo Man ('84) starring Brat Packer Emilio Estevez.

"Repo Man" wins hands down. Fantastic soundtrack. "Something Wild" had a great soundtrack, but most of it didn't end up on the album. "Rock 'n' Roll High School" came out a year too early to make an 80s list.

I hate Phil Collins so much...this thread was great until that popped up

Well all I can respond to that is:

"Oooh, so typical, love leads to isolation

So you build that wall

---BUILD THAT WALLLL

Yes you build that wall

---BUILD THAT WAAAAALLLLL!!!

AND YOU MAKE IT STRONGER!!!"

Now that will be stuck in your brain all day long.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really enjoyed several of the songs by Tears for fears, and absolutely loved Sammy Hagar befor he cheesed out later.

And I agree with Jeebus. There is no way you can leave out The Cars when talking 80's music.

I really enjoyed several of the songs by Tears for fears, and absolutely loved Sammy Hagar befor he cheesed out later.

And I agree with Jeebus. There is no way you can leave out The Cars when talking 80's music.

I agree too (80's music is the $#!+!), but this thread is kinda a combo favorite 80's soundtrack song from associated movie.

Not sure about Sammy Hagar, but you might surprise is his stuff was used in a movie.

I hate Phil Collins so much...this thread was great until that popped up

Second that motion!

He was only somewhat as a singer OK with Genesis but (a pathetic leprechan when he went solo) :angry:

All he did was make major wuss soundtracks after Genesis split up. What a sap.

Found Rock N Roll High School on DVD the other day and it blew me away! "Teenage Lobotomy" still kills me! Another fantastic cult film. This reminds me of the days (like to forget) of blue and ugh blond hair attempts. What the hell was I thinking :wacko::lol:

I agree too (80's music is the $#!+!), but this thread is kinda a combo favorite 80's soundtrack song from associated movie.

Not sure about Sammy Hagar, but you might surprise is his stuff was used in a movie.

My apologies, I should have been more clear.

Sammy Hagar wrote the title soundtrack for "Fast times at Ridgemont High" which was a big hit. Also, Fast times was a movie that changed young American culture in a big way, so I think Sammy is very relevent. He also wrote the title soundtrack to the animated film "Heavy Metal" which did pretty darn well.

The Cars made it on tons of Soundtracks including Fast Times, and Tears for fears made it on to several soundtracks as well, including "Karate Kid II".

Found Rock N Roll High School on DVD the other day and it blew me away! "Teenage Lobotomy" still kills me! Another fantastic cult film. This reminds me of the days (like to forget) of blue and ugh blond hair attempts. What the hell was I thinking :wacko::lol:

Man how could I have forgotten "Rock N Roll High School"?! I love the Ramones, and although the movie was cheesy, it was cheesy in a good way.

I'll admit to knowing the lyrics to just about every song played on the Sirius 80's channel.

When I'm not at home -- AOL Radio has a killed 80's channel, and it's free!

Mac download

There's probably a Windows version, too, but I couldn't find it. Maybe someone smarter than me can find it.

Here are some other shockers of that era:

Footloose (I'll admit I was tapping my foot during the screening)

Flashdance (secretly liked Maniac, maniac)

Not only did these 2 produce memorable sountracks but a new style in clothes.

flashdance2.jpgfootloose.jpg

Great topic. I still love me some 80s punk/alterntive/pop/goth music. Here are some more songs + movies to think about;

SHE'S HAVING A BABY

"Desire" by Gene Loves Jezebel

"Apron Strings" by Everything but The Girl

NEVER ENDING SOTRY

"Never Ending Story" by Limahl

LESS THAN ZERO

"Going Back to Cali" by LL Cool J

"Hazy Shade of Winter" by Bangles

SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL

"I Go Crazy" by Flesh For LuLu

PRIVATE SCHOOL

"Nasty Girl" by Vanity

"I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow

DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN

"Into the Groove" by Madonna

KARATE KID

"Cruel Summer" by Bananarama

PRETTY IN PINK

"Bring on the Dancing Horses" by Echo + Bunnymen

The "Donnie Darko" soundtrack includes some great late '80s music:

"Never Tear Us Apart" - INXS

"Head Over Heels" - Tears for Fears

"Under the Milky Way" - The Church

"Love Will Tear Us Apart " - Joy Division

"The Killing Moon" - Echo and the Bunnymen

"Notorious" - Duran Duran

"Stay" - Oingo Boingo

The Better Off Dead soundtrack had "Like to Get to Know You Well" by Howard Jones. Also, the title track from Pretty In Pink?! I love(d) the Psychedelic Furs. That whole soundtrack was pretty good - it had The Smiths and New Order plus the previously mentioned Echo & the Bunnymen & OMD.

I've watched all of those John Hughes 80's teen movies so many times that even hearing one of those songs makes me think of the films. "Wouldn't It Be Good" by Nik Kershaw? I immediately think of Pretty in Pink. "I Go Crazy" by Flesh for Lulu? Some Kind of Wonderful. "Edge of Forever" by Dream Academy? Ferris Bueller.

HELLO!? BUELLER?! Has anyone mentioned that one yet? "Oh Yeah" by Yello. Sigue Sigue Sputnik & Big Audio Dynamite, too.

HELLO!? BUELLER?! Has anyone mentioned that one yet? "Oh Yeah" by Yello. Sigue Sigue Sputnik & Big Audio Dynamite, too.

Thats the one I remembered when I got home and forgot to mention. Soundtrack to Ferris Bueller's day Off!

Loaded with good stuff. Not to mention was a big box office draw at the time. :D

PS, since Puma mentioned he was born in 79 he might as well see and buy the sountrack to TGIF or as it was better known Thank God It's Friday! This is not just a hilarious spoof of the Disco craze it features many now famous celebs. This flick captures the era precisely oops other topic. ja!

Diana-Ross-Thank-God-Its-Fri-364543.jpg

I just realized how dorky the "Footloose" poster is.

Kind of embarrased to confess I actually sat through the whole film. :ph34r:

Not sure what Bacon's reaction is NOW when interviewed as to why he accepted the role. Oh well, it kind of gave him a start after/before Diner and other notable films.

I still hate him.

Kevin Bacon always frightened me a bit when I was young. I think he kind of looks like a corpse. Needless to say he was perfect in "Hollow Man".

My sister and I had the "Footloose" soundtrack when we were little, always blaring from her pink boom box outside in the summertime.

We thought of a few more over here: "Axel F" from Beverly Hills Cop, "A View to a Kill" by Duran Duran from that movie, and I guess you could put the Ghostbusters theme in here, as well. Duran Duran is probably the only one I'd listen to, though.

What about The Goonies?! I still love Cyndi.

I think someone mentioned The Karate Kid and while I don't like this song, I love any excuse to link to

Madonna had some 80's soundtrack tunes, didn't she? "Crazy for You" and "Live to Tell" are the only ones I can think of right now.

Although not made in the 80's this film was an excellent spoof of the 80's era and has some very memorable (and strikingly familar people we all knew in HS) moments throughout. :D

The music is what brings back images of those times galore.

The director must be (about my age & fellow Haifer's). He hit the nail on the head on this outrageously hilarious film soundtrack of the 80's. Perfecting casting as well!

200px-Romy_and_michele_s_high_school_reunion.jpg

Archived