Icon M Tower: Condominium High-Rise At 1209 Montrose Blvd.

memebag

The Golden Room (good Thai restaurant at 1209 Montrose) is closed as of tomorrow until early September for remodeling. It's going to be called "<someone> & <someone> Thai-American Cafe". We just happened to go there tonight for dinner and saw the signs saying "See you in September". Their spicy mint chicken was the shiznizzle. :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
The Golden Room (good Thai restaurant at 1209 Montrose) is closed as of tomorrow until early September for remodeling. It's going to be called "<someone> & <someone> Thai-American Cafe". We just happened to go there tonight for dinner and saw the signs saying "See you in September". Their spicy mint chicken was the shiznizzle. :(

I heard from someone yesterday that the Golden Room Thai Restaurant has been leveled. Does anyone know if this is part of the remodel, or has Golden Room gone bye bye?

Lovett 19

I heard from someone yesterday that the Golden Room Thai Restaurant has been leveled. Does anyone know if this is part of the remodel, or has Golden Room gone bye bye?

Lovett 19

Well, it's a heck of a remodel then. They won't be re-opening in Septmeber, though. The Golden Room is a golden pile of rubble. I was pretty suprised--I just noticed it yesterday.

Dry your eyes little one. There are plenty of good Thai alternatives around, many I think better than Golden Room. It's a little away, but try Patu in the Village.

Dry your eyes little one. There are plenty of good Thai alternatives around, many I think better than Golden Room. It's a little away, but try Patu in the Village.

I've been there; not impressed. I've been to lots of Thai places and Golden Room was one of my favorites. My fiancee loved it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Mrs. Bag and I drove by on Christmas Eve and it was open for business. There's still a sign that says "Golden Room", but there's big "K" on the front of the building for whatever that new name is.

They've taken a quaint little restaurant that felt like someone's old house and turned it into an industrial cafeteria with furnishings from Ikea. The food we ordered was exactly the same and our favorite waiter was there, so we're deeply thankful, but remain bewildered by the motivation for the remodel. Will more people eat Thai food if it's served on formica tables with no table cloths?

Mrs. Bag and I drove by on Christmas Eve and it was open for business. There's still a sign that says "Golden Room", but there's big "K" on the front of the building for whatever that new name is.

They've taken a quaint little restaurant that felt like someone's old house and turned it into an industrial cafeteria with furnishings from Ikea. The food we ordered was exactly the same and our favorite waiter was there, so we're deeply thankful, but remain bewildered by the motivation for the remodel. Will more people eat Thai food if it's served on formica tables with no table cloths?

Sounds like they are cloning Kanonwam / Telephone Thai.

I'm really sad because I just moved to the area around the same time they closed down for remodeling so I never got to experience the homeyness of the original Golden Room. However, despite the sterile ambiance the new places gives off, the food is TERRIFIC. I've been there 4 times since they opened a few weeks ago and I have yet to be disappointed. And according to memebag's review of the food since it became Khun Kay Thai, I'm glad I'm not really missing out!

What is that?

Fantastic Thai food where they treat the customers like a necessary evil. It's new location is actually behind a strip center so it is a bit hard to find. I suspect the management prefers it that way, but nevertheless the many Telephone Thai loyalists will continue to seek them out. Great stuff.

• 9 years later...

I couldn't seem to find a post for this one, but it's on the planning agenda for 08/30/2018 requesting a set-back variance of 5'. Montrose Garden. NEC Montrose and West Clay.

20 stories. 9 floors of residential above 9 floors of parking. Two floors of retail with one level of underground parking for the retail. 2019 start date listed. Owners: Supo Corporation, 1209 Montrose Blvd.

Sorry if this one is already around here somewhere.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, marstrose said:

What's the source kids. Also, I will be deeply upset if Khun Kay doesn't make the cut for retail :(

Planning commission agenda. Not much in the way of detail. They're asking for 5-ft setbacks on Montrose and Clay, rather than the required 25 and 10-ft setbacks.

24,000 sf retail, 100-150 residential units.

4 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

9 floors of parking for 9 floors of residents?  Does that seem odd to anyone other than me?  Is it a tiny little lot or something?

I live in one of the houses nearby. This concept is a great idea, but it's without a doubt in the wrong place. The lot is way too small for such a large building and it's surrounded on both sides by single-family homes and townhomes. There are a ton of places that would be better suited for this development within a 5 block radius. Is there anyone else who lives nearby who thinks this is a bad idea too?

2 minutes ago, William said:

I live in one of the houses nearby. This concept is a great idea, but it's without a doubt in the wrong place. The lot is way too small for such a large building and it's surrounded on both sides by single-family homes and townhomes. There are a ton of places that would be better suited for this development within a 5 block radius. Is there anyone else who lives nearby who thinks this is a bad idea too?

I live across Montrose, but I don't think it's that out of place. 

Montrose Boulevard is continuing to densify, and there are already several large apartments within a few blocks. Plus the El Tiempo across the cross is going to get redeveloped at any moment. 

The lot at Fairview/Montrose is a bit bigger I think, but it's being redeveloped too. 

Where were you thinking that would be more appropriate?  I'm guessing you think more towards Allen Parkway? 

6 minutes ago, wilcal said:

I live across Montrose, but I don't think it's that out of place. 

Montrose Boulevard is continuing to densify, and there are already several large apartments within a few blocks. Plus the El Tiempo across the cross is going to get redeveloped at any moment. 

The lot at Fairview/Montrose is a bit bigger I think, but it's being redeveloped too. 

Where were you thinking that would be more appropriate?  I'm guessing you think more towards Allen Parkway? 

There's a giant empty lot on the northeast corner of West Dallas and Montrose that would give them ample space to build their project. I could probably name a few other places within a few blocks. My point is that you'd be hard pressed to name a major development in Montrose in the past 10 years that shares a block with a bunch of single-family homes. Take the El Tiempo development for example. They're building an 8 story apartment complex, but it's not being built on top of any of the homes in that areas. All of those homes are across the street.

3 minutes ago, William said:

There's a giant empty lot on the northeast corner of West Dallas and Montrose that would give them ample space to build their project. I could probably name a few other places within a few blocks. My point is that you'd be hard pressed to name a major development in Montrose in the past 10 years that shares a block with a bunch of single-family homes. Take the El Tiempo development for example. They're building an 8 story apartment complex, but it's not being built on top of any of the homes in that areas. All of those homes are across the street.

"Northeast corner of West Dallas and Montrose that would give them ample space to build their project."

Pretty sure that one is also under development.

"My point is that you'd be hard pressed to name a major development in Montrose in the past 10 years that shares a block with a bunch of single-family homes."

Isn't the place across the street from you like that?

https://i.imgur.com/UNL72sc.png

• Like 1