Art Car Museum At 140 Heights Blvd.

terrbo

I'm sure y'all've already heard.. This is one of the nicest and coolest guys I've ever known. This is sickening. I've know Tom for quite awhile.. his sister is a friend of mine.. married to the sound guy and a vocalist at Radio Music Theatre where I work weekends. He's been around the art car scene longer than I have.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/16238435/detail.html

<H1 class=Headline>Driver Charged In Art Car Museum Curator's Death</H1>

HOUSTON -- A driver has been charged in the death of the curator of Houston's Art Car Museum, who was killed hours after the 21st-annual Art Car Parade, KPRC Local 2 reported.

<LI>Slideshow: Remembering Art Car Museum Curator Tom Jones

http://www.click2houston.com/sh/images/ibs_icon/video.gifArt Car Parade Rolls Through Houston:

Rachel McNeill Reports

Houston police said Tom Jones was pinned under a car as he sat on a curb on Heights Boulevard near Center Street at about 2:20 a.m. Sunday.

Investigators said Dustin Allen Poe, 23, drove his Pontiac GT over nearby railroad tracks and hit a car parked next to where Jones and an artist were sitting.

"We had to lift the vehicle up off of him in order to get him out from underneath it," said District Chief Tom Wheeler of the Houston Fire Department.

Jones, 51, was taken to Ben Taub Hospital, where he died. The artist who was sitting next to him was not seriously injured.

Poe was arrested and charged with intoxication manslaughter.

"He was flying down the road like everybody else was," sculptor W.T. Burge said. "It's a shame that he was drunk when he was driving. He shouldn't have been."

Jones was at the museum helping wrap up a second, less publicized parade through the Heights that was held after the main parade near downtown Houston on Saturday.

The director of the Art Car Museum said Jones' work and passion are visible throughout the museum.

"He basically hung the show, painted the walls, greeted everyone who came through the front door with a smile and good humor and made everyone feel at home," Noah Edmunson said. "I don't know how we're going to replace him."

Museum staff said Jones was a fixture in the art car community for 25 years.

"Tom was the heart of the Art Car Museum," said Nicole Strine of the Houston Art Car Klub. "Tom made everyone feel special."

Friends set up a makeshift memorial in the spot where Jones was run over.

Funeral arrangements have not been finalized, but will likely include a procession of art cars.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Art Car Museum
  • The title was changed to Art Car Museum At 140 Heights Blvd.
  • 7 months later...

Leaders of the Art Car Museum announced their intention to close after nearly thirty years in its Houston Heights location, according to a statement on its website. The announcement comes not long after both the museum’s founders, Ann O’Connor Williams Harithas and her husband James Harithas, passed away in 2021 and 2023. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/article/houston-heights-art-car-museum-set-close-26-years-18701591.php

• Sad 3

The Art Car Museum, a private institution dedicated to contemporary art, has announced that it will permanently close in late April 2024. 

Established in 1998 by Ann and James Harithas, the museum has been an important part of the Houston art scene for more than 25 years. The museum was born out of a 1984 exhibition, Collision, curated by Mrs. Harithas at the Lawndale Art Center. The exhibition also launched the annual Art Car Parade, making Houston a significant part of the international art car movement. 

The Art Car Museum website notes that “Discussions are in progress with local and regional arts organizations to continue and evolve the Art Car Museum’s presence, legacy, and mission in the future.” Details of these conversations and the plans that emerge will be shared as they are available. 

Currently, the museum will be open to the public through Sunday, April 28, 2024. Learn more about the museum via its website. 

https://glasstire.com/2024/03/06/houstons-art-car-museum-to-permanently-close/