Anything You Want

gwilson

There's a gigantic Smithsonian-restored Saturn V moon rocket at NASA. It was destined for the moon, until the Apollo program was cancelled. Can't see that in Chicago, NYC, CO, etc.

Very true.

But, after you see it, what then? Unless they promise to blast it off every time Aunt Marge visits, it might as well be a silo with bad posture. It just sits there.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used to listen to KTSU when they had Reggae night...10-2 if I remember correctly, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I think. I don't know, it is all a bit hazy.

Do they still have it? Not sure it matters. A lot of current reggae sx anyway. Too much rap in it.

I used to listen to a lot of streaming radio but since so many stations are moving to Microsoft format, it is hard to listen in iTunes or another MP3 player.

That sux.

Bought new cars, yay!

After shopping for months, finally made some decisions. I have a very thorough buying process though. I do bailments for at least two to three days on every car I consider so that I can get a better idea of how it functions. Car salesmen hate me (except the ones I buy from, because they get taken care of), finance managers hate me (because I don't let them bully me and I make them divulge every bit of information and I haggle with them and set my own terms) but it works out well for me.

If you are in the market for a car, a few points of advice.

1. Never buy the same day.

2. Never buy on a 10 minute test drive.

3. ALWAYS ask them to do a bailment for you to drive it for a day or two so you can really get a feel for the car. If they say "sure" but ask for a credit app to be filled, say no. You won't fill a credit app til you've decided if you're going to buy the car. If they persist, say good day and move on. Another dealership WILL let you.

4. When you've made a decision, make them do all the work. Don't sit around the dealership while they putz around and waste 5 hours. Have them email or fax you a credit app (unless you've secured your own financing), fill it out and fax it back. Tell them to submit ONLY to their primary lender (GMAC for GM products, Nissan Motors Acceptance Corp for Nissan, etc) and not to shot gun you to 30 banks (which they will do if you don't tell them not to). Tell them that for them to submit you to anyone but their primary lender, they must secure permission from you first. This is to keep you from getting 7,284,974.2873 pulls of your credit. The "system" is supposed to be smart and "know" you're shopping for the best deal, but the people involved are going to use it as an excuse to give you a higher rate, require money down, or give you grief in general.

5. If you are leasing, ALWAYS REQUIRE A $0 DRIVE OUT. Do NOT do any cap cost reduction and always make them make the first payment and fees. They will say they can't, and that the law requires you to pay the fees and first payment at signing, but don't listen to them. Some dealerships will make the first payment for you, others will roll it in, either, in reality, is fine. Make sure you make them agree to this PRIOR to securing lending approval.

6. If they come back to you asking for money down or saying they can't honor a rebate or something, tell them it is the deal you agreed on, or you walk. The total monthly payment is always going to fluctuate a bit (25-35$) from what they quoted you to what the finance company comes back with. You can argue this if you want to, I do. But you should also pick your battles.

7. If your credit isn't great, (the FICO system sucks, and there are tons of problems with it), make sure you've got explanations for everything, and submit those explanations in writing to the bureaus before going car shopping. Also, know your credit before you go in. I pull mine from True Credit at least every month, so I know what is on it, what my FICO score is at all times. I had one of the dealerships tell me that my score was 100 pts lower than it really was to try to shaft me on a rate by using a bank that pays them more for loans. So it is VERY important to know this info.

8. After funding is secured, make them have all the paperwork ready so that all you need to do is go over it, say no to all the extra crap (remember, Gap Insurance is included in all leases, but you should make sure, and if you are financing, make sure to add gap insurance -- you might want to consider the windshield replacement warranty, but make sure it is COMPLETE with no deductible) and sign. Remember to check the #s. They might have said they are selling you the car for $50,000 but it shows up as $55,000 on the contract. Also, look out for other crap like "Phantom charge" or other things which don't make sense. Also, verify the interest rate/money rate for financing/leases respectively, as well as the residual for the lease. Do the math yourself, it isn't hard, and make sure the #s add up. If you do this, you should be at the dealership for a whole total of an hour, combined. On the Audi I just bought, we called ahead, found a car we liked. Showed up, it was ready for us to take out on bailment, drove it for a few days, faxed them the credit app/docs (some might request proof of income, etc), and I was in the office for a whole total of 22 minutes closing the deal. My time dealing with the dealership and the finance company...30 minutes. It took longer to figure out how to work the radio.

9. MAKE THEM THROW STUFF IN FOR FREE! Want window tint? Tell them you want it and you don't want to pay for it. Want the DVD player for the back seat, or a set of running boards, or a grill? Pick something, and make them throw it in. I've always had them tint my windows for free (I like it dark, so they make me sign a waiver). On my last Cadillac, I made them throw in the DVD player, the tint and the brush guard. Most of the time I'm happy with the tint, or perhaps a gadget (like a bluetooth adapter). Get them to commit to this before you sign on the dotted though.

10. Possibly one of the most important things is work with a salesman who has been there for a long time. This is the guy who is good at his job and his customers love him. It is good to have him on your side because if you need anything, he will handle it for you.

There is a lot more I could say, but those are the broad strokes. I should write a book. "Why car salesmen hate me, and why that is good for you!". Great title, no?

The 12 cylinder gas guzzler is gone, yay! Now I just have two 8 cylinder gas guzzlers (the new cars) and a 6 cylinder gas drinker (I manage to only get 17mph in my Toyota, lol).

Bought new cars, yay!

After shopping for months, finally made some decisions. I have a very thorough buying process though. I do bailments for at least two to three days on every car I consider so that I can get a better idea of how it functions. Car salesmen hate me (except the ones I buy from, because they get taken care of), finance managers hate me (because I don't let them bully me and I make them divulge every bit of information and I haggle with them and set my own terms) but it works out well for me.

If you are in the market for a car, a few points of advice.

1. Never buy the same day.

2. Never buy on a 10 minute test drive.

3. ALWAYS ask them to do a bailment for you to drive it for a day or two so you can really get a feel for the car. If they say "sure" but ask for a credit app to be filled, say no. You won't fill a credit app til you've decided if you're going to buy the car. If they persist, say good day and move on. Another dealership WILL let you.

4. When you've made a decision, make them do all the work. Don't sit around the dealership while they putz around and waste 5 hours. Have them email or fax you a credit app (unless you've secured your own financing), fill it out and fax it back. Tell them to submit ONLY to their primary lender (GMAC for GM products, Nissan Motors Acceptance Corp for Nissan, etc) and not to shot gun you to 30 banks (which they will do if you don't tell them not to). Tell them that for them to submit you to anyone but their primary lender, they must secure permission from you first. This is to keep you from getting 7,284,974.2873 pulls of your credit. The "system" is supposed to be smart and "know" you're shopping for the best deal, but the people involved are going to use it as an excuse to give you a higher rate, require money down, or give you grief in general.

5. If you are leasing, ALWAYS REQUIRE A $0 DRIVE OUT. Do NOT do any cap cost reduction and always make them make the first payment and fees. They will say they can't, and that the law requires you to pay the fees and first payment at signing, but don't listen to them. Some dealerships will make the first payment for you, others will roll it in, either, in reality, is fine. Make sure you make them agree to this PRIOR to securing lending approval.

6. If they come back to you asking for money down or saying they can't honor a rebate or something, tell them it is the deal you agreed on, or you walk. The total monthly payment is always going to fluctuate a bit (25-35$) from what they quoted you to what the finance company comes back with. You can argue this if you want to, I do. But you should also pick your battles.

7. If your credit isn't great, (the FICO system sucks, and there are tons of problems with it), make sure you've got explanations for everything, and submit those explanations in writing to the bureaus before going car shopping. Also, know your credit before you go in. I pull mine from True Credit at least every month, so I know what is on it, what my FICO score is at all times. I had one of the dealerships tell me that my score was 100 pts lower than it really was to try to shaft me on a rate by using a bank that pays them more for loans. So it is VERY important to know this info.

8. After funding is secured, make them have all the paperwork ready so that all you need to do is go over it, say no to all the extra crap (remember, Gap Insurance is included in all leases, but you should make sure, and if you are financing, make sure to add gap insurance -- you might want to consider the windshield replacement warranty, but make sure it is COMPLETE with no deductible) and sign. Remember to check the #s. They might have said they are selling you the car for $50,000 but it shows up as $55,000 on the contract. Also, look out for other crap like "Phantom charge" or other things which don't make sense. Also, verify the interest rate/money rate for financing/leases respectively, as well as the residual for the lease. Do the math yourself, it isn't hard, and make sure the #s add up. If you do this, you should be at the dealership for a whole total of an hour, combined. On the Audi I just bought, we called ahead, found a car we liked. Showed up, it was ready for us to take out on bailment, drove it for a few days, faxed them the credit app/docs (some might request proof of income, etc), and I was in the office for a whole total of 22 minutes closing the deal. My time dealing with the dealership and the finance company...30 minutes. It took longer to figure out how to work the radio.

9. MAKE THEM THROW STUFF IN FOR FREE! Want window tint? Tell them you want it and you don't want to pay for it. Want the DVD player for the back seat, or a set of running boards, or a grill? Pick something, and make them throw it in. I've always had them tint my windows for free (I like it dark, so they make me sign a waiver). On my last Cadillac, I made them throw in the DVD player, the tint and the brush guard. Most of the time I'm happy with the tint, or perhaps a gadget (like a bluetooth adapter). Get them to commit to this before you sign on the dotted though.

10. Possibly one of the most important things is work with a salesman who has been there for a long time. This is the guy who is good at his job and his customers love him. It is good to have him on your side because if you need anything, he will handle it for you.

There is a lot more I could say, but those are the broad strokes. I should write a book. "Why car salesmen hate me, and why that is good for you!". Great title, no?

The 12 cylinder gas guzzler is gone, yay! Now I just have two 8 cylinder gas guzzlers (the new cars) and a 6 cylinder gas drinker (I manage to only get 17mph in my Toyota, lol).

Wow, I should consider myself lucky. I've really never had any of the problems you've described, at least not in the last 20 years. I had a salesman in Dallas hold my keys back in 1987 once. I told him to give them back and he said the manager had them. I told him I was calling the cops, a statement he doubted until I picked up his phone to dial. Never had an ounce of trouble out of anyone else. My last vehicle, the Toyota, took about an hour to buy and I got a 4% interest rate. Maybe because I have already looked up numbers on the internet before I go in, saves me trouble.

Geez gwilson, there are so many FLAWS in your post about car buying, I don't know WHERE to start. I will start with number 3). If you are looking at Cadillac and Nissan, which I have worked at BOTH. There is no way in HELL, that you are gonna leave their lot with $30 to $40k of product for 2 to 3 days WITHOUT a credit app. I don't give a crap if you are the President. I am gonna know for sure that you have the credit to obtain such a vehicle. So I am gonna have to call B.S. on that one. If you left because you didn't want to fill out a credit app. I would assume that you are a "FLAKE" anyways and not worth my time or headache even if you can buy.

Number 4). No dealership will shoot you to even 5 banks if you have GOOD credit, which I will assume you have (that would be over a 700 beacon). These are professionals who can merely LOOK at your credit and tell which 3 banks are gonna give you the best deal. Oh BTW gwilson, FYI, EVERY dealership sends EACH deal to their PRIMARY lender first when selling a NEW car. It is POLICY between dealerships and the car manf. they represent. Unless you are a "BOGUE" or a "ROACH" (bad credit customers) buying a used car, then second chance lenders get involved and these people may have to be sent to 10 different lenders to see if ANYBODY is stupid enough to take the business.

Number 5). I would pay the first payment for EVERY lease, especially if you are gonna let me "roll it in". Done deal my friend, I like your thinking. Any dealership should be willing to do this on a lease. There are no rebates involved and the lease is very specific on how it is to be structured. Beauty part is that if you qualify for a lease, everyone gets the SAME interest rate. You can't negotiate that in finance.

Number 7). There are 3 credit scores that dealerships go by. Each PRIMARY lending institution has a specific credit bureau (i.e. Trans Union, Experian, Equifax) that they choose to use, and ONLY use that one. It IS possible that your Trans Union could be 100 points higher than your Equifax. It all depends on which companies reported to which bureaus. So Nissan Acceptance only uses Trans Union, Ford uses Trans Union and Equifax sometimes, especially if the Finance Guru at the dealership sees that you are 100 points better on Equifax.

Dealerships don't mind having to "throw in" window tint. It cost the dealership about $100 to do it just to keep "know-it-all" internet buyers like you, thinking that they got something for nothing. A DVD is a little more out of pocket, but when they just knocked your head off on an Escalade for a $5000 "POP"(gross profit), then the $800 for the DVD ain't so bad. You wouldn't get it if they weren"t making any money to cover the cost my friend.

I've bought only two new vehicles in my life... and hopefully will never again do so (you lose too much money on new cars). I sold my last "new car," took the cash, bought a house instead (down payment money). I'm old enough now that I don't give a damn what people think of my car...

Anyway... in my experience, I always love the dealer response to your initial offer... Typically: "We can't do that! We'll lose money on the deal!"

My response: "Listen. I can *absolutely* guarantee that if we get to a price, that I can afford... and you're willing to sell the car to me... you're gonna make a profit. So don't worry your pretty little head about that..." I usually go through about 4 dealers before I finally get to one that will sell at the price I want. It usually takes about 30 minutes (in and out) at each one, until I get it.

Wow, I should consider myself lucky. I've really never had any of the problems you've described, at least not in the last 20 years. I had a salesman in Dallas hold my keys back in 1987 once. I told him to give them back and he said the manager had them. I told him I was calling the cops, a statement he doubted until I picked up his phone to dial. Never had an ounce of trouble out of anyone else. My last vehicle, the Toyota, took about an hour to buy and I got a 4% interest rate. Maybe because I have already looked up numbers on the internet before I go in, saves me trouble.

What happened? Why would they do this?

Geez gwilson, there are so many FLAWS in your post about car buying, I don't know WHERE to start. I will start with number 3). If you are looking at Cadillac and Nissan, which I have worked at BOTH. There is no way in HELL, that you are gonna leave their lot with $30 to $40k of product for 2 to 3 days WITHOUT a credit app. I don't give a crap if you are the President. I am gonna know for sure that you have the credit to obtain such a vehicle. So I am gonna have to call B.S. on that one. If you left because you didn't want to fill out a credit app. I would assume that you are a "FLAKE" anyways and not worth my time or headache even if you can buy.

Number 4). No dealership will shoot you to even 5 banks if you have GOOD credit, which I will assume you have (that would be over a 700 beacon). These are professionals who can merely LOOK at your credit and tell which 3 banks are gonna give you the best deal. Oh BTW gwilson, FYI, EVERY dealership sends EACH deal to their PRIMARY lender first when selling a NEW car. It is POLICY between dealerships and the car manf. they represent. Unless you are a "BOGUE" or a "ROACH" (bad credit customers) buying a used car, then second chance lenders get involved and these people may have to be sent to 10 different lenders to see if ANYBODY is stupid enough to take the business.

Number 5). I would pay the first payment for EVERY lease, especially if you are gonna let me "roll it in". Done deal my friend, I like your thinking. Any dealership should be willing to do this on a lease. There are no rebates involved and the lease is very specific on how it is to be structured. Beauty part is that if you qualify for a lease, everyone gets the SAME interest rate. You can't negotiate that in finance.

Number 7). There are 3 credit scores that dealerships go by. Each PRIMARY lending institution has a specific credit bureau (i.e. Trans Union, Experian, Equifax) that they choose to use, and ONLY use that one. It IS possible that your Trans Union could be 100 points higher than your Equifax. It all depends on which companies reported to which bureaus. So Nissan Acceptance only uses Trans Union, Ford uses Trans Union and Equifax sometimes, especially if the Finance Guru at the dealership sees that you are 100 points better on Equifax.

Dealerships don't mind having to "throw in" window tint. It cost the dealership about $100 to do it just to keep "know-it-all" internet buyers like you, thinking that they got something for nothing. A DVD is a little more out of pocket, but when they just knocked your head off on an Escalade for a $5000 "POP"(gross profit), then the $800 for the DVD ain't so bad. You wouldn't get it if they weren"t making any money to cover the cost my friend.

Call BS all you want, but in the past three weeks I've had 10+ cars, the cheapest of which was 40k. This includes the Audi A8L, the QX56, an Escalade EXT, a Mercedes CLS 550, a an M45, Lexus LS460, Toyota Sequoia Platinum, Nissan Armada, Chevy Avalanche LTZ, Lincoln Navigator, Porsche Cayenne S, the cheapest of all of them was a Saturn Outlook. I fill out credit apps for none of them prior to doing bailments.

Dealerships *WILL* shotgun you to multiple banks. This is fact. Depends on the dealership, but most will. Yes, they will go to their primary lender first. But there are a zillion things that will cause the primary to kick back (not deny, but ask questions). When this happens, they will shotgun you.

I am fully aware of how the credit reporting system works and what the three bureaus are.

Cadillac makes a little more than 5k a pop. I know this. This is why I say always make them throw in something free. It doesn't cost them a dime. Some salesmen will just say yes, others will buck a little. Push at all, and you'll likely get it.

The points outlined in my post work great for me and anyone else who has used them. I think 2.5% on a $90,000 car with $0 dollar drive out after having the car for a few days before even filling out a credit app and less than an hour combined dealing with it is a pretty good showing of just how well it works.

I've bought only two new vehicles in my life... and hopefully will never again do so (you lose too much money on new cars). I sold my last "new car," took the cash, bought a house instead (down payment money). I'm old enough now that I don't give a damn what people think of my car...

Anyway... in my experience, I always love the dealer response to your initial offer... Typically: "We can't do that! We'll lose money on the deal!"

My response: "Listen. I can *absolutely* guarantee that if we get to a price, that I can afford... and you're willing to sell the car to me... you're gonna make a profit. So don't worry your pretty little head about that..." I usually go through about 4 dealers before I finally get to one that will sell at the price I want. It usually takes about 30 minutes (in and out) at each one, until I get it.

This is why I lease.

The points outlined in my post work great for me and anyone else who has used them. I think 2.5% on a $90,000 car with $0 dollar drive out after having the car for a few days before even filling out a credit app and less than an hour combined dealing with it is a pretty good showing of just how well it works.

If you think you got a good deal, then that is EXACTLY what you got. Although, I challenge you to scan that M.S.R.P sticker and show me where it says $90,000 for a Cadillac EXT. I doubt it even says $66000. So, if you paid $90,000 I would say someone made about $35000 gross profit off of you. 'Scuse me a minute while I go put my boots on. :rolleyes:

Just for those at home. $5000 on $90000 is 5.5%

If you think you got a good deal, then that is EXACTLY what you got. Although, I challenge you to scan that M.S.R.P sticker and show me where it says $90,000 for a Cadillac EXT. I doubt it even says $66000. So, if you paid $90,000 I would say someone made about $35000 gross profit off of you. 'Scuse me a minute while I go put my boots on. :rolleyes:

Just for those at home. $5000 on $90000 is 5.5%

$90,000 was for an Audi A8L. To be specific, it was $86,000 for a $98,000 MSRP vehicle at 2.5%, $0 drive out, free tint, with them paying the first payment and fees, and managing to wrangle the windshield warranty and phantom etching for free as well.

What happened? Why would they do this?

The redesigned Toyota Supra had just come out, and I went in to test drive it. I told the salesman I was not buying, but he suggested getting a trade-in quote on my Celica anyway while we test drove the Supra. Said it wouldn't take any extra time. So I gave them my keys to get a quote. Of course, when we got back he tried to put the hard sell on me. I told him I was not interested and to give me my keys. He kept coming up with excuses why he did not have them, so that he could continue his lame attempts to sell me a car. Finally, I asked if I could use his phone. He asked why and I told him I was calling the police to report that my car was stolen. He suddenly found my keys in his pocket. Never ended up buying a Supra.

BTW, for $86K, you shoulda got something that doesn't look like a Lexus.

The redesigned Toyota Supra had just come out, and I went in to test drive it. I told the salesman I was not buying, but he suggested getting a trade-in quote on my Celica anyway while we test drove the Supra. Said it wouldn't take any extra time. So I gave them my keys to get a quote. Of course, when we got back he tried to put the hard sell on me. I told him I was not interested and to give me my keys. He kept coming up with excuses why he did not have them, so that he could continue his lame attempts to sell me a car. Finally, I asked if I could use his phone. He asked why and I told him I was calling the police to report that my car was stolen. He suddenly found my keys in his pocket. Never ended up buying a Supra.

Good for you!

Have any of you all seen that billboard on the Gulf Freeway promoting seat belt safety? It shows a picture of a revolver sitting on a really gross blood splattered surface. Something like "not buckling up is like playing Russian roulette.."

I mean, is the over the top gross spatter scenario really necessary on the billboard? That is just not right.

And what about 45 north, the inflatable giant felon in the orange jump suit & appropriate five o'clock shadow, poised on top of the bail bondsman place. Where do you get something like that? Do you have to custom order I guess? "Yes, you do inflatable characters? Could I order an unshaven rough neck in a prison orange suit, like 18' high?....."

One other inquiry for the day. After selling a unit at the Reatta at River Oaks, who the h*ll designed the pool, and what were they thinking. I had heard the people in the high-rise next door made fun of the Reatta's pool, but it wasn't until I saw a site plan that I figured out why. It's just.....not right.

Reatta site plan

Have any of you all seen that billboard on the Gulf Freeway promoting seat belt safety? It shows a picture of a revolver sitting on a really gross blood splattered surface. Something like "not buckling up is like playing Russian roulette.."

I mean, is the over the top gross spatter scenario really necessary on the billboard? That is just not right.

And what about 45 north, the inflatable giant felon in the orange jump suit & appropriate five o'clock shadow, poised on top of the bail bondsman place. Where do you get something like that? Do you have to custom order I guess? "Yes, you do inflatable characters? Could I order an unshaven rough neck in a prison orange suit, like 18' high?....."

One other inquiry for the day. After selling a unit at the Reatta at River Oaks, who the h*ll designed the pool, and what were they thinking. I had heard the people in the high-rise next door made fun of the Reatta's pool, but it wasn't until I saw a site plan that I figured out why. It's just.....not right.

Reatta site plan

Maybe some pool designer has a slightly warped sense of humor...surely they knew...ya think? Looks like it belonged in that Southwest apartment complex in the 1970's. :lol:

Reatta site plan

That pool has a nice ummmm, "key" shape to it. Yeah, that's the ticket, "key" shape. :huh:

Reatta site plan

Funny you mention it--we have wondered aloud, a few times, at both the bloody billboard and the county-orange inflatable. The billboard really is odd.

They don't really look anything alike. The Audi also handles a hell of a lot better and is far nicer on the inside.

I wonder if there is a water fountain near the western edge of the pool.

:lol::lol::lol:

I so wanted to ask that question, but did not want to appear, uh, overly interested in the topic.

That and what the hell is that that the pool is "pointing" at further to the west? That can be all different levels of wrong, let's not forget the coloring.

Those supposed free animated "Smiley" banners. Is anyone really that stupid to install that spyware infested crap on your PC? They seem to be all over HAIF today!

2gt4sck.jpg

I think animated "Smileys's" are obnoxious and completely useless.

5sdo5.jpg

Sorry Wayne, I know you rely on "unique user clicks" for ad revenue, but I am not touching those.

Old school : ) or :) works for me.

Those supposed free animated "Smiley" banners. Is anyone really that stupid to install that spyware infested crap on your PC? They seem to be all over HAIF today!

2gt4sck.jpg

I think animated "Smileys's" are obnoxious and completely useless.

5sdo5.jpg

Sorry Wayne, I know you rely on "unique user clicks" for ad revenue, but I am not touching those.

Old school : ) or :) works for me.

I was lookin' at those, I just click occasionally. I won't download those either. I like some of the alternative icons you can use in MSIM, but I can't show you any graphics of those. :)

I was lookin' at those, I just click occasionally. I won't download those either. I like some of the alternative icons you can use in MSIM, but I can't show you any graphics of those. :)

Those "Smiley" ads critters are freaking hopped on sugar or something. Those lil' bastards are so hyper I tell ya. I just want them to stop moving around. Give me a Viagra ad any day over this crap.

Man, HAIF advertisors are coming out with some "good" banners today.:lol:

Check this screen shot of an ad of a woman's profile dancing with her hair flailing madly around. It advertises completing a Bacherlor's or Master's degree in 24 months. :huh:

21njfkh.jpg

I am all for education, but what are you getting a Master's in, "gyrating sensually". At least we know that you won't be getting an entry level position at the seedy strip club you will use your degree in. Nice touch with the boob profile too.

Something tells me there is some generic templete for companies to use and just feature any random ad. I think this one needed to be reviewed one more time. The guy who approved this ad for a college system should get a raise. . . because it "makes sense" and is related to education. :rolleyes:

Okay, in relaying this I have to first admit I occasionally eat at Kelly's. I was picking up carry-out, (it was a salad so it wasn't that bad, except for the 43 pieces of fried chicken on top of it, but I digress), anyway, they are having a meeting of the Houston Society of Accordian Players there while I am picking up my order

You know, those squeezebox things with the keyboard?

So here is a whole circle of several of these people cranking away on these things. They were playing "When the Saints go marching in."

Yeah, that just made it all the better.

I mean, who decides that is the instrument they want to learn to play? Not the guitar, or piano, or even the drums. The friggin' accordian? Who would think there would be enough around to constitute a society. Gotta love 'em for that.

So for future reference, if you want dinner and a floor show, you just have to hit Kelly's on the right night.

Okay, in relaying this I have to first admit I occasionally eat at Kelly's. I was picking up carry-out, (it was a salad so it wasn't that bad, except for the 43 pieces of fried chicken on top of it, but I digress), anyway, they are having a meeting of the Houston Society of Accordian Players there while I am picking up my order You know, those squeezebox things with the keyboard? So here is a whole circle of several of these people cranking away on these things. They were playing "When the Saints go marching in." Yeah, that just made it all the better. I mean, who decides that is the instrument they want to learn to play? Not the guitar, or piano, or even the drums. The friggin' accordian? Who would think there would be enough around to constitute a society. Gotta love 'em for that. So for future reference, if you want dinner and a floor show, you just have to hit Kelly's on the right night.

accordian nerds. feh.

I like this little blurb from the Midtown Newsletter...

Safety Tips of the Week

Here are some tips for those of you that traverse the communities of Houston. No matter where you are in the metropolitan area always keep these tips in mind. Valet parking is like voting, use it early and often. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. DO NOT ever leave anything in your vehicle for any length of time in any community in the Houston area. It won't be there when you get back.

Maybe the Visitors Convention could use that?

Archived