East End Wishlist

Wish List  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the East End in the most need of?

• Boutique Shop(s) - Coffee, Clothes, Food
    • Grocery Store
    • Multi-Use High Rise(s)
    • More Townhome(s)
    • Restaurant(s)
    • Starbucks / Cafes
    • Park / Green Space
    • Warehouse Conversion(s)
    • Car Wash
    • Farmers Market
    • Sidewalks
    • Liquor Stores
    • Bar(s) - Wine, Sports, Lounge
    • Places to enjoy Skyline - Establishments with Rooftop Decks
    • Gas Station(s)
    • Lightrail
    • Pharmacy
    • Other

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

don't know which part of the east end you are talking about, but in the near east end/ warehouse area - sidewalks would help tremendously - due to the warehouses that were there, its non continuous to even be able to walk doen the street. only when there is development is there do sidewalks get put in. i really don't mind the walk to the toyota center from where i live (like 20 mins tops), but its irritating with little lighting and having to walk on the street for sections of it

the density is slowly coming as communities start to be built, but yes, there is a serious lack of local conveniences. don't need a signature kroger, but a nice medium sized grocery store that is NOT the kroger on polk would be nice. also, a few more restaurants in the area like District 7 would be great, but they also need people to go - i think the reason more don't come is they look at D7 and say, well they are the only option and even they can't support staying open for dinner. i agree the location of D7 kind of hurts in terms of its not the most walkable block to get to, but more little restaurants like that would be great.

More townhomes and light rail will take care of most of the rest of the list, eventually.

I think the City should step in a buy some parkland and invest in streetscaping, including nice sidewalks as hokieone mentioned. The place has too much concrete and still resembles a war zone of sorts. The soccer stadium is bound to add a lot of retail too.

More townhomes and light rail will take care of most of the rest of the list, eventually.

I think the City should step in a buy some parkland and invest in streetscaping, including nice sidewalks as hokieone mentioned. The place has too much concrete and still resembles a war zone of sorts. The soccer stadium is bound to add a lot of retail too.

Allthough not a soccer fan. I would love if they put some real imagination in the design of the stadium. Nothing of the grandeur of these stadiums pictured would be neccessary, but something that is a destination site as well as a soccer venue would be great.

pyongyang_may_day2.jpgmunchen_olympiastadion2.jpg

sydney_telstra1.jpgmunchen_allianz3.jpg

bari_san_nicola4.jpgjohannesburg_soccercity.jpg

beijing_olympic1.jpgoslo_fornebu1.jpg

Allthough not a soccer fan. I would love if they put some real imagination in the design of the stadium. Nothing of the grandeur of these stadiums pictured would be neccessary, but something that is a destination site as well as a soccer venue would be great.

I agree that a stadium should inspire not only the players and fans, but the entire city with its architecture. There's a shot too that, if built in the old Chinatown nabe, that the area could be sparked and revived, hopefully retaining some Chinese flavor and not become just another bland assemblage of corporate retail.

I wonder if the TIRZ over there (is it even active?) is trying to reattract Asian businesses. A revived Chinatown, near Downtown, would be a fantastic destination.

A good grocery store would do wonders. It certainly wouldn't have any competition!

AMEN!!!

And how about a clean, reliable dry cleaners? A shoe repair shop?

A Super WalMart should do very well. And A Kohl's or JC Penney's in Gulfgate would be much appreciated. My East End neighbors who have lived here for years tell me they absolutely hate to drive miles for decent shopping.

It's as though nobody connected with retail development gives a damn about this part of town! In fact, many don't even know it exists.

Guess what...we East Enders have money to spend (although some of it may have come from under the table)!

I agree that a stadium should inspire not only the players and fans, but the entire city with its architecture. There's a shot too that, if built in the old Chinatown nabe, that the area could be sparked and revived, hopefully retaining some Chinese flavor and not become just another bland assemblage of corporate retail.

I wonder if the TIRZ over there (is it even active?) is trying to reattract Asian businesses. A revived Chinatown, near Downtown, would be a fantastic destination.

I would love to see something modern and inspiring for the stadium. It seems it may be a little late in the day however to try to create, or revive, a new Chinatown east of downtown. How would you convince people of Chinese descent to move there? Somehow I'm not sure just adding Chinese architectural details would be very convincing.

I wish they would refurbish the old houses and buildings that are already there. I wish the East End looked like it did in the 50's with clean streets, no potholes, well kept homes and nice yards. I couldn't have asked for a better neighborhood to grow up in.

I wish they would refurbish the old houses and buildings that are already there. I wish the East End looked like it did in the 50's with clean streets, no potholes, well kept homes and nice yards. I couldn't have asked for a better neighborhood to grow up in.

I agree of course wholeheartedly Susan, but you would be surprised how many others say we are living in the past.

This area simply needs more professionals moving in and it wouldn't hurt to have a council member or 2 living here as well. That is of some salvation.

We need all of the above except the liquor stores. Need more activities for children and teens ie; olympic sized swimming pools and an olympic sized ice skating rink. This area has so much potential and its the kids that need to be groomed to become athletes. We may have our own Nancy Kerrigan's right here but they wont get there without the right facilities and availabilty to these type of venues. This is why places like The Woodlands succeed they have the backing of the officials and homeowners not renters. We have to have people that care not just passing through. Whew! Its too early, but we get the point. Seriously, though if I won the lottery, and got mega-rich I would build a huge skating rink with professional trainers to get these young ladies ready for the olympics. :):):)

I agree of course wholeheartedly Susan, but you would be surprised how many others say we are living in the past.

This area simply needs more professionals moving in and it wouldn't hurt to have a council member or 2 living here as well. That is of some salvation.

We need all of the above except the liquor stores. Need more activities for children and teens ie; olympic sized swimming pools and an olympic sized ice skating rink. This area has so much potential and its the kids that need to be groomed to become athletes. We may have our own Nancy Kerrigan's right here but they wont get there without the right facilities and availabilty to these type of venues. This is why places like The Woodlands succeed they have the backing of the officials and homeowners not renters. We have to have people that care not just passing through. Whew! Its too early, but we get the point. Seriously, though if I won the lottery, and got mega-rich I would build a huge skating rink with professional trainers to get these young ladies ready for the olympics. :):):)

Very true Vert but the neighborhood in a whole could use a big dose of refurbish. Many people I know won't even drive through the East End because its not well kept and they think because of the way it looks that scary bad people live there. They have no idea how many wonderful people call the eastend home. If it looked better and the streets were better lit more professionals might see what potential that area has. I want nothing but the best for my old neighborhood. Just my opinion of course. :)

Correct again Susan,

Coincidentally enough, just yesterday at lunch with 2 coworkers, we were discussing our areas of town we live in. One lives in Montrose the other in Memorial. When I said I live just near East side of downtown the one from Memorial looked at me and said it must be very dangerous living in East End right?

That is the sentiment for most newcomers to Houston. The assume because they heard its mostly Hispanic it must be troublesome. It's so peculiar having someone say they directly in your face. Shuh. :wacko:

I totally agree with EE Susan & Vertigo @ EE! Wonderful area! Many movers/shakers of the city have roots in the East End. There was Harrisburg [now called East End] long before the city of Houston. I hope the "trash out/build new" does not destroy the history of the area. Wish it could restored as the area near the river in San Antonio [can't think of the name of the area]. Harrisburg was on a road from Galveston Port to settlements in central TX. My grandmother spoke of coming in the Port of Galveston as a child @ 1890. The family went from Galveston thru Harrisburg to Austin Co by ox wagon. She said mud was axel deep to Harrisburg.

I totally agree with EE Susan & Vertigo @ EE! Wonderful area! Many movers/shakers of the city have roots in the East End. There was Harrisburg [now called East End] long before the city of Houston. I hope the "trash out/build new" does not destroy the history of the area. Wish it could restored as the area near the river in San Antonio [can't think of the name of the area]. Harrisburg was on a road from Galveston Port to settlements in central TX. My grandmother spoke of coming in the Port of Galveston as a child @ 1890. The family went from Galveston thru Harrisburg to Austin Co by ox wagon. She said mud was axel deep to Harrisburg.

Wow. I bet your grandma had some wonderful stories. I look at some of the buildings on Harrisburg, Canal, Navagation and Lockwood and wish they could speak. The stories they could tell.

Correct again Susan,

Coincidentally enough, just yesterday at lunch with 2 coworkers, we were discussing our areas of town we live in. One lives in Montrose the other in Memorial. When I said I live just near East side of downtown the one from Memorial looked at me and said it must be very dangerous living in East End right?

That is the sentiment for most newcomers to Houston. The assume because they heard its mostly Hispanic it must be troublesome. It's so peculiar having someone say they directly in your face. Shuh. :wacko:

I know very little about the East End. What territory lines do you guys actually give it? I did drive down Harrisburg from downtown all the way to the Ship Channel (I think), and it seemed okay to me, just a little old and under developed. And is crime really no worry over there? Dispel my misconceptions.

Haha, I noticed that nobody says it needs a liquor store. When I hear liquor store. I think of bums.

I agree, the area has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, I think the chinatown is completely dead, except for maybe a few restaurants. For some reason the Asian community here seems perfectly content with the new Chinatown (aka stripmall town) and nobody has any reason to move back to the East end. That's really unfortunate though, becuase I'd love to see a Chinatown like San Francisco's or Toronto's or even Montreal's (which is very small, but also very high density, walkable, and in the heart of downtown).

I agree that the area needs sidewalks and major landscaping/streetscaping to make it look more hospitable. The first time I walked through there (before I had a car), the neighborhood really freaked me out. I know it's not how it seems but first impressions are really important.

The East End might even have more potential than Midtown to become a real urban district. The East End doesn't have the problem of the Greyhound Bus Station and the heavy traffic out of downtown at rush hour, which seems to favor suburban style establishments like the CVSs and drive through banks that keep popping up.

I know very little about the East End. What territory lines do you guys actually give it? I did drive down Harrisburg from downtown all the way to the Ship Channel (I think), and it seemed okay to me, just a little old and under developed. And is crime really no worry over there? Dispel my misconceptions.

That all depends on whom you talk to. I guess if you you want to call us old time originals to this area, we can tell you exactly what areas are best to settle down in and what to avoid. However another person will comment and state that we are lying, why? We have nothing to gain from lying. Example: When I would visit the SFO Bay Area coworkers there would joke and tell me to book a room in East Palo Alto. I (not knowing) would start to book, then they would laugh and say hell no don't even consider staying in that area! I trust them as they are from the area and for all practical purposes would keep you in a better area. Media normally gives East End a bad rap. A few instances of arrests and people generalize that all of this side of DT is 3rd world. Keep Harrisburg out of your thoughts for one thing. That is NOT clearly representative of the East End.

Come see Idylwood/Eastwood/Broadmoor/Country Club Place, etc. This more of what Near East End is about. Dude, if your talking ship channel then thats a whole other enchilada/story. Remember On The Waterfront? Its a world away from everyone here in Near East End.

I had to laugh the other day when someone said that Lyons Avenue was East End? :wacko: Yet they want to argue about it? (By the way its in Denver Harbor, Near NE Houston). A world away from us too.

Hubby [raised in EE in 50s] says EE bourdaries were [vaguely as "oldtimers" know it] Chenevert to Broadway & Navagation to I-45/Gulf Fwy. The high schools [Austin & Milby] boundaries were "sub boundaries" for the area. Mason Park area was kinda "it's own territoy'.

That all depends on whom you talk to. I guess if you you want to call us old time originals to this area, we can tell you exactly what areas are best to settle down in and what to avoid. However another person will comment and state that we are lying, why? We have nothing to gain from lying. Example: When I would visit the SFO Bay Area coworkers there would joke and tell me to book a room in East Palo Alto. I (not knowing) would start to book, then they would laugh and say hell no don't even consider staying in that area! I trust them as they are from the area and for all practical purposes would keep you in a better area. Media normally gives East End a bad rap. A few instances of arrests and people generalize that all of this side of DT is 3rd world. Keep Harrisburg out of your thoughts for one thing. That is NOT clearly representative of the East End.

Come see Idylwood/Eastwood/Broadmoor/Country Club Place, etc. This more of what Near East End is about. Dude, if your talking ship channel then thats a whole other enchilada/story. Remember On The Waterfront? Its a world away from everyone here in Near East End.

I had to laugh the other day when someone said that Lyons Avenue was East End? :wacko: Yet they want to argue about it? (By the way its in Denver Harbor, Near NE Houston). A world away from us too.

Yeah, I think it was the ship channel, but I'm not sure. It was a few miles. The name of the street ended up changing, but I can't remembe what to.

But I'll remember those other roads next time I'm there, thanks.

Yeah, I think it was the ship channel, but I'm not sure. It was a few miles. The name of the street ended up changing, but I can't remembe what to.But I'll remember those other roads next time I'm there, thanks.

Going east, Harrisburg turns into Broadway when it makes that sharp turn near the Ship Channel.

Keep Harrisburg out of your thoughts for one thing. That is NOT clearly representative of the East End.

I'd have to respectfully disagree. The East End is as much about the good neighborhoods as it is about the bad. And the Buffalo Bayou/Brays Bayou/Ship Channel add massively to its uniqueness and appeal, so far as I'm concerned...but whether you share my opinion or not, they are irrevocably part of the general character of the area and cannot just be set aside.

Someone tried to compare the East End to Midtown a ways back, but I don't think that that's fair on account of that the East End is really just an amalgamation of very different neighborhoods. It'd be better to compare it to whole slices of Houston, taking in Midtown, 4th Ward, Montrose, River Oaks, etc. all at once.

That was a good poll. Very tempted to say grocery store but ultimately had to go with sidewalks--like a number of other posters have already said, sidewalks, streetsacaping etc. A little tlc would go a long way. Just getting vacant lots cleared is a start.

My personal wish list includes a gym. A nice, medium sized 24-hour fitness sort of place. Something along Harrisburg would be ideal as an anchor in a new shoppping center. Or even next to the Best Buy in Gulfgate. I went to check out Fit, since it's by my office, and eww, no. I'm a little past the club scene. Now that I've veered off topic, are there any gyms downtown other than the big Y?

I would say that yes, Idylwood, Broadmoor, Eastwood etc are representative of the East End, and Harrisburg is, equally so. I think of Harrisburg as the main drag, actually. I see great potential for it to be a strong commerical corridor when the rail comes in. There's some progress already. Not a lot, but it's a start.

I know very little about the East End. Dispel my misconceptions.

From your previous posts here, you seem like you're into the the "new" homes/condos. It takes a person with a certain mindset to appreciate vintage areas/homes. I don't think I appreciated it as much, until i moved there.

I can't believe I forgot to include Gym in the list of local conveniences. I had a heck of a time finding one close enough that I would actually go to. I ended up at The Downtown Club on Caroline. It is only a short jog (1/3 mile) from my home. Also since it caters to those who work downtown it is essentially empty at 6 PM. Perfect for a quick. no hassel workout.

Dry cleaners is also a great call. Should be a natural for the area.

eastendneighborhoodmappx7.png

For the sake of comparison, Midtown is geographically about the same size as the middle yellow neighborhood, which is an amalgamation of Eastwood/Broadmoor/Lawndale/Moody/Central City Ind. Park.

The boundaries drawn are my own; some of them may not always be precise block-by-block, but I used railroads, bayous, major thoroughfares, and freeways wherever possible to keep it simple and depict where the general aesthetic of various East End neighborhoods is markedly different.

My wife and I will be moving into the area next month. I'm tempted to say a grocery store, but the HEB in Gulfgate isn't THAT far. I would just like to see some more restaurant choices. Enjoy District 7 at lunch time, but I'm not really sure where else people in the area eat.

For the sake of comparison, Midtown is geographically about the same size as the middle yellow neighborhood, which is an amalgamation of Eastwood/Broadmoor/Lawndale/Moody/Central City Ind. Park.

The boundaries drawn are my own; some of them may not always be precise block-by-block, but I used railroads, bayous, major thoroughfares, and freeways wherever possible to keep it simple and depict where the general aesthetic of various East End neighborhoods is markedly different.

Cool, thanks for that.

Is Kim Son still over there, or did they move that location to downtown? I saw one downtown, but I wasn't sure if the one by 59 was still open.

If so, do you guys think that kim son over there is what was keeping Chinatown together? Or at least the anchor of it?

I can't believe I forgot to include Gym in the list of local conveniences. I had a heck of a time finding one close enough that I would actually go to. I ended up at The Downtown Club on Caroline. It is only a short jog (1/3 mile) from my home. Also since it caters to those who work downtown it is essentially empty at 6 PM. Perfect for a quick. no hassel workout.

Dry cleaners is also a great call. Should be a natural for the area.

A workout gym would be a fantastic start! They could build it right aross the street from the wooded area behind the Villa de Matel Convent on Lawndale with big, wide windows so people could see the woods as they work out (or each other :blush: ). Another great spot would be right on 45 facing the frwy so that passerby's could think Oh! "I can workout before going to work downtown". This would make people consider moving into the area, why not? Again anything near or visible from 45 would help the turn around. Let's do it!

I got my shovel ready for ground breaking ceremony!

Archived