East End Wishlist

Wish List  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the East End in the most need of?

• Boutique Shop(s) - Coffee, Clothes, Food
    • Grocery Store
    • Multi-Use High Rise(s)
    • More Townhome(s)
    • Restaurant(s)
    • Starbucks / Cafes
    • Park / Green Space
    • Warehouse Conversion(s)
    • Car Wash
    • Farmers Market
    • Sidewalks
    • Liquor Stores
    • Bar(s) - Wine, Sports, Lounge
    • Places to enjoy Skyline - Establishments with Rooftop Decks
    • Gas Station(s)
    • Lightrail
    • Pharmacy
    • Other

What we really need is more recreational facilities for the children & senior group.

I say the addition of :

1. A set of Olympic sized Swimming Pool's with top professional instructors like they do for the people out in The Woodlands.

2. A huge multi sectioned Ice Skating Rink. All children need to learn to ice skate, could become tomorrow's champions!

3. Can for get the elderly! A huge 5 star hotel type of retirement facility like the ones we see in the Galleria area.

This area deserves all of these amenities. :)

Reviltilizing Eastwood Park into something like this would be nice....

trusty-park-lg.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reviltilizing Eastwood Park into something like this would be nice....

I agree and just like that gazebo or bandstand wouldbe nice.

The park also once had a huge domed jungle gym sort of like this but it was removed? Probably why the kid appears bummed out. :lol:

There are numerous old pics of what this specific park looked like in 1970 on an Eastwood topic. I had to scan and place and months later found more we had taken that particular day. The park was geared towards children as most parks should now its like its for just basketball or extreme sports. What in the ...

storyimage-image-6573_t500.jpg

• 1 month later...

We bought a Perry patio home in the gated community at Runnels and Jensen over three years ago. I met with the Houston Director of parks as well as the Council Member for the area concerning the little park ajoining our property and they have made a huge difference in the park. It's becoming more and more inviting and they have much more planned improvement for this once forgotten park. Getting involved works!

We sure could use a full service HEB, Kroger... the Randalls on Louisana is a very nice grocery but it's a hike from here. I believe the area could also support more restaurants, bars and small shops of any sort.

I agree with the many who would like more and improved sidewalks. I also think the intersection of Jensen Runnels Navigation would be the perfect place for a drive around with fountain or some point of interest as it seems to be a very important gate way to the east end. The city has made some nice improvements to the railroad underpass on Navigation and a focal point at this busy intersection would extend it!

• 3 weeks later...
We bought a Perry patio home in the gated community at Runnels and Jensen over three years ago. I met with the Houston Director of parks as well as the Council Member for the area concerning the little park ajoining our property and they have made a huge difference in the park. It's becoming more and more inviting and they have much more planned improvement for this once forgotten park. Getting involved works!

We sure could use a full service HEB, Kroger... the Randalls on Louisana is a very nice grocery but it's a hike from here. I believe the area could also support more restaurants, bars and small shops of any sort.

I agree with the many who would like more and improved sidewalks. I also think the intersection of Jensen Runnels Navigation would be the perfect place for a drive around with fountain or some point of interest as it seems to be a very important gate way to the east end. The city has made some nice improvements to the railroad underpass on Navigation and a focal point at this busy intersection would extend it!

Agreed, we've got to start with another decent grocer... they should a) tear down Kombat Kroger and build a nice new signature store (like they're doing with Jack in the Box at Dumble/ Telephone) and B) build at least two more chain grocers-- one to the north of Sampson for the booming area near downtown, and one to the south of Sampson for the rest of us. HEB, or even Wal-Mart's neighborhood market would be GREAT candidates.

The rail line is going to stimulate some things on its own, but we really need some more general hangout places. Cafe Flores and Bohemeos are steps in the right direction, but we've gotta get some of those things in the townhome area!!

• 1 month later...

Now here is the type of business that would make $$$ in this area.

A fabrics store ie; JoAnne or Hancock Fabrics. The Joanne at Almeda Mall is finally moving father south to Bay Area Blvd and the nearest Hancock is in Paserdener. All have moved so far away from the Near East End. There is a JoAnne Fabrics way over on Weslayan if you want to drive out of your way.

There are many, many people that sew for a hobby or for a living. A big fabric store would do fantastic in the Gulfgate area (hint developers/retailers). We know about High Fashion in Midtown but that is very expensive. A JoAnne or Hancock is much more reasonable for the average seamstress, college kid, etc.

Now here is the type of business that would make $$$ in this area.

A fabrics store ie; JoAnne or Hancock Fabrics. The Joanne at Almeda Mall is finally moving father south to Bay Area Blvd and the nearest Hancock is in Paserdener. All have moved so far away from the Near East End. There is a JoAnne Fabrics way over on Weslayan if you want to drive out of your way.

There are many, many people that sew for a hobby or for a living. A big fabric store would do fantastic in the Gulfgate area (hint developers/retailers). We know about High Fashion in Midtown but that is very expensive. A JoAnne or Hancock is much more reasonable for the average seamstress, college kid, etc.

There used to be some fabric warehouse-type stores on the east side of downtown. I can't remember the names, but you could find some really good deals there.

That seemed like a while back 80's? I believe the development booted most if not all of those great inexpensive cloth bargain places.

This one I noted on a separate topic but what the hell, this one is in SoCal but has rare material meant for use in period films, etc.

Some viewers here may benefit so here goes.

www.hyenaproductions.com

drapery%20035.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Start building townhomes beginning at Eastwood Transit Center all the way down 1300 Munger street to Dumble then continue all the way down Dumble to Telephone Road.

Would have fantastic appeal to drivers on 45 especially for the Metro riders that make short stops at the Transit Ctr. They would consider living here instead of those looooong commutes. The taller the better 3-4 story townhomes for single or couple ONLY.

• 1 month later...

My mom in law (garden villas) and I have been bemoaning the lack of a good craft/fabric store for awhile.

I would really love to see a local craft store/yarn store like Sew Crafty or Yarns 2 Ewe in the heights... :-) but I may be dreaming.

Also, a farmers market would be nice.

• 3 months later...

Somewhere up the thread, The Meridian was mentioned. I've got several friends who work at a church/coffeeshop/art gallery at Taft & Welch (Montrose/Midtown) called Ecclesia. It is, for lack of a better description, a "hip/artsy" church.

In late 2007, as a favor (I'm not affiliated with them formally), I ran a statistical analysis on their attendance. 80% of the congregation was under 35, and lived in Montrose or Midtown. They have three services on Sunday -- maybe 200 people showed up to each then; my guess is that's increased since.

The rumor mill tells me that Ecclesia has bought The Meridian and plans to vacate their current space on Taft (I used to live nearby, and parking and noise had become major problems for their neighbors) and move in to The Meridian. My guess is, also, that the Ecclesia management has a pretty clear hypothesis on where "20-something hip people" are migrating in the next 5-10 years or so.

rs

My guess is, also, that the Ecclesia management has a pretty clear hypothesis on where "20-something hip people" are migrating in the next 5-10 years or so.

My connections to the arts scene are reporting similar movements. Artists are early adopters and opinion leaders, the vanguard of young, hip white people. And their numbers are continuing to increase in the East End.

(I just looked in the mirror and -- by God -- I'm a young, hip white guy!) :o

I really, really like the neighborhood the way it is (I would like to see the schools do a better job but maybe that's not just here) -- but I think the imminent Light Rail will be good for everybody Eastward, regardless of cultural stripe.

My wife and I had a serious discussion before moving into the neighborhood. We didn't want to be the stereotypical gentrifiers who came in, made our house way "yuppie-fancier" than the rest of the houses on the block, built a giant fence to put our BMW's inside, drove across town to Whole Foods to shop, and only came out to walk our tiny dog in $100 yoga pants. (We don't actually have a BMW, yoga pants, or a tiny dog.)

Initially we intentionally made an effort to blend in: to spend time with our neighbors, to make our own fun instead of going to Montrose -- and to decide that if Fiesta didn't have it, we could either grow it or we didn't need it. A few months later paying boutique prices for things actually annoys us, and we've learned to cook and garden very well.

rs

I really, really like the neighborhood the way it is (I would like to see the schools do a better job but maybe that's not just here) -- but I think the imminent Light Rail will be good for everybody Eastward, regardless of cultural stripe.

My wife and I had a serious discussion before moving into the neighborhood. We didn't want to be the stereotypical gentrifiers who came in, made our house way "yuppie-fancier" than the rest of the houses on the block, built a giant fence to put our BMW's inside, drove across town to Whole Foods to shop, and only came out to walk our tiny dog in $100 yoga pants. (We don't actually have a BMW, yoga pants, or a tiny dog.)

Initially we intentionally made an effort to blend in: to spend time with our neighbors, to make our own fun instead of going to Montrose -- and to decide that if Fiesta didn't have it, we could either grow it or we didn't need it. A few months later paying boutique prices for things actually annoys us, and we've learned to cook and garden very well.

rs

Great post...$100 yoga pants? Now I gotta go make sure my wife didn't drop a benjamin on some damn spandex. I think we're safe, we're way too cheap for that stuff.

Fiesta rocks, and down with tiny dogs! Real dogs eat tiny dogs and live outside in the yard.

My connections to the arts scene are reporting similar movements. Artists are early adopters and opinion leaders, the vanguard of young, hip white people. And their numbers are continuing to increase in the East End.

Anectdotaly....Bohemeos was packed on Sunday. I'm going to an Annise Parker fundraiser tonight at a neighbor's house and will be one of the few people there not involved in the arts community.

Most young hip people would never look at the Chron's society pages, but whenever there is a DiverseWorks or Lawndale fundraiser, chances are there will be photos and/or bold face type of at least one of my neighbors.

rs

Ah, but you're only the second wave. You make the third wave, nouveau rich DINKs, feel safe in their many forthcoming townhomes. You occupy homes that otherwise would've been occupied by indigenous brown people with disproportionate numbers of school-age children. And you drive up the price of housing in places with relatively high ratios of renters to owners, pricing out other families when their leases come up. Soon, the kids from the poorest households are driven out of the public schools and the fourth wave, nouveau rich with families, come in. They devour and replace the older housing stock with oversized McMansions and drive up the price of commercial properties to astronomical levels.

...yes, I'm looking forward to that. Mwahahahaha. B)

Anectdotaly....Bohemeos was packed on Sunday.

I noticed! It took them some time to gain traction, but they're really an East End institution now. It's really amazing.

...I'm sure it helps that they can serve beer and wine, now.

Guess we are in the minority (pardon the pun) that on our side, most of my neighbors are not Hispanic but decided to stay put for the last 40 years or so. :rolleyes: Yeah!!!

Here is a real (perhaps unimaginable) image for some. The nearby JP Henderson Elementary was 95% anglo when we 1st enrolled in 1968. See images of the EastEnd Baseball park I posted of back then. Perhaps we are coming full circle? :)

Now, I am speaking of Near East End and it has always been very mixed, as of late anyway. So do not understand the comment of needing more white people? Theyre already here (newcomers to Houston).

Do a test and drive slowly around Idlywood, Country Club Place etc and see what ye shall find. Forget the stereotypes or what media shoves down your nostrils. and no they do not have to hang out at bars to be seen.

It is inaccurate to refer to the Hispanic residents of the East End neighborhoods referred to in this thread as "Indigenous". The neighborhoods south of Harrisburg (Eastwood, Lawndale, etc.) were developed for, and mostly inhabited by, middle class Anglo people until the 1960s & 1970s. The traditionally Hispanic neighborhoods of the East End are north of Harrisburg (Magnolia & Central Park).

It is inaccurate to refer to the Hispanic residents of the East End neighborhoods referred to in this thread as "Indigenous". The neighborhoods south of Harrisburg (Eastwood, Lawndale, etc.) were developed for, and mostly inhabited by, middle class Anglo people until the 1960s & 1970s. The traditionally Hispanic neighborhoods of the East End are north of Harrisburg (Magnolia & Central Park).

Applause!

Dan got it down as perfectly as it can be said. ^_^

In fact on the street where (mom) still lives on in Broadmoor/Dumble area still has many non-Hispanic residents that have been there since the 1940's & 50's. Of course many are senior citizens and they do have children/grandchildren that still live around here. Many of the kids we grew up with our still here and are not Hispanic, Latino whatever. Some are Jewish and or of German or Italian descent. The above is what we witnessed since we have been here since 1968 anyway.

So what if your neices & nephews are of both races? This could drag on people. ^_^

I know. I used the term "indigenous" as a figure of speech such as implied a sense of humor.

Can we drop race?? This is Houston people... someone's race is not necessarily connected to their economic status, their preferred location of residence, or their ability to own or rent. NOR does it imply that they will cause certain "sociological changes" within the neighborhood. Go to any corner of this city, and you will invariably find persons of different races.

• 3 months later...

From years of experience in the East End, highly visible HPD & constable cars cruising the streets along with Neighborhood on Watch groups would be the very first place to begin. All residents would feel safer, secure. Hubby's Mom was one of the first in the Eastwood Neighborhood on Watch which I believe was actually the first in the city of Houston. It made a huge difference! The Watch group was so wonderful as she aged & wanted to stay in her home. It made us feel so secure. This group was the pattern for most other Neighborhood on Watch groups in the city.

Can we drop race?? This is Houston people... someone's race is not necessarily connected to their economic status, their preferred location of residence, or their ability to own or rent. NOR does it imply that they will cause certain "sociological changes" within the neighborhood. Go to any corner of this city, and you will invariably find persons of different races.

Nope, race does matter. The race of pedestrians is a fairly good way to profile a neighborhood's transitional status as it relates to household income, educational attainment, quality of schools, the real or perceived predominance of crime, and ethnicity (i.e. culture). Race isn't the only thing that matters. Pedestrians wearing shabby clothes, gang colors, baggy clothing and bling, a business suit and tie, or what have you also communicate a number of things about a neighborhood. This is especially true useful for people that don't know how to use Census data or don't trust that 2000 Census data applies well to 2009 neighborhoods.

Racial profiling is about exploiting probabilistic reasoning to your advantage. It has nothing to do hatred or an assumption that every single individual with a particular skin color acts a certain way.

Also, I tend to think that people who are unwilling to move into a neighborhood with a majority population that isn't their skin color would probably be more concerned about being rejected by or intruding into that population than anything. It sort of makes sense if you consider that most hard racial lines in Houston have more to do with ethnicity than skin color. Consider the starkly different ethnic composition of Gulfton and the East End, for example.

Nope, race does matter. The race of pedestrians is a fairly good way to profile a neighborhood's transitional status as it relates to household income, educational attainment, quality of schools, the real or perceived predominance of crime, and ethnicity (i.e. culture). Race isn't the only thing that matters. Pedestrians wearing shabby clothes, gang colors, baggy clothing and bling, a business suit and tie, or what have you also communicate a number of things about a neighborhood. This is especially true useful for people that don't know how to use Census data or don't trust that 2000 Census data applies well to 2009 neighborhoods.

Racial profiling is about exploiting probabilistic reasoning to your advantage. It has nothing to do hatred or an assumption that every single individual with a particular skin color acts a certain way.

Also, I tend to think that people who are unwilling to move into a neighborhood with a majority population that isn't their skin color would probably be more concerned about being rejected by or intruding into that population than anything. It sort of makes sense if you consider that most hard racial lines in Houston have more to do with ethnicity than skin color. Consider the starkly different ethnic composition of Gulfton and the East End, for example.

You can also look at what they drive, the condition of said vehicle, and where they park it (in the driveway, or in the yard, next to the old dishwasher).

You can also look at what they drive, the condition of said vehicle, and where they park it (in the driveway, or in the yard, next to the old dishwasher).

Sure. There are plenty of good indicators. All I'm saying is that if an analytical method works, then use it. And racial profiling works, so I'm gonna use it.

From years of experience in the East End, highly visible HPD & constable cars cruising the streets along with Neighborhood on Watch groups would be the very first place to begin. All residents would feel safer, secure. Hubby's Mom was one of the first in the Eastwood Neighborhood on Watch which I believe was actually the first in the city of Houston. It made a huge difference! The Watch group was so wonderful as she aged & wanted to stay in her home. It made us feel so secure. This group was the pattern for most other Neighborhood on Watch groups in the city.

Yeah. Lately East End warehouse district seems to be a dumping ground for bodies.

Archived