Marfreless River Oaks Lounge At 2006 Peden St.

terrbo

My husband and I were talking about the bar near River Oaks Theater, Marfreles (sp?) last nite, and I was wondering.. how long has Marfreles been around?

anyone?

My husband and I were talking about the bar near River Oaks Theater, Marfreles (sp?) last nite, and I was wondering.. how long has Marfreles been around?

anyone?

you mean the dark bar that doesn't advertise, with selectively blind waitresses?

don't know what you're talking about.

it's a myth.

never heard of it

anyone?

I'm not sure about how long, but I do know that if you haven't been there in a long time, it has changed. For the better I think. I remember the old days when it was super dark and the couches were seriously grimey. Since Mike Wells bought it a few years ago he improved things like added more lighting and got new furniture. I actually went to a political campaign meeting for Michael Berry there when he was running for mayor! I thought that was a pretty cool move on his part.

I'm curious as to how long it has been there. Anyone?

I'm not sure about how long, but I do know that if you haven't been there in a long time, it has changed. For the better I think. I remember the old days when it was super dark and the couches were seriously grimey. Since Mike Wells bought it a few years ago he improved things like added more lighting and got new furniture.
I haven't been in yrs but from your description i'd think the additional lighting is a minus while the new sofas would be a plus. those were nasty. never know whose DNA is there.

I haven't been in yrs but from your description i'd think the additional lighting is a minus while the new sofas would be a plus. those were nasty. never know whose DNA is there.

It was a little too dark, but trust me it's still dark. Besides the additional lighting will help prevent what happened with the previous furniture. The Pimm's Cup cocktail is yummy!

We used to go there on occasion around 1987ish? Was originally intended to be for couples to make out upstairs. Now its like a preppy bar full of Paris Hilton wannabee's. Consider yourself warned. :wub:

PS, this is not a historical place at all. Merge!?

It was a little too dark, but trust me it's still dark. Besides the additional lighting will help prevent what happened with the previous furniture. The Pimm's Cup cocktail is yummy!

I believe the Pimm's Cup is the signature cocktail of the Napoleon House Bar/Restaurant in New Orleans. I've never tried one, but now you've got me curious.

We used to go there on occasion around 1987ish? Was originally intended to be for couples to make out upstairs. Now its like a preppy bar full of Paris Hilton wannabee's. Consider yourself warned.
Thx for the warning. I frequented in the late 80's to early 2000's. Sounds like it went Midtown. I'll have to miss out on the Pimm's Cocktail.

We used to go there on occasion around 1987ish? Was originally intended to be for couples to make out upstairs. Now its like a preppy bar full of Paris Hilton wannabee's. Consider yourself warned. :wub:

PS, this is not a historical place at all. Merge!?

I don't think anyone was saying it's historical, it's just been around a while. When was the last time you were there? I don't think it's fair to generalize the clientele.

It may be a little more popular now that Sherlock's Pub is closed. Not saying I've ever been there, but if I did, I got kicked out one night about 4 years ago....not that this is news....I've been kicked out of every bar worth going to at one time or another.

It is never my fault.

Oh wow! I never could remember the name of that place (which you're correct -- doesn't exist). But if it did, I'm sure it would have been the place a date took me one evening after dinner (back in the early '90's).

First date... can you believe the nerve of that guy? Lucky for him, he was hot.

I go to that particular non-existent bar a fair amount... not as much recently as I did a few years ago, but I happened to be there one night last week, and have something scheduled there again this week, and that was about how often I used to go.

I've hosted a couple of fundraising-type happy hours there before, and have been to a few other groups' fundraisers there, and the downstairs area is a pretty nice venue for those. If you were to happen by while one of those was in swing, though, you might get a different impression of the bar than you would on a regular night. The secret-make-out-bar reputation no doubt keeps some people coming in, but they all go upstairs (or should, if that's why they've come). Downstairs is just a regular bar. The crowd tends to be a little older on average than some Montrose bars, and it's not what I'd personally call a see-and-be-seen crowd. I think it's got a nice grown-up, relaxed atmosphere.

They have a good, extensive cocktail menu, and they do make a very good Pimm's Cup. [Yes, one of the signature drinks at Napoleon House. And people mix up vats full of them at boat races in England, complete with cucumber slices floating on top. Good summer cocktail, as it's very light. One of my favorites.]

Anyhow, thumbs up from me. If the place existed, I'd encourage you to try it (or try it again) sometime.

We used to go there on occasion around 1987ish? Was originally intended to be for couples to make out upstairs. Now its like a preppy bar full of Paris Hilton wannabee's. Consider yourself warned.

I couldn't agree more. It used to have a wonderful laid back anything goes sort of atmosphere....now its full of a bunch of uptight snots.

• 4 weeks later...

anyone?

I used to go there in the mid 1970s, when I worked at the Hobbit Hole nearby, and lived around the corner. This would have been 1974-1976. It seemed new, clean, nice couches, classical music, low lights and low key. I wondered if it still existed.

I'm rather amazed it is still 'not there'. My one and only visit was an eye-opener to say the least. In 1995, a gay friend of mine, attending Rice U. at the time insisted I see it for myself. So intriguing, a place that didn't officially exist, no exterior signs, just had to know which back door to open. We went upstairs and sat on one of the couches in the open sector, people watching, especially the ones entering and emerging from the area curtained off and totally dark.

For years I've kept the tiny, black matchbox I picked up there just to prove it did exist after all. I was told by my friend that it had been notorious originally as a place married River Oaks people could escape for some adulterous hanky panky. There was a couple going after it, but clothed on the couch opposite us. We spoiled everything, laughing ourselves silly and getting dirty looks.

I'm rather amazed it is still 'not there'. My one and only visit was an eye-opener to say the least. In 1995, a gay friend of mine, attending Rice U. at the time insisted I see it for myself. So intriguing, a place that didn't officially exist, no exterior signs, just had to know which back door to open. We went upstairs and sat on one of the couches in the open sector, people watching, especially the ones entering and emerging from the area curtained off and totally dark.

For years I've kept the tiny, black matchbox I picked up there just to prove it did exist after all. I was told by my friend that it had been notorious originally as a place married River Oaks people could escape for some adulterous hanky panky. There was a couple going after it, but clothed on the couch opposite us. We spoiled everything, laughing ourselves silly and getting dirty looks.

Oh No. You removed something from there. Now the guys in black suits and sunglasses are going to come and remove all evidence that it or you ever existed.

joe

Tell you what, Joe, if I see a black helicopter hovering over my house, I'll hold up a sign swearing you were the friend who took me there and forced me to kype the illicit matchbox! How you like them apples?

• 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to Marfreless River Oaks Lounge At 2006 Peden St.

Archived