Snow Mountain Amusement Park

MidtownCoog

A snow covered mountain in Houston? No thanks.

Actually, from the description, it sounds like the snow will be on the inside of the mountain. Which means the outside would probably be painted white or something. It's really hard picturing this thing. They might be better off building a large building over the whole mountain and complex so that it doesn't look too weird from the street. Or hide it behind a lot of trees or something so it doesn't look so unnatural.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, from the description, it sounds like the snow will be on the inside of the mountain. Which means the outside would probably be painted white or something. It's really hard picturing this thing. They might be better off building a large building over the whole mountain and complex so that it doesn't look too weird from the street. Or hide it behind a lot of trees or something so it doesn't look so unnatural.
From the outside the building will look like a mountain with a snowy peak and a white water river through real grass alpine meadows with huts and trees and optional terraced apartments. The inside features a giant cave connecting the various parts of the building, themed indoor slopes, snow circuit and ice cave with 3D and photo mountain ranges with blue sky

Guest Marty

I think that too, the fake snow would get blown all over the place in a strong thunderstorm.

It's hard to imagine real snow on the snowy peek. It will probably be paint. Hey- wouldn't it be great if they managed to keep real snow on the peek by having a machine constantly blowing snow up through a hole in the center like a volcano. Then the snowy peak would be real and always have a little hazy cloudy look.

No matter how they handle it, no doubt this thing (if built) will be a spectacle from the street. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing all depends on your sense of humor I guess.

It's hard to imagine real snow on the snowy peek. It will probably be paint. Hey- wouldn't it be great if they managed to keep real snow on the peek by having a machine constantly blowing snow up through a hole in the center like a volcano. Then the snowy peak would be real and always have a little hazy cloudy look.

No matter how they handle it, no doubt this thing (if built) will be a spectacle from the street. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing all depends on your sense of humor I guess.

Someone would try to be funny by jumping in to it or pushing another fool into the hole. College pranks would abound. Spectacle indeed.

Search google images for "Dubai Snow". You'll find interior and exterior photos of this structure.

Thats kind of neat, looks like a huge George Foreman Grill cooker deal. Bet the inside is quite modern and innovative. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from the Netherlands. While I was there I went to an indoor ski place. It was fantastic, one of the best things I have ever done. At 25 euro's I would have gone more had I found out about it earlier in my trip. I can imagine a place like this would be profitable... not sure how realistic all the other parts of the project are. But in indoor snow hill would be awesome.

I just got back from the Netherlands. While I was there I went to an indoor ski place. It was fantastic, one of the best things I have ever done. At 25 euro's I would have gone more had I found out about it earlier in my trip. I can imagine a place like this would be profitable... not sure how realistic all the other parts of the project are. But in indoor snow hill would be awesome.

Sounds cool, was it real snow or artificial?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone have any new info on this?I've talked with the dude behind this who is won't say much about it other than they plan to "start the infrastructure in the next 2-3 month's". So at least I know it's still on but I'm hoping someone can give me more info?

Does anyone have any new info on this?I've talked with the dude behind this who is won't say much about it other than they plan to "start the infrastructure in the next 2-3 month's". So at least I know it's still on but I'm hoping someone can give me more info?

In terms of this project, what is the guys responsibility that you talked to? What did he mean by infrastructure, putting in pipes etc?

In terms of this project, what is the guys responsibility that you talked to? What did he mean by infrastructure, putting in pipes etc?

I emailed the owner of "Unlimited Snow" in Amsterdam who forwarded my email to their "client and the Houston initiator".He and I have exchanged a few emails and pretty much all I've been told is "The Project is still moving forward and progressing . Hope to start the infrastructure in the next 2-3 month's" and as for where it will be, I was told there's "Major development in the area". So I have no idea what that means and why I'm asking if anyone has more info.

Here is the company website: http://www.snow.biz/

It's so weird that some rinky dink snowboarding website broke the story and as far as I can tell, there's nothing else about it online.

EDIT: This project, if done like planned, will be nothing short of amazing. Just reading the description makes me think this will be a humongous tourists attraction for outsiders and Houstonians.

A nice little quote. My question though is, why Houston? Or maybe I should just be glad.

The indoor snow centre will be the first in the US, and of its type, worldwide

I think it is near New Caney. It was rumored to be around there (near the new theme park).

Is this rumor from other message boards? If so, that's where the dinosour park will be, right? That area is gonna be crazy!

I think it is near New Caney. It was rumored to be around there (near the new theme park).

Its been a while since I heard anything about this, but my sources indicated that it would most likely be a west Houston site accessible from the Grand Parkway.

This would make sense, since such a location would be convenient for tourists from Austin and San Antonio. Since Dallas is getting a similar skiing concept, I'd doubt that as many tourists would come through IAH or HOU to visit this place.

Just by reading the the older posts in this thread, some people (excluding myself) said near the new theme park. The West Houston location would be alright, but I think a New Caney one would be better. Better airport access, and tourists would already be there for EarthQuest.

I emailed the owner of "Unlimited Snow" in Amsterdam who forwarded my email to their "client and the Houston initiator".He and I have exchanged a few emails and pretty much all I've been told is "The Project is still moving forward and progressing . Hope to start the infrastructure in the next 2-3 month's" and as for where it will be, I was told there's "Major development in the area". So I have no idea what that means and why I'm asking if anyone has more info.

I just received an email from the same guy but didn't get as much info. He said they are in the finance phase and hope to progress soon. He was gonna forward my email to the initiator in Houston, whoever that is.

Just by reading the the older posts in this thread, some people (excluding myself) said near the new theme park. The West Houston location would be alright, but I think a New Caney one would be better. Better airport access, and tourists would already be there for EarthQuest.

Tourism is a highly segmented market. This artificial snow concept looks to be oriented at individual metropolitan areas. EarthQuest seems to be oriented to a more regional or national market. I'm sure that they would benefit from proximity to one another, but I'm equally certain that a west Houston location could pick up on a hell of a lot more tourists from Austin and San Antonio than would a New Caney location.

...not to mention that New Caney isn't even very convenient to most of the Houston market.

Personally, just for juxtapositional value, I'd like to have seen it developed along Galveston Bay or in Galveston, but that probably wouldn't have been very smart, either.

Archived