Best Coffee In The Houston Area

keeping with some other "best of" threads, this one is a branch-off from kristiw's starbuck's thread

where can you find the best coffee? plain coffee, coffee drinks, atmosphere, you name it.

lately i have been getting dark roast from Diedrich on montrose. equal/splenda only. gives me the jitters on a particularly strong day :blush:

I actually HATE hot coffee, and most coffee joints taste the same in my opinion to a point where one is not superior to another, but the coffee that is my favorite is from the a chain that is Diedrich's. The Ice Blend Toffee Crunch.

don't go for the atmosphere.. or the kolaches..

but i like the Amaretto Blend from Kolache Factory.

It could be a generic brand available at other places for all i know, but that's usually my coffee of choice weekend mornings

I may have to cast my vote to, um... here goes my great reputation.... wafflehouse.

In my own defense, each pot is freshly-ground, and the fine WH folks always treat me to a large styrofoam cup full of beans (to-go) so I may enjoy their coffee at home for mornings to come. It is best garnished with a sunrise, rocking chair, and a porch.

I'm no coffee gourmet. On the contrary, I'll drink any swill that is a reasonable facsimile. So for me it is a vote on atmosphere. I'm still in mourning for the old Diedrichs on Westheimer, but I do like Inversion Coffee House on Montrose.

After drinking gallons of coffee for years I gradually switched to mainly tea, which isn't as bitter for the jitter-prone.

Oh man, all of the coffee places referenced above are awful! You guys are missing out.

My favorite coffe place has the best cappuccinos in town. I like Croissant Brioche in the Village. It's a french bakery that has been there for years. Lots of International people hang out there. I think they use Illy espresso. It's the bomb. And their croissants, pasteries, and croc monsieurs are awesome!

Agora on Westheimer is fun because of the people watching. All kinds of characters in there. Plus, they serve wine! Even better.

Empire Cafe down the street is pretty good too. As they say, "Corporate Coffee Sucks."

My favorite coffe place has the best cappuccinos in town. I like Croissant Brioche in the Village. It's a french bakery that has been there for years. Lots of International people hang out there. I think they use Illy espresso. It's the bomb. And their croissants, pasteries, and croc monsieurs are awesome!

I'll second that recommendation - I used to eat breakfast regularly at Croissant Brioche when I was at Rice. Chocolate croissant and a cappuccino. Dolce & Freddo used to use Illy espresso as well, and you can buy it in cans at many stores that sell specialty coffees. I miss Allegro, the Italian restaurant that used to be on Rice Blvd. down a ways from Croissant Brioche - that was another favorite breakfast spot, and their vast bowls of cappuccino got me kick-started on many mornings.

After 25 years of being a diehard espresso and cappuccino guzzler, I had to give up caffeine completely for medical reasons several weeks ago. I've since discovered that Central Market stocks pretty good decaf dark-roast espresso beans that are almost indistinguishable from the real thing (except, of course, for the hypercaffeinated blast).

Right now, I like the coffee at Empire - but I have to drink it outside. :D

on a related note, i buy a lot of coffee beans and make my own.

I have tried many different brands from different shops, freshly roasted, etc.

For some reason I always come back to the beans at the Whole Foods on Bellaire.

I can get the same variety of bean at the Alabama location, but they just aren't the same.

I wonder if it's psychological :wacko: , since I generally like the Bellaire Whole Foods location better?

I'll second that recommendation - I used to eat breakfast regularly at Croissant Brioche when I was at Rice. Chocolate croissant and a cappuccino. Dolce & Freddo used to use Illy espresso as well, and you can buy it in cans at many stores that sell specialty coffees. I miss Allegro, the Italian restaurant that used to be on Rice Blvd. down a ways from Croissant Brioche - that was another favorite breakfast spot, and their vast bowls of cappuccino got me kick-started on many mornings.

After 25 years of being a diehard espresso and cappuccino guzzler, I had to give up caffeine completely for medical reasons several weeks ago. I've since discovered that Central Market stocks pretty good decaf dark-roast espresso beans that are almost indistinguishable from the real thing (except, of course, for the hypercaffeinated blast).

I loved Allegro! Thanks, I forgot about that place. I used to work at Dolce & Freddo when I was like 14. I even served liquor in those capps! haha

Best gelato & sorbetto too.

Grotto has pretty good capps too.

Sorry you can't drink the real thing anymore:(

Wow, you're right... I forgot about that place. Used to go there several times a week when I worked in The Village.

i haven't been to croissant brioche in ages - i'll have to head there, inversion, and au bon pain soon.

i went to a waffle house in the middle of missouri recently and the coffee wasn't too bad. i don't go to empire, but agora's texas pecan is alright.

• 2 weeks later...
i'll have to add this in the breakfast thread as well, but Mojo Risin' on shepherd just south of I-10 has good coffee

what kind of breakfast do they have?

what kind of breakfast do they have?

standards like waffles, french toast, eggs, and my favorite, the breakfast bowl (potatoes, eggs, cheese, onions, bacon, sausage...)

there's also a variety of sandwiches and...quiche

standards like waffles, french toast, eggs, and my favorite, the breakfast bowl (potatoes, eggs, cheese, onions, bacon, sausage...)

there's also a variety of sandwiches and...quiche

okay, they get a visit from me!

the breakfast bowl sounds yummy. The mosquito cafe in galveston has a breakfast bowl that is similar. i love it too.

Purple Turtle

Profoundly unpretentious.

hey! i actually went there last year after you mentioned it on the board.

i agree wholeheartedly definately unpretentious!

good coffee and breakfast. a little slow - but no problem - as the people were nice and friendly.

a little like eating in a stockroom...but i like divey places like that :)

• The title was changed to Best Coffee In The Houston Area

Archived