Yes, the parent company of Newmark, TOUSA, filed for bankruptcy last year, and Mercedes Homes filed for bankruptcy last week. Both companies have huge exposure in some of the crappier U.S. housing markets, such as Florida ...

http://blogs.tampabay.com/realestate/2009/...edes-homes.html

By the way, bankruptcy is not synonymous with "going out of business," if that's what you're insinuating.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know about new territory... I hear there are a lot of car jackings and home invasions in that area.

The estimated completion of construction on the 17,000 s.f. amenity center is the first part of November 2009. The center will be completed in about one year from the start of construction. This is

Because of location. You have proximity to Westchase, Energy Corridor, Galleria, and various office parks along BW8 NW. Personally I think the Memorial is beautiful with its heavily forested pine tree

Look at the links below, should not anyone question this Master Planned Community and it's "Mock Ups"... ?

http://www.alianahouston.com/pages/landscape.html

http://www.grandheritagelavon.com/

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/...27/focus14.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/us/20exurb.html?ref=us

btw...How many builders filed bankruptcy at Grand Heritage?

Oh my, they named a neighborhood TANGLEWOOD? <_< Please.

NEXT

Look at the links below, should not anyone question this Master Planned Community and it's "Mock Ups"... ?

http://www.alianahouston.com/pages/landscape.html

http://www.grandheritagelavon.com/

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/...27/focus14.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/us/20exurb.html?ref=us

btw...How many builders filed bankruptcy at Grand Heritage?

Cali Girl.... Your stuff is getting old

The stuff on City Data has been erased! Do you want that to happen here too?

• Like 1

Cali~girl ...

It's obvious you have some sort of axe to grind with Aliana and/or its developers (or perhaps you're a troll working for a rival developer), but I fail to see your point. Your last post had links to Web sites and stories about another Cheng development in Lavon, which is a far-flung suburb of Dallas. This ain't Dallas, and when it comes to housing markets and suburbs, there are very few similarities between Dallas and Houston (I've lived in both places ... it's night and day).

Yes, the economy is in the toilet, and so is the housing market. It's definitely not a seller's market, and I would imagine times are tough for any housing development right now -- not just Aliana.

First Colony was being developed the last time the bottom fell out of the housing market (early 80s). From what I've heard, when that happened, the "reputable" builders moved out and the crappy builders moved in. Drive through First Colony sometime and you can see a stark difference in quality from one block to the next. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen to Aliana, but it's a distinct possibility in the current economic climate.

So, Cali~girl, what's your point?

I think its the opposite. I would bet Cali-Girl works for Aliana and is just using reverse-psychology on us.

Or ... maybe Cali~girl is a disgruntled employee of Aliana ... or maybe Cheng ran over Cali~girl's dog ... or ... oh, nevermind.

• Like 1

By the way, the new alignment for FM 1464 is now open through Aliana. Drove it tonight, and even though they have only one lane open in each direction, it's a vast improvement over the old 1464. It also carries you past Aliana's new rec center (under construction), which looks quite impressive.

I still don't get it. Are you accusing the developers of Aliana of some sort of wrongdoing? Seriously, you keep posting these vague messages about how there's something horribly wrong with Aliana, but you're not backing it up with anything. WHAT ARE YOU GETTING AT? You say there's something else at play that is being missed. WHAT IS IT? Please, enlighten us with your wisdom ...

They show all those beautiful things because that's the PLAN. That's why it's called a master-PLANNED community. They're showing you what it will look like WHEN IT'S FINISHED. They only started building houses there in the past 12 months. It will take many, many years to build out a 2,000-acre development (maybe even longer in the current economic climate).

By the way, the new alignment for FM 1464 is now open through Aliana. Drove it tonight, and even though they have only one lane open in each direction, it's a vast improvement over the old 1464. It also carries you past Aliana's new rec center (under construction), which looks quite impressive.

This was my only concern, as it seems like FM1464 cutting the neighborhood in half now, with the "cheaper" homes east of the new road with easier access to the rec center. It seems more dangerous for kids riding their bikes to the pool to have to cross a 4 lane FM1464.

I noticed while headed southbound on 99 yesterday a bunch of new stadium lights up on the back of the development. I guess that's the new polo field.

This was my only concern, as it seems like FM1464 cutting the neighborhood in half now, with the "cheaper" homes east of the new road with easier access to the rec center. It seems more dangerous for kids riding their bikes to the pool to have to cross a 4 lane FM1464.

Hmmm ... sounds a little bit like New Territory, don'tcha think?

It's the master-planned community at Highway 90A and Grand Parkway. New Territory is divided by the Grand Parkway, which is currently 4-6 lanes (plus a wide median), but will eventually be a freeway ...

Edited by jrc
with the "cheaper" homes east of the new road with easier access to the rec center.

These are the planned neighborhoods east of the new road:

Bretton Woods, $235-$350s

Waterchase, $200s-$300s

Wedgewood, $200s

Now, I know it's all relative, but those prices don't sound "cheap" ...

For the record ...

I just visited each builder's Web site for each of those neighborhoods. Meritage is the builder in Bretton Woods and Waterchase, and they are now promoting "lower" prices ($174,880-$272,880). Mercedes is the builder in Wedgewood (priced $180s-$240s).

Hmmm ... sounds a little bit like New Territory, don'tcha think?

It does, but I don't think FM1464 has plans to get bigger than what it is. Still, a major intersection is a major intersection: not safe for kids to cross - especially rambunctious kids excited to go swimming.

As for the home prices, I used the word "cheaper" because its relative, and not literal - although with todays building practices I suppose it could be the latter.

While New Territory IS divided by the Grand Parkway there are bicycle trails and walking paths that allow residents safe passage. While the median price on the West side is lower than the East side it hosts the Sports Complex and several baseball fields used by all the residents. It doesn't sound like what you are describing at all.

What do you think?

And for the record, this will be my last response to you, Cali~girl. I knew better than to feed a troll, but did it anyway.

I've read the same posts she's put up about Aliana both here and at City-Data. She is sharing her opinion, and in a few cases she has backed up her posts with research. To my mind, she is not a troll. She is a participating member of these forums, voicing her opinions, just like the rest of us.

The posts at City-Data have been deleted, and I haven't seen anything backed up by research. All I see is innuendo.

She was clearly lying and not backing up any of her posts!

Thats the reason all of her posts were deleted...

She has a vendetta, and is starting the same stuff over here!

• Like 1
She was clearly lying and not backing up any of her posts!

Thats the reason all of her posts were deleted...

She has a vendetta, and is starting the same stuff over here!

Yes, this is what happened over at city-data. We were even fussed at for not reporting her sooner for being a troll.

Long story short: It was basically found out she had some kind of personal beef with one of the homebuilders out of Florida, who happens to be one of the many builders in Aliana. That's the only connection.

• Like 1

I find myself with many in the group thinking... "So what?" It sounds like you're making a big deal out of very little. Companies go bankrupt all the time. Hundreds a day in good times, thousands a day these days. What's your point?

Earlier you wrote, "There is something else at play here that is being missed - Truth does Matter!"

We're still waiting for you to reveal the big secret. Please reveal the huge "truth" that has heretofore been covered up.

I cut through Aliana today, sort of on the way to somewhere else. I hadn't seen it in about two months. Wow! It's looking really nice. I like the street name signs with the "A" on them. A bunch of landscaping was going in. You know, at first I was skeptical about some people saying it would be like another Telfair... but now I can totally see how that will probably happen. I must admit, I was a tad envious driving through there today!

I saw the massive rec center too... I didn't realize it was going up on the east side of FM 1464. I had seen something big going up on the west side in the recent past that I thought was the rec center, but maybe it was just one of the model homes. Wow, I feel like a dork now...

We were seriously considering moving to Aliana and am just a little concerned with so much traffic going through there. FM1464 seems like it might have some growing pains like Hwy 6 with bottlenecks and such until it gets completely built out all the way from Hwy 90 to Westpark Tollway- and maybe there are plans to do that.

If I could be guaranteed that my kids wouldn't go to Bush High or Hodges Middle, we'd consider moving there.

Hey now! I went to Hodges Bend...oh yeah, good call. ;)

I lived in Mission Bend and went to HBMS & Austin HS some years ago so its weird seeing the new 1464 alignment. I hadn't driven through this area in probably about a year until today. I agree with AK123, looks nice.

Its the unforeseeable nature of school zoning that makes me so weary of moving further into this area. Aliana looks good so far though. It should shape up nicely.

When we lived in First Colony, they zoned our little subdivision and the one next to us to schools on the "other side of the tracks" so to say. They tried to rezone another neighboring subdivision to those schools as well, and the parents had an uproar. First Colony, of all places! Just goes to show, you're not safe from this anywhere in FBISD. You just have to make an informed decision and take the chance.

I thought Aliana was zoned to Austin High? I would be highly surprised if they rezoned Aliana or anywhere else out of Austin High. Especially if Telfair gets its own high school (though being zoned to Kempner doesn't seem to be hurting sales) and all the New Territory kids get moved out of the Austin High zone and into the new Telfair school.

• Like 1

A neighborhood less than a mile from where Aliana is building, called Eaglewood on Bissonnet, was featured on KPRC news tonight. They've had a rash of break-ins and car burglaries.

All I can say for West Oaks Village is that we got a Constable Contract for that very reason. Oh, that and the fact that now the one, yes - count him, one Fort Bend Sheriff Deputy that would patrol our neighborhood will probably be spending more time in Eaglewood & Mission Bend in general.

Edited by Jeebus
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who are interested:

(1) According to TxDoT the new upgraded 1464 will be complete to the Westpark Tollway sometime in September. At that time all of the lanes will be opened.

(2) The developer has built a walkway under 1464 so kids (or parents) wanting to go to the rec center will not have to cross over 1464, but can safely cross via a walkway under the road - along the waterway.

• Like 1
(2) The developer has built a walkway under 1464 so kids (or parents) wanting to go to the rec center will not have to cross over 1464, but can safely cross via a walkway under the road - along the waterway.

I haven't seen this. I'll be on the look out for it today.