• 9 months later...
Having a web site up and running means nothing. What is on a web site, doesn't make it true. What is really going on with Aliana is what matters? Are there any street lights? No! Are houses being built and sold? Not many! Are there fences falling down and in need of repair or not completed? Yes!

Aliana looks like a community which is falling apart, not a beautiful place to live and enjoy your new home. :wacko:

boy coming from California I bet you have experinced that before!

Having a web site up and running means nothing. What is on a web site, doesn't make it true. What is really going on with Aliana is what matters? Are there any street lights? No! Are houses being built and sold? Not many! Are there fences falling down and in need of repair or not completed? Yes!

Aliana looks like a community which is falling apart, not a beautiful place to live and enjoy your new home. :wacko:

Let me guess, you live in Aliana, or near it?

I drove through here a few days ago for the first time. What surprised me most was that the newly constructed, four lane with esplanade, FM1464 runs right through the middle of the development.

Other than that, it did seem quiet, but no more so than any other development in the early stages of build-out.

Edited by Jeebus

• 3 weeks later...

Any new updates on this planned development?

What about the elementary schools? There are some really attractive subdivisions along FM 1464, lots of big nice homes around little lakes, but I notice there is really no elementary in the immediate vicinity for these places?

What about Old Orchard, which looks still in development - has it always been zoned to the elementary way up Grand Pkwy (Oakland Elem)? Will it ever get zoned to something closer? Maybe the Aliana school?

JRC where are you? I can't believe you've been rezoned 3 times in 3 years!

JRC where are you? I can't believe you've been rezoned 3 times in 3 years!

I live in Orchard Lakes. Love the neighborhood, but that doesn't mean we don't have problems. At the top of my list is the elementary school issue. Not sure why they kept Old Orchard in the Oakland zone (that was our previous school, before we were shipped off to Telfair), but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that Old Orchard was just being started last time they redrew the boundaries. I think Oakland is over capacity now, so it wouldn't surprise me if they moved the Old Orchard kids to Telfair next year.

Haven't heard any updates for the most recent development. I did, however, have an e-mail exchange with TxDOT the other day concerning the widening of the southern segment of FM 1464. Here's what they told me:

"The current widening of FM 1464 from FM 1093 to Austin High School should be complete by the end of this year. Unfortunately, we still do not have the necessary funding for the FM 1464 widening from Austin High School to SH 99.

We are preparing the design plans, in hopes that we will receive sufficient funding soon. We have submitted this section of FM 1464, as well as other roadways on what is being called a "Stimulus Package". That is, roadways which we hope will be earmarked to receive funding in the immediate future with the federal stimulus packages that you have been hearing about in the news. At this time, the best estimate for when this section of FM 1464 widening would be awarded for construction is late 2010. I would anticipate the construction to take approximately 2 years.

Thanks for your interest. I recognize that traffic on FM 1464 is growing, and the improvements are needed. Hopefully the funding for this needed project and many others can be resolved swiftly."

One other note about 1464 ...

I noticed a sign the other day that said a major traffic switch is coming Jan. 24 (I think that was the date). Sounds like they're about to move traffic onto the newly constructed lanes that pass straight through Aliana. Personally, I can't WAIT to have two lanes in each direction! Every time I head north on 1464, I get stuck behind a dump truck going 20 mph :angry:

Drove by Aliana the other day.

Ambitious project that looks like it is moving along quite nicely. I saw the lights for the polo field were up, the rec center is up (but not finished) and several homes. Looks like it has a nice layout.

I think it will be a really nice place in a few years.

I don't think it's moved forward with development or advertising full force yet, probably next year after this housing slump hitting the country (hopefully) passes.

It's a good thing Aliana is getting an elementary school, since the other high-end developments along FM 1464 don't have one in the neighborhood. Anyone know when this school is to be built and opened?

I drove through here a few days ago for the first time. What surprised me most was that the newly constructed, four lane with esplanade, FM1464 runs right through the middle of the development.

Other than that, it did seem quiet, but no more so than any other development in the early stages of build-out.

Does anyone know what will happen with Madden Road. I heard (not a reliable source) that it might be closed.

Thanks JRC for that info from TXDOT. Sounds good.

Does anyone know what might become of Madden Road since West Bellfort is now the main road through Aliana? Also do you know what the plan might be for the property across Madden Road from Aliana?

Yes, the parent company of Newmark, TOUSA, filed for bankruptcy last year, and Mercedes Homes filed for bankruptcy last week. Both companies have huge exposure in some of the crappier U.S. housing markets, such as Florida ...

http://blogs.tampabay.com/realestate/2009/...edes-homes.html

By the way, bankruptcy is not synonymous with "going out of business," if that's what you're insinuating.

Look at the links below, should not anyone question this Master Planned Community and it's "Mock Ups"... ?

http://www.alianahouston.com/pages/landscape.html

http://www.grandheritagelavon.com/

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/...27/focus14.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/us/20exurb.html?ref=us

btw...How many builders filed bankruptcy at Grand Heritage?

Oh my, they named a neighborhood TANGLEWOOD? <_< Please.

NEXT

Look at the links below, should not anyone question this Master Planned Community and it's "Mock Ups"... ?

http://www.alianahouston.com/pages/landscape.html

http://www.grandheritagelavon.com/

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/...27/focus14.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/20/us/20exurb.html?ref=us

btw...How many builders filed bankruptcy at Grand Heritage?

Cali Girl.... Your stuff is getting old

The stuff on City Data has been erased! Do you want that to happen here too?

• Like 1

Cali~girl ...

It's obvious you have some sort of axe to grind with Aliana and/or its developers (or perhaps you're a troll working for a rival developer), but I fail to see your point. Your last post had links to Web sites and stories about another Cheng development in Lavon, which is a far-flung suburb of Dallas. This ain't Dallas, and when it comes to housing markets and suburbs, there are very few similarities between Dallas and Houston (I've lived in both places ... it's night and day).

Yes, the economy is in the toilet, and so is the housing market. It's definitely not a seller's market, and I would imagine times are tough for any housing development right now -- not just Aliana.

First Colony was being developed the last time the bottom fell out of the housing market (early 80s). From what I've heard, when that happened, the "reputable" builders moved out and the crappy builders moved in. Drive through First Colony sometime and you can see a stark difference in quality from one block to the next. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen to Aliana, but it's a distinct possibility in the current economic climate.

So, Cali~girl, what's your point?

I think its the opposite. I would bet Cali-Girl works for Aliana and is just using reverse-psychology on us.

Or ... maybe Cali~girl is a disgruntled employee of Aliana ... or maybe Cheng ran over Cali~girl's dog ... or ... oh, nevermind.

• Like 1