Kemah Boardwalk At 215 Kipp Ave.

DaTrain said:
:lol @ Houston gettin Disney. I'd rather have a Paramount-owned theme park here instead. Better yet, resurrect Astroworld from the dead by buildig somewhere else in the city/metro, go to the other amusement parks that have the rides, and beg people who bought memorabilia on Ebay to give it all back.

Considering 2/3rd of the rides at Astroworld were destroyed, this might be difficult.

But hey, new wooden coaster coming to Kemah next year. It's going to be nice. Expect formal announcement within a few days.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But hey, new wooden coaster coming to Kemah next year. It's going to be nice. Expect formal announcement within a few days.

I'm really excited about this! The model photos I've seen of the new Kemah coaster are awsome. From the model photos, this looks to be a truly great roller coaster. The last truly great coaster built in the Houston area was over 30 years ago - the Texas Cyclone. I would say that Houston is long overdue for this. If this new coaster comes to fruition it will be a great asset to the Houston area.

:D

I'm really excited about this! The model photos I've seen of the new Kemah coaster are awsome. From the model photos, this looks to be a truly great roller coaster. The last truly great coaster built in the Houston area was over 30 years ago - the Texas Cyclone. I would say that Houston is long overdue for this. If this new coaster comes to fruition it will be a great asset to the Houston area.

:D

Let's see the photos. Where is it going to be placed? They don't see to have too much spare land down there.

When is it supposed to be built? I read a while back that Fertitta was wanting to put a coaster over there. If it happens, maybe other rides will follow and eventually grow into a full-fledged theme park.

Is there even enough land over that way for a full fledged theme park resort?

why is the full model shot in a directory called cedarpoint? how do we know this model is for kemah?

The model was photographed at the IAAPA convention in Atlanta last month and was showcased at the booth of the designer, Gravity Group. It was the construction crew Martin & Vleminckx also onsite at IAAPA who revealed to just about anyone that asked that it was going to be built in Kemah. The guy who actually built that model has been posting on Coasterbuzz too.

Wood has already shown up onsite and an acre sized construction area next to Saltgrass is blocked off. I would expect an opening sometime in Spring 07 if all goes well.

The guys at Gravity Group are responsible for some of the best wooden rollercoasters in the world such as Hades and The Voyage and are comprised of guys who formerly worked for Custom Coasters International which built The Raven, The Legend, Ghostrider, The Villain, etc. If I had my choice of any company to build us a ride in Houston it'd have been Gravity Group without question. I'm pretty excited about this design.

Amusement Today should publish a formal announcement in tandem with the park any day now. Fertitta previously made known his intention to build a rollercoaster in Kemah, though it's happening quicker than we expected him to move.

Who cares about the amount of land a coaster takes up? It's about the height and length and most important, the design elements and air time. This layout is terrific. Looks like lots of air. The tracks look like they must cross themselves about 20 times! And it looks like there will be many powerful banked curves. O Baby!

The Texas Tornado at AstroWorld was a coaster that took up about an acre and it was a terrific coaster that was 115 ft high and had about 3675 ft of track. Certainly not a mega coaster, but a great coaster none the less. Although the stats for this new wooden coaster have not been released yet, I would guess judging by the model that it is about 85-110 ft high and close to 3000 ft long or longer. Screw the acre footprint. Give me a crazy, tight twister any day!

Yeah, Kemah is a "Coney Island" type of place. Not a full-fledged amusement park, but lots of rides, restaurants, boardwalk, bay, atmosphere etc. Put a coaster there. We'll all go. :D

Put a coaster there, we'll all go, and then we'll have to pay an admission fee. :closedeyes:

The Texas Tornado at AstroWorld was a coaster that took up about an acre and it was a terrific coaster that was 115 ft high and had about 3675 ft of track. Certainly not a mega coaster, but a great coaster none the less. Although the stats for this new wooden coaster have not been released yet, I would guess judging by the model that it is about 85-110 ft high and close to 3000 ft long or longer. Screw the acre footprint. Give me a crazy, tight twister any day!

Did you know the Texas Tornado originally was a traveling coaster in Germany? That's the reason for the small footprint. Don't tell Montrose1100. He can't handle this kind of information.

I agree that the footprint of the Kemah coaster means nothing. But, I'll bet it's much larger than an acre. Perhaps some of it will be built over the water. Perhaps more land will be blocked off, once construction is actually ready to begin. In any case, this looks like a good one.

Just announced in http://amusementtoday.com/, the Houston area will receive a new wooden rollercoaster for 2007 at the Kemah Boardwalk. The Gravity Group designed this as-yet -unnamed ride being built by Martin & Vleminckx which will be 95ft tall, traverse a track over 3000ft, and reach speeds of about 50 mph. This will be the only adult sized, permament installation rollercoaster within a 200 mi radius once built and first area coastal coaster attraction since Galveston's early 20th century rides. Construction has already begun with an estimated opening of spring, early summer 07.

Kemahhigh.jpg

Just announced in http://amusementtoday.com/, the Houston area will receive a new wooden rollercoaster for 2007 at the Kemah Boardwalk. The Gravity Group designed this as-yet -unnamed ride being built by Martin & Vleminckx which will be 95ft tall, traverse a track over 3000ft, and reach speeds of about 50 mph. This will be the only adult sized, permament installation rollercoaster within a 200 mi radius once built and first area coastal coaster attraction since Galveston's early 20th century rides. Construction has already begun with an estimated opening of spring, early summer 07.

Kemahhigh.jpg

Thanks for the news Fierce Pancake.

It was mentioned in a recent thread along with the future dinosaur park.

I already put in a request to merge this topic with a similar one.

This topic is worthy of its own thread.

Why in the world would I expcect to find coaster news in the dino thread?

It can be vice versa, but there are already several posts about it, along with a half a dozen more photos in that particular thread.

The original post is in the "Astroworld Memories" thread and ironically, was posted on November 27th 2006 by Fierce Pancake also. :blink:

I don't know what compelled him to post this news item twice, but overall, this Kemah coaster is making a 3rd apperance on HAIF, so I thought we try to clean it up a bit. :closedeyes:

Maybe the moderators can change the topic line to cover both subjects as well, or just send this on into the "Astroworld Memories" thread and add a secondary title about a new coaster.

Relegating this topic to a thread on Astroworld Memories is both a disservice to the new project and also disrespectful of Astroworld.

So, what do you think they'll name it? I like "Tilman's Twister".

what about "beef fajita special"?

Archived