Sunrise Lake Village Shopping Center In Pearland

sjslaw

Have not heard anything but I can tell you that the quality of the food has declined steadily over the years. We first went to Mely's when it was a hole in the wall type place on 518 east of 35. It was in a little strip center and the food was excellent. They moved to the center at McClean and 518 by the movie theatres and we went almost every Friday night. The owner was always there and the food and service was great. The owner then opened Jicama across from where the new Melys is and as soon as it was built he spent all his time there. The quality of Melys started declining rapidly. Add that to the dearth of other resturants that opened that are both Mexican food and non Mexican food and I think Melys just cannot keep up any more.

They closed for Christmas and never reopened. Their sales never increased over what they were getting in the old location, but their rent went up substantially. Overbuilt would be the word. Supposedly two other well known restaurants are looking at the location, but the tab and dealing with the landlord may keep it from happening.

If Mely's is closed that is very good news to me. I took my wife there one night and they didn't have our menu item available and when we decided to leave for another place the manage got very aggressive and rude with us. It is all about the service.

If you want a nice little Mexican place in Pearland, I have found Celayas to be wonderful.

G

• 1 month later...
If Mely's is closed that is very good news to me. I took my wife there one night and they didn't have our menu item available and when we decided to leave for another place the manage got very aggressive and rude with us. It is all about the service.

If you want a nice little Mexican place in Pearland, I have found Celayas to be wonderful.

G

Don't diss Mely's. That's my favorite place to eat. I heard that the owner was getting divorced. But I believe that the rent went up too.

Don't diss Mely's. That's my favorite place to eat. I heard that the owner was getting divorced. But I believe that the rent went up too.

I remember one day I went in there to eat last summer and the AC was not working. The owners made them commit to another 5 year lease before he fixed it.

I sometimes eat there twice a week as most can tell my my growing waistline. LOL

G

• 1 month later...

Anybody know what's happening to USA Health and Fitness' new gym?? I'm afraid I'm out 1 G! I signed our family as one of the first 100 charter members after we saw a sign that said 26000 sq ft gym coming soon. It was supposed to be complete by January of last year. When I called (MLK weekend), they told me it was building codes dragging them down, but there would be a truck on the land Tuesday starting construction. I drove by....sure enough it was true. But now, where the gym supposively was to be built, I see Chicago title and some blood bank. I checked the BBB website, and it looks as though they may have filed bankruptcy. Anybody know anything or have any advice? I still have my contract and receipts. I never even gotten so much as a letter.

Anybody know what's happening to USA Health and Fitness' new gym?? I'm afraid I'm out 1 G! I signed our family as one of the first 100 charter members after we saw a sign that said 26000 sq ft gym coming soon. It was supposed to be complete by January of last year. When I called (MLK weekend), they told me it was building codes dragging them down, but there would be a truck on the land Tuesday starting construction. I drove by....sure enough it was true. But now, where the gym supposively was to be built, I see Chicago title and some blood bank. I checked the BBB website, and it looks as though they may have filed bankruptcy. Anybody know anything or have any advice? I still have my contract and receipts. I never even gotten so much as a letter.

How did you pay? Maybe you can take it up with your credit card company?

Where exactly were they supposed to be opening? I have never even heard of this company.

They were located where Mely's used to be. USA Health and Fitness off of Broadway. They were opening a 26,000 sq foot facility in front of Sunrise lakes. Right now, the fitness facility by old Mely's says new owner, and the 26,000 square foot place is now the home of chicago title and a blood bank. That's a good idea with the credit card. I guess it's worth a shot. The only problem is, the transaction was made in 8/05.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In case anyone liked Mely's. They do have another location in League City. It's open for as long as I can remember. Bascially 45 South and exit FM518 and make a left. It's just at the intersection where 518 changes to Marina Bay.

I always thought that Mely's was the best in Pearland, though I never visited their new location. Other worthwhile Mexican places in Pearland:

Las Rosas

Juanitos (quiet and elegant, with strolling mariachis)

Dos Hermanos

Lila's (incredibly cheap and decent food)

Lots of people like Gringos, and it's OK though if it were up to me I'd choose another place. Never been to Celaya or Taqueria Arandas, heard good stuff about both. Of course we're starting to get the national chains: Casa Ole, On The Border, Don Carlos. I suggest patronizing the locals.

• 2 months later...
That will be decided by if they can sell Liquor or Not.... I don't know if that is in or out of the Blue Law ZOne!

Mely's sold liquor so Sams Boat will be able to pending them receiving their liquor permit. The parts of Brazoria county not in the city limits of Pearland are the areas affected by the dry county laws. Clubs, bars and resturants in those areas require memberships to serve alchohol but Pearland changed those rules several years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
Mely's sold liquor so Sams Boat will be able to pending them receiving their liquor permit. The parts of Brazoria county not in the city limits of Pearland are the areas affected by the dry county laws. Clubs, bars and resturants in those areas require memberships to serve alchohol but Pearland changed those rules several years ago.

I still don't understand these supposed dry county laws for Brazoria County. I used to live in Angleton which is the Seat of Brazoria County and they have liqour stores and don't require memberships to serve alcohol in restaurants or bars. Same thing with Lake Jackson, also part of BC. I've always thought that Pearland was just a dry "city".

Is BC a dry county, but the towns within BC all have their own laws regarding whether or not they are dry "towns"? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Is this law somewhere online?

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say I went to Mely's once and hated it. That was a few months back ... I like Sam's boat idea, but what a horrible location!!! Sam's boat usually has nice patios, but if they put in a patio here there will be a nice parking lot for the view! What were they thinking??? They should have waiting and put it in at waterlights next to water!

I have to say I went to Mely's once and hated it. That was a few months back ... I like Sam's boat idea, but what a horrible location!!! Sam's boat usually has nice patios, but if they put in a patio here there will be a nice parking lot for the view! What were they thinking??? They should have waiting and put it in at waterlights next to water!

Yea the food @ Mely's at the new location was not up to par.

I miss the old Mely's at the old location..they had live music & it was always packed..Friday & Saturday nights had long waiting lines..and the food was excellent.

Then the crappy overhyped Mexican restaurants closer to 288 came in & stole their business.

It was all downhill from then.

I have to travel into town or east to the Baybrook area for good Mexican food now.

Archived