How To Pronounce "Jacinto"

Subdude

So why not pronounce it properly in the language of Cervantes?

Becuase we handed Santa Anna his own arse to him, that's why.

To the victor go the spoils....

And FWIW, it's also San Jacinto College, not Ha-SEEN-to College.

Oy Vey, and don't forget San Felipe!

San Fill-ipp-ae or San Feel-ip-pee for San Felipe?

There's also another pronounciation I've heard before, but thankfully it seems to be dying out. San Fill-EEP, similar to how some Austin residents pronounce Guadalupe "Guad-a-LOOP".

I personally prefer the Spanish pronounciations of those words. However I do usually say "Jacinto" in the Texan way because around here most people wouldn't have a clue as to where I was talking about.

MidtownCoog mentioned one that makes my skin curl when I hear it. I can't stand it when people say "Tu-am" as two syllables. I've known two people in my life with that name as a last name, and it's pronounced as one syllable. Think "TWAM" if you need help with it.

Elgin/El-GIN is debatable. I prefer the soft g sound (Elgin) to the hard g, but I hear it so often both ways I really have no clue which is considered correct.

At one point it was generally "San Fill-uppy" but now it seems like you hear the Spanish pronunciation more. I don't think there's any real reason to conform pronunciation to whatever language originated the word. That would be like calling Paris Texas "Paree"!

What a fun topic....

First of all, Humble is umble because it was named after a family, not an adjective.

With it's Spanish and French influences, we are lucky in Houston to have such a wonderful bastardization of local pronunciation. If you are new to Houston, it's natural for you to use the proper pronunciation for San Jacinto, but eventually you'll get around to using the "correct" one for Houston. For those of you who would like to erase all Spanish influence from Houston (you know who you are), why don't you start calling it Saint Hayacinth instead (look up the proper translation). That said, I'll continue to use the native Houstonian San JAcinto (and San Fill-uppy) pronunciation t.y.v.m.

• 11 years later...

There's a really old joke about this. A guy from Texas and his friend from out of town are visiting San Jacinto. The Texan references San Jacinto (juh-keen-toe). The friend says "isn't it pronounced ha-seen-toe?". The Texan looks off into the distance, then back at his friend and says "we fought it, we won it, we call it San juh-keen-toe". 

Not the best joke on the block. 

2 hours ago, samagon said:

There's a really old joke about this. A guy from Texas and his friend from out of town are visiting San Jacinto. The Texan references San Jacinto (juh-keen-toe). The friend says "isn't it pronounced ha-seen-toe?". The Texan looks off into the distance, then back at his friend and says "we fought it, we won it, we call it San juh-keen-toe". 

Not the best joke on the block. 

I've never heard a honky say "juh-keen-toe. Only "jah-cen-toe". Well, okay, maybe one old man.. But he also pronounced Home Depot as "Depp-o" and not "Deep-o". Not wrong, just annoying.

On 4/20/2016 at 11:32 PM, BigFootsSocks said:

Round of applause for updating an 11+ year old thread. Hot damn that's impressive that Haif still has these old threads lying around. No wonder if takes so long to load the site now...

You need to upgrade from that 386SX...:P

OK, since this thread is revived, here's one that I've wondered about. Fournace Place...is it "four-nayce"? Or is it "fur-niss", like the thing with fire, or "four-naché"?

(As for Jacinto, I've pronounced it as "Juh-sin-toe", that's how I always heard it anyway)

1 hour ago, IronTiger said:

OK, since this thread is revived, here's one that I've wondered about. Fournace Place...is it "four-nayce"? Or is it "fur-niss", like the thing with fire, or "four-naché"?

(As for Jacinto, I've pronounced it as "Juh-sin-toe", that's how I always heard it anyway)

Four-Niss

Archived