Coyote Uglys Downtown

i heard that Ugly's is opening downtown !!! my guess would be between the 200-400 block of Main Street or so... does anyone know where they leased space ? ps- i am glad that this particular national operator had enough sense to select downtown :blush: . Clearly they have good direction in selecting a location, as opposed to some other groups....(shhhhh !!!!)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i heard that Ugly's is opening downtown !!! my guess would be between the 200-400 block of Main Street or so... does anyone know where they leased space ? ps- i am glad that this particular national operator had enough sense to select downtown :blush: . Clearly they have good direction in selecting a location, as opposed to some other groups....(shhhhh !!!!)

I don't know if it's official yet, but word-on-the-street has it that Houston Pavillions could be the location.

Wow...awesome news. I bet this place lasts AT LEAST 6 months!!! :wacko:

A Coyote Ugly opened up in DC about a year ago, shortly before I moved to Houston. It's a chain, and not at all my style, but this would count as a good thing for downtown. It is not a bar that would cater to the current downtown "nightlife" crowd. The DC version opened up in a very, very pricey location in one of DC's trendier neighborhoods directly across from MCI Center (Washington Wizards). I'm guessing a Houston version would look to take advantage of Rocket's pre-game crowd in much same way, making the Pavilions the most likely location.

Never heard of it, but it sounds like another one of that breed of chain restaurants/bars that always spring up in the more touristy areas of cities. Like Hard Rock Cafe or Planet Hollywood, not really catering to the locals, and inevitably selling t-shirts and such.

Having never seen the movie "Coyote ugly", I'm a bit apprehensive about it.

Is it supposed to be a "high end" bar, that will attract young professionals and some college students?

Or is it something of a glorified local bar that will feature attractive women that will attract college students, but will be able to control a crowd? As much as this sounds like it's a plus for HP's Visibility, I don't think I would entirely approve of this potential new tenant.

I'm not entirely sure what demographic that HP is shooting for, but it would seem that it would be consistent with a more sophisticated consumer with an equal amount of disposable income.

It's my feeling that they're probably going to attract quite a few of the more affluent college students, suburban 20 yr olds, as well as your typical tourist. The only locals that would probably hit the HP are those matching the above description as well as those simply wishing for a night out on the town to do something a bit different celebrating a milestone event (first date, anniversary, etc).

I'm not entirely sure what demographic that HP is shooting for, but it would seem that it would be consistent with a more sophisticated consumer with an equal amount of disposable income.

I'd hope they go for ALL demographics! Downtown can use help from every consumer possible...at least the ones with disposable income, whether that be $5 or $500.

affluent college students...

Isn't that an oxymoron? At least that was my experience at UH.

Having never seen the movie "Coyote ugly", I'm a bit apprehensive about it.

Is it supposed to be a "high end" bar, that will attract young professionals and some college students?

Or is it something of a glorified local bar that will feature attractive women that will attract college students, but will be able to control a crowd?

It's fairly high-end. I think the DC incarnation charged a $10-$15 cover. Not a neighborhood bar, and definitely not a "club." I would call it a concept bar. I would also call a dualing piano bar a concept bar. Think more in terms of tourists and special event crowds. The same crowd that you might find at a Benihana's, a Hard Rock Cafe, or a Rockets game.

The only one I've been to is in San Antonio near the River Walk. Nothing fancy at all there, and if I remeber correctly there was no cover. Nearly half of the space is the bar and the crowd is all college age. It had a 6th street feel to me.

The only one I've been to is in San Antonio near the River Walk. Nothing fancy at all there, and if I remeber correctly there was no cover. Nearly half of the space is the bar and the crowd is all college age. It had a 6th street feel to me.

There's also one on 6th Street.

no cover in NYC or Tampa either. those two locations have completely different atmospheres. I'm imaging a downtown Houston location having a similar crowd as Bar Houston had. It'll just depend on the night, and what events are going on.

no cover in NYC or Tampa either. those two locations have completely different atmospheres. I'm imaging a downtown Houston location having a similar crowd as Bar Houston had. It'll just depend on the night, and what events are going on.

the bar houston comparison is probably very appropriate

the bar houston comparison is probably very appropriate

Agreed in that what I know of Coyote Ugly (from the movie, an episode or two of a related reality TV show, and a brief visit to the N.O. location) is that it's primarily known for its bartenders dancing on the bar. The reality TV show - I want to say it was focused on the opening of the Austin location - showed girls at try-outs for waitress positions and then training to do the dances. Just some context for those who hadn't heard of the chain before.

The one in Austin (on 6th street) started out hot when it first opened. I walked by on a Sat night last summer - there was maybe 20 people (mostly older) in there, and nobody dancing on the bar. It looked pretty tame (and boring). They were playing rock music...

There's one in Vegas too... it was super-packed when it first opened (2002?)... not sure how it's doing now...

all these replies to this? Is there an official announcement or is this some some hearsay hype? " I heard Coyote Ugly is opening up downtown". I won't believe anything until we see some type of source.

I've never been to the Dallas location, but even with the problems in Deep Ellum, Coyote Ugly is still open after tons of other bars have closed. I think the concept (as well as the movie) is cheezy as hell, but people must like them.

I actually don't know how the one in Deep Ellum stays open. Every time I pass by there in the evening/night, there aren't very many people there at all. The company must have some real commitment to that location, or they are profiting some other way that isn't readily visible.

The one in Austin (on 6th street) started out hot when it first opened. I walked by on a Sat night last summer - there was maybe 20 people (mostly older) in there, and nobody dancing on the bar. It looked pretty tame (and boring). They were playing rock music...

There's one in Vegas too... it was super-packed when it first opened (2002?)... not sure how it's doing now...

The Vegas location -- inside New York, New York, I believe -- is still packed. But, that's Vegas. If we had a few hundred thousand Midwestern mouth-breathers walking around looking for places to spend their money, this kind of place might work here, too. It's definitely not a place any local person would want to go.

I don't know if it's official yet, but word-on-the-street has it that Houston Pavillions could be the location.

Actually, the word on the street is that they are NOT going to H. Pavilions, hence the question.

Actually, the word on the street is that they are NOT going to H. Pavilions, hence the question.

I would still like to see them Downtown... even if not at HP... like still on Main street somewhere. You don't want EVERYTHING at HP... you want people to still be able to leave HP and walk somewhere else Downtown... spread some things out a bit.

Archived