Coyote Uglys Downtown

so the out of towners, tourists, and young crowd don't eat or drink? what do you have against local establishments?

I think a mix is healthy. Competition, in this case on a national level will only make operators work harder to have better quality establishments while getting some of the attention that they probably would like to receive from all anyway.bad or good, not everyone is going to like everything and that is ok in my opinion.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a mix is healthy. Competition, in this case on a national level will only make operators work harder to have better quality establishments while getting some of the attention that they probably would like to receive from all anyway.bad or good, not everyone is going to like everything and that is ok in my opinion.

i agree a mix is healthy. toolman said currently it is all local establishments which isn't quite the case.

positioning itself for tourists is probably not the best strategy because for a biz to be successful, you need as much traffic as possible all the time, not just during conventions etc. as for the coyote ugly concept, seems kind of lame from someone who does support downtown businesses.

btw may i ask your age?

I guess GRB has to get busy and make sure their convention halls are booked every week with meaningful events to keep tourists coming in. The question is how much. I just think the way downtown is going right now, it won't be successful getting people from other parts of town to come downtown. There has to be some innovative ideas, so right now i don't see downtown as a good place to hangout. That doesn't mean it won't change if the mayor or whoever is strategizing plans for downtown comes up with something better. One thing they need to do is work with private businesses that own those private parking lots to not charge for parking period! Also, no parking fees after 6pm on ANY day! Those are two things that will at least get my attention to think about coming to downtown.

As far as Coyote Ugly, i think that will at least temporarily bring some spice to downtown, though short-lived. This might encourage other people to come down exploring other bars, shops, etc. BTW, I am 29yrs old.

I guess GRB has to get busy and make sure their convention halls are booked every week with meaningful events to keep tourists coming in. The question is how much. I just think the way downtown is going right now, it won't be successful getting people from other parts of town to come downtown. There has to be some innovative ideas, so right now i don't see downtown as a good place to hangout. That doesn't mean it won't change if the mayor or whoever is strategizing plans for downtown comes up with something better. One thing they need to do is work with private businesses that own those private parking lots to not charge for parking period! Also, no parking fees after 6pm on ANY day! Those are two things that will at least get my attention to think about coming to downtown.

As far as Coyote Ugly, i think that will at least temporarily bring some spice to downtown, though short-lived. This might encourage other people to come down exploring other bars, shops, etc. BTW, I am 29yrs old.

well downtown has been my major hangout since the late 80s'. brewtap, la carafe, power tools, fuzzy's even big tex. i've preferred the area because it wasn't richmond strip which i felt was way too commercialized. i remember going to shepherd square/montrose, etc too. but downtown for me was something more.

as for getting people from other areas to come in, i meet people from all over when i go. if you live in the suburbs, yes it is a drive to go downtown. and that is your choice to do it or not. but if you're one of those that are not likely to do it, then you are also one who would move to a new place when it opens, i find that downtown is a community vs just a place to go. downtown doesn't need anything that is short lived. that is what we have now with all the clubs.

as for the parking situation, the bill white administration is making is more difficult because of the saturday meter charges i know of several lots that used to let you park free in the evenings (in the 90's) but that is no longer done. i know the merchants complained to carol alvarado about this and it went into effect anyway. if parking is a big concern for you, then you're probably out of luck because the future will only be worse. i personally hate to pay to park and i won't in the evenings. if there is no parking, then i go home. i usually go at off hrs anyway so it isn't a problem.

well downtown has been my major hangout since the late 80s'. brewtap, la carafe, power tools, fuzzy's even big tex. i've preferred the area because it wasn't richmond strip which i felt was way too commercialized. i remember going to shepherd square/montrose, etc too. but downtown for me was something more.

as for getting people from other areas to come in, i meet people from all over when i go. if you live in the suburbs, yes it is a drive to go downtown. and that is your choice to do it or not. but if you're one of those that are not likely to do it, then you are also one who would move to a new place when it opens, i find that downtown is a community vs just a place to go. downtown doesn't need anything that is short lived. that is what we have now with all the clubs.

as for the parking situation, the bill white administration is making is more difficult because of the saturday meter charges i know of several lots that used to let you park free in the evenings (in the 90's) but that is no longer done. i know the merchants complained to carol alvarado about this and it went into effect anyway. if parking is a big concern for you, then you're probably out of luck because the future will only be worse. i personally hate to pay to park and i won't in the evenings. if there is no parking, then i go home. i usually go at off hrs anyway so it isn't a problem.

Here is my take. If i'm going to drive 30 miles(from home) to downtown to have fun, at least make my parking a free one considering that i also have to find a spot especially if it is crowded. That is hard enough. I am going to be spending money for alcohol, food, etc and yet i have to pay for parking when i just drove 30 miles? That is a turn off right away for me and i bet i'm not alone.

Now, i work downtown during the day and afterwork on certain days, my co-workers and I will go for happy hour or hangout there. Obviously, that is no problem since i already paid for my parking and it doesn't expire until 24hrs later(Central Parking), so my colleagues and i just walk to the bars, eateries, etc.

Here is my take. If i'm going to drive 30 miles(from home) to downtown to have fun, at least make my parking a free one considering that i also have to find a spot especially if it is crowded. That is hard enough. I am going to be spending money for alcohol, food, etc and yet i have to pay for parking when i just drove 30 miles? That is a turn off right away for me and i bet i'm not alone.

Now, i work downtown during the day and afterwork on certain days, my co-workers and I will go for happy hour or hangout there. Obviously, that is no problem since i already paid for my parking and it doesn't expire until 24hrs later(Central Parking), so my colleagues and i just walk to the bars, eateries, etc.

sounds like you'll be staying in the suburbs. i will repeat, the current adminstration has raised fees for parking as well as expanded hrs that you are required to pay. if you don't want to pay to park then most likely you will also not leave tips for the waiters/waitresses/bartenders, etc. i've seen quite a few people leave terrible tips because they are cheap! i HATE that, just exudes a lack of class IMO. if you want a good downtown, then you must support it.

sounds like you'll be staying in the suburbs. i will repeat, the current adminstration has raised fees for parking as well as expanded hrs that you are required to pay. if you don't want to pay to park then most likely you will also not leave tips for the waiters/waitresses/bartenders, etc. i've seen quite a few people leave terrible tips because they are cheap! i HATE that, just exudes a lack of class IMO. if you want a good downtown, then you must support it.

Yeah, you're right, i will most likely be stayin in the suburbs. I would rather give the parking money to the waitresses then some old gravel, pot holed parking lot.

Going out downtown , IS supporting downtown. I'm sorry I don't think supporting downtown means driving around to find a free parking space and then taking off if you can't find one. icanluv2 actually supports downtown by working and playing downtown, paying for parking, and going out afterwards. how can anyone ask for anything more anyway ? why ask for him/her to go to the suburbs ? that's seems rediculous to tell someone who supports the area.

Going out downtown , IS supporting downtown. I'm sorry I don't think supporting downtown means driving around to find a free parking space and then taking off if you can't find one. icanluv2 actually supports downtown by working and playing downtown, paying for parking, and going out afterwards. how can anyone ask for anything more anyway ? why ask for him/her to go to the suburbs ? that's seems rediculous to tell someone who supports the area.

lets go talk to the kent, carolyn, mike, dan & jaime managers/owners of mkt square b&g, warrens, charbar, treebeards......i'm sure they'll say i support downtown. i usually only go off hrs (cept for treebeards) so i rarely have a difficult time parking anyway. i don't like going when the club kids are out. definitely ruins the atmosphere IMO.

they will also tell you that many of the 20somethings patrons are cheap. it shocks me when someone gives good service, makes 5 or 6 drinks and gets a $2 tip. that is terrible but common.

if you want nice places downtown you won't get (and keep) them if the customers don't have some respect too.

lets go talk to the kent, carolyn, mike, dan & jaime managers/owners of mkt square b&g, warrens, charbar, treebeards......i'm sure they'll say i support downtown. i usually only go off hrs (cept for treebeards) so i rarely have a difficult time parking anyway. i don't like going when the club kids are out. definitely ruins the atmosphere IMO.

they will also tell you that many of the 20somethings patrons are cheap. it shocks me when someone gives good service, makes 5 or 6 drinks and gets a $2 tip. that is terrible but common.

if you want nice places downtown you won't get (and keep) them if the customers don't have some respect too.

yo quiero Taco-Bell ?? what ?

for quality places to open (and remain open), you have to have customers who tip and treat the establishments well.

it depends on what you mean by quality. Taco Bell, mc donalds, burger-king, star-bucks are main-stream quality credit tenants that most landlords would like to have more of downtown in my opinion and they don't require tips. i would think that this would be important to especially those that get bent up about parking fees, because instead of tipping they could buy a taquito with that big tip instead and go home happy with a full tummy !

Of the successful downtowns and urban areas I am familiar with, I cannot think of ANY that got there by offering free parking. If downtown develops with plenty of activities and residences and attractions, people will find parking, even if they have to pay for it. OR, they will park free along a rail line and ride the train into downtown.

it depends on what you mean by quality. Taco Bell, mc donalds, burger-king, star-bucks are main-stream quality credit tenants that most landlords would like to have more of downtown in my opinion and they don't require tips.

evidently the landlord for burger king downtown thinks differently since they just closed. ;)

none of these establishments are on my quality list of places to eat or frequent. i will admit i have been to one of these once this yr. these types of tenants wouldn't make downtown unique IMO. if you have the same chains like everywhere else then there's no reason to go. a unique downtown would give you a reason to go there.

i never drive downtown so i haven't tried this, nor do i know if its still in affect since deda.org is no longer up:

There should be no more whining about parking prices downtown, because there is now a program that makes parking FREE! The Downtown Entertainment District Alliance's Validated Parking Program is now available every Friday and Saturday night. www.DEDA.org is pleased to announce the new Validated Parking Program.

The program, was created in response to your concerns about difficulty in finding safe, affordable parking around the area. It doesn't get more affordable than FREE! Here's how it works: park in either of these two parking garages: Market Square Parking Garage 300 Milam (across from Market Square Park, in the Kim Son building) or in the Chase Parking Garage at 600 Travis.

You will pay $5 to enter and park, but you get $5 back when you get to the bars. You will receive a list of participating venues that will validate the $5 fee with a credit on your food or drink tab or a cash rebate.

Participating venues in the parking program include St. Pete's Dancing Marlin, Opus, M Bar, El Centro, Grasshopper, Shadow Bar, Visions, Flying Saucer, Slainte, Ruby Room, Mia Bella, Cava Bistro, Sambuca, 6

so the out of towners, tourists, and young crowd don't eat or drink? what do you have against local establishments?

I didn't say I had anything agains local establishments - in fact, I prefer them. I'm just saying it wouldn't hurt to have a few popular places for the visitors. I never go to Senor Frogs when I'm in Mexico, but that's who gets most of the business because of the popularity. I have seen some younger kids downtown this week for spring break and they didn't know where to go. Like I said...downtown needs variety.

For example, I don't think a Hooters would hurt downtown at all. Actually, I think it would keep people downtown after work.

evidently the landlord for burger king downtown thinks differently since they just closed. ;)

none of these establishments are on my quality list of places to eat or frequent. i will admit i have been to one of these once this yr. these types of tenants wouldn't make downtown unique IMO. if you have the same chains like everywhere else then there's no reason to go. a unique downtown would give you a reason to go there.

I didn't understand your post ? bk lounge was not the last chain tenant downtown or something ? are you saying that the landlord wishes that he kept burger king them or are you saying something else. burger king does have anothe location downtown and someone else could be taking the space who is willing to pay more...this does happen you know. oh well. w/c

I didn't say I had anything agains local establishments - in fact, I prefer them. I'm just saying it wouldn't hurt to have a few popular places for the visitors. I never go to Senor Frogs when I'm in Mexico, but that's who gets most of the business because of the popularity. I have seen some younger kids downtown this week for spring break and they didn't know where to go. Like I said...downtown needs variety.

For example, I don't think a Hooters would hurt downtown at all. Actually, I think it would keep people downtown after work.

variety is good, but i think hooters would cheapen it. i personally hate the aquarium and won't go there either.

I didn't understand your post ? bk lounge was not the last chain tenant downtown or something ? are you saying that the landlord wishes that he kept burger king them or are you saying something else. burger king does have anothe location downtown and someone else could be taking the space who is willing to pay more...this does happen you know. oh well. w/c

i was simply responding to your post....Taco Bell, mc donalds, burger-king, star-bucks are main-stream quality credit tenants that most landlords would like to have more of downtown

variety is good, but i think hooters would cheapen it. i personally hate the aquarium and won't go there either.

i was simply responding to your post....Taco Bell, mc donalds, burger-king, star-bucks are main-stream quality credit tenants that most landlords would like to have more of downtown

hooters would be great ! change is good...still don't get your prev. post...oh well.

I understand your point. I have to say that some of my co-workers are bad tippers. You gotta think though that if many did not have to pay for parking, much of that money saved would go to waiters and waitresses.

I understand your point. I have to say that some of my co-workers are bad tippers. You gotta think though that if many did not have to pay for parking, much of that money saved would go to waiters and waitresses.

If you didn't have to pay for parking there wouldn't be any place to park. Free parking is not the answer. Readily available hourly parking is the answer.

I'm sorry, but that's a total cop out. if you have enough to blow cash to go out (regardless of where you go) but can't afford to leave a proper tip, then you shouldn't be going out in the first place.

i gotta think that your buddies shouldn't drive anymore and should car-pool instead.

This way they might have some change left over if they meet someone while they are out on the town to buy an ice-cream cone or something.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived