Immanuel Lutheran Church & School At 1440 Cortlandt St.

Evans-Davis

Great to read about that - Kopriva is a good person to have on this..

Sounds like he's already got an uphill battle... With the 99% congregation opposed bit. I find it VERY hard to believe this is true. So they want to knock it down for $60K... Then what??? Parking??? What is wrong with people?

• 1 month later...

Got this e-mail from

------------------------------------

OFFICES OF COUNCIL MEMBERS

SUE LOVELL

EDWARD GONZALEZ

ANOTHER STEP IN PRESERVING HOUSTON HISTORY

Immanuel Lutheran Church in the Heights chooses to save historic sanctuary building

February 11, 2010 - Council Member Sue Lovell, chair of the City of Houston historic preservation committee, and District H City Council Member Edward Gonzalez congratulate the Immanuel Lutheran Church congregation upon its February 10 vote to preserve its historic (dedicated 1932) church sanctuary at 15th and Cortlandt in the Heights.

The building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a wonderful example of early 20th century Gothic Revival architecture and is a landmark in the neighborhood. The decision by the congregation to preserve the sanctuary building and turn it into a museum of Lutheran history is a perfect example of preservation and economic development, Council Member Lovell said.

Council Member Lovell and Council Member Gonzalez want to thank the members of the committee that worked on this preservation issue and the neighbors that got involved.

"We especially thank the people from the neighborhood for caring about preserving the character of their neighborhood," Council Member Lovell said. "The preservation of the Immanuel sanctuary is an answer to our prayers, and now the work begins."

"This was a great collaborative effort by many," Council Member Gonzalez said. "A special thanks goes to the Immanuel Lutheran community for their willingness to embrace historic preservation."

From Nancy: Historic church gets a reprieve from demolition

"Earlier reports today, based on a press release from two City Council members, that the building would become a Lutheran history museum were incorrect, a church leader told Turner. He said this idea was discussed informally but never officially presented to the board

...the board agreed to delay demolition until May to hear other proposals"

• 3 weeks later...

From the GHPA:

Immanuel Lutheran congregation votes to renovate historic church

The congregation of Immanuel Lutheran Church voted last night to halt the demolition of its former sanctuary and to commit $150,000 toward renovating the historic Heights-area church. The Gothic Revival building on Cortlandt Street at East 15th Street will be used as flex space to accommodate church functions and Immanuel Lutheran School activities as well as community events.

This is one case where the 90-day waiting period for demolition worked. Since the church is a contributing building in the Houston Heights (East) Historic District, the request to raze the building had to go before the Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission. Commissioners denied the application, giving community leaders the opportunity to work with church officials to find alternatives to demolishing the historic building. Without the public notice required in the preservation ordinance, the demolition could have proceeded without warning.

From the GHPA:

"Immanuel Lutheran congregation votes to renovate historic church"

Good for them! We rejoice, Immanuel!

This was a tough decision. Neighborhood church's are not rolling money. They exist because people want to commune in a more intimate environment (not with several thousand of their best friends). Efficiency and spiritual pursuit do not always follow hand-in-hand.

Certainly, they had a lot community pressure to preserve this special asset. However, they also voted to make their community more connected with its neighborhood. They voted to keep something that makes their campus something really great. I applaud them.

They will need help to make this happen. We should support the cause. I am sure restricted gifts would be welcome. [Everything counts in small amounts].

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Just wondering if there are any HAIFers that attended Immanuel, either the church or the school. I am in search of a friend that I have lost touch with in the last 10 years, and would like to find out if she and her family are doing okay. Her name is Kelly Kuehnle. If anyone here knows her, please let me know.

I attended Immanuel myself, and have recently heard the school has been closed. If you attended Immanuel's church or school, stories of your experiences as a Panther would be great to discuss here as well.

Just wondering if there are any HAIFers that attended Immanuel, either the church or the school. I am in search of a friend that I have lost touch with in the last 10 years, and would like to find out if she and her family are doing okay. Her name is Kelly Kuehnle. If anyone here knows her, please let me know.

I attended Immanuel myself, and have recently heard the school has been closed. If you attended Immanuel's church or school, stories of your experiences as a Panther would be great to discuss here as well.

I have a friend who attends and has for many years. I will ask if he knows your friend. I will send a PM if his response is positive.

• The title was changed to Immanuel Lutheran Church And School Alumni
  • The title was changed to Immanuel Lutheran Church & School At 1440 Cortlandt St.

Archived