Grace Church Houston At 14505 Gulf Fwy.

sheeats

There's a difference between cheap and inexpensive. I didn't say cheap. I said inexpensive. Target has inexpensive items. Wal-mart has cheap items.

It would be hard for them to defend spending millions of dollars on a monument and not supporting charities, and giving, helping heal the world, etc. They're still doing that... and had enough left over to build a cross for their church.

Also... even though 170 to 200 feet seems "big" ... not as big as you think. As I said, it would be different story had they made it out of granite, towering 500 feet into the air, forcing air traffic diversions... but that's not what they did...

Drive by it. I did. I told myself: "I'm supposed to be angry at this! .... " but I just didn't feel anger. I don't know what else to say.

[Citation needed] What was the price, including permits from the COH and FAA? If you don't know, how can you say how inexpensive it was?

Good to know that the world's poverty, hunger, pain and suffering has been alleviated, leaving funds available to build an inexpensive idol.

But is it? Would you not consider it part of their church? Kinda like their building? And their parking lot? Or should have they have to sit out in the middle of a field and walk to church barefoot in order to lend any credence to them alleviating the world's poverty, hunger, pain, and suffering?

[Citation needed] What was the price, including permits from the COH and FAA? If you don't know, how can you say how inexpensive it was?

You should go to church. And ask them.

But is it? Would you not consider it part of their church? Kinda like their building? And their parking lot? Or should have they have to sit out in the middle of a field and walk to church barefoot in order to lend any credence to them alleviating the world's poverty, hunger, pain, and suffering?

In a word, YES.

17As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" 18"Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good

I would gather to say that people of Sagemont church have different view. You'll never convince anyone, on any issue, for or against, quoting or interpreting scripture. ...and by the looks of their web site... and what they've spent money on, over the past 30 years... I would say it was probably a drop in the bucket for them.

Maybe, due to this

I'm tempted to keep egging you on, as each of your posts is better than the last. But, alas, I have tired of commenting on the pagan idols of the baptists. Lucky for you...and for me...you live down there, and I do not. So, you can be awed by the idol, yet it will not even "cross" my mind. Sounds like a win-win.

Like I said... I had views exactly like yours... I was supposed to be disgusted by such a gratuitous display... but the dislike/anger just wasn't there. Their church sits on 25+ acres. Cross is not so big, when you take that into account... All I said when I drove by it was: Wow! ... not Wow! I hate it! or Wow! I love it! ... just indifferent to it.

Maybe, due to this "small" monetary investment (as compared to their budget; they're spending millions in $$ on other facilities - cash), they would have attracted more members, not only paying for the cross, but adding, even more money, to give to humanitarian causes! So it pays for itself and it feeds more of the poor!

You know, I like our church, but I really just don't feel that this church's cross is big enough. I'm going to go become a member at Sagemont instead. Now those are some guys who really know how to build a cross.

This is the line of reasoning that you're using to say that a big cross will bring in new members and revenue streams?

You know, I like our church, but I really just don't feel that this church's cross is big enough. I'm going to go become a member at Sagemont instead. Now those are some guys who really know how to build a cross.

This is the line of reasoning that you're using to say that a big cross will bring in new members and revenue streams?

As strange as it seems... it probably will... the mega-church business is a business. Sagemont launched a sneak attack on Grace... and now they will get the spoils of this "big" competition...

I'm not saying I agree with these churches. I differ with their philosophy, not what they build in their front yard...

By the way... have you driven by it or not? I know its at B-8 and 45... I know your types might need to pack a sack lunch for that kind of travel outside of 610... but have you driven by it? I was a hater of the idea of big crosses... until I drove by and saw it really wasn't that bad.

sorry, i must disagree. if the christian community wants to cheapen their faith by ridiculous symbols over substance, ridicule and cheap shots should be expected. like begets like. cheesy crosses require ugly responses. if god's work is nothing more than a symbol of "marked territory", no one should be amazed that people of little faith disregard these "symbols". good intentions are not action. building a symbol of christ's death does nothing for the person dying of cancer or losing their career. loving one's neighbor as one loves their own family does more for the soul than a hundred big ass crosses. stupid, dumb ass, christians. work where you are. love those near to you. quit building pagan symbols that have nothing to do with real spirituality.

Why is the cross a rediculous symbol of faith? And how do you know that the church doesn't have substance with it's giving? Your talking about something that your clearly biased about, and YOUR argument is the one with little substance, at least until you can provide me with numbers on giving by the church. You and others here deem the cross rediculous, or call it cheesy, while others in the community may not. Maybe it gives certain individuals hope which in turn brings them to a point of giving. Maybe it gives some the inspiration to be a better person, which in turn causes them to visit the sick. And maybe, just Maybe the people wanted a portion of their giving to go to the cross, and maybe for reasons you don't understand. So To say that it's ok to mock the person that many believe is the Messiah, when you don't know the personal motivation, is wrong, period.

Why do you automatically assume that Christians are not taking care of they're faith at home when they decide they want to put a cross up? I don't care how many you know that don't live the life, which is the common answer. How do you know that this particular church doesn't live according to their beliefs? Also, Even if they're crooks, and idots, that doesn't mean that Jesus isn't who he claimed to be, and if he is, then mocking him with such offense is pretty scary. Of course you sound like your mind is already made up about that, so it's probably a pointless statement on my end.

Finally, I can't believe that a moderator is allowed to use such offensive terms like "stupid dumb ass Christians". This forum, which I used to enjoy very much, has become a haven for badmouthing Christianity, conservatism, and is filled with smart ass comentators that I can bet wouldn't say much of this while in the same room with me.

Forgive me for being this bold Wayne, but continuing to allow this kind of stuff on an architectural forum is beyond me. At this point I will no longer post at HAIF, which I'm sure will devastate many. NOT!

EDIT: Cue Red's rant...

Edited by Gary

Finally, I can't believe that a moderator is allowed to use such offensive terms like "stupid dumb ass Christians". This forum, which I used to enjoy very much, has become a haven for badmouthing Christianity, conservatism, and is filled with smart ass comentators that I can bet wouldn't say much of this while in the same room with me.

Turn the other cheek, pal.

If you are going to advocate censorship of those views with which you disagree, I say good riddance.

(yes, I'll say it to your face as well).

Cencorship? It's called having a little class, and not being a constant anti Christian prick. You might want to take a look at your own signature to see what I'm talking about.

Red, you and your little click have fun. Oh, and I play around town all the time (Continental, etc), so come on by and say hey, and we'll have that conversation face to face. Just check my website for dates. Or you can PM me, and we can do it that way.

For what? I never said I was a Christian.

Edited by Gary

perhaps i should have made it clear that i consider myself "christian". when i denounce wrong behaviour of christians, i'm including myself. what good does it do to build huge ass freakin' crosses? donate to habitat for humanity or aids relief in africa. there are a hundred different ways to do god's work rather than waste money on a symbol. i'm worked up because of ridiculous crap people come up with who call themselves followers of christ.

i apologize for name calling. it is simply because i hate to be tied to people who do dumb stuff. i will edit my statement.

perhaps i should have made it clear that i consider myself "christian". when i denounce wrong behaviour of christians, i'm including myself. what good does it do to build huge ass freakin' crosses? donate to habitat for humanity or aids relief in africa. there are a hundred different ways to do god's work rather than waste money on a symbol. i'm worked up because of ridiculous crap people come up with who call themselves followers of christ.

i apologize for name calling. it is simply because i hate to be tied to people who do dumb stuff. i will edit my statement.

Again, your making huge assumptions of what that cross may mean to others, which in turn may spur more good than you think.

I'm out.

Edited by Gary

Again, your making huge assumptions of what that cross may mean to others, which in turn may spur more good than you think.

I'm out.

once again gary, good intention is not action. i have an emotional reaction when i see a cross. this is not reality. it is learned behaviour. living the "cross" is being available to neighbors or family members in need. if someone needs a giant cross to get them motivated, they don't get it. sorry, genuine people don't need waste of money motivators.

i feel we have the same motives, gary. however, i do not hold dear church culture. i apologize for offending you.

Cencorship? It's called having a little class, and not being a constant anti Christian prick.

FWIW, I agree with you that a lot of the guys on here are too quick to generalize and dismiss all Christians. The fact is that they come in all flavors. Some are annoying as hell, yet some are great people to know. Some can be both! Some of them would utilize any tools at their disposal to force their religion on others, yet many are grateful for the form of government that we have, including that there is a separation of church and state. Many are confused or misguided, many are quite settled on their beliefs and are on the straight and narrow.

I am not Christian, and reject the notion that the Bible should be read literally (I'd have been struck by lightning soooo many times by now if it were). But even among people that do try to read the Bible literally, it provides many of them structure and a kind of satisfaction that they wouldn't otherwise have. I will forever fight any attempt on anybody's part to force that belief system upon me, but I don't begrudge them their own spirituality. In fact, it pleases me that they are happy with it...their happiness is more enjoyable than the alternative.

Edited by TheNiche

Why do you automatically assume that Christians are not taking care of they're faith at home when they decide they want to put a cross up? I don't care how many you know that don't live the life, which is the common answer. How do you know that this particular church doesn't live according to their beliefs? Also, Even if they're crooks, and idots, that doesn't mean that Jesus isn't who he claimed to be, and if he is, then mocking him with such offense is pretty scary. Of course you sound like your mind is already made up about that, so it's probably a pointless statement on my end.

I guess I'm just thoroughly confused about what you're trying to say here... is it better that one mock Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, or some other faith besides Christianity? Your view is one-sided. And you seem to be showing a close-mindedness of your own that my Bible (and any of the versions that I have owned) don't display or teach within. I'm offended when someone insults Christianity, but I would rather speak to them and use that as an opportunity to change or refine their views, than immediately point the finger in reprimand. That whole "holier-than-thou" stuff is what's harming Christianity in the first place.

As a fellow "stupid dum-ass Christian", I have no objection to Grace's cross... nor would I support it. That money could easily go to something else. And I agree that the likelihood that an outward and all-too visible sign of one's faith has little or nothing to do with that tasks that that faith is supposed to accomplish. Being Christian is about being a follower of Christ, and a servant to others. This cross, which IMO achieves neither of these purposes, may as well be the suringe antennae at the Medical Center. It'll be tall, it'll be pointy, and people are probably going to look at it as they zoom by in their cars.

Does anyone know the cost of the Sagemont cross? The Effingham cross (28ft taller) was apparently around $1,000,000 and is made of 180 (?) tons of steel - Sagemont's is only 90 tons though.

The only financial stuff I could find about anything wasn't about the cross, but was kind of...interesting:

-The debt was paid in 14 months; and just a few months later, 300 families gave their total income for 40 days to the Lord

Keep this on topic, people. This thread is about the crosses, not about the validity of religion or debating particular kinds of religion.

Amen to that.

By the way they just aired the dedication on the news minutes ago. Man, that thing is dangerously, way too big. :blink: Wonder how deep in the ground the beams went?

The old saying "The bigger they are the harder they fall". This is over the top.