Smooth Jazz 95.7 The Wave R.I.P.

JFive

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't listened to local radio in 4 years, XM has everything I need. No way I can go back.

I take my XM to work and it's on all day, I got tired of the gallery furniture commercials.Plus i even subscribe to weather and traffic on my Kenwood DNX 7100 My 10 year old cousin went to see "Mac" and said he was a jerk...Go figure :)

Another XM'er here. I got my subscription in December, and there's no turning back! I'm hearing songs on there that corresponding terrestial radio stations in Houston don't play, not to mention the interesting radio shows, and being able to drive from city to city without losing the signal. I hardly listen to my CDs anymore either, it's worth every penny.

I'm one of those people that wishes 95.7 had played real jazz. Actually they did, but for only 2 hours once a week on Sunday nights. But I'm still kind of sad to see it go. Then again I'm still recovering from the format change of KBME a few years ago-- I loved that station.

Absolutely. HD Radio is the AM Stereo of this era. Remember how well AM Stereo went over? Didn't think so.

Poorly, and I'm not sure why.

I have an AM stereo Sony Walkman. I'm surprised how much of a difference it makes. There's a switch to go back-and-forth between regular AM and AM Stereo and you can really hear a difference. On a regular non-AM Stereo station that's properly locked in it sounds much better. On an actual AM Stereo station it sounds significantly different.

I think the reason AM stereo didn't go anywhere is because the government didn't mandate that it be built into radios, like the way the 1610-1710 portion of the AM dial was mandated, or the 88.1-91.9 mandate on the FM side. I don't know if there's an HD Radio mandate or not, but if there isn't we'll see HD Radio fade away like so many other interesting, but poorly executed, ideas.

Another XM'er here. I got my subscription in December, and there's no turning back! I'm hearing songs on there that corresponding terrestial radio stations in Houston don't play, not to mention the interesting radio shows, and being able to drive from city to city without losing the signal. I hardly listen to my CDs anymore either, it's worth every penny.

As one who laments losing 95.7 the Wave, which should I go with XM or Sirrius? Do they both have smooth jazz channels? If they merge, will the Sat radio I go with work with the new merged station?

I have an ipod with 23,000 songs of every genre. I enjoyed listening to The Wave when I didn't want to fidget with it and also to be introduced to new artists like Candy Dulfer and Chris Botti.

I would ask those who complain that smooth jazz is "elevator music" truly give it a try (start with Dulfer, Botti, and Dav Koz). You will find, that they are talented individuals and that this music really gets to you after a while. I too am a traditional jazz fan and admire artists such as Coltrane, Davis, and the like.

As one who laments losing 95.7 the Wave, which should I go with XM or Sirrius? Do they both have smooth jazz channels? If they merge, will the Sat radio I go with work with the new merged station?

I have an ipod with 23,000 songs of every genre. I enjoyed listening to The Wave when I didn't want to fidget with it and also to be introduced to new artists like Candy Dulfer and Chris Botti.

I would ask those who complain that smooth jazz is "elevator music" truly give it a try (start with Dulfer, Botti, and Dav Koz). You will find, that they are talented individuals and that this music really gets to you after a while. I too am a traditional jazz fan and admire artists such as Coltrane, Davis, and the like.

I have XM and occasionally I listen to a couple of the Jazz channels when I'm in mellow mood. Then again, I also listen to bluegrass when I'm "Mellow" so go fig. If they merge, people will keep their respective equipment, it will just be the channels that might be changed around a bit.

I've got XM, and I don't know for sure but I'm guessing they offer about the same on musical channels. Decades, genres, etc. The reason I'm sticking with XM right now is they have major league baseball. Every team, every game. During the season you've basically got 15 games a day. Sirius has NFL, but I'm always home on Sundays anyway. Baseball is more of a radio sport I think. I haven't heard of timing on the merger of the content, I should look it up.

I have XM, and I like their jazz station. Don't know about sirius though.

Sirius has a few jazz stations that range from the "Smooth Jazz" you hear on terrestrial radio to a pair of really quite respectable jazz stations. But where Sirius really shines is with the Blues station. It's really well done. Even the Bluegrass station is good. I'm not a Bluegrass fan, but I've found myself listening for a while when I'm surfing channels.

I have Sirius for Howard. The music channels are vastly superior to local FM, but I think XM has a slightly better playlist for most genres. I think you can check them both out online to see which one suits you best. I know there's a site (dogstarradio.com, I think) that logs every song played on every Sirius channel.

Looks like I don't have to make a choice now:

Justice Dept Approves XM-Sirius Deal

Mar 24 03:20 PM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Justice Department approved Sirius Satellite Radio's $5 billion buyout of rival XM Satellite Radio on Monday, saying the deal was unlikely to hurt competition or consumers.

The deal was approved despite opposition from consumer groups and an intense lobbying campaign by the land-based radio industry.

[Edited by Editor for copyright reasons.]

Only the stations I listen to seem to die in Houston.

In the 90s it was 102.5 FM where Paul Berlin used to play big band, Sinatra, etc...

A few years ago Berlin was gone again from 790 AM

Now the wave. =(

If I forgot to take the MP3 player with me the wave was the only station left I would listen to.

• 11 months later...
KHJZ Houston ended it's Smooth Jazz format today at 5:30 PM in order to prepare for the launch of Top 40/CHR station "Hot 95.7" tomorrow at 3 PM. KHJZ was Houston's third attempt at Smooth Jazz, the first on a city grade signal. "Hot 95.7" is set to compete with legendary 104 KRBE, which has been leaning in an adult direction since 2006.

http://www.khjz.com/

http://radioinsight.com/boards/index.php?t...83f4fce14a31a8b

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php/topic,94785.0.html

Well,

Here we go again

On Thursday, March 26th, 2009 the station started running format change promos by the Station Manager. Dave Morales put the Station Manager on-air (unknown to him) to ask why...and what was going on. The station manager just passed the buck and blamed CBS management and could not provide further information. When he found out he was on-air he slammed down the phone. The changeover is supposed to take place at 6:00am Central time on Monday, March 30th, 2009. Although rumors say it will be an Urban station, similar to KBXX (97.9 The Box) and the defunct KPTY Party 93.3 (and if the change to an urban station comes true, most of the old staff at 93.3 will be working at 95.7), but many calls to the management or e-mails to the management are currently bilingual, hinting that they're pursuing a Latino format, although the new format is quite unknown, because The Pussycat Dolls are scheduled to appear in studio on Monday, the day the switch will be taking place.

Well,

Here we go again

On Thursday, March 26th, 2009 the station started running format change promos by the Station Manager. Dave Morales put the Station Manager on-air (unknown to him) to ask why...and what was going on. The station manager just passed the buck and blamed CBS management and could not provide further information. When he found out he was on-air he slammed down the phone. The changeover is supposed to take place at 6:00am Central time on Monday, March 30th, 2009. Although rumors say it will be an Urban station, similar to KBXX (97.9 The Box) and the defunct KPTY Party 93.3 (and if the change to an urban station comes true, most of the old staff at 93.3 will be working at 95.7), but many calls to the management or e-mails to the management are currently bilingual, hinting that they're pursuing a Latino format, although the new format is quite unknown, because The Pussycat Dolls are scheduled to appear in studio on Monday, the day the switch will be taking place.

Oh myy God. I listen to Hot 95.7 almost everyday. Its way better than 104.1. Why?!?!

:(

Well,

Here we go again

I hope its Urban. I listen to 95.7 when KBXX is on commercial or if they are playing Urban. If its a Spanish station I will be pissed!

I hope its Urban. I listen to 95.7 when KBXX is on commercial or if they are playing Urban. If its a Spanish station I will be pissed!

There are so many variations in spanish- language format these days, I'm surprised there aren't more hybrid stations. reggaeton (like dancehall) is completely urban, just not in English.

I gave up on Houston radio diversity about 4 years ago. Satellite radio is the shiznizzle.

I made the jump to XM about five years ago. Can't imagine ever listening to local radio again. Prior to XM, the only thing I ever bothered with was sports talk. Even then it was only during baseball season. I have the XM Roady. I use it at home, in the car, and at work everyday.Plus, I can listen online if I forget the Roady at home or work.

Huge bonus for me - XM carries every baseball game, all season long. I haven't missed an Astros spring training game yet Even though several of them were worth missing. ;)

I decided to make the XM plunge last month and I havn't listeded to terrestial radio every since. I just love "Watercolors" on Channel 71...just like 95.7 before the switch...but without the commericals!

I was listening to 95.7 FM this week and happened to hear one of the DJs mention there is an upcoming format change slated for Monday. Anyone have any info on the new format?

We'll all find out 6:00 a.m. tomorrow.

No one knows. Not even the current DJ's.

Maybe soon to be former.

We'll all find out 6:00 a.m. tomorrow.

No one knows. Not even the current DJ's.

Maybe soon to be former.

That has to be a shuddy experience for the DJs no? I mean, they could come in tomorrow and find out they have to play polka or something...

...and love it.

I decided to make the XM plunge last month and I havn't listeded to terrestial radio every since. I just love "Watercolors" on Channel 71...just like 95.7 before the switch...but without the commericals!

About the only time I really listen to 'radio' is in the car. At home, it's mainly either streaming music or podcasts on iTunes.

That has to be a shuddy experience for the DJs no? I mean, they could come in tomorrow and find out they have to play polka or something...

...and love it.

About the only time I really listen to 'radio' is in the car. At home, it's mainly either streaming music or podcasts on iTunes.

Something smells like Sam Malone. . . that'd be scary!

I remember him saying that he has to wait a certain period of time before return to the air waves.

Sam: Well, I have to get to my kid's school, but other than that... [laughs]. I have to sit out my non-compete (clause in contract that says host will not work at another Houston radio station for a determined period of time) which I did last time, and then I'll be back. The non-competes are immensely strict to the point where the whole [deal with the new station] could just collapse if you say the wrong thing.

I think its just a way to get people listening. Is the change 6am or pm? I thought it was pm? If its am it probably will be a Sam Malone Morning Show. At this point I don't think its a format change (though I wish it was to Hip Hop). They even have the puppy Cat Dolls coming on in the evening so that can't fool nobody saying they are changing formats.

I think its just a way to get people listening. Is the change 6am or pm? I thought it was pm? If its am it probably will be a Sam Malone Morning Show. At this point I don't think its a format change (though I wish it was to Hip Hop). They even have the puppy Cat Dolls coming on in the evening so that can't fool nobody saying they are changing formats.

The Wikipedia article on KKHH was updated to say that the PCD event at Hot 95.7 studios was canceled, no citation though to confirm.

On Thursday, March 26th, 2009 the station started running format change promos by the Station Manager. Dave Morales put the Station Manager on-air (unknown to him) to ask why...and what was going on. The station manager just passed the buck and blamed CBS management and could not provide further information. When he found out he was on-air he slammed down the phone. The changeover is supposed to take place at 6:00am Central time on Monday, March 30th, 2009. Although rumors say it will be an Urban station, similar to KBXX (97.9 The Box) and the defunct KPTY Party 93.3 (and if the change to an urban station comes true, most of the old staff at 93.3 will be working at 95.7), but many calls to the management or e-mails to the management are currently bilingual, hinting that they're pursuing a Latino format, however The Pussycat Dolls are scheduled to appear in studio on Monday, the day the switch will be taking place, but the appearance has been canceled.

Archived