The Langley: Residential High-Rise At 1717 Bissonnet St.

musicman

On 9/23/2023 at 4:27 PM, strickn said:

The langleyites and the residents of X can have a friendly treehouse rivalry

As shown in the third and especially second photos

We'll call them the Hamptons (south west and south east)

Everybody stay crabby out there!

I'd love to see a zipline installed between the two!

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, samagon said:

I'd love to see a zipline installed between the two!

In these last two photos I see that the X is farther away than I realized.  It’s on the other side of the ZaZa (Warwick) Hotel.  Instead of it I was looking at the building going up by Richmond & Woodhead, so please update your carabiner accordingly.

I’m sure Bob Hope would have liked the view from the Warwick’s zipline too.

Initially I wasn't too excited about this (not a NIMBY, I just wish it was on a main street like Kirby, Montrose, or Main st instead of hidden in a neighborhood), but wow this is really going to impact and expand our skyline since there aren't much buildings around! 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BWAHAHAHA, glad to see this project still going. NIMBYs can stuff it.

Now if only we can them to recognize the connection between the "problems" associated with the increased developments, and the city's lingering regulations regarding parking mandates (which need to be axed ASAP, they are the number one rule that is limiting Houston's infill potential).

• Like 9

On 6/17/2023 at 6:39 AM, 004n063 said:

Minimum lot size, minimum parking requirements, and setback requirements have combined to reinforce sprawl citywide. Add in lots of neighborhood deed restrictions in relatively close-in neighborhoods, and you get the situation we're in, where we're indiscriminately building 20, 30, even 40 miles out from the city center, and then trying to maintain infrastructure that serves all of that inefficiency. 

But with true zoning, it'd be even worse - no taquerias in the neighborhood, no renovations on old 8-plexes that were grandfathered in (this is still an issue with parking mins), et cetera. 

I'm all for noise ordinances, neighborhood quiet hours, etc. - as long as they are maintained at the neighborhood level - and as a teacher whose school is about 15 feet from a highway, next to an auto body shop, and across the street from a sheet metal factory, I'm certainly open to the idea of segregating certain types of uses. But separating all commercial uses from all residential (which is typical of most zoning codes) and barring multifamily development from all but a few areas (which is common of many zoning codes) is bad news and contributes to the insane housing markets we see in nearly every other major city.

That said, I'm confused about these parts in bold. While I do agree that the lingering building regulation can stymie ideal urbanist's environment, Houston doesn't even segregate housing types (in addition to lack mandated residential, commercial, etc separations).

Hence, I don't see any legality stopping a huge surge of "middle housing" in Houston in case density is needed. The overall lack of absolute density restrictions in the city can yeild apartment towers where needed (hence highrises in Montrose, even River Oaks at Huntingdon).

The ETJs/suburban areas have deeds of their own, as well as larger minimum lot sizes compared to city center. Parking mandates were also not present at all in the city until 1989/1990 period, I believe.

So, basically, I'm not sure how much developers are actuall prevented in building new infill in Houston given the lingering regulations. Or if they simply go for the suburbia green-fields due to being enabled by state legislature's highway building (via imposing highway focus on TXDOT).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...