Sign in to follow this  
WesternGulf

Westheimer Tower

nate    184

The Four Leaf Towers do not have balconies.

ProHouston    16
Balconies would just ____ up the whole look of the building.

I'm not saying that this building should have balconies, it would take away from the design. However, if I were in the market for a high rise condo, I wouldn't buy a unit without a balcony. That's one of the biggest reasons to be in a high rise, to walk out on the balcony and have a view.

I think this design should be for a commercial building, not residential.

jdbaker    17
I'm not saying that this building should have balconies, it would take away from the design. However, if I were in the market for a high rise condo, I wouldn't buy a unit without a balcony. That's one of the biggest reasons to be in a high rise, to walk out on the balcony and have a view.

I think this design should be for a commercial building, not residential.

Have you ever lived in building with a balcony? They're very overrated. Balconies offer zero privacy and they obstruct your view, which is the real reason to live in a highrise. If you want fresh air open a window or go for a walk.

Have you ever lived in building with a balcony? They're very overrated. Balconies offer zero privacy and they obstruct your view, which is the real reason to live in a highrise. If you want fresh air open a window or go for a walk.

I live in a building with balconies. Most buildings do not have continuous balconies, therefore, in most buildings the balcony obstructs only some views, and well designed balconies are not an obstruction IMHO. Opening windows for fresh air is a bad idea in most hi-rise buildings -- interferes with pressurization and HVAC balances in the building. I won't go into details, but I enjoy entertaining and certain pleasures on my balcony that are not an option on a walk. :wub:

nmainguy    4

There's a market for both...look at Four Leaf.

Besides, the illustration is VERY preliminary.

Triton    9,076
That things looks just as horrid as that Dubai tower.

I have to agree. However, I personally doubt that this is the final design for the tower. And even if it is the final design, it's better to get something than nothing at all. ;)

KinkaidAlum    2,258

Places with few or no balconies;

Four Leaf Towers

The Warwick

1400 Hermann

The Park Lane

The Spires

Museum Tower

Seven Riverway

Lofts on Post Oak

TheNiche    965

Four Leaf Towers

The Warwick

1400 Hermann

The Park Lane

The Spires

Museum Tower

Seven Riverway

Lofts on Post Oak

Museum Tower has lots of balconies, as will the new Park One tower. Finger knows how to sell high-end product. 7 Riverway, The Spires, and others have adequate numbers of balconies, too, but they are tastefully integrated into the design. And that's really the critical thing, here, is that they can have them but not ruin the design. You cited the Parklane as having "few or no balconies," but it probably has one of the highest ratios of balcony footage per floor perimeter footage of any highrise in town! They're just designed well.

09.jpg

012.jpg

floor_elevation.jpg

floor_4.gif

editor    674
Have you ever lived in building with a balcony? They're very overrated.

I've lived in high-rises both with and without balconies anywhere from the 21st to the 50th floors. I prefer a balcony, but don't find that not having one makes enough of a difference to choose one place over another. The only thing I've ever used a balcony for is growing plants.

Still, this argument makes no sense.

Balconies offer zero privacy

Since when is a balcony's purpose to protect your privacy? That's what walls are for. Right now I'm looking out my living room window at the building next door, and the apartments without balconies I can see right into. The ones with balconies (even though they have glass railings) are at least somewhat obscured because people have plants and barbecues and tables and chairs on them.

and they obstruct your view, which is the real reason to live in a highrise.

If I stand right against my windows (floor-to-ceiling windows) I can see about 120 degrees left and right, up and down. If I had a balcony I could lean over and see 180 degrees or more. How does a balcony restrict the view?

If you want fresh air open a window or go for a walk.

Rain. Heat. Cold. Wind. Fatigue. There are lots of reasons to use a balcony instead of walking. Why do you think people sit on their porches? It's the same thing. People like to survey the world around them from the comfort of their own domain. If you told someone sitting on a porch that they're better off going for a walk, they'll look at you like you're crazy.

There are a lot of reasons to dislike balconies, but yours don't make any sense.

TheNiche    965
If I stand right against my windows (floor-to-ceiling windows) I can see about 120 degrees left and right, up and down. If I had a balcony I could lean over and see 180 degrees or more. How does a balcony restrict the view?

In all fairness, balconies do tend to disrupt the view, but only from the interior. And since that is where high-rise residents tend to spend the bulk of their time, that can make a difference.

kyle    4

while i like the houses by this same person, I think the tower is not attractive at all

Houston19514    2,446

Four Leaf Towers

The Warwick

1400 Hermann

The Park Lane

The Spires

Museum Tower

Seven Riverway

Lofts on Post Oak

Your list needs some major editing. Every unit in The Park Lane has a balcony. I think the same is true for The Spires. Seven Riverway appears to have a lot of balconies and I think The Warwick does as well. Same goes for Lofts on Post Oak. As Niche also mentioned, Museum Tower has balconies all over the place.

KinkaidAlum    2,258

Ooops, sorry. My memory is failing me. I haven't been to Houston since last fall so I was going off of the images in my head.

nmainguy    4
Your list needs some major editing. Every unit in The Park Lane has a balcony. I think the same is true for The Spires. Seven Riverway appears to have a lot of balconies and I think The Warwick does as well. Same goes for Lofts on Post Oak. As Niche also mentioned, Museum Tower has balconies all over the place.

As I've said previously, balconies are relevant to the tenants. I have a couple of older friends that live in Four Leaf. They moved there for the amenities and the views-not because they did or didn't have balconys. Conversly, I have younger friends who live in Park IV who initially loved their 10th floor east facing balconies. One of them does and the other would rather have the additional square footage rather than a balcony. There's a mix of potential buyers and there is no reason why buildings with no balconies trump those with balconies. Should Westheimer Tower without balconies be succesfull-great.

However, if you look at the elevations, there is any number of possible balconies at the offsets. I'd just love to see something like this to go up so I'd have a full service place to retire to.

B)

marc    0

Having never lived in anything over 5 storeys; those who know, how is it on a balcony in a say,

15-50 storey highrise? I would LOVE to be able to sit outside on pleasant days, sipping some libation and just watching the world from a bird's eye view. Sounds wonderful. BUT, does it get too windy to do this after around the 20 storey mark?

I am curious, because when i move back to Houston i want to either live DT or UT in a highrise, but want the ups and downs of it before i do. Make sense? I need all the honest input i can get.

Thanks,

m. B)

TheNiche    965
Having never lived in anything over 5 storeys; those who know, how is it on a balcony in a say,

15-50 storey highrise? I would LOVE to be able to sit outside on pleasant days, sipping some libation and just watching the world from a bird's eye view. Sounds wonderful. BUT, does it get too windy to do this after around the 20 storey mark?

I am curious, because when i move back to Houston i want to either live DT or UT in a highrise, but want the ups and downs of it before i do. Make sense? I need all the honest input i can get.

Thanks,

m. B)

I haven't spent a lot of time on highrise balconies, but I've experienced balconies at about 8 stories and on the 33rd-story penthouse at 1200 Post Oak, as well as the from the 40th-floor 'hat' of 1500 Louisiana (the newer Enron building), and the roof of Central Bank. Most experiences were surprisingly serene. Traffic noise dissipates once you're far enough up there and smaller buildings and single-family homes just look almost like toys.

Although it is exceptionally hard to justify the expense, I do wish I could live in one. ...I might just have to come up with my own creative solution to make it happen, though. No further comment. ;):ph34r:

Jax    629

I have a balcony on the 3rd floor - not very high but very different from my last apartment which was a ground level garage apartment. The biggest difference I notice is there are NO MOSQUITOS up here and at my old place, I'd get bitten every time I opened the door from April until until December!!! Maybe that was because my landlords had a poorly landscaped yard with lots of puddles and standing water, or because there were more trees, but whatever the reason, a 3rd floor balcony is way better than a small 1st floor yard. There is also a very slight breeze up here, as compared to ground level. I could only imagine a higher balcony would have less mosquito problems and a better breeze, definitely good things.

Edited by Jax

marc    0

:D thanks TheNiche. Boy you have been around. I would LOVE to go to the top of the former Enron Tower II. How were you able to do that? Is there an observation deck for the pubic, or do you have connections?

Anyway, thanks for the info. By the way, your last part was very............clandestine. ;)

m.

moni    1
I have a balcony on the 3rd floor - not very high but very different from my last apartment which was a ground level garage apartment. The biggest difference I notice is there are NO MOSQUITOS up here and at my old place, I'd get bitten every time I opened the door from April until until December!!! Maybe that was because my landlords had a poorly landscaped yard with lots of puddles and standing water, or because there were more trees, but whatever the reason, a 3rd floor balcony is way better than a small 1st floor yard. There is also a very slight breeze up here, as compared to ground level. I could only imagine a higher balcony would have less mosquito problems and a better breeze, definitely good things.

You are right Jax, the higher up the apartment, the fewer mosquitos and above the 5th floor, NO MOSQUITOS! Something to market I think. BTW, I reviewed your flickr photos, the very best ever, you are such a pro.