MidtownCoog

Where is the closest grocery store in that area? I'm considering moving into an area along the light rail as I might be working at the TMC and was just trying to get an idea of what day-to-day life might be living in the downtown area. Thanks.

Also, Spec's (a block away from Randall's). There is a Fiesta further down towards the museums. The Randall's went down hill awhile ago, but they have since redone it, and it is nice again. I usually shop Spec's and Whole Foods on Kirby (Randall's when I don't want to go far.

You will still need a vehicle living downtown (if that is what you mean by day-to-day life).

It is pretty noisy in downtown as well, especially right now with all the construction. You don't really notice it during the day, but at night when you are trying to sleep you will hear the traffic (buses are loud as hell, as are the firetrucks that you will hear nightly, the train you will barely hear). Don't worry though, you will get use to it fast (buy soft ear plugs though, just incase).

My only real complaint about downtown would be the bums... you will find out soon enough if you move here.

• Like 1

Also, Spec's (a block away from Randall's). There is a Fiesta further down towards the museums. The Randall's went down hill awhile ago, but they have since redone it, and it is nice again. I usually shop Spec's and Whole Foods on Kirby (Randall's when I don't want to go far.

You will still need a vehicle living downtown (if that is what you mean by day-to-day life).

It is pretty noisy in downtown as well, especially right now with all the construction. You don't really notice it during the day, but at night when you are trying to sleep you will hear the traffic (buses are loud as hell, as are the firetrucks that you will hear nightly, the train you will barely hear). Don't worry though, you will get use to it fast (buy soft ear plugs though, just incase).

My only real complaint about downtown would be the bums... you will find out soon enough if you move here.

I usually shop at Randall's. It's much nicer than the alternative, Fiesta. Just found out last night that Spec's has somewhat of a selection of groceries. Didn't look that close, but I doubt it will be where I get my weekly staples from. There is the Whole Foods and a Central Market and a Krogers in the Upper Kirby area. There's also a CVS in the Kirby Lofts that's really conveinent and pricey, but great for times when you just need to grab a few things. There's also various corner stores, like the infamous Just A Dollar at the end of the block. I try to stay away from there as much as possible, there's always bums hanging outside begging and my friends tell me it stinks so bad in there that when they left they could still smell it on there clothes. The other corner store aren't that bad I don't think but I'd rather hop in the car or on the rail and go to Randall's. There's also places in the Tunnel, but I'm never home during the time they're open.

As far as day-to-day living, its nice being close to everything and also having various options of transportation. You could drive, walk, rail, bus, or bike wherever you want/need to go. I prefer walking or the rail, it's a hassle finding and paying for parking. But sometimes it's tough getting to places like a Wal-Mart, of course one could just hop in the car and go, but I like doing everything downtown. There is a Target in the Heights that I go to sometimes.

And yea it can be noisy at times, but I have no complaints. I mean it is the City life, if you want peace and quiet move to the suburbs. And honestly, I live on the third floor facing Main Street and if I'm watching tv at a normal volume I can barely here the noise on the street. I do hear the buses and trucks going by and the train and the train announcer's voice and people talking and sirens sometimes, but it's the sounds of the City and none of them bother me and none keep me awake at night.

And yes the bums are definitely a problem, especially when you have visitors over. You get used to people asking you for money and seeing the same bums on the corners but when you're bringing someone over to show off the new place its kind of embarassing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ryan,

Have been looking into this place for the past 3 weeks and have done all of my research. Im going to give it a couple weeks to make a decision but would love to hear what you have to say about your experience living there has been so far....so you really have 24/7 access to the mckinney garage through the tunnel? if thats so that would totally ease my worries about parking since we would have the direct access from the lobby to the tunnel/garage. the prices on these units are very attractive now.

I really bought a place. Of course my posts are going to be a bit biased, it is my home now. I know it's not perfect, and I would tell anyone thinking about it to look at this as being here at least 5 years and to seriously consider getting a parking spot. But I don't work for the realtor, they're great guys, but my ultimate concern is filling up the building and yes that happens to be in line with the realtors. But wouldn't that be your goal if you had just purchased here? If you have any fears or concerns about this place, ask me about them and I'll tell you the truth. But overall I just wanted people to know that there are folks besides the realtors who believe in this place and see the value in it and see the great location it has and the potential it has.
Edited by AceReade
  • Like 1

Ryan,

Have been looking into this place for the past 3 weeks and have done all of my research. Im going to give it a couple weeks to make a decision but would love to hear what you have to say about your experience living there has been so far....so you really have 24/7 access to the mckinney garage through the tunnel? if thats so that would totally ease my worries about parking since we would have the direct access from the lobby to the tunnel/garage. the prices on these units are very attractive now.

It's been great so far, the folks that have bought (all 4 or 5 of them) are friendly, I think the building just got rid of two renters for non payment of HOA fees so the management is responsive and looking out for our best interest. There's also a porter during the day 9-5 m-f who's very nice and helpful, he keeps the place in great shape. We do have 24 hr access to the McKinney garage through the tunnel, although sometimes the security gaurd in the McKinney building gives me some grief about coming through there after hours, but now that they're used to seeing me I don't have any problems. And its actually easier to just go out on the street instead of going downstairs to the tunnel and then up the stairs through the building to the garage, of course late at night or if its raining that's a different story. But living there is great, the carpets in the elevators got messed up and they put down the plain white berber carpert and I hope they replace it to the original, it looked a little better. I love being dowtown, I can walk to the Rockets, then the House of Blues on my way back and love going to Discovery Green or Sambuca's, bayou place, and riding the train down to the Museum District. I just wish the CVS was open more. And I hope that corner store at Main and Walker is bought out and turned into something really nice, upscale restraunt... The bums and beggars are pretty bad right there, but called 311 after I saw a guy relieving himself in broad daylight one Saturday and about 2 cops on bikes and 2 in a squad car showed up in about 5 min and cleared out the place. As far as the unit itself, there are some changes I want to make, paint, carpet, marble tiles, appliances, but thats all subjective and everyone has their own tastes. We did get some water leaks around the windows during the storm that the management still hasn't checked out. The Porter came and took a look two weeks after the storm and then nothing. I don't know if it's there responsibility or mine, but wish they would let me know one way or another. But I can't complain too much, folks in the St. Germain and Capitol Lofts just three blocks up lost all their windows. Other than that, I can't think of anything to complain about. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Hope to see you around,

Ryan

It's been great so far, the folks that have bought (all 4 or 5 of them) are friendly, I think the building just got rid of two renters for non payment of HOA fees so the management is responsive and looking out for our best interest. There's also a porter during the day 9-5 m-f who's very nice and helpful, he keeps the place in great shape. We do have 24 hr access to the McKinney garage through the tunnel, although sometimes the security gaurd in the McKinney building gives me some grief about coming through there after hours, but now that they're used to seeing me I don't have any problems. And its actually easier to just go out on the street instead of going downstairs to the tunnel and then up the stairs through the building to the garage, of course late at night or if its raining that's a different story. But living there is great, the carpets in the elevators got messed up and they put down the plain white berber carpert and I hope they replace it to the original, it looked a little better. I love being dowtown, I can walk to the Rockets, then the House of Blues on my way back and love going to Discovery Green or Sambuca's, bayou place, and riding the train down to the Museum District. I just wish the CVS was open more. And I hope that corner store at Main and Walker is bought out and turned into something really nice, upscale restraunt... The bums and beggars are pretty bad right there, but called 311 after I saw a guy relieving himself in broad daylight one Saturday and about 2 cops on bikes and 2 in a squad car showed up in about 5 min and cleared out the place. As far as the unit itself, there are some changes I want to make, paint, carpet, marble tiles, appliances, but thats all subjective and everyone has their own tastes. We did get some water leaks around the windows during the storm that the management still hasn't checked out. The Porter came and took a look two weeks after the storm and then nothing. I don't know if it's there responsibility or mine, but wish they would let me know one way or another. But I can't complain too much, folks in the St. Germain and Capitol Lofts just three blocks up lost all their windows. Other than that, I can't think of anything to complain about. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Hope to see you around,

Ryan

Thanks for the info. You know that the units are starting to sell right? I believe they have about 7 under contract now, 5 of which have came within the last 2 weeks after the price reduction. Im pretty sure we will be putting in an offer within the next month if everything still looks up.

What is the parking contract like? 24/7 access to the garage?

Parking is $155, around $175 with taxes and fees. Yes, 24/7 access, just a hassle messing with the security guard in 1001 McKinney sometimes. Most of them are cool, but the one overnight always gives me trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Just talked to the listing agent for the bank and someone has put all the units under contract. Agent says they're local but their agent is out of California. The Agent is under the impression the buyer has done this before, bought units to flip them, but doesn't know for sure and has never heard of them before. It's all up in the air right now, and I don't see it working unless they can get some parking spots to include with the units. The only logical parking garage is behind us at 1001 mckinney, but i don't see them selling the garage or individual spots there, the place stays full. I see the units back in the bank in two years!!! Hope I'm wrong though.

• 2 months later...
So whats the deal with this place? They seem very tempting to me since I work in downtown. The prices are really cheap but is there a catch somewhere.

With no parking and very few building amenities the resale of these will be a pain. The location is amazing though (minus the bums).

With no parking and very few building amenities the resale of these will be a pain. The location is amazing though (minus the bums).

I live here and would have to agree with the above. We did add a parking spot for each unit though. It's at the McKinney Place Garage, included with the monthly HOA, and there was even a reduction in the monthly fee. But without the guarantee of long term parking at a stabilized rate, resale will be tough. Oh and there's a lot less bums around. Not sure if they go somewhere for Winter, or if that round up HPD did a few months go is the reason.

Edited by ryan3230

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed on the H.A.R. website that there is a huge foreclosure rate there. I also wondered what the view from there was like. From HAR's pictures it doesn't seem good. I see the parking garage across the street in most of them. It is a very nice place, and wondered what the problem was. The bumbs around that dollar store are annoying and probably hurt the values and sales, but that's part of downtown living too. Bumbs have been downtown for many years and don't expect them to leave any time soon. Maybe they should move the security guards near the front door so it appears more safe.

I live here and would have to agree with the above. We did add a parking spot for each unit though. It's at the McKinney Place Garage, included with the monthly HOA, and there was even a reduction in the monthly fee. But without the guarantee of long term parking at a stabilized rate, resale will be tough. Oh and there's a lot less bums around. Not sure if they go somewhere for Winter, or if that round up HPD did a few months go is the reason.

Well that is some progress for getting people to move in I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

Roundup they did? What? Did they round up all the bums or something?

• 2 weeks later...
Roundup they did? What? Did they round up all the bums or something?

Yes, it was around October sometime, the police were out around 6am arresting the homeless and hauling them off to jail. Probably a month or so later I saw some of the usuals back in their spots, for about a week, and now nothing. On the weekends we'll get some new wanderers that hang around the dollar store, but the police are there more often too and usually push them away after a few hours.

I have noticed on the H.A.R. website that there is a huge foreclosure rate there. I also wondered what the view from there was like. From HAR's pictures it doesn't seem good. I see the parking garage across the street in most of them. It is a very nice place, and wondered what the problem was. The bumbs around that dollar store are annoying and probably hurt the values and sales, but that's part of downtown living too. Bumbs have been downtown for many years and don't expect them to leave any time soon. Maybe they should move the security guards near the front door so it appears more safe.

Yes, there is a high foreclosure rate. I'd say about 90% of the units were foreclosed on. The view isn't spectacular, its not like you're in the Galleria and can look out and see the Downtown Skyline, or see really anything for that matter except for the garage across the street. But it is pretty cool at night being able to look up and see Chase Tower or the top of the Esperson building. And during the daytime and weekend, its cool being able to watch people going about life on Main Street. True there are bums and they are apart of downtown living, its something you get used to right away. But as I've said before, after the roundup of the homeless and the bums the police did in October, I haven't seen the regulars anymore, there are a few that show up every now and then, but nothing like it was at the end of last Summer. Also, the building does not have a security guard, we have a porter that makes sure the place stays clean and takes care of packages, but he's gone by 5pm each day. There is a guard in the Chapel that keeps the bums off the sidewalks, and theres a mean lady in the dollar store that keeps the bums in check, that lady can yell!!!

When people watching, I always wonder, when people board the train at 9pm on a Sunday night headed Northbound at the Main St. Square station with a suitcase, where are they going. There are only two stops left before the train turns around and starts going Southbound, and the last stop, UH-Downtown (or whatever they call it nowadays) is closed on Sundays, so why would they get on the train there? And it never fails, every Sunday I spot at least two people doing this, so its not a fluke. Other cool things to watch, people driving the wrong way, people driving the wrong way on the train track, people thinking the sidewalk on Main Street Square is a street, people driving into the fountain pond, people getting hit by the train, people drunk walking from the bars, historic tours going by and stopping in front of the building and then pointing at the building, I wonder what they say about the place? Metro cops, jaywalkers and the cops that harass them.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

They've sold about 30 units this year already and there are 20 or so left on the market.

They finally lowered the price enough to get some investor interest apparently.

Actually owner occupancy in the building is over 80%. Many first time home buyers. They finally lowered the price enough to be a price point you could never afford in downtown before.

i know someone who just got a great deal on a foreclosure. ~90K less than its last sale.

It will be a great deal as long as they can keep their arrangement with the parking garage across the street. Otherwise, selling those units will be tough.

• The title was changed to Kirby Lofts On Main St.
  • The title was changed to Kirby Lofts At 917 Main St.
  • 4 months later...