Leave My East End Alone

I dread to see the day when my neighborhood of 30+ years ends up being just like the Montrose/Heights area. As soon as the artists and musicians move in, the developers are sure to follow. What a sad trend: the 'arty' types move in because of the affordable housing and create a vibe, then the yuppies want a piece of it and end up driving property values through the roof. I have nothing against middle-class people, I just don't like how they take over an area (like what has happened in the Montrose/Heights areas).

I dread to see the day when my neighborhood of 30+ years ends up being just like the Montrose/Heights area. As soon as the artists and musicians move in, the developers are sure to follow. What a sad trend: the 'arty' types move in because of the affordable housing and create a vibe, then the yuppies want a piece of it and end up driving property values through the roof. I have nothing against middle-class people, I just don't like how they take over an area (like what has happened in the Montrose/Heights areas).

Well, I have nothing against people who are not middle-class, but I don't like how they assert ownership over an entrire neighborhood without any rational basis for doing so.

No...you leave MY east end alone.

Ha ha ha, how about we split it up and charge exorbitant rents? Oh wait, that's what might happen in several years thanks to the Weingarten realty group. It's a shame what they are doing to the River Oaks Theatre!

The "arty types" are already there! Which part of the East End are you in?

Have you ever met any of the visual artists, musicians, actors, writers in your neighborhood?

The triangle formed by Telephone/I-45 and Griggs- near Sugar Hill Studios.

Of course I've met them- I went to high school with a lot of musicians and they still live in the area. A lot of them moved into the Montrose/Heights area and now they seem to have moved back...but closer to the Eastwood area. I don't know the street boundaries of the 'East End' but I'm pretty sure it extends down to the area I live in. Does anyone know where exactly it ends (610/45 South)?

The use of "my" in the the header of my post was sarcastic- I'm sure there are plenty of people on here that also reside in the East End. :)

Ha ha ha, how about we split it up and charge exorbitant rents?

Sounds good to me.

Oh wait, that's what might happen in several years thanks to the Weingarten realty group. It's a shame what they are doing to the River Oaks Theatre!

Huh? Seriously....what projects/properties does Weingarten have in the east end?

I dread to see the day when my neighborhood of 30+ years ends up being just like the Montrose/Heights area.

I am torn. I like the "low" taxes but taxes can "only" go up 10% per year max. I figure they're going to go up at least 5% no matter what so capping out at 10% is only a minor difference. And, I would gladly pay that 5% if it meant an improvement in residents/quality of life, meaning, more respectful residents of a higher education level. It's ok where I live, but to have more yuppies would mean the place would look a lot better and be a little less noisy. And, I would welcome people who would be active in the community. People here are afraid to speak out, and so things can get worse and it's almost impossible to get anyone to do anything. I would also like to see the quaint homes in my nabe better cared for and restored, and the place turned into the garden spot that it could be. I have heavenly imaginings, which can only lead to frustration right now. I've learned not to be frustrated however, by doing what I can to improve things, but at the same time, living contently as is as much as possible.

Development-wise, I don't see the East End getting anywhere near as congested and befuddled as Montrose. I wasn't here when Montrose was raw and funky, but the East End is much bigger and has a very distinct commercial area from Harrisburg north, and south of there is almost all residential, with gentle retail along the arteries. It's a semi-suburban atmosphere that works well and I see that setup remaining, even if townhouses replace houses in many neighborhoods. The small core of activists in this area are very protective of things and work tightly with Councilmember Alvarado, and most likely will do the same with whomever replaces her in November. The West End just seems to have busy streets every few blocks, as if the residential areas are just little pockets. So, what I'm trying to say is that the East End has geography and layout in its favor and, with an influx of caring people, the potential is enormous and I'm hoping to enjoy some of that.

One thing I fear is getting hammered with drug rehab facilities, homeless shelters (Mayor wants them off the streets), SROs and "affordable housing", as the City (Mayor) has decided that we have major shortages and obviously the West End is just too expensive and has too many NIMBYs to even try over there.

One thing I fear is getting hammered with drug rehab facilities, homeless shelters (Mayor wants them off the streets), SROs and "affordable housing", as the City (Mayor) has decided that we have major shortages and obviously the West End is just too expensive and has too many NIMBYs to even try over there.

I couldn't agree more. Apparently there is chatter that there are plans for the Hou-Tex Inn to be used for this.

That is really agravating to see these places turned into half way houses. Why don't they build places like this out in the suburbs were these people probably came from in the first place. I recall a church group from Clear Lake would come into Root Square Park on sundays to feed the less fortunate. This kind of activity only encouraged these types to hang out nearby all week long for the free meal on sunday. Why can't these do gooders send a bus instead a take these unfortunates to their own neighborhood and feed them there. Okay I"ll stop.

He's got to put unemployeed Katrina folks somewhere when FEMA cuts the bloodline, New Orleans isn't taking them back.

concur 100%. if he said that, he would not be reelected. i know the city housing rep was asked that question several times and he ignored it each time.

The "arty types" are already there! Which part of the East End are you in?

Have you ever met any of the visual artists, musicians, actors, writers in your neighborhood?

Can you elaborate a bit about the "arty types". I knew Sugar Hill Studios were in area, but not know where [as example]. I'm not into the arts now as old houses & grandkids take most of my time.

• 1 month later...

We yuppies (that includes Buppies, Guppies, and DINKs) aren't all bad. I mean, we want the same things that everyone else wants. Nice neighborhoods, nice homes, and good prices.

Hopefully, we'll all make good neighbors.

Guest danax
We yuppies (that includes Buppies, Guppies, and DINKs) aren't all bad. I mean, we want the same things that everyone else wants. Nice neighborhoods, nice homes, and good prices.

Come on over, macbro. Yuppies and diversity are both needed over here. Check out Pecan Park, the last of the sub-$100K decent inner-loop nabes.

I'll shout it from the highest mountain! Yuppies, etc come on down! I told everyone a month ago I will get the barbecue pit started, free brew anything! Block party, whatever! SOS desperate! :P

I am probably considered a yuppie, and will be moving to the East End once I find the right house. I think gentrification of this area is imminent, due to the proximity to downtown, the low prices, and the irreplaceable "feel" of older, established neighborhoods. It is my hope that the East End will attract people who appreciate the assets that the area already has, and that there will be more renovation than demolition.

I am probably considered a yuppie, and will be moving to the East End once I find the right house. I think gentrification of this area is imminent, due to the proximity to downtown, the low prices, and the irreplaceable "feel" of older, established neighborhoods. It is my hope that the East End will attract people who appreciate the assets that the area already has, and that there will be more renovation than demolition.

give the east side a chance. one person sure can make a difference! each house that is restored does turn heads and causes others to make improvements to their homes.

Dan the Man,

Love the handle, and please do move into the area. My wife and I have lived over here for 3 years and have seen the area change quite a bit already. Co-workers of my wifes at her real estate office say this is going to be the next "Montrose" due to the price, quality of housing stock, location, etc.... I have had to crack down on a few neighbors here and there to keep the noise down or keep a semi truck from being parked on the street but we all get along well now pretty much and everyone comments on just how nice it is here and how quiet which makes me quite proud!!!

But anyhow please do share what type of home you are looking for, size, price, etc... and we will keep our eyes open for any deals that pop up.

Regards,

Scharpe St Guy

• The title was changed to Leave My East End Alone