15 hours to Dubai

tcole

As reported in the Comical this am. 3 flights/week to start. Daily in Feb. '08. Second US gateway for Emirates after NY.

That is great! I travel to Saudi Arabia about 2-3 times a year. I have taken the Emirates flight from NY, which is about 14.5 hours. It is actually a nice flight (I get to fly business class). I am not surprised since the flight Emirates shared with Continental through London always had a lot of Emirates passengers. I will miss the 6 hour layover in NYC. Emirates had a deal that if you flew first/business class on the NY-Dubai flight you could have dinner at the Ritz-Carlton and then a car would wait for you there and take you to JFK. Maybe they will have a deal like that in Houston.

This is HUGE for Houston.

Past efforts to connect IAH with the Middle East haven't been too successful because all attempts failed to utilize non-stop flights. This one will be a money-maker for sure, especially if Continental code-shares or buys large blocks of seats on the flights (like they do on Virgin Atlantic to London Heatthrow).

IAH is doing very well. AeroMexico recently expanded. China Airlines will be adding another weekly flight. Rumors of Korean Airlines coming soon. Plus, numerous cargo services have just started (Korean, China Air, Saudi Arabian expansion).

China Airlines will be adding another weekly flight.

i didn't know the CI would be adding another flight. do you mean the cargo service or PAX service? i've had conversations with Molly Waites of HAS and she said the both CI and PK aren't leaving, so thats good. and now the Emirates is coming, this is just opening up the door for more international carriers. good job houston!

Ahhhhhh shuky shuky now!!

I'm looking forward to taking this direct flight in the future. Dubai's totally DJ'licious. I be up in Dubai, just workin' on my fitness. She's my witness! (oooooohhhhhweeeeee!)

I love IAH, but I hear Dubai has one of the most luxurious airports in the world. What are the odds of someone doing the point-and-laugh when they come back to Houston from Dubai?

China Airlines will be adding another weekly PAX flight this spring according to airliners.net.

Now, what will be interesting is to see if any of the Euro carriers at IAH see a drop in business since BA, AF, KL, and LH all see lots of high yielding business pax take their flights LGW/LHR, CDG, AMS, and FRA in order to connect to the Middle East.

Dubai airport is basically one big shopping mall with some gates mixed in. It is impressive but I think Terminal E can hold its ground just fine. I flew the Emirates route Dubai to London recently and its a dope airline! 600 channels on the personal TV set, and fly stewardeses. I'm excited, this will make travel to South Asia much easier.

Long time forum watcher... first time poster! :-)

I think this is GREAT news for Houston. I have read that Emirates was looking at Houston, but I didn't actually think it would happen this quickly. Not only is this great because it's a new airline flying to Houston with new non-stop service to what's going to be an amazing city (if not already a great city) in a different part of the world, but I think it says a lot about Houston that we were the second U.S. city chosen by this airline to fly to after New York! Not Chicago or L.A. and especially not Dallas (not that I am into that whole Houston vs. Dallas stuff... both are great cities).... but Houston! I realize it's b/c Houston is the Energy capitol of the U.S..... but it still says a lot and it's still great for the city. I realize it's not hard to fly to almost any major city in the world from Houston with only having to connect once, but it's just so much more convienent to fly non-stop. Not sure if I will ever travel to Dubai, but this makes me want to just a little bit more. In the future, I would love to see Houston to Hong Kong or Houston to Sydney... though Dubai is great, too! B)

Well, Dubai is usually used as a hopping point to the Indian subcontinent from NA, NOT the general Middle East. Maybe some use it to hop to Oman and some of the Gulf States, but certainly not places like Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, etc.

China Airlines will be adding another weekly PAX flight this spring according to airliners.net.

Now, what will be interesting is to see if any of the Euro carriers at IAH see a drop in business since BA, AF, KL, and LH all see lots of high yielding business pax take their flights LGW/LHR, CDG, AMS, and FRA in order to connect to the Middle East.

I live by the big airport and like watching the jets through my binoculars as they fly overhead does this mean i will get to see new aircaft? :)

Isn't Emirates going to be one of the first airliners to get the A380? That would be sweet to see in Houston. Is IAH ready for an A380?

you have to remember, they have lots of oil money to blow on buildings without being accountable to what its being spent on.

as far as the A380 goes, i think they were one of the carriers that got tired of the schedule and is taking a wait and see measure and are leaning towards the new Boeing aircraft.

Isn't Emirates going to be one of the first airliners to get the A380? That would be sweet to see in Houston. Is IAH ready for an A380?

It is one of the big buyers of the A380, though apparently it hasn't been thrilled with the delays and might cancel some orders. However I don't think the A380 is capable of flying nonstop from Dubai to Houston (and I wouldn't expect the route would support the number of passengers).

It is one of the big buyers of the A380, though apparently it hasn't been thrilled with the delays and might cancel some orders. However I don't think the A380 is capable of flying nonstop from Dubai to Houston (and I wouldn't expect the route would support the number of passengers).

yes, and the fact that IAH isn't A380 ready. they may have the proper taxiways, but not the gates. anyways, once CO introduces the 787-8 in 2008/09 and soon other carriers as well, we'll be seeing alot of direct routes to asia, africa and more to south america. its going to be a wonderful aircraft...

yes, and the fact that IAH isn't A380 ready. they may have the proper taxiways, but not the gates. anyways, once CO introduces the 787-8 in 2008/09 and soon other carriers as well, we'll be seeing alot of direct routes to asia, africa and more to south america. its going to be a wonderful aircraft...

That may be true, but they are prepared to make the changes when a carrier lets them know they plan to fly an A380 in to IAH. That would presumably take very little time. But agreed with the earlier post that the Dubai flight would probably not have the traffic for an A380 anyway. I would think the potential customers would much prefer greater frequency of flights over a giant aircraft with low flight frequency.

There was a note on MPR a couple of weeks ago that UPS is tired of waiting, too, and has cancelled its entire A380 order.

I wonder what route they'll take to make it IAH-DUB in 15-hours. I flew IAH-CDG a few times, and that was 13 hours, so they're obviously not going the northern route.

Worst non-stop I ever took was 22 hours EWR-SIN. Never again.

That may be true, but they are prepared to make the changes when a carrier lets them know they plan to fly an A380 in to IAH. That would presumably take very little time. But agreed with the earlier post that the Dubai flight would probably not have the traffic for an A380 anyway. I would think the potential customers would much prefer greater frequency of flights over a giant aircraft with low flight frequency.

yes, but i don't forsee any carriers bringing in the A380 to houston. and it takes lots of money and time to prepare taxiways, runways, lighting, spacing, gates, etc. its been a mess for some like LAX...

Great news! If they are planning on doing it in 15 hours, it will definetly be a 4 engined jet. Not limited to the distance from land restrictions like twin engined jets. My guess is they will use the A340-500. Its capable of making the jump nonstop.

actually they will be flying the 772LR when they are delivered sometime this year...

I made three trips to Dubai last year and will likely make more trips over there in the future. I'm obviously very happy that this service is being implemented. The only drawback is that it doesn't start until December...

And yes, Emirates has the best in-flight entertainment I've ever experienced. Literally thousands of movies, albums and TV shows on demand.

I made three trips to Dubai last year and will likely make more trips over there in the future. I'm obviously very happy that this service is being implemented. The only drawback is that it doesn't start until December...

And yes, Emirates has the best in-flight entertainment I've ever experienced. Literally thousands of movies, albums and TV shows on demand.

Well hopefully there are more people that feel the way you do and this carrier will succeed here and grow.

Well hopefully there are more people that feel the way you do and this carrier will succeed here and grow.

well, as far as the oil business goes, Qatar Airlines and Virgin Nigeria have expressed interest. the best thing about emirates, again, is that its a direct non-stop flight as oppossed to a stopover in manchester or london. but perhaps a stop-over wouldn't be bad now. IAH and HAS as a whole has grown expodentially and houston seems to be a hot market for middle-eastern and asian carriers wanting to fly here...

I wonder what route they'll take to make it IAH-DUB in 15-hours. I flew IAH-CDG a few times, and that was 13 hours, so they're obviously not going the northern route.

Really? I've made IAH-CDG before in less than nine hours. It's about the same distance as IAH-LGW, which usually runs around 8-9 hours as well. Now CDG-IAH takes longer. Last September it was just over 10 hours when I flew it. If it took you 13 hours on the eastbound journey than you must have hit some pretty serious headwinds.

Really? I've made IAH-CDG before in less than nine hours. It's about the same distance as IAH-LGW, which usually runs around 8-9 hours as well. Now CDG-IAH takes longer. Last September it was just over 10 hours when I flew it. If it took you 13 hours on the eastbound journey than you must have hit some pretty serious headwinds.

My bf and I flew IAH-LGW in the spring of 2005 on British Airways and it was about 9-10 hours going with about an hour extra coming back.

On another note... I am really suprised, though excited, that this Emirates flight to and from Houston is going to be daily starting in early 2008... especially since the one to and from NYC is only 3 times a week. I wonder if their service to NYC will be going daily in the near future, also.

No, I believe the NYC service is more than daily now, although some of the flights stop in Hamburg.

My bf and I flew IAH-LGW in the spring of 2005 on British Airways and it was about 9-10 hours going with about an hour extra coming back.

On another note... I am really suprised, though excited, that this Emirates flight to and from Houston is going to be daily starting in early 2008... especially since the one to and from NYC is only 3 times a week. I wonder if their service to NYC will be going daily in the near future, also.

Archived