mod interiors

GREASER

noguchi, nice..

hardwood floors are your strongest point, look at some work by alvar aalto, or any other Scandinavian modernist

do you have any pics of the windows or better plan/section dwgs, Quality of Light is the design mainstay of modernism

I struggle with this all the time so I am no one to give advise but there is a nice photo spread in this month's Blueprint magazine. The photos are of a 1941 ranch house in Austin. While it's not purist it has a lot of the elements that I think you're looking for. The photos have that warm, comfy lived in Mod feel.

From what I can see, I'd say that maybe the rug isn't so MCM-esque. Wait, did I just coin a new term? Kidding, anyhow something softer that balances the wall color but a little lighter with some texture, and a little larger in scale. Or maybe just some pattern. Hate to say it, but check West Elm. I think your furniture is really great. I love Wassily chairs, but they make the room more Bauhaus than googie. The sofa, too. Something that will make everything in the room feel more cohesive would be painting the baseboards and trim the same color of the walls. I think someone already mentioned that and it is a great idea. If you want the whole house to feel cohesive you could maybe continue it into adjoining rooms. I think continuity of style is something that is really imortant in design that people often ignore. As far as artwork, I think some great simple vintage looking photography would look nice as well as a few colorful geometric pieces. Finally, a couple of lamps, with really big shades would do the trick.

Check out this link: This place is very high budget but has a great look and could be done for much less. Maybe you will see some looks that you can implement.

http://www.midcenturyrealestate.com/proper...7desertsun.html

Wow, incredible house! Now if I only had an extra $2.5 mil laying around... :P

• 4 weeks later...

When I look at mod houses, I love the interiors and the general look that says hey this house is a mod....I try to replicate this stuff in my own house, but no matter what, it just looks like a classic house with mod furniture. So the question is what are the qualities that tie this whole look together? Some may be color? Thinking more earth colors but not sure. Windows, doors???? Maybe its just the way the house is, but I am tired of this looking like an old lady house.

Hi, I am new to this site~ Jason told me about it this evening (willowisp) Great site!!!! My name is Karen and I have had a store here in Houston for 8 years. You may have heard of it. Metro Modern next to Mai's on Milam. Now I have a new store next door and I do vintage accessories for the modern home. Anyway, I have read some of the suggestions that people have given you for your house. They are great. If you are looking for some of these things like rugs, art, stop buy. This is not an email to get you to just come in the store, but an email to let you know that there are other places other than west elm or ikea to help with you with your home. I did the decoration in Jason and Vanessa's home on willowisp. They can vouch for me. Also, Cool Stuff on Westheimer. They are really sweet people and we both are very reasonable. All the best, Karen (Modpuppy)

Just my 2 cents... Karen is great to work with. She's been very patient with our budget and slow timeline to get our mod pieces. As just one example, I'm especially pleased with the "office area" in our den. Karen steered us toward a Knoll style dining room table for a desk (yes, I still need to hide the cords) and Knoll credenza for the office supplies. We're not up to Jason and Venessa's standards, but we're getting there. ;)

Allison

IMG_0371.jpg

• 6 months later...
Just curious - what other 'mod' lifestyle choices do people make?

Do you find yourselves leaning towards cool jazz? or macaroni and cheese?

Vacuuming while wearing high heels and pearls?

Yeah, where I live now is very "un-mod", so I have to compensate for the lack of mod trappings by drinking, smoking, and listening to Chet Baker. ^_^

Archived